[Q]Moving the HTC Album cache to storage card?

Search This thread

Mithrandir007

Aug 25, 2007
Rixensart, Belgium
After finding out my internal storage available space was getting low much faster than it should, I deleted the cache from google maps, opera (and moved its location to the storage card), but I can't find a way to move the cache from the HTC Album.
It takes around 30Mb on my device, and if I delete it, it'll just get back to that size in a few days.

I know I can just delete it every time it's too big, but I'm guessing it makes the albums loading faster, so if it's possible, I'd prefer not to delete it, but to move it to the storage card instead.
Is it possible to change the default location of the cache?

DMAND

Dec 6, 2006
This would be good, I too ended up wondering where all my space had gone only to find the HTC ALBUM cache folder taking up 20MB

DenOdin

Nov 29, 2009
Ditto^^
I find it strange because this would ultimately lead to a completely occupied memory over time (given you take enough pictures). You'd think they thought about that...

Mithrandir007

Aug 25, 2007
Rixensart, Belgium
I can't seem to find anything about this, and after looking at the registry, I didn't find any key that seems to control this either.

Is there so few people bothered by this? :confused:

rschubert

Jan 24, 2009
i am as bothered as you (and running with very few storage left), and wait for a solution. Putting the cache not on the storage card was quite dumb from HTC given the very limited storage. Unfortunately, I am a solution leecher, not a seeder.

:)

alexd83

Jan 13, 2009
Mons
After finding out my internal storage available space was getting low much faster than it should, I deleted the cache from google maps, opera (and moved its location to the storage card), but I can't find a way to move the cache from the HTC Album.
It takes around 30Mb on my device, and if I delete it, it'll just get back to that size in a few days.

I know I can just delete it every time it's too big, but I'm guessing it makes the albums loading faster, so if it's possible, I'd prefer not to delete it, but to move it to the storage card instead.
Is it possible to change the default location of the cache?

Sorry, probably a noob question but how did you do it for Opera ?

Thanks in advance

Cheesy Dave

Dec 16, 2003
It's in the camera settings. Start the camera; select the strange box on the bottom left with an arrow on the side; hit the "settings" wheel - looks like a cart wheel; then you should have a big box in the middle of the screen with settings options; now select the lower left hand box labelled "storage". When you have the "storage" option with the picture of a SD card then that's where the photos will go.

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
It's in the camera settings. Start the camera; select the strange box on the bottom left with an arrow on the side; hit the "settings" wheel - looks like a cart wheel; then you should have a big box in the middle of the screen with settings options; now select the lower left hand box labelled "storage". When you have the "storage" option with the picture of a SD card then that's where the photos will go.

That's not the album cache - that's the camera storage location :)

Mithrandir007

Aug 25, 2007
Rixensart, Belgium
Sorry, probably a noob question but how did you do it for Opera ?

Thanks in advance
For Opera, it's not too hard.

Open Opera, and type "opera:config" in the address bar.
You'll then be in the config page, find the section "User Prefs".

In there, you should find something called "Cache Directory4". Just change that path to any directory in your storage card (for example : "\Storage Card\OperaCache").

Cheesy Dave : Thanks for the answer, but as johncmolyneux said, it's the cache I'd like to move to the storage card (which contains the thumbnails of your images along with other information).
The pictures are already going to the storage card. :)

Cheesy Dave

Dec 16, 2003
Hi, whoops - sorry I misunderstood the question. Now where is the cache kept ?

I did think the question was simple; but, I thought it might help to explain the settings in the camera.

Confession: I've no idea where the cache is kept. Must explore ...

DenOdin

Nov 29, 2009
OMG.................................... wasn't that the question of this thread???

LoL:D

A bit off topic; but the same cache problem applies to the google maps and youtube applications. Offcourse we could always empty the cachefolders manually now and then, but I would still like some kind of tweak to solve this problem.

jimsteach

Dec 11, 2009
this came to my attention last night when my phone totally ran out of storage when i wasn't actually storing anything on it. i had about 50 mp3's and 10 pictures but all on the storage card. as i didn't know what to do i reverted to clearing the storage which essentially reset it.
i cant believe this problem isn't topping the forum its a massive issue for me. i monitored the storage during a web browsing session this morning. i lost about 10meg of storage in 20 mins and this wasn't cleared when i ended the session. what i dont understand is opera is set to have a 4 meg cache limit. even if someone works out how to transfer all the cache files to the sd card it wont really help as it will eventually fill that up. is i did very little with my phone in the 1st week of owning it other than surf im fairly sure it must have nearly all been browser cache. 130mb of it1! so in fairly sure it will just keep munching and munching storage.
i now have a very tough decision to make i love this phone but i have 24 hours to send it back to o2 and swap it for something else. whats everyones opinions is this likely to get fixed and how long will it take? or should i give up and get an isheep?

DMAND

Dec 6, 2006
Surely htc could just add an option in settings to empty all cache, or auto empty

Gustopher

@jimsteach

A few posts back up this thread there are instructions for moving the Opera cache to the SD Card - it's pretty much an essential in my book given the storage situation on the device.

I too have trawled the registry trying to find where the Album cache is set, but it looks like HTC have modified the architecture and/or use of the registry in building Sense. I'd also love to be able to move mail to the SD Card, but the normal tweak doesn't work for that either.

4tune

Aug 31, 2007
Alkmaar
The location of album cache seems to be hardcoded in HTCAlbum.exe. The Unicode string "\Application Data\HTC\HTC ALBUM\Cache" occurs 7 times when searching in the file with a hex editor. This weekend I will try to modify HTCAlbum.exe and insert a location to storage card.

What puzzles me most is the size album cache can grow to, it seems almost unlimited. I mean, I have never seen any complaints with other devices. The only reg key I found is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\HTCAlbum:cache_serial". Does anyone know what this does?

And another key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\SDMemory\FATFS:EnableCache"
Anyone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -=At page 6 there's a new version=-

OK, it wasn't that hard to modify HTCAlbum.exe. Here it is :)
    It will change the directory of your album cache to: "\Storage Card\My Documents\HTCA\Cache"

Just install the attached cab. You will be prompted for a soft reset.

*Note1: For this to work, SdkCerts.cab must be installed first. Most of you will already have this on the device for other purposes.

*Note2: This modified HTCAlbum.exe is only suited for the current HTC Sense version on your HD2. Future (custom) roms will need a new patched version.

*Note3: The files PG_IC_C and PG_IC_R will remain on the device memory. No idea why... will look in to it.

It works for me, please feedback if everything is OK for you :D