A7+ memory and extrenal card issue

Search This thread

over's tab

Jan 12, 2012
From elocity about A7+:
The 4GB internal high speed flash memory can store up to 4 feature films, 40,000 photos, or 2,000 songs for countless hours of entertainment. Wireless & Bluetooth.... BLA bla bla.

Ok, I have been searching and finding related information but confusing me more.

I have an A7+
it came with a 8 gb card, I can't figure out how to save to card, downloads, apps etc.
It never gives choice. No options in settings > memory card or when downloading

Besides the external card issue, and because of my novice tech knowledge I don't under stand what takes up space and best way to manage with A7+ or if different then A7

The 8 gb card shows 7.39 gb available and has not changed since installed, card was new so I never formated it.

*I now have 39.62mb available user space (that's not a lot, is it?) thats after 4 gb factory and all systems use, that left me with 1.53 gb to work with?? (edit, I deleted about a dozen apps and a bunch of music. Now available internal memory is LESS, 39.61mb what's going on)?

I have downloaded a bunch of apps, I don't fully understand how this effects memory, I have about 250 songs, no movies and just a dozen or so photos

I'm guessing its the apps

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

frankwg83

May 4, 2010

well, this is more of an android topic and not A7.

anyway, to move apps to a card go to Settings/Applications and on some apps that aren't protected you will have the option to move to card. many file managers have an app backup option and will also allow you to copy/paste to/from your memory card. try Astro, it's very popular and works well.

saving downloads is sometimes done by the settings of which ever program you are using. as far as i can tell the default browser and firefox mobile only save to onboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: over's tab

over's tab

Jan 12, 2012
Astra was not available for the A7+ that I could find, I found Es explorer app and yet to find area for my needs in it, I guess I need more time on it, it looks like much more then I need and more complicated then I can manage

I just need a easy way to manage basic downloads like photos, music, apps

frankwg83

May 4, 2010
the device comes with a file manager preinstalled, i can't recall the name because my A7+ is not functioning and no one replied to my post.

over's tab

Jan 12, 2012
I think 'OI manager' is the factory manager on my A7+.

With OI manager I tried to transfer files, apps (or anything) into my 8 GB card with no success, also tried 4 or 5 apps that advertise "app to SD" type ability along with more 'astro' type apps that claim to be file managers that should do what I need all with no luck, its like my device is locked to not to allow moving files

related issue, tablet was down to about 39.62MB internal space, after removing many apps and mp3s, it always seems to effect internal storage randomly, after clearing space I would sometimes loose available space, sometimes gain space, whats going on?? Is this a quirk with Android system?

The big one is, I decided to take the 16GB sd card out of my Blackberry and try in A7+. after first installing card everything was fine, all 200 or so photos and some videos from BB card showed up as expected (with device showing the majority of the 16GB sd card available) ....I went on to do something else and left the A7+ to go into stand by, when I woke it up, it says 'sd card is full please clear space' :eek: I go check available space and it is 0 and I can no longer access any pics, internal or on the 16GB card ?? I swap back the empty 8 GB card and show a total available internal 4.33MB and system seems to work ok except low memory storage. Note, that I had 39.62MB internal user space one week ago then up to ~60.14MB as of 24 hrs ago after a lot of cleaning of music and apps, then installed & removed other BB sd card and now down to 4.33MB. Its like Android Alzheimers or something as I now have very little memory space available and a device that does erratic things.

*Last thing, could it be the music I downloaded directly into device is corrupt or not compressed correctly or just to many files "or something I don't understand"? (the mp3s are in the internal 4GB storage that really is 1.53GB usable)

I still have about 200 songs downloaded from app called "MP3 Music Download" that I got from one of the included app stores, apk or Getjar??
Anyway to transfer those mp3s to pc or thumb drive then delete them from device and check status

I have emails into eLocity now for a couple weeks with no response from previously helpful contact

~eLocity A7+ with no mods, factory settings~

firefly4279

Feb 6, 2012
I think 'OI manager' is the factory manager on my A7+.

With OI manager I tried to transfer files, apps (or anything) into my 8 GB card with no success, also tried 4 or 5 apps that advertise "app to SD" type ability along with more 'astro' type apps that claim to be file managers that should do what I need all with no luck, its like my device is locked to not to allow moving files

related issue, tablet was down to about 39.62MB internal space, after removing many apps and mp3s, it always seems to effect internal storage randomly, after clearing space I would sometimes loose available space, sometimes gain space, whats going on?? Is this a quirk with Android system?

The big one is, I decided to take the 16GB sd card out of my Blackberry and try in A7+. after first installing card everything was fine, all 200 or so photos and some videos from BB card showed up as expected (with device showing the majority of the 16GB sd card available) ....I went on to do something else and left the A7+ to go into stand by, when I woke it up, it says 'sd card is full please clear space' :eek: I go check available space and it is 0 and I can no longer access any pics, internal or on the 16GB card ?? I swap back the empty 8 GB card and show a total available internal 4.33MB and system seems to work ok except low memory storage. Note, that I had 39.62MB internal user space one week ago then up to ~60.14MB as of 24 hrs ago after a lot of cleaning of music and apps, then installed & removed other BB sd card and now down to 4.33MB. Its like Android Alzheimers or something as I now have very little memory space available and a device that does erratic things.

*Last thing, could it be the music I downloaded directly into device is corrupt or not compressed correctly or just to many files "or something I don't understand"? (the mp3s are in the internal 4GB storage that really is 1.53GB usable)

I still have about 200 songs downloaded from app called "MP3 Music Download" that I got from one of the included app stores, apk or Getjar??
Anyway to transfer those mp3s to pc or thumb drive then delete them from device and check status

I have emails into eLocity now for a couple weeks with no response from previously helpful contact

~eLocity A7+ with no mods, factory settings~
I also have the same problem customer support was trying to help me but all I succeeded in doing was move an ebook to files and now I can't get it back or read it. I have never formatted my 8 gb card so I don't know if that is the step I missed. My stepdaughter printed out the manual but unfortunately it is more an overview than a step by step. It IS in the oi file manager. I also noted that when I tried to move the book that there was a thin strip that said move file and maybe that sucked me into loading the book to my files. My A7 also played youtube videos at first but now it don't. It will play other sites but if they go to youtube it comes and attacks the site. youtube has declared war on me and I don't know why or how to make them stop. bye for now frank

over's tab

Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for input on this. I was never able to get issues resolved, the return period was almost up so I decided to return it 'no questions asked'

To many things building against it, lacking support online and from manufacturer, I will miss many aspects of the A7+, a nice little tablet with potential, but.....

I now have an Archos 80 G9 (8" 3.2 Honeycomb w/ 8GB) it also packs a lot for the money, so far so good

Edit: forgot to mention, on eLocity the 'HOME' key had stopped working completely

Last edited:

blooknight154

Apr 6, 2012
Dropped the ball

No matter what you do you cannot get the Elocity A7 or A7+ to load to the SD card.....we have been trying for months and no matter what we do nothing works. The damned thing has so much potential and is suck a powerful little machine that it is a shame that the bloody company dropped the ball. We did manage to to get it onto every market in the world and we changed the 4 Gig internal to a 32 Gig internal and reloaded the Titanium backup onto the card with the PC so there is more space and now the SD is primarily storage and a media file. To think that all they had to do was try a little harder and this would have been a monster in the market place last year. Oh well, maybe someone else will create a tablet that is fun and easy to use.

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
No matter what you do you cannot get the Elocity A7 or A7+ to load to the SD card.....we have been trying for months and no matter what we do nothing works. The damned thing has so much potential and is suck a powerful little machine that it is a shame that the bloody company dropped the ball. We did manage to to get it onto every market in the world and we changed the 4 Gig internal to a 32 Gig internal and reloaded the Titanium backup onto the card with the PC so there is more space and now the SD is primarily storage and a media file. To think that all they had to do was try a little harder and this would have been a monster in the market place last year. Oh well, maybe someone else will create a tablet that is fun and easy to use.

i fixed the kernel in my A7CompPlus release, and apps can be installed on sdcard, and i think i updated it in the Cyanogen release as well.
it just took some kernel recompile and different framework, since elocity framework does not support this at all (it is removed from the firmware completely).

so you cannot get the feature unless you try a custom rom.

denmichelson

Jul 25, 2012
i fixed the kernel in my A7CompPlus release, and apps can be installed on sdcard, and i think i updated it in the Cyanogen release as well.
it just took some kernel recompile and different framework, since elocity framework does not support this at all (it is removed from the firmware completely).

so you cannot get the feature unless you try a custom rom.

Dexter, Thank You for your work on A7+. I am enjoying your CM7 rom but can't get apps to load to SD. Tried every combination of settings. Are there any performance disadvantages to modding vold.fstab file ot make the SD card internal? Also please give update on your ICS mod work. I appreciate any suggestions.

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
Dexter, Thank You for your work on A7+. I am enjoying your CM7 rom but can't get apps to load to SD. Tried every combination of settings. Are there any performance disadvantages to modding vold.fstab file ot make the SD card internal? Also please give update on your ICS mod work. I appreciate any suggestions.
i believe that external sdcard should work. but maybe its just found on the /mnt/sdcard location or what vold.fstab says?
have you checked its mounted? i am sure it should have worked. let me see if i get a chance to confirm or check.

denmichelson

Jul 25, 2012
i believe that external sdcard should work. but maybe its just found on the /mnt/sdcard location or what vold.fstab says?
have you checked its mounted? i am sure it should have worked. let me see if i get a chance to confirm or check.

Thanks for your quick reply. I checked and SD is mounted and shows up in storage. I found the following generic vold.fstab which is supposed to be set up to make the external SD act as internal storage. Please comment on any changes that might be needed.

# Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

# sdcard mount for the P1
# internal sdcard
{
ums_path = /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file
asec = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd 28 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# externel sdcard
{
ums_path = /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun1/file
discard = disable
asec = disable
}
#dev_mount sdcard1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd 1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc2
#end line ## keep this line

denmichelson

Jul 25, 2012
Thanks for your quick reply. I checked and SD is mounted and shows up in storage. I found the following generic vold.fstab which is supposed to be set up to make the external SD act as internal storage. Please comment on any changes that might be needed.

# Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

# sdcard mount for the P1
# internal sdcard
{
ums_path = /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file
asec = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd 28 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# externel sdcard
{
ums_path = /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun1/file
discard = disable
asec = disable
}
#dev_mount sdcard1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd 1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc2
#end line ## keep this line

The file above did not work. The CM7 vold is below. Do you know what commands need to be changed to make the external card the primary internal storage.

# Vold 2.0 Malata Harmony fstab

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 6 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
you cannot make sdcard primary internal this happens in boot stage.
you can only switch internal storage card with external card.

just change the 2 first thing in 2 first lines /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/emmc and its done

denmichelson

Jul 25, 2012
you cannot make sdcard primary internal this happens in boot stage.
you can only switch internal storage card with external card.

just change the 2 first thing in 2 first lines /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/emmc and its done

So it should now look like this. I tried it but storage seems same with external SD card showing my 8gb of storage and internal is still 1gb. Any other steps. Thanks for your patience. I really want to get more app storage.

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/emmc 1 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount emmc /mnt/sdcard 6 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc2

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
So it should now look like this. I tried it but storage seems same with external SD card showing my 8gb of storage and internal is still 1gb. Any other steps. Thanks for your patience. I really want to get more app storage.

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/emmc 1 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount emmc /mnt/sdcard 6 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc2

dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 6 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc2

this is the correct way

denmichelson

Jul 25, 2012
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 6 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc2

this is the correct way

Dexter, thanks for your continued help. I made the changes and everything looks and acts the same.Internal storage is 1g and external storage on Sd Card is 7.39 as it was before. My file card needed to be reformated before it was recognized. I rebooted after the changes anything else required?

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
Dexter, thanks for your continued help. I made the changes and everything looks and acts the same.Internal storage is 1g and external storage on Sd Card is 7.39 as it was before. My file card needed to be reformated before it was recognized. I rebooted after the changes anything else required?

i might actually have misunderstood, if i recall the A7 correct, internal storage is actually the /data partition that you cannot change, thats alot bigger process to fix.

you can only keep sdcard at the /mnt/sdcard location , the /mnt/emmc location was for USB connected devices in the CM rom.

Reactions: denmichelson

denmichelson

Jul 25, 2012
i might actually have misunderstood, if i recall the A7 correct, internal storage is actually the /data partition that you cannot change, thats alot bigger process to fix.

you can only keep sdcard at the /mnt/sdcard location , the /mnt/emmc location was for USB connected devices in the CM rom.

Dexter, I appreciate your timely responses and ongoing support for the A7+

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

well, this is more of an android topic and not A7.

anyway, to move apps to a card go to Settings/Applications and on some apps that aren't protected you will have the option to move to card. many file managers have an app backup option and will also allow you to copy/paste to/from your memory card. try Astro, it's very popular and works well.

saving downloads is sometimes done by the settings of which ever program you are using. as far as i can tell the default browser and firefox mobile only save to onboard.