DoD: Depth of Discharge for li-Ion batteries

Search This thread

okishead

May 20, 2011
I was browsing the web in search for an answer for a simple question:
"How to properly charge your li-ion battery and increase battery life?"
This is what I got so far.

1. Battery life cycle: Any Li-Ion battery life is measured based on how many times can you discharge it from 100% to 0%. Normally the figure is 300-500 times and it depends on a factor called DoD (Depth of Discharge).

2. Depth of Discharge (DoD): Quite self-explanatory thing. If you have 20% charge left, it means that DoD=80%. The higher is the DoD the lower is your battery life cycle.
Comparison table is here:
dod_chargecycles.png

So, here's the answer to the painful question "Why should not I discharge my li-ion to 0%?" The answer is - your battery will die faster. I'm trying to get used to put both my OEM and Mugen Power batteries to charge right after my Nexus informs about 15% charge left.

3. Deep discharge: Not allowed for li-ion batteries. This is pretty interesting: Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period.
Also: Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for more than a week.

So, what I got from this section is - when I get to 0%, I will not try to switch on my phone again because that can damage my battery.

4. Don't charge in small portions: This is important in a long term for higher capacity batteries. If you use an extended 3000+mah battery it's important to use the whole capacity of the battery to avoid aging of cells that are not used. It's recommended to charge your extended battery to 100% from time to time.

5. Recycle your batteries ;)

I think this article here could be updated a little with these.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=518861

Sources:
http://mugen.tv/?p=690
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Last edited:

7_michel

Oct 3, 2011
78michel.unblog.fr
Most smartphone maintain a charging current even after the 100% charge level is reached. I think that this should also have an effect on battery life....
What is your opinion ?

okishead

May 20, 2011
Most smartphone maintain a charging current even after the 100% charge level is reached. I think that this should also have an effect on battery life....
What is your opinion ?

I think that in this case battery is protected with the battery's controller that only opens the current when the discharge level is below a certain point. That is why it's safe to keep your phone on charge overnight.

Reactions: timache

movielover76

Jan 3, 2011
Cherry Hill, NJ
OnePlus 7T
This part is wrong

. Don't charge in small portions: This is important in a long term for higher capacity batteries. If you use an extended 3000+mah battery it's important to use the whole capacity of the battery to avoid aging of cells that are not used. It's recommended to charge your extended battery to 100% from time to time.

if you notice if you always discharge to 50% you will get 1500 discharge cycles, that's not 1500 discharges to 50%, but 1500 full charge cycles, which would be recharging it to 100% twice from 50%, so by going from 100% and always recharging at 50% you get 50% more life out of your battery. Li-ion batteries last longer when not full discharged regularly, sadly usage of a smartphone is not very well suited for keeping it at a high charge as most users, even me, don't charge multiple times a day but try to optimize their phone so they only have to recharge once a day at night, which is the reason I like removable and replaceable android phone batteries :)

Li-ion batteries also are smart in that they intelligently charge and discharge cells so that certain cells won't age more than others, so you don't have to worry about that.

Also this is for another poster, the batteries have protection circuits to ensure that you don't overcharge your phone, so leaving it on the chargers after 100% I charge my phone each night to 100% and it doesn't do any damage to the battery.

Last edited:

okishead

May 20, 2011
This part is wrong

. Don't charge in small portions: This is important in a long term for higher capacity batteries. If you use an extended 3000+mah battery it's important to use the whole capacity of the battery to avoid aging of cells that are not used. It's recommended to charge your extended battery to 100% from time to time.

if you notice if you always discharge to 50% you will get 1500 discharge cycles, that's not 1500 discharges to 50%, but 1500 full charge cycles, which would be recharging it to 100% twice from 50%, so by going from 100% and always recharging at 50% you get 50% more life out of your battery. Li-ion batteries last longer when not full discharged regularly, sadly usage of a smartphone is not very well suited for keeping it at a high charge as most users, even me, don't charge multiple times a day but try to optimize their phone so they only have to recharge once a day at night, which is the reason I like removable and replaceable android phone batteries :)

Li-ion batteries also are smart in that they intelligently charge and discharge cells so that certain cells won't age more than others, so you don't have to worry about that.

Also this is for another poster, the batteries have protection circuits to ensure that you don't overcharge your phone, so leaving it on the chargers after 100% I charge my phone each night to 100% and it doesn't do any damage to the battery.

The "charge in small portions" is correct. What I meant is this if your battery is charged up to 50% and you keep charging it to 75% and never up to 100%, that is not good practice. Experience with new li-ion batteries shows that once or twice in a week it's important to charge it up to 100%.
Regarding the protection in the batteries - it works against overcharging, but sadly, not against overdischarging. Your phone will allow you to switch it on one or two times after the indicator shows the zero level. It's important NOT to do that because that damages chemistry in any type of batteries including li-ion.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
The "charge in small portions" is correct. What I meant is this if your battery is charged up to 50% and you keep charging it to 75% and never up to 100%, that is not good practice. Experience with new li-ion batteries shows that once or twice in a week it's important to charge it up to 100%.
Regarding the protection in the batteries - it works against overcharging, but sadly, not against overdischarging. Your phone will allow you to switch it on one or two times after the indicator shows the zero level. It's important NOT to do that because that damages chemistry in any type of batteries including li-ion.
1. Read this: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
"Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery."

2. This: http://www.centralhobbies.com/instructional/lithium.html
1. Charge often. Don't try to fully discharge the battery packs frequently. This only adds strain. Several partial discharges (regular use) with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one total discharge.

Confusing, yes, sure is.
Basically, for Li-Ion battery.
1. NEVER allow deep discharge (to 0%). Once in a while, I still get an article on web suggesting let the battery completely discharged. Hmmm.
2. Fully charge (to 100%) is not good either, partially charge is better. Confuse enough?

Reactions: ZenDood and bamx2

cmazy

Jun 6, 2008
Newer charging li-ion battery over 90% will double it's lifetime. This is mentioned also in battery university page. Some laptops also include battery care function which limits full charge to 80%. This is good evidence that this is the way to prolong battery lifetime.

dojodo

Feb 7, 2013
At first , i was agree with almost all of the article on the Internet about li ion battery.
But, after reading one comment from batteryuniversity article, this guys comment is refusing the article opinion that li ion do not have memory effects.
After doing some searching , wow , its true that li ion DO HAVE MEMORY EFFECTS like nicd do.
So what i do is always completely fully discharged my battery before charging it again. Actually, its almost impossible for smartphones battery to fully discharged while being using till the screen goes off by itself. Im using note 3 which has removable battery.
And yes. I dont have any problem with fully discharged my li ion battery. Battery still as good as new although being fully discharged for many2 times. Hard to believe? Try it and u will agree with me.

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Free mobile app

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
At first , i was agree with almost all of the article on the Internet about li ion battery.
But, after reading one comment from batteryuniversity article, this guys comment is refusing the article opinion that li ion do not have memory effects.
After doing some searching , wow , its true that li ion DO HAVE MEMORY EFFECTS like nicd do.
So what i do is always completely fully discharged my battery before charging it again. Actually, its almost impossible for smartphones battery to fully discharged while being using till the screen goes off by itself. Im using note 3 which has removable battery.
And yes. I dont have any problem with fully discharged my li ion battery. Battery still as good as new although being fully discharged for many2 times. Hard to believe? Try it and u will agree with me.

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Free mobile app

I have always gone by the recharge before it gets low rule, and told my friend the same with his HTC desire. His went over 3 years before original battery got tired. I haven't had any battery issues yet on phones I had new.

My ex thought it was best to discharge all the way and she had a laptop, an iPod and an iPhone all with basically ruined batteries. So I don't agree with you. I agree with the majority of the articles I've read like the battery university one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was browsing the web in search for an answer for a simple question:
    "How to properly charge your li-ion battery and increase battery life?"
    This is what I got so far.

1. Battery life cycle: Any Li-Ion battery life is measured based on how many times can you discharge it from 100% to 0%. Normally the figure is 300-500 times and it depends on a factor called DoD (Depth of Discharge).

2. Depth of Discharge (DoD): Quite self-explanatory thing. If you have 20% charge left, it means that DoD=80%. The higher is the DoD the lower is your battery life cycle.
    Comparison table is here:
    dod_chargecycles.png

So, here's the answer to the painful question "Why should not I discharge my li-ion to 0%?" The answer is - your battery will die faster. I'm trying to get used to put both my OEM and Mugen Power batteries to charge right after my Nexus informs about 15% charge left.

3. Deep discharge: Not allowed for li-ion batteries. This is pretty interesting: Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period.
    Also: Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for more than a week.

So, what I got from this section is - when I get to 0%, I will not try to switch on my phone again because that can damage my battery.

4. Don't charge in small portions: This is important in a long term for higher capacity batteries. If you use an extended 3000+mah battery it's important to use the whole capacity of the battery to avoid aging of cells that are not used. It's recommended to charge your extended battery to 100% from time to time.

5. Recycle your batteries ;)

I think this article here could be updated a little with these.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=518861

Sources:
    http://mugen.tv/?p=690
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
    1. Read this: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
    "Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery."

2. This: http://www.centralhobbies.com/instructional/lithium.html
    1. Charge often. Don't try to fully discharge the battery packs frequently. This only adds strain. Several partial discharges (regular use) with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one total discharge.

Confusing, yes, sure is.
    Basically, for Li-Ion battery.
    1. NEVER allow deep discharge (to 0%). Once in a while, I still get an article on web suggesting let the battery completely discharged. Hmmm.
    2. Fully charge (to 100%) is not good either, partially charge is better. Confuse enough?
    What is your opinion ?

I think that in this case battery is protected with the battery's controller that only opens the current when the discharge level is below a certain point. That is why it's safe to keep your phone on charge overnight.