[Q] Turn TV Off after done with Chromecast

Search This thread

NoClemency

Sep 3, 2011
Fort Worth
I really like how the Chromecast can turn my TV to the correct source and turn it on when I start casting. But is there a way to tell it to turn the TV off when I'm done with it. For example I'm using my ipad to start a movie on Netflix and cast it to the Chromecast. Everything works good. But I left the TV remote next to the TV. Is there a way to turn the TV off from the ipad or a computer with the Chromecast that way I can literally leave my TV remote in a drawer and never have to tough it?

SKyRocKeting727

Nov 22, 2011
Sacramento
I don't believe chromecast is capable of that. The device you're using has to have an IR blaster to be able to turn the tv on and off. Most new high-end androids have an IR blaster (G2, Note 3, S4, One).

Sent from my JEE TWO

aburns7487

Mar 14, 2011
If you have Verizon fios they have an app that goes through your router that you can change tv don't need IR, since it uses wifi.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
The CEC Power off command is usually sent as part of the power down sequence of the device tat is sending it.

Pull the plug on the TV and it will not send a power down command to other devices on the CEC Network but hit the power Button and it will.

Since the Chromecast never really powers down (it does restart) it is difficult to know when it should send a power off command.
It would not be good to have it send one after every stream is done because most people aren't done watching TV after every stream completes.

Better would be if the CCast would send a Change Input command to go back to the last input before it took over (No command for that in CEC that I know of) so that if you streamed something when the TV was seeing the Cablebox, It would switch to CCast Input when it had a stream and then would switch back to whatever input it was on before CCast took over the screen.

That would be much more useful than a power off command which is great only when you want to watch one stream and then nothing else.

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
I don't believe chromecast is capable of that. The device you're using has to have an IR blaster to be able to turn the tv on and off. Most new high-end androids have an IR blaster (G2, Note 3, S4, One).

Huh? The Chromecast can already turn on and change inputs on some tvs using HDMI CEC. It is most likely a design decision not to turn the tv off when it disconnects.

seigex

Jun 28, 2007
My TV has an option in the menu to auto switch inputs when it detects activity on one of them through HDMI. So when I turn my bluray on the TV will detect that and switch to INPUT 3 and preempt my satellite input. It's kind of a pain that when I insert a bluray into the player it auto switches even if I'm not ready.

-- EDIT: nevermind, that was an older TV. New one doesn't, so it's HDMI CEC (VieraLink for mine) as bozzykid said.

Last edited:

edscholl

Jun 7, 2008
The CEC Power off command is usually sent as part of the power down sequence of the device tat is sending it.
Since the Chromecast never really powers down (it does restart) it is difficult to know when it should send a power off command.
It would not be good to have it send one after every stream is done because most people aren't done watching TV after every stream completes.

It'd be nice if there was a manual option... Maybe an option when you long click the chromecast button...

ETFoneHome

Jun 11, 2012
While I watching a stream on Chromecast, Google Android smartwatch with Chromecast control popped into my head as I picked up the smartphone to pause Netflix for a snack break.

Reactions: EarlyMon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While I watching a stream on Chromecast, Google Android smartwatch with Chromecast control popped into my head as I picked up the smartphone to pause Netflix for a snack break.