[DEV] - HomeCatcher Redirect n Button to any Launcher

Search This thread

gojimi

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 2, 2010
www.gojimi.com
OK, Based on feedback here sounds like this is working properly. I have uploaded a new version 2.1 this is mostly just code clean up on my end as well as a better icon etc.

Installation Instructions:

Sideload HomeCatcher, also make sure you have an Alternative Launcher installed ie. ADW, Launcher Pro, VTL.Launcher.

Here is the key as HomeCatcher is a Background Process it works in the background no need to even open the app itself, that part of the app is there for information purposes only.

After install the first time you press the (n) you are presented with a menu asking you to select which app to complete the action with one of the options will be HomeCatcher if you select HomeCatcher while also selecting "use as default" on that popup menu the next press of the (n) button will present you with a menu asking which Alternative Launcher you wish to use and also allows you to set that option as default.... the content of this popup depends on the alternative Launchers you have already installed, ex. ADW, VTL.Launcher, GoLauncher.

following setting both HomeCatcher as default and then your Alternative Launcher as default.

When you hit the (n) button depending on your setup first push brings up little bottom screen nook menu second push it should make it act like a normal home button taking you to your alternative launcher. Some setups may operate differently. Just uninstall the app to return n button to normal nook operation.

If you have any issues during install (ie. selecting the wrong option as default etc.) you can kind of reset those defaults with two actions. Number one. Uninstall HomeCatcher. Navigate to the Settings/Applications section and find all the alternative launcher apps you have installed and open each ones details page and if the Clear Defaults Button is clickable Click it... also do this for the Main Nook Home app. Once you have done this reboot your Nook Tablet and reinstall HomeCatcher... making sure to read and select appropriately each popup box when pressing the (n) button for the first few times.

Please Provide Feedback..... Constructive Feedback Please (ie. Logs, errors, etc.)

********** ROM Devs can feel free to INCLUDE it in any work no prior permission required. :) *********************

HomeCatcher3.png
http://vegantab.gojimi.com/download/HomeCatcher2_1.apk

Last edited:

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Perfect! just what I was looking for! We already removed home and it doesn't do anything too bad, says it cant start intent: com.bn.blah.blah

gojimi

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 2, 2010
www.gojimi.com
well... I may need the home apk from the tablet if this doesn't work so that I can get the proper intent.... so if you have it available post it up for me. Thanks!

Reactions: Indirect

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
intent is:
<action android:name="com.bn.intent.action.home" />

been working on this all night so had it ready. :)

pilotguy415

Sep 21, 2009
This seems to work. The only thing I notice is that you press it once and it brings up the bottom toolbar, press again and it gives you the "complete using" dialog. I like it. Do you know if there is a way to make long press on the n act like the menu button. Dont know if that is possible but if it is, it would be amazing! Thank you for releasing this.

dermotti

Jul 20, 2010
Works good, not sure what i think about it bringing up the menu first tho. Would be nice to have the option to disable that if possible.

But yea i prefer it even as-is more than button savor. Good job!

bogatyr

Jun 22, 2010
Easy to use and now it feels like a real tablet without requiring root :) thanks!

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk.

samitro

Dec 16, 2008
What about home switcher? I guess it works on KF.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

daverod

Aug 6, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have sd card boot. But, short of that, root and this app make the NT a pretty kick-ass device.

I can get to Zeam very, very quickly and my family members can continue to have the stock Nook experience. Thank you and everyone else who's been working on opening up the NT!

rmm200

Apr 15, 2011
Bend
Let me just add - I bought the Nook Tablet for the Nook Reader experience. I would not want to lose that through installing CM7 or similar as a native boot.

Where we stand now meets my needs perfectly - preserve the Nook environment, and have the ability to side-load and run as an Android tablet.

Booting from SD would be great if we get to that point, but for me that is less of a priority.

Good work on the Home button over-ride.

Reactions: Kirk_the_jerk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, Based on feedback here sounds like this is working properly. I have uploaded a new version 2.1 this is mostly just code clean up on my end as well as a better icon etc.

Installation Instructions:

Sideload HomeCatcher, also make sure you have an Alternative Launcher installed ie. ADW, Launcher Pro, VTL.Launcher.

Here is the key as HomeCatcher is a Background Process it works in the background no need to even open the app itself, that part of the app is there for information purposes only.

After install the first time you press the (n) you are presented with a menu asking you to select which app to complete the action with one of the options will be HomeCatcher if you select HomeCatcher while also selecting "use as default" on that popup menu the next press of the (n) button will present you with a menu asking which Alternative Launcher you wish to use and also allows you to set that option as default.... the content of this popup depends on the alternative Launchers you have already installed, ex. ADW, VTL.Launcher, GoLauncher.

following setting both HomeCatcher as default and then your Alternative Launcher as default.

When you hit the (n) button depending on your setup first push brings up little bottom screen nook menu second push it should make it act like a normal home button taking you to your alternative launcher. Some setups may operate differently. Just uninstall the app to return n button to normal nook operation.

If you have any issues during install (ie. selecting the wrong option as default etc.) you can kind of reset those defaults with two actions. Number one. Uninstall HomeCatcher. Navigate to the Settings/Applications section and find all the alternative launcher apps you have installed and open each ones details page and if the Clear Defaults Button is clickable Click it... also do this for the Main Nook Home app. Once you have done this reboot your Nook Tablet and reinstall HomeCatcher... making sure to read and select appropriately each popup box when pressing the (n) button for the first few times.

Please Provide Feedback..... Constructive Feedback Please (ie. Logs, errors, etc.)

********** ROM Devs can feel free to INCLUDE it in any work no prior permission required. :) *********************

HomeCatcher3.png
    http://vegantab.gojimi.com/download/HomeCatcher2_1.apk
    Loving this app.
    I'm reluctant to set it to always go to Go Launcher by default though. Never know when you'll need/want to go back to the default BN loader...

My wife keeps looking at my tablet now and wanting me to add all of this to hers... but i think before I do that, i'll need to wait for some sort of redirect app that will let me launch BN Loader from inside of Go. I'd love to set one of the bottom dock icons to point to BN Loader.

At that point i'd remap homecatcher to always go to Go Launcher EX, and then have the ability to launch back into BN any time i need (which is a lot less often, but the situation may occur...).

Thank you for the great app btw...

This is a good Idea. I have created a test app for anyone who wants to test this out.... this is a separate little app that adds an icon to alternative launchers that can be used to directly return to the BN Home.... the icon is called NookHome and If it works I will clean it up a bit.... maybe a bit better icon too... it's getting late here.... AGAIN, I don't have a device and I am working my trickery by thought alone.... so I need testers... Nothing destructive here... if it fails you will just get a force close message... if it works.... well... you get the Nook Home..... Let me know if this works for you guys! --- Temporary Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15597684/NookHome.apk

Enjoy--
    well... I may need the home apk from the tablet if this doesn't work so that I can get the proper intent.... so if you have it available post it up for me. Thanks!
    Long press is usually not overrideable..... but I will look into that.