Download from android market to pc, then transfer app onto tablet?

Search This thread

jacobbones

May 12, 2011
I bought the viewsonic g-tablet. I was thinking of flashing to a rom like vegan mainly to get the android market.

I was wondering though. Say I keep it as stock OS.

Can I download the apps with my pc from the android store and then copy and paste the apk files onto the tablet or onto a sd card and install it onto the tablet that way?

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
I bought the viewsonic g-tablet. I was thinking of flashing to a rom like vegan mainly to get the android market.

Can I download the apps with my pc from the android store and then copy and paste the apk files onto the tablet or onto a sd card and install it onto the tablet that way?

No, you can not download from the Market to your PC, only to an Android device that has Market access.

Sometimes you can find apps on websites (the developers site, this site, etc.) that you can download to your PC and then move over. Other sites hosting files...well some have been hosting modified apps that are infected with viruses so make it much riskier to install.

thfoster

What's the appeal of the stock ROM? Its terrible in my opinion. Flash a custom ROM and you'll never look back. Plus you won't have to hassle with finding apps outside of the official channels and trying to track down a new .apk file when updates are made.

Alternatively, you could use the Amazon App Market instead of Google's. Not nearly the same but at least it's something.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

onibs

Jul 3, 2011
I am not sure what stock rom you had, but I love the 1.2-4349 interface. I love how you have the big widgets that give you weather, news, clock, email etc. I also like how all your other apps are beautifully lined below. I've tried other custom ROM's and I keep on coming back to stock.
The only downside of stock is the lack of gmarket. Once Viewsonic fixes this, then stock is the way to go :)

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
To me, the stock TnT UI looks like an alarm clock.

Have you tried vtl launcher? Gives you the same app scrolling ability on the bottom.

Mantara

Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver
+1 VTL is great. Load your favorite apps in a scroll on the bottom or sides or both. Have 1 h ((ome screen or 7. Its totally customizable. Mountain laurel ( TnTLite 5 based off 4349) at least increases speed, stability, refresh rate on the screen ( you will notice the difference between 52 and 60hz), connectivity and has market . Give it a shot. Roebeet put some serious effort into it and you can find it with a quick Google search. (Its hosted on another site) Or follow the link in goodintentions signature and look under roms.

EL TEJANO

Dec 1, 2010
Salinas, CA.
There's a tut from Lifehacker that explains the process of installing an android emulator onto your pc & then enabling the Android Market. From here you would simply download your app & then locate the folder with the stored apk.
It takes a bit of work but from what I can gather it should work.
I have the link but I'm not to sure if I can post it.

mike_ekim

Oct 10, 2010
There are ways to get a working market without installing a new ROM.

+1 for VTL launcher. I think the screen shots of Launcher Pro are even better looking, but I'm too cheap. :)

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro

Check this post to see how I added GAPPS/Market to my stock 4349 ROM.

http://viewsonic-gtablet-for-dummies.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/5179881-how-i-added-gapps-market-to-a-stock-1-2-4349-gtab

I did this on 2 gTabs before I finally upgraded them to Calkulin+Clemsyn v6 (I'd recommend this ROM/kernal combo) as it is more stable and is "much faster" than the stock 4349 (it's overclocked to 1.5Ghz). If you decide to do this, Contacts "will" no longer work (it force closes whenever you try to open it). That was the only problem I encountered.

JJD92

Apr 26, 2008
Check this post to see how I added GAPPS/Market to my stock 4349 ROM.

I did this on 2 gTabs before I finally upgraded them to Calkulin+Clemsyn v6 (I'd recommend this ROM/kernal combo) as it is more stable and is "much faster" than the stock 4349 (it's overclocked to 1.5Ghz). If you decide to do this, Contacts "will" no longer work (it force closes whenever you try to open it). That was the only problem I encountered.

Hi,
I have that same ROM(Calkulin+Clemsyn v6), and contacts work for me.
But weather bug always force close.
Jorge

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
Hi,
I have that same ROM(Calkulin+Clemsyn v6), and contacts work for me.
But weather bug always force close.
Jorge

Sorry. I was referring to the stock 4349 with GApps/Market installed causes a force close with Contacts, not Calkulin+Clemsynv6.

Don't have Weather Bug installed, but the Waether app & News & Weather apps both work fine.