Help Me Understand Android Build Numbers

Search This thread

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
OK I know they mean something...let's examine Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and ICS...

GRH55
HLK75H
ICL53F

Obviously the first letter is indicative of the Android code name (Gingerbread, Honeycomb, ICS, etc.).

What does the rest of it mean?

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
OK I know they mean something...let's examine Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and ICS...

GRH55
HLK75H
ICL53F

Obviously the first letter is indicative of the Android code name (Gingerbread, Honeycomb, ICS, etc.).

I am a little rusty, but:

First letter is Android OS version name.
Second letter is month code ?
Third letter is year code. L was 2011, M is 2012.
The fourth and fifth number is the main build number, and the last letter is the variant of the main build number. IMM76D, IMM76I, and IMM76K are all the same main build with slight variations.

I might be slightly off.

Reactions: boydee

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
All I could find on Android.com is what build goes with what version and API level. That's not what I'm interested in. I want the build number dissected to know exactly what it means.

Adrynalyne took care of it. :D
Adrynalyne is close, but not exactly right. :)

First letter = release family, e.g. F is Froyo
Second letter = branch code that allows Google to identify the exact code branch that the build was made from, and R is by convention the primary release branch
Third letter and the two numbers = date code. The letter counts quarters, with A being Q1 2009. Therefore, F is Q2 2010. The two digits count days within the quarter, so F85 is June 24 2010.
Last letter = individual versions related to the same date code, sequentially starting with A; A is actually implicit and usually omitted for brevity.

Source: http://source.android.com/source/build-numbers.html

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC

Second letter = branch code that allows Google to identify the exact code branch that the build was made from, and R is by convention the primary release branch
Third letter and the two numbers = date code. The letter counts quarters, with A being Q1 2009. Therefore, F is Q2 2010. The two digits count days within the quarter, so F85 is June 24 2010.
Last letter = individual versions related to the same date code, sequentially starting with A; A is actually implicit and usually omitted for brevity.

I guess I should have read a little better. Thanks! :)

Do we have any idea what the other "second letters" mean? In addition to the "R" release branch, I've seen C, L, M, P, S, T, and W.

Last edited:

tigran-s

Aug 5, 2011
Yerevan
Can anybody help to understand what does this one means?

Build number 1.17.1010.1 CL217236 release-keys

Last edited:

karasuhebi

Apr 29, 2010
Orlando

Sorry to ask this here, since this is a thread on the Gnex forum but....what about the rest of the numbers Samsung uses on it's (probably TouchWiz-based, not AOSP-based) devices' build numbers? When I go to "About Phone" on my ET4G running the latest Sprint OTA (4.0.4), it's build number is IMM76I.FH13

From what I've seen, that last set of digits indicates either the kernel, modem or ROM. Not sure which of the three though since, as you can see, I'm currently running FH13 which from what I understand just so happens to be a build number that this specific set of ROM, kernel AND modem all share lol. I know there's a new kernel/modem combo that is FI03, so maybe I'll try updating to that to see if it brings up the build number on "About Phone" to IMM76I.FI03. If it doesn't, then I'll know that last string of numbers is probably indicative of the ROM's build.

But hey, maybe I'm completely wrong! Does anyone really know what the last set of digits of the build number on Samsung devices means?

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Sorry to ask this here, since this is a thread on the Gnex forum but....what about the rest of the numbers Samsung uses on it's (probably TouchWiz-based, not AOSP-based) devices' build numbers? When I go to "About Phone" on my ET4G running the latest Sprint OTA (4.0.4), it's build number is IMM76I.FH13

From what I've seen, that last set of digits indicates either the kernel, modem or ROM. Not sure which of the three though since, as you can see, I'm currently running FH13 which from what I understand just so happens to be a build number that this specific set of ROM, kernel AND modem all share lol. I know there's a new kernel/modem combo that is FI03, so maybe I'll try updating to that to see if it brings up the build number on "About Phone" to IMM76I.FI03. If it doesn't, then I'll know that last string of numbers is probably indicative of the ROM's build.

But hey, maybe I'm completely wrong! Does anyone really know what the last set of digits of the build number on Samsung devices means?
Not entirely sure, but I would hazard a guess that it denotes a combination of the modem and ROM build, at least that is what it is on GNex devices running a Samsung build.

karasuhebi

Apr 29, 2010
Orlando
Oh okay so it uses those extra build numbers on AOSP-based devices as well? Good to know, thanks! :)

So you can confirm those extra digits it's showing on the build number are not related to the kernel? It's either the ROM or the modem?

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Oh okay so it uses those extra build numbers on AOSP-based devices as well? Good to know, thanks! :)

So you can confirm those extra digits it's showing on the build number are not related to the kernel? It's either the ROM or the modem?
As I mentioned, those extra digits only appear on NON-Google builds -- they do not appear on Google-compiled ROMs. And yes, for the GNex, if running a Samsung build, those numbers have nothing to do with the kernel.

karasuhebi

Apr 29, 2010
Orlando
As I mentioned, those extra digits only appear on NON-Google builds -- they do not appear on Google-compiled ROMs. And yes, for the GNex, if running a Samsung build, those numbers have nothing to do with the kernel.

Sorry, I meant to say AOSP-based Samsung devices (running stock Samsung ROMs, of course). But ok cool, good to know it doesn't have to do with the kernel. It has to be the modem's build number then...but I will confirm when I flash the latest modem, which is FI03. If I check my build number after I do that and it's IMM76I.FI03, then I'll know for sure. If it stays as IMM76I.FH16 after the flash, then I'll know the extra digits on the build number indicate the ROMs build.

Thanks again for the help! :)

boydee

Oct 14, 2012
Kampala
FROYO BUILD :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Hey guys, I was wondering If I could get some help identifying what this build means,

FROYO.JVJPF

It's on a Samsung Galaxy S [I9000]
My AIM is to identify what the JVJPF stands for. Is it the CSC, PHONE, or PDA value?? Or none???
:eek: :D:D:D:D

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Hey guys, I was wondering If I could get some help identifying what this build means,

FROYO.JVJPF

My AIM is to identify what the JVJPF stands for. Is it the CSC, PHONE, or PDA value?? Or none???

If it were a modern Samsung device, that would most certainly denote the PDA. The I9000 is what? 3 years old now? I can't say for sure that it's the PDA, but JVJPF would translate to a date that certainly jives with the lifetime of the I9000. Great device, BTW.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Reactions: boydee

boydee

Oct 14, 2012
Kampala
Cool!

If it were a modern Samsung device, that would most certainly denote the PDA. The I9000 is what? 3 years old now? I can't say for sure that it's the PDA, but JVJPF would translate to a date that certainly jives with the lifetime of the I9000. Great device, BTW.

Thanks for the [lightning-fast] response. In my country, everyone is asleep right now, so you can imagine the shock when I got an email alert :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm planning to upgrade the SGS but I've already only downloaded the Odin package zip. I was wondering if there was a way of predicting what the build will show AFTER I flash the phone BEFORE I actually flash it, so I can download the [most]correct CF-Root to flash it with after the update.

PS: I don't have the phone on me right now :angel:

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Thanks for the [lightning-fast] response. In my country, everyone is asleep right now, so you can imagine the shock when I got an email alert :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm planning to upgrade the SGS but I've already only downloaded the Odin package zip. I was wondering if there was a way of predicting what the build will show AFTER I flash the phone BEFORE I actually flash it, so I can download the [most]correct CF-Root to flash it with after the update.

PS: I don't have the phone on me right now :angel:

I can't help you there, unfortunately. I know nothing at all about flashing firmware to the I9000. :(

Good luck, though!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All I could find on Android.com is what build goes with what version and API level. That's not what I'm interested in. I want the build number dissected to know exactly what it means.

Adrynalyne took care of it. :D

GRH55
    HLK75H
    ICL53F

I am a little rusty, but:

First letter is Android OS version name.
    Second letter is month code ?
    Third letter is year code. L was 2011, M is 2012.
    The fourth and fifth number is the main build number, and the last letter is the variant of the main build number. IMM76D, IMM76I, and IMM76K are all the same main build with slight variations.

I might be slightly off.
    Can anybody help to understand what does this one means?
    i have a HTC Desire

Build number 1.17.1010.1 CL217236 release-keys

HTC probably isn't following the same naming convention as Google does for AOSP releases...

FROYO.JVJPF