[QUESTION]Ice Cream Sandwich on Galaxy Tab?

Search This thread

yogirk

Feb 18, 2011
I know it has been announced only a few hours ago and the source is not available yet. But, when Google finally releases the source code, will there ever be a ROM for the original Galaxy Tab?

I am curious because the answer to this question will help me resist the new tablet temptation :p

Last edited:

bongski55

Jan 14, 2011
Having a hard time with HC, I doubt it with ICS....even the GB ROMs are not very polished, like Overcome causes warming up problem....

Djoudje

Sep 15, 2010
It can be short...

Maybe it will arrive sooner as we think, not with cyanogenmod, even if i want it on my tab, but with MIUI, I just read on the MIUIteam fr that MIUI have the source since they have the status of developpers with the XIAOMI, and they are already work on the Mi-one and the two nexus, so maybe the us team who develop the MIUI Rom for our tab will be able to port ISC on the galaxy tab?
I just hope that we can have ISC on our tab before Christmans it will be great!:D

tarantulae

Oct 9, 2011
Porto Alegre - RS
ICS

From the news:
"Gabe Cohen from Google claims that most Gingerbread devices may have an upgrade to Android 4.0, claiming that it is theoretically compatible with any Android 2.3.x device"

Riki1kenobi

Jun 16, 2007
Bolton
I would presume (going off the little snippits of info I've gleaned) that almost ANY device will be able to run ICS in some capacity or another since it is designed to be all encompassing. (Think Ubuntu for comparison) Admittedly some older devices will struggle due to the specs but this is the same for every old device.

I could be completely WAY-OFF the mark but I believe el-goog is heading down the Canonical Road and pretty soon we will have OS's that just play well together, be it on mobile, laptop, PC, TV yadda yadda yadda......and then we'll see a small moon appear on the horizon ;)

No wait, "That's not a moon.....It's a SPACE STATION!" cue dramatic music and suddenly everyone and their dog will be screaming "IT'S A TRAAAAAP!" "TURN THIS SHIP AROUND!" but by then we'll all be caught in the tractor beam and headed for a Schwartz-off with Dark Helmet......

Jus sayin :rolleyes:

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
In future, post [QUESTIONS] in your separate Q&A section.

The next thread I see in the General section, that asks a [QUESTION] will be deleted, the user will receive a Warning.

themapleboy

Feb 9, 2010
Toronto
In future, post [QUESTIONS] in your separate Q&A section.

The next thread I see in the General section, that asks a [QUESTION] will be deleted, the user will receive a Warning.

How does a question not belong in general? Is the general sub forum not for General discussion. Don't mean to be rude just wondering how that does not encompass a question (heck a development thread could in theory fall under the general category), i understand that there is a specific category for q&a and trying to order the chaos; it just seems to me you can't really claim anything doesn't belong in general in order to delete and or warn a user.

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
How does a question not belong in general?
When you pose a question to which you would like an answer, if falls under the Q&A section.
Is the general sub forum not for General discussion.
When you would like to discuss & have active engagement on a particular topic then it would fall under the General section.
Don't mean to be rude just wondering how that does not encompass a question (heck a development thread could in theory fall under the general category), i understand that there is a specific category for q&a and trying to order the chaos; it just seems to me you can't really claim anything doesn't belong in general in order to delete and or warn a user.
Don't worry, I understand you intent, no rudeness is taken.
The development sections are for posting active development projects. I.e ROMs, APPs & MODs & to receive feedback, help, advice & even thanks.

To use this thread as an example, the OP asked.
when Google finally releases the source code, will there ever be a ROM for the original Galaxy Tab?
That is a question, even the thread title has [QUESTION] in it. The answer to this particular question is, we honestly don't know.

IF the OP had worded it similar to this.
When Google finally release the source code, do you guys think there will ever be a ROM for the original Galaxy Tab

This, to me is open for discussion, and not a clear cut yes or no. There is a gray (British spelling :)) area as you could say the General section is full of questions.

But to clarify, If I see any threads with [Q] or [Question] in the thread title or post, in the General section, it will be deleted & the user Warned, not Infracted, just warned.
If they haven't bothered checking what section they are posting in, its highly likely they haven't bothered searching for the answer either, but that is another kettle of fish :rolleyes:

cpgeek

Nov 27, 2007
Storrs, CT
This is all so incredibly exciting... looks like an amazing release and I really hope that I can put it on my SGT very soon!

Andy: Thank you for being awesome - lots of admins I've worked with throughout the years would probably throw a hissy over perceived insurrection when questions of protocol are asked. Your professionalism is greatly appreciated.

I am so glad that google appears to have gone with an open model this time around - it looks like they actually worked to maximize compatibility with the wide range of GB running devices and made everything pretty portable. of course we'll know more about that in a week or so when google drops the sources on us.

from what i understand, this will be the first time we've had proper public sources since the GB release.

the new feature set looks like it'll be pretty amazing so long as they optimized it well... I don't really care if newer fancier phones and tabs have more resources... more resources should allow you to do more things better, NOT an excuse to settle for sub-par optimization of code because "oh, it doesn't matter anymore, all new devices have enough ram and cpu speed to handle it!"... </rant>

yogirk

Feb 18, 2011
When you pose a question to which you would like an answer, if falls under the Q&A section.

When you would like to discuss & have active engagement on a particular topic then it would fall under the General section.

The development sections are for posting active development projects. I.e ROMs, APPs & MODs & to receive feedback, help, advice & even thanks.

To use this thread as an example, the OP asked.

That is a question, even the thread title has [QUESTION] in it. The answer to this particular question is, we honestly don't know.

IF the OP had worded it similar to this.

This, to me is open for discussion, and not a clear cut yes or no. There is a gray (British spelling :)) area as you could say the General section is full of questions.

But to clarify, If I see any threads with [Q] or [Question] in the thread title or post, in the General section, it will be deleted & the user Warned, not Infracted, just warned.
If they haven't bothered checking what section they are posting in, its highly likely they haven't bothered searching for the answer either, but that is another kettle of fish :rolleyes:
Ah, I should have formulated the question better!

I apologize. Next time, questions go to Q&A section :)

afaebe

Jun 2, 2011
From the news:
"Gabe Cohen from Google claims that most Gingerbread devices may have an upgrade to Android 4.0, claiming that it is theoretically compatible with any Android 2.3.x device"
I agree!!! More so if ICS is the hybrid between honeycomb (tabs only) and gingerbread (smartphones only), it should work on Original Galaxy(OG) tab, at least for those upgraded to gingerbread. Now we have OG 7" on 2.3, sg-tab 7 plus on 3.2 and possibly sg-tab 7.7 on ??4.0(I guess), sammy better get ICS on all otherwise it'll be hard selling all three.

cpgeek

Nov 27, 2007
Storrs, CT
I agree!!! More so if ICS is the hybrid between honeycomb (tabs only) and gingerbread (smartphones only), it should work on Original Galaxy(OG) tab, at least for those upgraded to gingerbread. Now we have OG 7" on 2.3, sg-tab 7 plus on 3.2 and possibly sg-tab 7.7 on ??4.0(I guess), sammy better get ICS on all otherwise it'll be hard selling all three.
I thing the original sgt7 is no longer part of the lineup i belive it has been discontinued. So the 7 plus is 3.2, as is the 10.1, and the 7.7. Samsung has settled on honeycomb for the lot but have already stated that each of these tablets will get upgraded to ics "real soon". On the flipside they all but confirmed that ics wont be coming to the original sgt7 making me very sad.

Samsung imho has really bad support for os updates in that they taje forever to release them and they are notorious for droping hardware / os support way too fast. My original sgt7 came out only about a year ago (last nov iirc).

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Dmaxx67

Nov 21, 2011
Memphis
Some cyanogenmod guys are putting together CM9 for tabs in general and ours looks like its on the list.

Sent from Sprint Galaxy Tab

Last edited:

cpgeek

Nov 27, 2007
Storrs, CT
Some cyanogenmod guys are putting together CM9 for tabs in general and ours looks like its on the list.

Sent from Sprint Galaxy Tab

yes, that's true, there is lots of private third-party ICS development going on to get a good AOSP rom up and functional. I think that's going to be most dependent on the galaxy tab ics dev thread here and then the cyanogen guys will go ahead and hack it smooth with extra features and the like as they generally do. I was specifically tallking about samsung OEM rom support.

and FIY, there is already a worked over SDK port of honeycomb for the galaxy tab 7 that seems to run pretty smooth that you might want to check out here if you're interested. the ICS stuff looks like it's shaping up, but I expect it to be at least a few months before everything becomes smooth enough for use as a daily rom.

Last edited: