[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Galaxy S i9000 (FINAL! SAFE!)

Search This thread

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL. (There's another link in the forum to do this, I can't find it at the moment)

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management are done for you!

Installation instructions:
  1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
  2. Flash Recovery.
  3. Choose Galaxy S i9000 as your phone.
  4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
  5. Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
  6. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
  7. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!

If you can't seem to get ROM Manager off the market, you can get it from my homepage:
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html

Last edited:

Bajo76

May 16, 2009
Spreitenbach
Installed, everything working without problems.

To install roms with clockwork we need roms in *.zip format? Where to get them?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

smelian

Nov 21, 2009
Just got my phone

will try it after charging ]
YOU ARE THE MAN

thank you and thanks all Xda devs and members

j_h3000

Jun 26, 2009
hmm ... I know this might sound stupid but, acually GSG is my first android phone, though I know how to flash roms with odin and how to apply update.zip and all that but what is the difference between this and ClockworkMod Recovery ?? and does it use the same components as odin ? (I mean CODE, CSC, MODEM and Pit) ?

Arkymedes

Dec 6, 2009
France
Hmm... did every step and in the first reboot, after using rom manager to create a backup, it was supposed to go to the cloclworkmod recovery screen as mentioned, but instead it goes to the regular recovery screen.

Bug? I'm using the JM1 FW

EDIT: After rebooting my phone and trying to open ROM Manager again, I have some sort of "Recovery Failure" screen with 3 options:

- Recovery mode is broken.
- ROM Manager doesn't reboot.
- Other.

?

Last edited:

kalpik

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
Hmm... did every step and in the first reboot, after using rom manager to create a backup, it was supposed to go to the cloclworkmod recovery screen as mentioned, but instead it goes to the regular recovery screen.

Do you already have an update.zip on your internal sdcard? If yes, rename it, and then should boot just fine!

Arkymedes

Dec 6, 2009
France
Do you already have an update.zip on your internal sdcard? If yes, rename it, and then should boot just fine!

Ahhh... I guess I'm not very used to this "Internal SD Card" thing... there was the update.zip I used to root the phone there and I only checked my regular External SD.

Everything is fine now, sorry for bothering.

shohid1234

Oct 30, 2009
London
mobiletechblogger.co.uk

EDIT: After rebooting my phone and trying to open ROM Manager again, I have some sort of "Recovery Failure" screen with 3 options:

- Recovery mode is broken.
- ROM Manager doesn't reboot.
- Other.

?

I had the same issue. Must have been the update.zip, but I didnt remove it, just pressed the other option, went into manual recovery mode, rebooted went into rom manager and backed up my files. Worked a charm :D

dseo80

May 13, 2010
Does this mean there will be no more work on a permanent recovery solution?

I have the Korean version M110S - and it does not have the standard recovery (it is crippled - no apply:update.zip). Is there and abd command to "apply update.zip" ?

yinduyun

Dec 25, 2009
This may sound stupid, but I'm kinda new to Android modding (SGS is my first droid, moving here from WiMo on SE-X1) and.... What is Clockwork?

navmanyeah

Jul 14, 2010
So if I ever needed to send this phone in for warranty purposes, I could just flash the backup of my stock ROM in and I should be good to go?

akachay

Jun 22, 2008
does this method works for captivate and vibrant???

edit: just install/ captivate and vibrant option available.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL. (There's another link in the forum to do this, I can't find it at the moment)

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management are done for you!

Installation instructions:
    1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    2. Flash Recovery.
    3. Choose Galaxy S i9000 as your phone.
    4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
    5. Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
    6. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
    7. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!

If you can't seem to get ROM Manager off the market, you can get it from my homepage:
    http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html
    hi im helping a friend out with rooting his samsung galaxy s i9000 ive rooted it with no problems superuser works but i cant reboot it in the clo0ckwork mod recovery..... ive tried almost everything... someone pls help us out...
    Thanks in advance, u can mail me at ninotje1993@gmail.com ;)

How did you root? SuperOneClick?

Can you get into Download Mode? (Volume down + Home + Power)
    What happens when you do the 3 button recovery (Volume Up + Home + Power) does it go into Samsung Standard 3e recovery?

If yes, then go about flashing CF-Root from Chainfire here.

This will give you 2e Recovery and ClockWork Mod.

Other options to consider if your friend's 3 button modes are not working:

[FIX] Release: 3-button combo fix for any firmware version

Another option - flash a kernel with SGS Kernel Flasher which have root and busy box, 2e recovery.

[APP][Update] SGS kernel flasher v1.5.9 - flash a kernel within android.

Be sure that you have root access - thing is I'm not sure if this is the way to go about things if you've not got your 3 button recoveries working.

You need to be more specific when asking for this kind of help though.
    Current Rom, firmware, etc.

Hope some of that helps.

PS! Dropped you an email as well - too much time on my hands :p
    Should be working though :confused: :p :D
    Stickied. Closing the other one. Not sure why you would start a new thread instead of modifying the old one though...
    when you upgrade to froyo you also upgrade to recovery 3e

you need to revert to recovery 2e

see here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=788108
    with my original froyo updated from kies
    start ROM manager, tap on flash clockworkmod recovery and receive
    unable to connect server. Please make sure that you have a stable internet connection.
    I am wifi connected at home.
    :confused:

http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.2-galaxys.zip

flash this as update zip from 2e recovery.