[CM7][NIGHTLIES][STABLE][STOCK]Questions Answered! Common Definitions! Help Here!

Search This thread
A

ace7196

Information:
PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. Your question has already been answered. Use Google or the search function above. The Google link is a template for quicker searching of this site.

NC=Nook Color
stable=latest stable rom from Cyanogemmod. Your go-to ROM if you just want a good daily driver and do not want to worry about things not working.
nightly=the latest and greatest. Please only try if you are able to troubleshoot, understand basic computer concepts, are not a N00b.
N00b=A word I hate and you should never use. Please do not say I'm a noob that needs help. Simply ask can I please have some help.
rooting=This is NOT FLASHING A ROM. It is the act of taking a stock rom and installing super user privileges. Installing CM7 is NOT ROOTING.
CM=Short for Cyanogenmod. The amazing team of developers that make what you're reading and wanting to do possible. Thank them often and donate any way you can (in help, money, coding).
OP=original post (post #1 in a thread)
OC=overclocked
HC=Honeycomb
AOSP=Android Open Source Project
SD=SecureDigital storage (that little card that goes in your NC)
eMMC=internal memory (the "hard drive" of your NC)
ROM=the "operating system"
kernel="Translater" between your ROM and the NC hardware. You need the overclocked one to overclock. Flash after a rom is flashed. THERE WILL BE NO OC KERNEL FOR THE DEFAULT CM ROM, EVER. OVERVOLTAGES OF THE KERNEL WILL NOT BE INCLUDED.
FC=force close, or when an app crashes
SOD=sleep of death. When the NC will not wake from sleep. You need to hard shutdown, then reboot to fix this.
PBD=premature battery death. When the battery shows 3x-20x% battery life left, but shuts down without warning. This has been linked to people who updated their bootloader without first flashing to 1.2 stock and letting the battery drain all the way down. This is being looked into. You need to plug in your NC if you experience this.

Kernel Issues with CM7 stable:
  • Flashing OC kernel results in "ANDROID" hanging/bootloops on boot. You need to change the updater-script to ext4, or use this kernel. Here is information about the filesystems used.
  • Which OC kernel can I use with stable? The latest test (4/24) can be used. Both need the updater-script to be changed to ext4. Look here for information.
  • Please ensure you are running the latest Rom Manager and Clockwork Recovery. This will also fix problems with the kernel not loading and being stuck at "_ANDROID". Open market, download Rom Manager, install it, then flash the latest recovery for the NOOK COLOR (not NOOK COLOR (OLD), if that is still there). Now update your kernel/ROM.
  • I want to install an OC kernel to my SD rom! Head over here, Racks has all the kernels you could want.

CM7 Nightly Issues:
  • What overclocked kernel do I need?? The latest from dalingrin should do. Please read and understand (and use the search function) if you have questions/concerns. You're looking for the 5/23 .32 based kernel. Some may have issues with wifi, however.
  • I want to run this off of my SD card, not internal (eMMC) memory. Look at Racks for the answer.
  • Is it worth my time to upgrade to the latest nightly? You can check here. Changes specific to encore (the code name for the nook color) will have a slightly darker background, and if that is an issue you've had, it may be fixed now!
  • I want to run netflix on the NC! Download the netflix app and follow these instructions to have it run. If you don't know what it's asking to do, ask here!
  • I need the new uboot everyone is talking about! Get it here.
  • I want to try out USB Host support (VERY EXPERIMENTAL). Look here, read EVERYTHING, understand what you are doing!

Common Misconceptions/Questions:
  • Removing system apps (phone, mms, etc) will increase battery life! It has no effect. Stop it.
  • Using a task manager is a good idea in Android! That's not a good idea at all!
  • What do all these governors do/mean in setcpu/cyanogenmod performance settings? Look here for a great explanation. Also, DO NOT use setcpu PROFILES in CM7.
  • How do I install all these things? Check out eyeballer's awesome thread!

STOCK: NOOTER Distros:

Honeycomb (Android 3.0):

Thanks for the OP's that saved me from retyping all the answers (Nemith, luciferii, and dalingrin, verygreen, and fattire (and others) that have made CM into the amazing piece of work it is.

Last edited:
A

ace7196

Reserved for future awesomeness.

Last edited:

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
This is done with great intentions, but it is not going to work.

We know for a fact, that exactly those people who have questions, and post them in all the worst places, don't read any of the thread titles.

They don't read the information threads, they don't see "DON'T POST IN THIS DEVELOPMENT FORUM" warnings, and so on.

ALSO, this thread is just one more thing to rapidly become outdated - like the sticky thread that has months-old information.

All you have to do is go to a movie, go to sleep, or maybe even vacation, and immediately this has no longer correct information.

And it is one more thread pushing other development threads off the front page.

Fine idea, but it won't work in the real world.

A

ace7196

We know for a fact, that exactly those people who have questions, and post them in all the worst places, don't read any of the thread titles.

They don't read the information threads, they don't see "DON'T POST IN THIS DEVELOPMENT FORUM" warnings, and so on.

ALSO, this thread is just one more thing to rapidly become outdated - like the sticky thread that has months-old information.

All you have to do is go to a movie, go to sleep, or maybe even vacation, and immediately this has no longer correct information.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to keep it updated as long as I can. Since I'm on here pretty consistantly. When I can't afford the time to do so, I will pull the information.

I know no one reads these types of threads, but I just had 200+ views in under and hour, so hopefully this solved a few issues without added noise to the real threads.

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
I think what you're looking to do is make a FAQ or guide or something. Maybe a better place where people can all collaborate (and correct any errors you have made, and I see a few minor ones) would be set up a FAQ page on nookdevs.com or something..

Also, it may be a better idea to organize the bits of information by category so people can quickly find it. Use as few words as you can in the first sentence so that people scanning for their issue don't have to read the whole thing...

Finally, it's "dalingrin" :)

A

ace7196

Geez...if I had a dollar everytime I messed up dalingrin's spelling... :S

Yeah, I figured there would be a few half-truths in there from me not totally understanding what is going on as well as you guys, but feel free to PM or post on here where I can change stuff. I'll try to simplify it as well.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
I just read over the OP and holy SH*T that is confusing, no offense. Here are some tips for writing helpful FAQs/Guides:

• Space it out. Everything all clumped together in one block of text helps no one. Space it out (ie like this list).

• Add titles or headers in between sections (this goes along with the first point) to clearly guide people to where they need to read. People want to read what is pertinent to them; not read an entire block of text and then try to figure out which applies to their case. Help others help themselves. :cool:

• For all this CM7-specific information, add version numbers in front of bullet points (for the same reason as the previous point).

• Ironically, none of your "Common Questions" are actually Questions. Questions end with a "?". :D What you have are "Common Answers". Insert questions before them so people can quickly decide if reading that particular bullet point is pertinent to them.

• [5/10] Since this is all changing at such a ridiculously fast pace, add dates in front of bullet points where necessary (like at the beginning of this bullet point), so people can clearly tell what is outdated and what is new. I really wish Dal etc did this for his threads since a TON of the info in his threads are ridiculously out of date.

• Learn to use the [ list ] and [ * ] tags -- quote post #10 of this thread to see what I mean. :cool:

Just some friendly tips for writing helpful guides :)

Last edited:

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
Also the particular answers in the OP are very specific to the Alpha Test Builds of the last few days.

Those builds, like dalingrin's, are accompanied by FAQs right where the download link is.

The problem is that people talk about these things elsewhere, and even worse, put up mirror links without the FAQ - which just happened with the new Beta .32 build - one guy complained about not being able to download it because everyone else was hitting the same site at the same moment - so a mirror was posted later in the thread without dalingrin's FAQ.

Someone made a wise comment recently that people who cannot find the already posted detailed information, should not be installing these test builds in the first place, as they don't know what they are doing (and they never report enough detail in their bug feedback - such as exactly which build they have installed).

HarleyChick

Sep 1, 2010
NE Ohio

Geez, Dude, you're harshing my mellow. At least Ace is trying to be helpful and doing something positive. Your negative attitude isn't helping anyone.

I for one, would like to say "thank you" to Ace. The OP couldn't have come at a better time as I was a little confused about the new 7.1.0 ROM and "2.6.32" thread was not helping at all. Keep up the good work!

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Personally, I would love to see something like this:

• Date the below info was updated: 5/10
    • General Info:
    • Benefits of This Build:
    • Common Issues:
    • How to Flash / Download Location:
    • Supported Kernels / Download Locations:

• General Info:
    • Common Issues:

• Nightly ##
    • General Info:
    • Common Issues:

• Nightly ##
    • General Info:
    • Common Issues:

• Other Builds etc
    • General Info:
    • Common Issues:

• Miscellaneous Questions Not Specific to a Particular Build
    • [5/10] How do I do X?
    • [5/10] Where do I get Gapps?
    • [5/10] Additional Questions
    • [5/10] Additional Questions

Unfortunately, I have a very limited understanding of all the stuff that is currently happening day-to-day. I run only stables (currently on 7.0.2 flashed weeks ago) for fear that I might mess up my NC because I may have missed a key detail in post #1238 in thread X, Y, or Z. A centralized thread with all this information run by someone dedicated to updating it daily would be a great help to everyone. People like Dal and other developers are busy developing, and rightfully so :)

Last edited:
A

ace7196

Wow...
I dig it!
I'll see if I can start up something that in depth in a bit here...

jzibit17

Jun 23, 2010
Los angeles
When updating from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 are you suppose to use rom manager? Or download the file from PC then transfer it over to SD and use recovery mode to update? Also your suppose to use titanium to back up apps and data only correct just incase. But as far as updating wipe cache and dalvik.... I just want to make sure I'm doing it correct that way all my apps stay. Fyi I'm running cm7 of internal

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
Actually, it occurred to me that a FAQ thread like this should be in "Nook General Forum", but that your OP, with all the information about nightlies and so on, should be posted to the end of the CM7 User General Discussion thread in this Forum.

That thread is where all these questions come up.

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
When updating from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 are you suppose to use rom manager? Or download the file from PC then transfer it over to SD and use recovery mode to update? Also your suppose to use titanium to back up apps and data only correct just incase. But as far as updating wipe cache and dalvik.... I just want to make sure I'm doing it correct that way all my apps stay. Fyi I'm running cm7 of internal

Personally, I find that ROM manager is another program that can have bugs, so I don't use it. :D

I just put the file on my SD card wirelessly using "Samba Filesharing App" (free in the market), and then use Clockworkmod Recovery to install it.

It looks like with many recent changes, it helps to first do "wipe system" and "wipe cache" before installing the new file.

Since our personal stuff is in "data", then I do not wipe that. ;)

I also find that the "nandroid backup" on Clockworkmod Recovery is more reliable than Titanium Backup (same comment as for ROM manager). If you do a complete nandroid backup and then a complete recovery, it brings back everything - all the partitions - so it is a great thing to do when everything is working nicely.

psychoace

Apr 21, 2009
I can't seem to find the latest version of Gapps that you list. I checked throughout the site listed and only see for GB up to 03072011. Did it get deleted?

lucifurious

Jan 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
github.com
I think what you're looking to do is make a FAQ or guide or something. Maybe a better place where people can all collaborate (and correct any errors you have made, and I see a few minor ones) would be set up a FAQ page on nookdevs.com or something..

Also, it may be a better idea to organize the bits of information by category so people can quickly find it. Use as few words as you can in the first sentence so that people scanning for their issue don't have to read the whole thing...

Finally, it's "dalingrin" :)

Agreed. Forums for information dissemination are just ****ty beyond belief. We, the NC/xda community, need to either start taking the NC wiki seriously, or fenagle the owners of this fine establishment into upgrading to something more collaborative. No offense, but the only thing worse than forums for a large community is an email mailing list. shudder ... lol

Seriously. Forums are areas for discussion. Not Q&A.

hirano

Feb 3, 2008
Curitiba
I bought my Nook last week and since then i've been trying to learn how to tinker with custom roms and kernels but this subforum is total chaotic and newbie-unfriendly.
We (new users) need a wiki to get some basic knowledge about modding.9
All that stuff is scattered and buried in subtopics, I have took a lot of time just to install CWM on eMMC.
Now I'm running 1.2 rooted on emmc and CM7 nightly on SD, I couldn't get dual boot working on EMMC nor SD.:(

hockeyfamily737

Apr 3, 2011
Connecticut
I bought my Nook last week and since then i've been trying to learn how to tinker with custom roms and kernels but this subforum is total chaotic and newbie-unfriendly.
We (new users) need a wiki to get some basic knowledge about modding.9
All that stuff is scattered and buried in subtopics, I have took a lot of time just to install CWM on eMMC.
Now I'm running 1.2 rooted on emmc and CM7 nightly on SD, I couldn't get dual boot working on EMMC nor SD.:(

There is a Wiki stickied to the 1st page of the general section of the Nook Color Forum......http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=890549.

Ace created this thread in response to a rash of redundant questions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know these links because i've walked through this way before, but what about the new user (like I was last week)?
    How the hell could someone search for "Manualnooter for 1.2 only" when it's not even cited in the wiki?g modding

[Edit] There is a thread that gives a lot of helpful information on starting modding:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=872003
    It's just not up to date (last edit from february, before 1.2 was out)

FFS...

The Nookdevs Wiki is (and always has been) open for anyone to update or correct. If you see something out of date, missing or wrong, please feel welcome to fix it. Many of us who used to keep it completely current are working on other things and are not updating it as frequently.
    FFS...

The Nookdevs Wiki is (and always has been) open for anyone to update or correct. If you see something out of date, missing or wrong, please feel welcome to fix it. Many of us who used to keep it completely current are working on other things and are not updating it as frequently.

Ok, so I stopped ranting and edited the wiki with a little info from this thread, thanks.