Pixel 3 Speakerphone issues?

Search This thread

stl-fan

Nov 4, 2012
I got my Pixel 3 unlocked from Google a couple of days ago. I really love the phone, but oddly, every time that I call my wife and I'm on speaker, it always takes 8-10 seconds for her to be able to hear me. This happens with no one else, as I've called multiple people on speaker. Google offered to RMA the device, but I'm not convinced that it's a hardware issue. If it's a software issue that will likely be fixed in the future, I will just keep this one. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, but I don't really want to go through the RMA process just for it to continue happening. Has anyone else had similar experiences? From what I can see on Reddit and elsewhere, it appears to be a rather commonplace issue. I just can't justify waiting for another device to solve a wide spread problem. If it was a fluke issue, then a factory replacement wouldn't make me nervous. I think that I am just going to return the device for a full refund and wait for something else to come out. Sucks though, because I otherwise loved this phone.

Last edited:

norman1080

Aug 24, 2010
Chicago
I have noticed this as well. I try to talk over the speaker and the person on the other end can't hear me for a little bit. I might try to RMA the phone. How'd you go about talked to Google Support about the issue? A phone call, chat or email?

stl-fan

Nov 4, 2012
I have noticed this as well. I try to talk over the speaker and the person on the other end can't hear me for a little bit. I might try to RMA the phone. How'd you go about talked to Google Support about the issue? A phone call, chat or email?

I was using the chat service, it worked fine. I haven't RMA'd the device. I went and got a new SIM card from AT&T and it seems better. I did tons of test calls to other people on different carriers and it only ever happened with my wife, who is in Verizon. For that reason, I don't think there is a hardware issue with my device, but I don't know what it might be.

stl-fan

Nov 4, 2012

I figured it out while I was messing with it yesterday. Turn off HD voice. "enhanced LTE" in the network settings menu and that fixes it. I am on AT&T and had great connectivity with same carrier subscribers, Sprint, and others. I tried calling multiple friends with Verizon and had the issue every time. So I just turned it off.

carlos_polanco

Mar 5, 2006
NJ
Update: it looks like December update fix my issue. Will update again if something happen :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This speakerphone issue is happening to me using TMobile and also using Whatsapp calls.

I noticed this issue because the phone is also not connecting to my Honda Civic 2016 Bluetooth and tried using the speakers.

I'll wait for December 2018 update and make lot of test before I contact Google.

I'm using the regular Pixel 3 white.

Last edited:
Reactions: norman1080

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
I have the same issue,,,when I first get a call and answer it with speakerphone no one can hear me for a few seconds then if I toggle speaker off then back on it works okay??

deblas66

Jun 7, 2012
NYC
I figured it out while I was messing with it yesterday. Turn off HD voice. "enhanced LTE" in the network settings menu and that fixes it. I am on AT&T and had great connectivity with same carrier subscribers, Sprint, and others. I tried calling multiple friends with Verizon and had the issue every time. So I just turned it off.

Doesn't this remove the ability to use group chats?

I got my wife the Pixel 3 at launch and we're on the 3rd phone because of this issue and it's still happening. It only happens on speakerphone (not regular) and her speakers seem to be fine which makes me think it's software and not hardware.

stl-fan

Nov 4, 2012
Doesn't this remove the ability to use group chats?

I got my wife the Pixel 3 at launch and we're on the 3rd phone because of this issue and it's still happening. It only happens on speakerphone (not regular) and her speakers seem to be fine which makes me think it's software and not hardware.

I agree with you. I think I'm still having issues with it even without it on. My wife is still saying it sounds like I'm in a tunnel any time I'm on speaker. I hope they get this resolved, and ASAP.

deblas66

Jun 7, 2012
NYC

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
I am wondering if anyone has tried turning off the wifi calling option? I havent tried that yet as it is the only thing I havent tried to see if my phone doesnt have problems when first answering a call with the phones speakerphone and people on the other end not being able to hear me for the first few seconds? I saw in a Google thread that there may be a problem with the handoff of wifi to actual LTE calling and it makes it difficult for the phones speaker to know where to apply the sound to? I dont have a sim in my phone currently so I am wondering anyone else tried this to see?

stl-fan

Nov 4, 2012
I am wondering if anyone has tried turning off the wifi calling option? I havent tried that yet as it is the only thing I havent tried to see if my phone doesnt have problems when first answering a call with the phones speakerphone and people on the other end not being able to hear me for the first few seconds? I saw in a Google thread that there may be a problem with the handoff of wifi to actual LTE calling and it makes it difficult for the phones speaker to know where to apply the sound to? I dont have a sim in my phone currently so I am wondering anyone else tried this to see?

I've had WiFi Calling and VoLTE disabled for a while now - still garbage call quality on speakerphone.

Reactions: Archangel

samxg_17

May 16, 2019
i have a new google pixel 3 after an ota update my speacker is not working anymore i tried to reboot the phone and even flashing it but nothing worke with me. can any one help please ?

moldovanos

Sep 30, 2012
I may have found a fix for this. Need you guys to confirm.

Goto the permissions of Google play services, and disable MIC permission. During phone calls you will see a 'this app needs permissions to run blah blah' ignore it. Test speaker phone now. I stumbled upon someone who mentioned this (can't find the post now) and I have had 0 issues w/ straight speaker phone.

I can't even make calls with mic permission disabled

bwgooch

Aug 25, 2017
I may have found a fix for this. Need you guys to confirm.

Goto the permissions of Google play services, and disable MIC permission. During phone calls you will see a 'this app needs permissions to run blah blah' ignore it. Test speaker phone now. I stumbled upon someone who mentioned this (can't find the post now) and I have had 0 issues w/ straight speaker phone.

My wife has this issue with her new Pixel 3 - oddly not when calling me (I have an S8) but when calling 3 other confirmed people (who [co-incidentally] all have iphones?). Even talking to them over handset first which is obviously fine, when she switches to speaker mid-call they can't hear her.

We tried this but she still has the issue.

kperk

Nov 23, 2016
My wife has this issue with her new Pixel 3 - oddly not when calling me (I have an S8) but when calling 3 other confirmed people (who [co-incidentally] all have iphones?). Even talking to them over handset first which is obviously fine, when she switches to speaker mid-call they can't hear her.

Newest update ending in C3 for my Pixel 3 has fixed my speakerphone problem, so far! Will keep you posted.

Reactions: bwgooch

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: it looks like December update fix my issue. Will update again if something happen :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This speakerphone issue is happening to me using TMobile and also using Whatsapp calls.

I noticed this issue because the phone is also not connecting to my Honda Civic 2016 Bluetooth and tried using the speakers.

I'll wait for December 2018 update and make lot of test before I contact Google.

I'm using the regular Pixel 3 white.

I've had WiFi Calling and VoLTE disabled for a while now - still garbage call quality on speakerphone.

Newest update ending in C3 for my Pixel 3 has fixed my speakerphone problem, so far! Will keep you posted.