T-mo version has FM radio active and working

Search This thread

Infobits

Jul 11, 2009
FYI for those who care, despite what most reviews I read said, my T-mo S8 FM radio works fine: just download next radio from Google, plug in headphones for antenna and you all set.

Hey Thanks for that find! What a pleasant surprise to find that a FM radio tuner is included in my Galaxy S8! I just installed that "next radio" app and receiving all my local FM radio stations here in NYC area using the AKG supplied earphone cord plugged in as the antenna. The tuner even seems to be really sensitive picking up the signals really well.
What a nice bonus to have built into this T-Mobile S8 phone. I would suspect that all the other S8 variants have the radio built in also...?

Reactions: sweets55

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
If its in a tmobile phone isnt it in all of them?? seems really really odd if samsung made a phone specifically just for tmobile with different hardware in it

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
Yes they all have but some carriers lock the the chip(fm receiver)

great, so if i have sim free then i have fm radio!! didnt even know it had one, didnt see it in any of the specs!!

I can't see next radio on the play store though. i googled it on my pc and play store said it was not compatible with any of my devices, and refused to install. im using S8+ sim free G955F! I guess exynos doesn't have the fm receiver :(

Last edited:

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
I saw at least one review where it said no FM radio. Now, as far as I know all Qualcom Snapdragons have radio build in, but often they're disabled. I do not know if Exynos have it? Being on 9/11 in Manhattan and during znd after Hurricane Sandy on Long Island, having FM radio in your phone could be more than just convenience, especially that I do not have battery operated radio anymore except in a car and now in the phone.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
You need wired headset to act as antenna. You could get old headphones, cut them off and try using shorter wire alone as antenna, but I do not know if you can reroute sound from headphones to speakers or BT. I used to have old phone that had a switch in menu, where sound could bypass headphones and go to speaker or BT even with headphones plugged in, but don't think S8 has this capability and it would have to be hacked somehow.

androidbuff123

Aug 24, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Actually I think this time it was Samsung who put the foot down and told carriers how they wanted to sell their phones through them. This is why you don't have any carrier branding either

ericdabbs

Jun 28, 2007
Los Angeles
I hate how carriers can dictate their own stupid model hardware. They should all have the same hardware regardless of which carrier you have but have different software. I still hate all the carrier bloatware though.

barisgg

Jan 19, 2017
If you flash factory binary there is an app that lets you listen without headphones, I've been trying to think of a way to get that to install on stock or get the ability to launch it since it seems to be already installed on stock. Doubt it can be done without root, but maybe someone can figure it out?

barisgg

Jan 19, 2017
Just says fm radio, you can just Google Samsung fm radio all the ones I try says that it conflicts with a package of the same name on stock, probably need to wait for root if it ever happens to make it work

Ddan29

May 3, 2014
Ddan

It's working on my S7 edge as well not only the S8. I flashed factory binary on my S8 plus and did a backup of the fm radio app and transferred to my s7 edge and guess what? Working perfectly without any problem. Thanks samsung for snapdragon chipset.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI for those who care, despite what most reviews I read said, my T-mo S8 FM radio works fine: just download next radio from Google, plug in headphones for antenna and you all set.

Hey Thanks for that find! What a pleasant surprise to find that a FM radio tuner is included in my Galaxy S8! I just installed that "next radio" app and receiving all my local FM radio stations here in NYC area using the AKG supplied earphone cord plugged in as the antenna. The tuner even seems to be really sensitive picking up the signals really well.
    What a nice bonus to have built into this T-Mobile S8 phone. I would suspect that all the other S8 variants have the radio built in also...?
    AT&T here and works like a charm.
    Verizon here. FM radio is working