Google Camera Mod

Search This thread

flipp0

Jun 2, 2013
Looks great. Any crashes at all to report?

Yes, sometimes it crashes but not that often.

Regarding, photo quality. Yes, it looks great, especially in low light. I have used the gcam mod on many devices and it always delivers great stills. Even older and cheaper phones like Redmi 5 Plus and Mi 5s Plus with worse camera hardware takes great low light photos when using gcam and hdr+.

On smartphones, I believe photo quality is like 90% good software optimization and 10% good hardware.

Reactions: Quyetcgc

stephendt0

Apr 9, 2012
QLD, Australia
Yes, sometimes it crashes but not that often.

Regarding, photo quality. Yes, it looks great, especially in low light. I have used the gcam mod on many devices and it always delivers great stills. Even older and cheaper phones like Redmi 5 Plus and Mi 5s Plus with worse camera hardware takes great low light photos when using gcam and hdr+.

On smartphones, I believe photo quality is like 90% good software optimization and 10% good hardware.

Sounds like a good start. Perhaps try saneklic's APKs? They're optimised for the Redmi 5 Plus, which has a similar sensor and framework to the Mi Max 3. I found them to be very stable on my Redmi Note 4.

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-saneklic/

flipp0

Jun 2, 2013
Sounds like a good start. Perhaps try saneklic's APKs? They're optimised for the Redmi 5 Plus, which has a similar sensor and framework to the Mi Max 3. I found them to be very stable on my Redmi Note 4.

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-saneklic/
Yes but Max 3 is even more similar to Redmi Note 5 AI (same sensor and SOC) and the apk above is that works best on Note 5 according to users on the Note 5 forum I think.

Last edited:

Roykooiman

May 26, 2015
Andijk
Oh man I can't wait till mine arrives, sucks that I need to wait 360 hours before I can flash anything and try this camera. GCAm is always so darn good.

bhammler

Feb 19, 2008
Xiaomi 11T Pro
I found a better version of GCAM:

MGC_5.3.015_B-S-G-based_v.1.0.7_TlnNeun.apk
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/MGC_5.3.015_B-S-G-based_v.1.0.7_TlnNeun.apk

Magisk Camera2API should be installed.

it makes very good photos in the dark.

My settings:

Correction of auto-exposure = 1/2 sec.
Reduce noise reduction = on
Auto correction HDR+ = High Quality
Advanced --> Fix Black Level = On & Maximum ISO in the dark = on

Pictures taken in the dark with HDR+ enhanced are very good - I'm impressed.

Check yourself: stock cam vs. GCAM
PSX_20180817_145536.jpg

samson09

May 18, 2010
Why root is needed? On other phone it works without root.

Wysłane z mojego x600 przy użyciu Tapatalka

anhkind8

Aug 22, 2018
Can I just install Magisk to activate Camera2api then later uninstall Magisk? Camera2api is still available after the uninstallation, isn't it? I don't need root and I'm also afraid some of my bank apps wouldn't run with the rooted phones.

samson09

May 18, 2010
Do could anyone write some tutorial how to install gcam without root?

Wysłane z mojego X600 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is working api2 enabler zip for pie at 4pda (russian) mi max 3 camera forum.
    It make it work on 8.11.29 pie.
    BSG based 61013 works fine. Even night mode black(or green) screen is fixed.
    Yes, correct, there is one just released. Thank you. I'm attaching it here. It's a magisk module.
    Alright I figured it out. For those who are new to the Mi Max 3 and are wanting Gcam, this is what you need to do:

Make sure your bootloader is unlocked. Mine was shipped unlocked. I have the 6gb/128gb global version.

https://dl.twrp.me/nitrogen/
    Download the latest TWRP (nitrogen is the codename for the mi max 3)
    Get ADB 1.4.3 HERE
    Get Magisk v19.3 HERE
    Extract your ADB folder to an easy location (I used c:\adb)
    Enable developer options on phone (settings, about phone, tap on MIUI version 5 times)
    Enable USB debugging on phone (settings, additional settings, developer options)
    Rename your twrp image file to twrp.img (easier for flashing) and place it in the same directory as your ADB
    Also put your magisk-v19.3.zip in the same directory as your ADB
    Plug your phone in via USB to your computer
    open ADB directory via command prompt and run these commands:

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot reboot

Now here's a tricky part: right when you press enter on "fastboot reboot" get ready to hold down power button and volume up once the phone starts to reboot so it enters the new twrp recovery. If you don't do this and the phone boots back into the rom, it'll over-write the recovery and you'll have to reflash the twrp.img via adb all over again. So make sure you nail getting into the new twrp recovery right after "fastboot reboot".

Once in TWRP, go to advanced, tap on ADB Sideload
    Go back to your command prompt that has your ADB directory entered. If you closed it, re-open command prompt and enter your ADB directory

command:
    adb sideload c:\adb\Magisk-v19.3.zip

Let it do its thing, you might get a few errors, it's fine. reboot.
    Download buildprop editor via google play
    Open buildprop, make sure it asks for root access, if it doesn't, you didn't sideload magisk properly
    Scroll down to where it says "# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES" for me it was around line 400
    Under "# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES" paste these lines from page 18 of this thread:

persist.camera.HAL3.enabled=1
    persist.camera.eis.enable=1
    persist.camera.is_mode=4
    persist.camera.stats.test=5
    persist.vendor.camera.HAL3.enabled=1
    persist.vendor.camera.eis.enable=1
    persist.vendor.camera.is_mode=4
    persist.vendor.camera.stats.test=5

Tap on save. then tap on the three dots at the top right and go to properties
    Then go to permissions
    Set permissions to 644 by checkmarking "R" for "Group" and "Others" you'll know you did it right because the number below will change from 600 to 644
    Tap on apply, then go back, tap on the disk and go to "save and exit"
    Reboot your phone

Before installing Gcam, download the app "Manual Camera Compatibility Test"
    Start the test. if all goes green, Gcam will work. If it goes red, something wasn't done right in the above steps.

If all goes green, choose your version of Gcam that you like and enjoy :) There is no option for 1080p 60fps video recording and 4k video recording does not work.

If you've softbricked your phone (black loading screen with the three dots but OS never loads), make sure to sideload magisk. if you try to install the zip the normal way through TWRP, it won't bypass the dm-verity and it'll cause softbrick.

If you did softbrick, here's what I did to my Mi Max 3 back to bone-stock:
    Get MiFlash HERE I found version 2017.4.25.0 worked best.
    Open MiFlash and select "Driver" at the top and make sure all the drivers are installed
    Put your Mi Max 3 in fastboot mode (hold power button and volume down)
    Go to THIS THREAD and select the fastboot stock rom which suits your model. I'm using MIUI 10 V10.3.3.0.PEDMIXM because I have the global 6gb/128gb version
    Download and extract the tgz file to an easy location
    In MiFlash, select the folder of the extracted tgz file and hit "refresh" so it finds your phone while its plugged in via USB
    At the bottom right, make sure "clean all" is selected
    Click on "flash" and let it do its thing. It'll take a few minutes...and blamo, you're back to stock.
    I found a better version of GCAM:

MGC_5.3.015_B-S-G-based_v.1.0.7_TlnNeun.apk
    https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/MGC_5.3.015_B-S-G-based_v.1.0.7_TlnNeun.apk

Magisk Camera2API should be installed.

it makes very good photos in the dark.

My settings:

Correction of auto-exposure = 1/2 sec.
    Reduce noise reduction = on
    Auto correction HDR+ = High Quality
    Advanced --> Fix Black Level = On & Maximum ISO in the dark = on

Pictures taken in the dark with HDR+ enhanced are very good - I'm impressed.

Check yourself: stock cam vs. GCAM
    PSX_20180817_145536.jpg
    Arnova8G2 made latest final build of 6.1.021 GCam mod, which is not lags and have working night mode! Kudos!
    It has almost everything working: ZSL HDR+, Extended HDR+, both on back and front camera (set front camera model to Nexus 6P to reduce noise). Portrait mode works, photobooth, motion detection - everything is fine. Back and front flash are working, but not in auto flash mode. Front flash is smart and will use LED flash only when necessary (no light conditions), otherwise will use only display backlight. Slow motion works, but it's fake. ?
    Here's the link: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78472914&postcount=705&nocache=1&z=9878541585204182
    Tested on xiaomi.eu 8.12.6 (Android 9).
    Magisk module for Cam2api activation on Pie is attached.

As for errors, they are common on all gcam mods for our device.
    @Arnova8G2 Portrait mode with front flash crashes on my Mi Max 3 (nitrogen) running Xiaomi.eu MiUI 8.12.6 (Android 9). I'm using "MGC_6.1.021_BSG_Arnova_TlnNeun_1.2_Final.apk".
    To reproduce, open the app, go to portrait mode using the front camera, turn flash on and take a picture.
    Here's the crash log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VGer4VfDLnLBxHr5BMKjQwiLolWU0suT/view?usp=drivesdk

@Arnova8G2 Auto flash on both back and front cameras crashes on my Mi Max 3 (nitrogen) running Xiaomi.eu MiUI 8.12.6 (Android 9). I'm using "MGC_6.1.021_BSG_Arnova_TlnNeun_1.2_Final.apk".
    To reproduce, open the app, turn auto flash on and take a picture. Flash off and flash on (no auto) works as intended.
    Here's the crash log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iFhTwttASqL8rCdqFbV1eydCUQAfXwXk/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for your contributions! ?