Root and ABD for Nabi Jr.

Search This thread

VitaZora

Feb 19, 2011
The Nabi Jr.is a small $99.00 version of the Fuhu Nabi 2. It has 4 GB of internal storage, micro SD slot, 5 inch capacitive screen, a Tegra 2 processor and is running ICS 4.0.4. Full Specs can be seen here.

The Nabi Jr. can be rooted easily following the guidelines below. I rooted mine in under 15 minutes. Of course, rooting voids your warranty and I am not responsible for anything that might go wrong.

The first step is to install the ADB drivers. I found this video guide which made the process easy enough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDA8PpPSFuk

Then I followed the instructions for rooting with Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18 at this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

I chose Normal - Option 1.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-09-07-36-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-09-07-36-53.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,791
Last edited:

VitaZora

Feb 19, 2011
The Nabi Jr.is a small $99.00 version of the Fuhu Nabi 2. It has 4 GB of internal storage, micro SD slot, 5 inch capacitive screen, a Tegra 2 processor and is running ICS 4.0.4. Full Specs can be seen here.

The Nabi Jr. can be rooted easily following the guidelines below. I rooted mine in under 15 minutes. Of course, rooting voids your warranty and I am not responsible for anything that might go wrong.

The first step is to install the ADB drivers. I found this video guide which made the process easy enough:

Then I followed the instructions for rooting with Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18 at this link

Good luck!

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. Lots of views but no replies. Hello? Anyone out there with a Nabi Jr.?

RickR78

Jan 8, 2009
Just tried this and it works, it's actually easier to install the drivers using PDANet+

I am now trying to figure out a way to install GAPPS so I can have access to the play store.

Eric Karz

Oct 30, 2012
i installed gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
you should be able to side load it(with TWRP on either sd card) or install goomanager from 1mobile app market that you can install from the browser
hth.

Lowsome

May 15, 2013
Hi, I need help here. Hopefully you guys can help. I wiped the Nabi Jr system roms and now can't boot pass the Nabi logo. I Thought I had made a backup of it when I backup all the app, but it looks like I didn't. Been looking around and haven't found stock roms. So I'm hoping some of you Nabi Jr owners can help me out with backup copy of your Nabi Jr Stock Roms so I can get my little girl Nabi Jr back up and running again. I would really appreciate it.

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Hi, I need help here. Hopefully you guys can help. I wiped the Nabi Jr system roms and now can't boot pass the Nabi logo. I Thought I had made a backup of it when I backup all the app, but it looks like I didn't. Been looking around and haven't found stock roms. So I'm hoping some of you Nabi Jr owners can help me out with backup copy of your Nabi Jr Stock Roms so I can get my little girl Nabi Jr back up and running again. I would really appreciate it.

I'd ask Eric from the post above yours. He helped test out the TWRP I made for it since I don't have a JR, and he is really good about backing stuff up. I don't think the JR is as popular to mod so probably not many backups out there but someone will come to the rescue I'm sure.

Lowsome

May 15, 2013
I'd ask Eric from the post above yours. He helped test out the TWRP I made for it since I don't have a JR, and he is really good about backing stuff up. I don't think the JR is as popular to mod so probably not many backups out there but someone will come to the rescue I'm sure.

If you can that would be great.

zackrspv

Jan 29, 2011
i installed gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
you should be able to side load it(with TWRP on either sd card) or install goomanager from 1mobile app market that you can install from the browser
hth.

Sideloading the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip actually did work nicely. Once installed, I was able to add the Google account via settings. However, Google Play had to be updated prior to use. So, of course, I had to download the latest Google Play apk, download a file manager (astro is the best imho), and apk install astro, and then adb push the google play apk to the tablet. From there, opened astro, clicked on the google play APK and replaced the version already installed on the tablet. This worked nicely.

Can download applications, games, movies, videos, anything. Is quite nice.

Only annoyance I have right now is that WiFi is at a huge crawl. All other phones/devices in the house operate fine, but since installing gapps.zip the wifi connection is horribly slow.

juanfernandez77

Oct 17, 2008
Brooklyn, New York

Hey Lowsome... did you find a solution to your problem? I am having the same issue over here... =**(

PlaidStallion

Apr 1, 2011
Does rooting it mess with the interface?

Just wondering if rooting it messes with the nabi interface. I just want the play store installed and that's about it. No other changes, if possible.

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Hey Lowsome... did you find a solution to your problem? I am having the same issue over here... =**(

I would upload you a stock system if I could. I only made TWRP I don't actually have the device. I worked with Eric Karz on it over the internet, and I know he made backups, you could try and PM him here on XDA.

Really anyone here that has one can make a back up for all users.

-Back up your current setup in TWRP(backup all, ie. data, system, boot, cache just to be on safe side). Back it up to external SD, NOT internal SD, to be even safer get that copy off the device to your computer.
-In Android wipe the system
-When Android boots up and asks you to do a setup of device hard power it off, device will be in stock setting.
-Boot to TWRP and make a full backup
-Restore your device with TWRP to the backup you made in step 1.
-Upload the backup of the stock device you made.

Someone should really do this. There aren't alot of owners out there, but enough someone should do it.

Reactions: juanfernandez77

iamtheadrian

Jun 22, 2013
Problems loading ROOT

Hey guys. I have exhaustively Googled and Youtubed for a solution, but am at a loss. I am trying to root a Nabi Jr and get stuck at "Press enter when you see text on the screen. . ." I am seeing the small text, hitting enter, and then the command prompt just says "waiting for device." The computer is seeing the device. I have SDK installed, all the drivers are showing up in Control Panel, and have followed several tutorials verbatim. Any help would be appreciated. There is a lot of info for the Nabi 2, but nothing for the Jr. Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck!
    Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. Lots of views but no replies. Hello? Anyone out there with a Nabi Jr.?

I don't have one but yes I hear it works very well. Thanks for sharing!
    yep it be true it does work . nice find

I would upload you a stock system if I could. I only made TWRP I don't actually have the device. I worked with Eric Karz on it over the internet, and I know he made backups, you could try and PM him here on XDA.

Really anyone here that has one can make a back up for all users.

-Back up your current setup in TWRP(backup all, ie. data, system, boot, cache just to be on safe side). Back it up to external SD, NOT internal SD, to be even safer get that copy off the device to your computer.
    -In Android wipe the system
    -When Android boots up and asks you to do a setup of device hard power it off, device will be in stock setting.
    -Boot to TWRP and make a full backup
    -Restore your device with TWRP to the backup you made in step 1.
    -Upload the backup of the stock device you made.

Someone should really do this. There aren't alot of owners out there, but enough someone should do it.
    I've been asked to get Google Play working on a 4gb Nabi JR. I have a Nabi 2 that I've rooted and have gapps. After reading up on the nabi jr I'm sure I can get it rooted with gapps but I'm wondering with only 4gb what's going to be left to work with on the storage side of things?

it takes up a few more megs
    I have 51 apps (download) installed 1.36 gb
    400 meg free.
    I am sure if more room is needed you can save a bunch and install new ones
    hth