[CLOSED][DISCUSSION] Switchroot Android Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

langer hans

Aug 19, 2007
vFwxjCP.png

Introduction
This is a general discussion thread about our efforts to bring Android to the Nintendo Switch. (This post will see updates, we just wanted to get the ball going)

Current state of the project
The base for this port is LineageOS 15.1. As of now most things you'd expect work. WiFi, Bluetooth, Audio, Dock, JoyCons via Bluetooth only for now. Full sleep does not work yet so battery runtime is not great, but this is something that's being worked on. As of yesterday Android can be booted with the hekate bootloader and entering TWRP works by simply holding VOL- while booting. There is still a bunch of stuff to do until this can see a full release. Especially the setup process is something that's being worked on making simpler.

How to keep in touch
Feel free to ask questions here (apart from ETAs obviously). Once we have a public build we'll open a DevDB project too.
We are currently posting updates on Twitter as we go along at https://twitter.com/switchroot_org
We'll have a Discord server too once the builds go public. A little more patience please.

Last edited:

MrPhilo

Dec 12, 2010
Sheffield
Welp, I sold my Switch, now I'll probably buy another Switch... Obviously getting the device stable is the priority at the moment, but I am still wondering if the overclocking feature will also be here for us as well? Since I can't imagine running 1ghz a57 on Android is that great :p

langer hans

Aug 19, 2007
Overclocking to 1.7GHz (which is actually normal clock really) will be supported. And we just fixed WiFi scanning so you can connect to WiFi normally instead of having to manually enter it.
Regarding remote play: GameStream should work out of the box, Steam Link has been successfully tested, so was Parsec. GeForce Now has an issue still that needs to be worked out so don't expect that in the first release I guess.

sirocyl

Hey, sirocyl from switchroot here. One thing I need to make clear, in case you're wondering: Your Switch needs to have an "UNPATCHED" bootrom.

You can use this guide to identify Switches by serial number; if it's manufactured/purchased before approximately June/July 2018, it should be good - but the only way to make sure is by checking the serial!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

langer hans

Aug 19, 2007
Everything is on the microSD. Don't wanna risk Nintendo bans although _in theory_ you could put it on eMMC. We'll never officially support that tho for obvious reasons.

sudd1976

Jan 16, 2013
Coventry
Very interesting, looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Now can I find a switch that can be modded is the question??

Jun 18, 2019
Will you give us an option to choose between wired or BT joycon support?
Or are you just staying with BT only, as this option can be used when docked and portable?
I'd personally prefer wired, as I only play in portable. But this is just me.

And one more question - Android will be installed to SD rather than eMMC, and I get it, this is much better overall.
But what about performance? SD card can be much slower than eMMC, should we expect any slowdowns or other issues?

I wanted to thank entire switchroot team and other people associated with this project for their hard work. Especially ByLaws. Guys, this is huge, this is something we need, we can't be grateful enogh. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vFwxjCP.png

Introduction
    This is a general discussion thread about our efforts to bring Android to the Nintendo Switch. (This post will see updates, we just wanted to get the ball going)

Current state of the project
    The base for this port is LineageOS 15.1. As of now most things you'd expect work. WiFi, Bluetooth, Audio, Dock, JoyCons via Bluetooth only for now. Full sleep does not work yet so battery runtime is not great, but this is something that's being worked on. As of yesterday Android can be booted with the hekate bootloader and entering TWRP works by simply holding VOL- while booting. There is still a bunch of stuff to do until this can see a full release. Especially the setup process is something that's being worked on making simpler.

How to keep in touch
    Feel free to ask questions here (apart from ETAs obviously). Once we have a public build we'll open a DevDB project too.
    We are currently posting updates on Twitter as we go along at https://twitter.com/switchroot_org
    We'll have a Discord server too once the builds go public. A little more patience please.
    Sept is not involved in booting Android. If you want to boot to HOS/CFW we'll provide an option to reboot to Hekate, possibly with boot config selection .

As a general progress update:
    A third version has been given to testers which includes clock control. You'll be able to select from three clocks between 1 and 1.7 GHz through performance profiles.
    Also new is that a serial number will be generated based on the eMMC serial (as that's unique). This possibly solves the issue we've seen with GeForce Now.
    I started working on lp0 deep sleep support today. Made some progress, but not quite there yet. When that works you'll get the same sleep battery life as HOS ;)
    Gonna address the recent questions without doing massive quotes here:

Foster vs. Darcy: I'm not 100% sure but the differences aren't that huge in the areas we need to care about.
    Minecraft: Haven't tested it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work. As others pointed out, controller support is not great tho. Joycons work nicely in general tho, so this is up to the apps to support controllers well.
    Kodi: I personally have never used it, so I can't really compare anyway, sorry.
    3rd party docks: Some work some don't. YMMV. The whole usb-c muxing stuff is a huge mess in the kernel anyway imho so there is probably room for improvement.
    TWRP: Works as far as I've used it. So flashing zips :D If correctly prepared you could also flash other roms through it, but there are some specialties you need to keep in mind like how the boot image is set up. Details will follow so others can build roms too.
    Root: Current builds are not rooted, but adding that wouldn't be hard. Magisk can be installed, i haven't fully tested it.
    Touch: works flawlessly in the latest build.
    PS4 Remote Play: Depends on how well the app supports controllers. The joycons are mapped to mostly the same keys as the Shield controller.

And a general update: Today we got lp0fw executing. This means we can wake up the console from deep sleep which is a big step forward. It currently gets stuck as soon as it turns on the main CPU tho which needs to be investigated next.
    Code:
    bash-4.3# echo mem > /sys/power/state 
    INFO:    Entering lp0. Good night...
    INFO:    Left lp0. Good morning!
    INFO:    Tegra Memory Controller (v1)
    INFO:    Configuring TrustZone DRAM Memory Carveout
    INFO:    Configuring TrustZone DRAM Memory Carveout
    [   19.507660] tegra-i2c 7000d000.i2c: ISR called even though no transfer

/* snip kernel log */

bash-4.3#

Oh boy, would you look at this...
    (Don't get your hopes up too quickly. There is a bunch of stuff to do to get this into a fully usable state. But entering and exiting lp0 is a major step into a fully working deep sleep mode for Android (and Linux).
    We are currently leaning towards releasing a beta once lp0 fully works. That's all I can say regarding an ETA. We're certainly not here to just tease and never release ;) It will be released eventually and everything will be open source once it is so others can contribute and build upon it.