[FIX] Ultra & Super Smooth Sense 4.0 Launcher (Rosie) + AutoRotate + Supercharged

Search This thread

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Sense 4.1 launcher on base 2.17.401.2 renders this mod obsolete, the launcher is 60fps smooth and locked, with full 3d widget and LWP, an amazing achievement HTC, keep it up!

This mod is only for Sense 4.0 bases but you can still use this thread to supercharge your ROM

This mod is reverse .smali rewrite that's actually changing with each Sense release from HTC, requires lots of testing and many times major recoding, code samples can be found in this post in other words its not a simple variable switch

Ultra Smooth Launcher locks the frame rate during page scroll in Sense launcher (Rosie.apk)

Essentially it's an optimization which forces Rosie to flatten the layers depth effect in Sense widgets, this effect is resource heavy and the reason for frame drops or stutter, the stock kernel rarely ramps the CPU clock beyond 1GHz or 2 cores in Sense launcher, which is good for both the battery and temps but causes random lag when dealing with this effect.

It's available in two flavors: screenshots

Super Smooth Rosie
This will keep the layered widgets in the intial screen you begin scrolling from and freezes/flattens all the other pages until you stop scrolling.
It will satisfy those who don't want to completely lose the effect. There might still be a very slight frame rate drop during the initial 3D flip.
This mod is applied to both FxWorkspace.smali and FxWorkspaceClient.smali

Ultra Smooth Rosie
This mod goes even further, it completely disables the layers effect by flattening and freezing all homescreens during scroll. Locked liquid smooth 60fps!
Any lag or stutter you experience at this point is not caused by Sense launcher.

Sense 4.0 - HTC One X (international) - Downloads

- Smooth Rosie mods for test Base 2.05.401.2

- Smooth Rosie mods for test Base 2.05.401.2 + AutoRotate

- Smooth Rosie mods for test Base 1.29.401.11

- Smooth Rosie mods for test Base 1.29.401.11 + AutoRotate

This mod will simply replace your Rosie.apk and remove Rosie.odex if it's there, back up just in case!

It works on both custom and stock rooted ROMs (the zip file requires BusyBox)
No need for wipe and you can flash them over each other using recovery, the stock file is provided in case you want to go back
Links to other Sense 4.0 devices and older bases in the second post

Remaining random stutter & lag
Any stutter you experience after applying ultra smooth is no longer self caused by the Sense launcher itself.
You need to remember that switching ROMs every two days, means nothing will ever be smooth, simply because ROMs needs a while to settle everything and cache.
Equally Android's multitasking priority groups are likely to blame, you can try the following to apply Supercharger's OOM priority fixes and reduce random stutter.
There might still be a downloaded app or widget running amok in the background, running task manager will help you identify problematic apps.

Supercharger
Supercharger's patched services.jar for One X test base 2.15.401.5
Supercharger's patched services.jar for One X test base 2.05.401.2
Supercharger's patched services.jar for One X base 1.29.401.11 + tutorial

Increase Interface Response
If this is not included in your ROM by default, add the following to build.prop, this will be added if you choose Miscellaneous & 3G tweaks in supercharger
windowsmgr.max_events_.per_sec=200

UI Frame Rate Cap
This line is not needed since ICS is 60 by default, but if you add it to build.prop you will limit the UI FPS to your liking for example if you like 30fps, make sure to include the spaces:
persist.sys.NV_FPSLIMIT = 60

Warnings
This will only work on ROMs based on the ruu file number included in the zip filename, therefore you will lose any mod applied to rosie, such as transparent app drawer or themes, you can ask forum members to provide an updated version of these mods or you can search in this thread many members are posting their version of this mod, also note if you ever uninstalled and restored the sense launcher through Titanium backup this zip file won't work, since TB restores the launcher to system/app/com.htc.launcher.apk, so you will have to unzip, rename and manually push the file.

Poll [VOTE] Do you want Official Sense Launcher locked @ 60FPS?
Please contribute to this poll! in the hope that HTC will remove this effect in future version of Sense or at the least provide an options to disable it and so provide an out of box locked smooth launcher experience.
A locked smooth launcher concludes the initial perception of the device performance.
[UPDATE] Success! stock launcher is now locked 60fps smooth on update 2.17.401.2

Requests
Post your requests for specific ROMs and other Sense 4.0 devices and if myself or some other fellow XDAer find the time, we will apply it, you are required to post Rosie.apk along with the device name and firmware number.

Developers
You are welcome to include this mod, just please give credits

Donations
This mod in all its version took so much time from umy life, backtracking through the smali Rosie code, endless trying and testing, there was no global variable for this setting so i kept trying until i found out how to control the scrolling behavior with minimal code manipulation, so if this mod totally rocked your world or made your own ROM better, please consider donating, it will help encourage my future work and help my wife in forgiving me :D

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Older versions and variations are posted here:

Sense 4.0 - HTC One X | international
- Downloads for test Base 2.05.401.2 + AutoRotate
- Downloads for test Base 2.05.401.2
- Downloads for official Base 1.29.401.11 + AutoRotate
- Downloads for official Base 1.29.401.11
- Downloads for official Base 1.29.401.7

Sense 4.0 - HTC One X | AT&T, Rogers (thanks to sk806)
- [MOD][PORT] (5/22/12) SMOOTH & ULTRASMOOTH ROSIE |1.82|Windows & Mac Installers

Sense 4.0 - HTC One S (thanks to he_stheone64)
- [MOD] Supersmooth Rosie & 6x5 App Drawer - lagfree and smoother experience
Mini Guide - How to apply the fix to Sense 4.0 Rosie.apk

The modified code
A lot of lines were added so to find out what was changed:
- Download the full version of notepad++
- Download the Modded and Stock, FxWorkspace.smali & FxWorspaceClient.smali files
- Use the Plugins>Compare in notepad++ to compare each file with its stock alternative, it will highlight the added code for you
- The only difference between Ultra and Super is FxWorkspaceClient.smali file, where there are two conditions :cond_9 switched to :cond_3a

Extracting & repacking classes
- Download Backsmali pack and extract to a folder of your choice
- Copy your stock Rosie.apk to the same folder
- use 1-UnpackClassoutFromRosie.apk.bat file is provided to extract classout folder from classes.dex inside Rosie.apk
- Mod the .smali files using notepad++
- Once you are done modding use 2-RepakClassout.bat to repack the classes.dex file
- rename Rosie.apk to Rosie.zip and replace the classes.dex file using winrar etc
- rename back to Rosie.apk
- Done

AutoRotate patch
- com/htc/launcher/settings/SettingsUtil.smali, find the method "isSupportOrientationChange" and change the last "const/4 v0, 0x0" in the method to "const/4 v0, 0x1"

Sense 3.x - Previous Devices
[FIX][GUIDE] Ultra & Super, Liquid Smooth Rosie for Sense 3.0>3.6 ROMs v1.1

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Smooth Sense 4.0 Launcher mods for HTC One X (international) - base 1.29.401.7 | HD Resolution | Deodexed

The zip files will erase both Odexed Rosie.apk/.odex files and replace them with a single Deodexed Rosie.apk file

Attachments

• StockSenseLauncher_OneX_1.29.401.7.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,564
  • SuperSmoothSenseLauncher_OneX_1.29.401.7.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 750
  • UltraSmoothSenseLauncher_OneX_1.29.401.7.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,678
Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!
Thanks Hamdir brother :) :)
So I just woke up to see the freakin' ultra smooth rosie nailed on the head by Hamdir :D
So all glitches are gone as far as u have tested??

deal breaking bugs are fixed, re-written completely with clean code

but didn't test for a long time, so report what you find

the stock zip file is provided to restore as usual

inzaghi75

Oct 25, 2009
Can we use it with other roms like Bindroid?

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

DanteGR

Dec 14, 2010
Thessaloniki
www.facebook.com
OnePlus 11
Already flashed :)
Will provide feedback!

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 AM ----------

How to install

Edit sorry found it. Getting late here. Sorry.

Send from my Xtremed Bricked powered LeeDRoID One X

Make a nandbackup just in case, wipe cache and dalvik (just in case again) and flash in CWM :)

Reactions: Goku80

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
One word. Wow. You can notice the difference. Works like a charm. Very smooth. Working on LeeDRoID latest.

Send from my Xtremed Bricked powered LeeDRoID One X

Reactions: DanteGR

Lo_RaT_PeNaT

Aug 5, 2008
Valencia
have proven to work and really appreciate the improvement, however, apparently affect the mods, which had installed, for example in the case had the mod applications dougi, 6 x 6 app to flash after the change has been returned to the original 4 x 4, there would be some way to keep the previous mod?

Reactions: esk02k

rayford85

May 22, 2011
Very nice bro!!! just ported the ultra hack to CoreDroid. Very smooth indeed. I've been missing this Since I moved here from the DHD/Inspire threads:)

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
have proven to work and really appreciate the improvement, however, apparently affect the mods, which had installed, for example in the case had the mod applications dougi, 6 x 6 app to flash after the change has been returned to the original 4 x 4, there would be some way to keep the previous mod?

yes it affects the modes, the mod creator will have to include it in his future version

any mode applied to Rosie.apk will go away, mine is purely stock

the difference is day and night, I'm trying it right now and I can finally use Sense launcher

been on Apex since I bought my One X

Last edited:
Reactions: Rycon33 and Goku80

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Very nice bro!!! just ported the ultra hack to CoreDroid. Very smooth indeed. I've been missing this Since I moved here from the DHD/Inspire threads:)

keep in mind the old guides won't work

its an entirely different code

you need both Fxworkspace and Fxworkspaceclient this time, for both versions

and don't forget to give credits in your OP

what really pissing me off is that this how its supposed to be out of box on the One X

nearly everyone who bought the One X around me been surprised by the launcher lag and all puzzled given the CPU

Last edited:

tossero

Sep 13, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Has anybody here seen MY LAG ? I cannot find it anywhere ... :)

Thank you Hamdir , awesome job !

PS: there is something that you did not fix :( ... your PayPal account . Go 4 it !

Last edited:

DanteGR

Dec 14, 2010
Thessaloniki
www.facebook.com
OnePlus 11

what really pissing me off is that this how its supposed to be out of box on the One X

nearly everyone who bought the One X around me been surprised by the launcher lag and all puzzled given the CPU
Agreed mate.
It's really a shame that this beast of a phone was not like this out of the box..
So far it's smooth as butter with no issues!
Something is coming ur way shortly mate!
You seem to have saved the sense launcher ONCE AGAIN for me :)
THANK YOU!

EDIT: You really need to fix ur paypal account :p

rayford85

May 22, 2011

Yeah I seen your edits. I was fixing to ask How the Hell you hacked rosie_shortcut m10 for ultra smooth:D But I see now we had to skip this part. & if I post my addition somewhere, Of course you will get my praise &thx. this is much needed bro thanks for sharing.

maxld

Mar 21, 2009
Łódź
My phone is now so slick, smooth and fluid that I think I am gonna to be sick :D fantastic difference and an amazing job mate.

This should be a sticky.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sense 4.1 launcher on base 2.17.401.2 renders this mod obsolete, the launcher is 60fps smooth and locked, with full 3d widget and LWP, an amazing achievement HTC, keep it up!

This mod is only for Sense 4.0 bases but you can still use this thread to supercharge your ROM

This mod is reverse .smali rewrite that's actually changing with each Sense release from HTC, requires lots of testing and many times major recoding, code samples can be found in this post in other words its not a simple variable switch

Ultra Smooth Launcher locks the frame rate during page scroll in Sense launcher (Rosie.apk)

Essentially it's an optimization which forces Rosie to flatten the layers depth effect in Sense widgets, this effect is resource heavy and the reason for frame drops or stutter, the stock kernel rarely ramps the CPU clock beyond 1GHz or 2 cores in Sense launcher, which is good for both the battery and temps but causes random lag when dealing with this effect.

It's available in two flavors: screenshots

Super Smooth Rosie
    This will keep the layered widgets in the intial screen you begin scrolling from and freezes/flattens all the other pages until you stop scrolling.
    It will satisfy those who don't want to completely lose the effect. There might still be a very slight frame rate drop during the initial 3D flip.

Ultra Smooth Rosie
    This mod goes even further, it completely disables the layers effect by flattening and freezing all homescreens during scroll. Locked liquid smooth 60fps!
    Any lag or stutter you experience at this point is not caused by Sense launcher.

Sense 4.0 - HTC One X (international) - Downloads

- Smooth Rosie mods for test Base 2.05.401.2

- Smooth Rosie mods for test Base 2.05.401.2 + AutoRotate

- Smooth Rosie mods for test Base 1.29.401.11

- Smooth Rosie mods for test Base 1.29.401.11 + AutoRotate

This mod will simply replace your Rosie.apk and remove Rosie.odex if it's there, back up just in case!

It works on both custom and stock rooted ROMs (the zip file requires BusyBox)
    No need for wipe and you can flash them over each other using recovery, the stock file is provided in case you want to go back
    Links to other Sense 4.0 devices and older bases in the second post

Remaining random stutter & lag
    Any stutter you experience after applying ultra smooth is no longer self caused by the Sense launcher itself.
    You need to remember that switching ROMs every two days, means nothing will ever be smooth, simply because ROMs needs a while to settle everything and cache.
    Equally Android's multitasking priority groups are likely to blame, you can try the following to apply Supercharger's OOM priority fixes and reduce random stutter.
    There might still be a downloaded app or widget running amok in the background, running task manager will help you identify problematic apps.

Supercharger
    Supercharger's patched services.jar for One X test base 2.15.401.5
    Supercharger's patched services.jar for One X test base 2.05.401.2
    Supercharger's patched services.jar for One X base 1.29.401.11 + tutorial

Increase Interface Response
    If this is not included in your ROM by default, add the following to build.prop, this will be added if you choose Miscellaneous & 3G tweaks in supercharger

UI Frame Rate Cap
    This line is not needed since ICS is 60 by default, but if you add it to build.prop you will limit the UI FPS to your liking for example if you like 30fps, make sure to include the spaces:
    persist.sys.NV_FPSLIMIT = 60

Warnings
    This will only work on ROMs based on the ruu file number included in the zip filename, therefore you will lose any mod applied to rosie, such as transparent app drawer or themes, you can ask forum members to provide an updated version of these mods or you can search in this thread many members are posting their version of this mod, also note if you ever uninstalled and restored the sense launcher through Titanium backup this zip file won't work, since TB restores the launcher to system/app/com.htc.launcher.apk, so you will have to unzip, rename and manually push the file.

Poll [VOTE] Do you want Official Sense Launcher locked @ 60FPS?
    Please contribute to this poll! in the hope that HTC will remove this effect in future version of Sense or at the least provide an options to disable it and so provide an out of box locked smooth launcher experience.
    A locked smooth launcher concludes the initial perception of the device performance.
    [UPDATE] Success! stock launcher is now locked 60fps smooth on update 2.17.401.2

Requests
    Post your requests for specific ROMs and other Sense 4.0 devices and if myself or some other fellow XDAer find the time, we will apply it, you are required to post Rosie.apk along with the device name and firmware number.

Developers
    You are welcome to include this mod, just please give credits

Donations
    This mod in all its version took so much time from umy life, backtracking through the smali Rosie code, endless trying and testing, there was no global variable for this setting so i kept trying until i found out how to control the scrolling behavior with minimal code manipulation, so if this mod totally rocked your world or made your own ROM better, please consider donating, it will help encourage my future work and help my wife in forgiving me :D

Supercharger's patched services.jar for One X base 1.29.401.11

Attached are the patched services.jar file for those who like to try Superchager, keep in mind this thing is advanced and controversial too

For those using with customized ROMs simply upload your services.jar and use supercharger's webapp to patch it once uploaded you can download it as a CWR zip file, keep in mind this will only patch it to the recommended DieHard

Files for stock Base 2.15.401.5 are posted in here

Files for stock Base 2.05.401.2 are posted in here

---------------------------

About the different services.jar patches

This patches android's ADJ priority grouping in order to give better priority to the home launcher, reduce stutter and reloads

it comes in three versions:

Die-Hard Which is the default values of supercharger, makes the launcher very hard to kill unless a full screen app like a game is loaded and overrides it, it's advised to use this one and not the other two

HardToKill This is one step lower in priority than Die-Hard, still prevents launcher from reloading, this is the best for gaming

BulletProof This gives the maximum priority to the launcher and hence even harder to kill, this might cause performance issues with full screen apps like games or cause stutter in music

ICS Stock priority values for ICS, which HTC changed some of them in their version, try them out if you are only using Apex launcher

Stock The default HTC chosen launcher priority values

For the new comers all you need is the Die-Hard patch and the stock patch nearby in case you need to go back to stock

keep in mind the patch will wipe both caches, so u must wait for things to settle again before you can judge results

Quick Guide

- Nandroid backup!

- Download and flash the attached Supercharger Die-Hard patch

- Download the latest script from here (V6_SuperCharger_for_Android-Update9_RC9_Test_x.sh.pdf, rename from .sh.pdf to .sh), this file will most likely be updated so download the latest you can find, ignore the other scripts

- Download Script Manager

- Run script manager and choose browse as root from the settings

- Run the downloaded the script, choose the SU (run as root) BUT NOT THE BOOT option

- The script will run slow at first, so be patient as it gets done with it's admittedly lengthy presentation

- It will automatically go to Driver's console, most of the options in here are untested on the One X

- Select 0 or 1 for scrolling speed (0 is faster), NO for miscellaneous & 3G tweaks, NO for fix emissions on boot, No for wheel alignment, NO for detailing on boot, YES to disable v6 animation

- It will now attempt to automatically apply SuperMinFree calculator, select NO again

- Finally you have have control, current minfrees are the stock memory multitasking values, so if you just want to keep them as they are, choose option 10 and select NO for calculator values and then select YES to supercharge the current stock minfrees (multitasking values)

- Otherwise you can select any other option from 1 to 9 to select you taste of Memory multitasking values, I went with option 7 for a balanced setup, you can choose option 9 Super 1000HP if gaming is most important for you at the expense of multitasking

- It should say Launcher is Die-Hard and Supercharger level is 100% at the bottom

- Ignore all other options or do it on your own, Nitro Lag nullifier is untested on the One X and kernelizer is causing issues like killing 2 CPU cores

- Remember you can always change the minfree values on the fly, or set up a script manager widget

- To uninstall select the unsupercharger option, reboot to recovery and flash the stock services.jar file

good luck!

About Miscellaneous & 3G tweaks

If you choose Yes from the driver options it will add the following to build.prop

will increase interface and touch response (you can always add it yourself to build.prop if its not there)

the script will also add

persist.sys.purgeable_assets = 1
    wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180

as well as 3G tweaks so test your 3G to see if its good, otherwise you can set it NO again from driver options

New versions of the script will mess with the SD and VM size with this option, these are no good for HOX so choose NO

About Supercharger script

Supercharger is an advanced script to control android multitasking, memfrees, fix launcher priorities and nail launcher stutters/lags, its made by Zeppelinrox

Remember you will need one of the attached HardToKill, DieHard or BulletProof patches in order for Supercharger to work properly
    Smooth Sense 4.0 Launcher mods for HTC One X (international) - base 1.29.401.11 | HD Resolution | Deodexed

The zip files will erase both Odexed Rosie.apk/.odex files and replace them with a single Deodexed Rosie.apk file

Those on official rooted ROMs use the stock Odexed file to restore original Rosie before you apply OTA
    Smooth Sense 4.0 Launcher mods for HTC One X (international) - Test Base 2.05.401.2 | 1280x720 | Deodexed

They seem to be attempting to optimize the 3D scrolling somehow but the code is currently a bit of a mess, it's a test release after, i had to undo some of their new tricks in order to make this work
    Smooth Sense 4.0 Launcher mods for HTC One X (international) - base 1.29.401.7 | HD Resolution | Deodexed