[Recovery] ClockworkMod Recovery flashable from bootloader

Search This thread

Absolute_Zero

Aug 28, 2010
DC
Someone asked if it was possible to flash ClockworkMod Recovery through hboot instead of using RomManager. The answer...yes.

Primary reason something of this nature may be useful, as I see it, is if your recovery is damaged, your ROM is bootlooping, and you don't want to use or have access to ADB.
In that case you would:
  1. remove your sdcard from your phone
  2. place the zip on the root of the sdcard (using an adapter or another phone) and make sure it is named the appropriate "PG05IMG.zip"
  3. place the sdcard back in your phone
  4. boot to bootloader as if you're installing a radio (power+VolDown from powerOff). It will then find the zip, recognize it as recovery and ask if you want to install (if it does not prompt then select "Bootloader" from hboot).
  5. Follow the instructions and after it finishes flashing pull your battery to power off (since the ROM will be bootlooping and hboot will constantly find the zip)
  6. Now remove the sdcard and delete the zip (via adapter or other phone) like you did to put it on the sdcard, then place the card back in the phone.
  7. Boot back to bootloader (Pwr+VolDwn)
  8. Select "Recovery" and use CWR to wipe data/cache, flash a new rom, restore, or whatever you wish.

Obviously not the only reason since some people prefer this method over RM but clearly in that case the whole sdcard switching mess is unnecessary. Just do steps 2 and 4 and reboot when prompted like you do with radios.
Remember to remove any PGO5IMG.zip from your sdcard when done.

If this isn't useful to you, so be it. I just figured I'd throw this out there. Maybe it will help someone.

I will keep this updated as new versions come out for those few that find it useful.

**Credit to Koush and jcase**
All I did was decide to throw them in a zip that was useful in some situations for panicking users.

Updates
8/9/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (4.0.1.5) released 8/8/2011.
8/30/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.0.1) released less than an hour ago. Added mirror.
8/31/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.0.8)
9/1/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.1.0)
9/5/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.2.1)
2/1/2012: Added touch based CWR released this morning (5.8.0.2) *NOTE: Have not personally tested.

If any of these cause problems please let me know immediately.

Latest Official=5.0.2.1
jcase modded=4.0.0.5

Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?9zt68cegl6qa3

MD5:
66750618ecfba292c0b0e42c50c2c3ee - (CWR3.1.0.2)PG05IMG.zip
1f390edad7e87310fe80b3264a57b14b - (CWR4.0.0.5)PG05IMG.zip
6aac529cedcd2b22afac7391a4cb7efb - (CWR4.0.1.5)PG05IMG.zip
bf25b2601441b9fffb7d68954c4ff3b5 - (CWR5.0.0.1)PG05IMG.zip
dfe1ddf0c574977ee2c1828735ef2dc0 - (CWR5.0.0.8)PG05IMG.zip
8474c8d607177b0144eec624dea687b7 - (CWR5.0.1.0)PG05IMG.zip
c4c1d9c5e553fd7b151352551b931369 - (CWR5.0.2.1)PG05IMG.zip
58557e1e355c795d748c2e6c66251f0a - (CWR5.8.0.2)PG05IMG.zip

Attachments

• (CWR3.1.0.2)PG05IMG.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 3,800
  • (CWR4.0.0.5)PG05IMG.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 1,290
  • (CWR4.0.1.5)PG05IMG.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 3,676
  • (CWR5.0.0.1)PG05IMG.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 669
  • (CWR5.0.0.8)PG05IMG.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 499
  • (CWR5.0.1.0)PG05IMG.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 600
  • (CWR5.0.2.1)PG05IMG.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 8,089
  • (CWR5.8.0.2)PG05IMG.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 4,322
Last edited:

DroidTh3ory

Dec 12, 2010
Troy, Michigan
www.droid-hive.com
Someone asked if it was possible to flash ClockworkMod Recovery through hboot instead of using RomManager. I didn't see the need at the time but I took a few minutes to throw together a test. Let me know if it works for you or not.

I tested flashing the stock recovery from the custom firmware, confirmed it had replaced CWR, then used this to install CWR back.

Primary reason something of this nature may be useful, as I see it, is if your recovery is damaged, your ROM is bootlooping, and you don't want or have access to ADB. In that case you would just pull your sdcard, place this on the root (via adapter or someone else's phone) named the appropriate "PG05IMG.zip", place back in your phone, and boot to bootloader as if you're installing a radio. It should then find it, recognize it as recovery and ask if you want to install.

Additionally, seems if it is as easy as swapping the .img out which is all I did, then the original custom upgrade firmware flashed in the last step of the root guide could include this. Then you'd have CWR immediately after finishing the permaroot guide.

If this doesn't work and doesn't have any use for anyone, so be it. I just figured I'd throw this out there.

BTW, this is ClockworkMod Recovery 3.1.0.2 (latest for mecha at time of posting).

Note1: Only tested on Engr hboot with S-off obviously
Note2: I don't have access to an MD5 generator where I am so people that test this should have a booting ROM with RomManager or at least know how to manually reflash ClockworkMod Recovery if it doesn't work.

Good work.on this... A LOT of people are going enjoy it!! It is also a great way to install the modded 4.0.0.5 Clockwork with the boot to bootloader option.

I always had to "flash recovery" in adb.

Props!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

Sword.Zero

Aug 27, 2010
Good work.on this... A LOT of people are going enjoy it!! It is also a great way to install the modded 4.0.0.5 Clockwork with the boot to bootloader option.

I always had to "flash recovery" in adb.

Props!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

There's a modded 4.0.0.5 CWM Recovery out there?? Where can I find the post for this ?

DroidTh3ory

Dec 12, 2010
Troy, Michigan
www.droid-hive.com
Post a link to it and I'll make one when I get home. That way I can test again. Hopefully the modded one you speak of is fully stable and functional.

Here is your package with the 4.0.0.5 Modded Recovery ready to flash in HBOOT.

JCASE created the Recovery, so him the love for it. I all I have done is use it. LOL It gives you the option under "advanced" to "reboot bootloader". So you can install the ROM, then simply boot into boot loader to flash the radio.

View attachment (CWR4.0.0.5)PG05IMG.zip

Absolute_Zero

Aug 28, 2010
DC

JCASE created the Recovery, so him the love for it. I all I have done is use it. LOL It gives you the option under "advanced" to "reboot bootloader". So you can install the ROM, then simply boot into boot loader to flash the radio.

View attachment 661641
In your case it would probably be easier to just use flash_image from terminal on the phone (i.e. flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img) assuming your current rom has it (if not just search and download it) or you have RM installed. The main case I saw this being useful was if you didn't have or want to use ADB and your ROM was unusable (e.g. bootlooping). I may add Jcase's modded recovery to the OP as well since it seems useful/wanted by some.

Last edited:

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
I thought the one JCase made had issues with nandroid backups installing? I could be wrong but for some reason I remember that issue for several people.

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
Additionally, seems if it is as easy as swapping the .img out which is all I did, then the original custom upgrade firmware flashed in the last step of the root guide could include this. Then you'd have CWR immediately after finishing the permaroot guide.

actually,thats allready how it is ;) ive rooted mr2 twice and the mr1 upgrade allready has clockwork installed. :cool:

it is that easy,i have done this,and i have also removed the hboot and stock recovery from PG05IMG RUUs so that i could flash without destroying recovery and my eng bootloader.

thanks for putting it together and offering the download, it has many uses, as people will see. the biggest one allready having been mentioned,if something screws up your OS and recovery,its easy to get it back.

did you make up your own android info file? or what did you take it from?

again thanks for posting this,it was commonplace to install inc recoverys in hboot,and ive done it on the eris as well :cool:

Last edited:

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011

View attachment 661641

thanks for the download. has he put up any posts on it? or is it still being developed?

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
cool,thanx... ill go over there and look for it.

edot:
here if anyone else wants it

Last edited:

Absolute_Zero

Aug 28, 2010
DC
actually,thats allready how it is ;) ive rooted mr2 twice and the mr1 upgrade allready has clockwork installed. :cool:
Figures. It was too simple of a concept not to have been done but I didn't see anyone that had done it in Tbolt. I also hadn't seen anyone mention it was in the custom firmware either and I didn't have time to check this morning before I left for work. I guess I can pull that part out of the OP since you say it's already in there.
thanks for putting it together and offering the download, it has many uses, as people will see. the biggest one allready having been mentioned,if something screws up your OS and recovery,its easy to get it back.
Exactly my reasoning. I've seen to many people unaware of what to do in that situation :p
did you make up your own android info file? or what did you take it from?
I checked a few from the firmware and radios and they all looked the same so I just pulled one of those.
again thanks for posting this,it was commonplace to install inc recoverys in hboot,and ive done it on the eris as well :cool:
First HTC android phone I've owned but as I said, makes sense it would have been done a long time ago for other HTC phones.

Reactions: scotty1223

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
Figures. It was too simple of a concept not to have been done but I didn't see anyone that had done it in Tbolt. I also hadn't seen anyone mention it was in the custom firmware either and I didn't have time to check this morning before I left for work. I guess I can pull that part out of the OP since you say it's already in there.
id be willing to bet most people dont know,lol.they prolly just blindly downloAd rom manager and flash it. i checked to see if it was there,after seeing this as one of the last statements in the root post: Reboot your phone. You should now have full root permissions, an engineering kernel and recovery.

First HTC android phone I've owned but as I said, makes sense it would have been done a long time ago for other HTC phones.
its one of the things i really love about htc. i got used to installing recoverys,splash screens,etc. on my incredible,then started experimenting with img files on my eris,and discovered it was quite possible to simply move the images around :D kinda neat if you want to try a leaked ruu but dont want to wait for someone to post a CWM flashable roms. just pull out the hboot and stock recovery and flash away :)

it was quite common to manipulate things in hboot on the inc,but never mentioned in the eris forum,where most of the gurus frowned upon the s-off bootloader.kind of a shame... more bricked eris's prolly could have been revived after the clockwork fiasco if s-off was part of the common root process.

thanx for the android info info. when i make them up,it doesnt seem to matter which one i use. i dont think it even checks the text inside,i think you just need a text document titled "android info" lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Someone asked if it was possible to flash ClockworkMod Recovery through hboot instead of using RomManager. The answer...yes.

Primary reason something of this nature may be useful, as I see it, is if your recovery is damaged, your ROM is bootlooping, and you don't want to use or have access to ADB.
    In that case you would:
    1. remove your sdcard from your phone
    2. place the zip on the root of the sdcard (using an adapter or another phone) and make sure it is named the appropriate "PG05IMG.zip"
    3. place the sdcard back in your phone
    4. boot to bootloader as if you're installing a radio (power+VolDown from powerOff). It will then find the zip, recognize it as recovery and ask if you want to install (if it does not prompt then select "Bootloader" from hboot).
    5. Follow the instructions and after it finishes flashing pull your battery to power off (since the ROM will be bootlooping and hboot will constantly find the zip)
    6. Now remove the sdcard and delete the zip (via adapter or other phone) like you did to put it on the sdcard, then place the card back in the phone.
    7. Boot back to bootloader (Pwr+VolDwn)
    8. Select "Recovery" and use CWR to wipe data/cache, flash a new rom, restore, or whatever you wish.

Obviously not the only reason since some people prefer this method over RM but clearly in that case the whole sdcard switching mess is unnecessary. Just do steps 2 and 4 and reboot when prompted like you do with radios.
    Remember to remove any PGO5IMG.zip from your sdcard when done.

If this isn't useful to you, so be it. I just figured I'd throw this out there. Maybe it will help someone.

I will keep this updated as new versions come out for those few that find it useful.

**Credit to Koush and jcase**
    All I did was decide to throw them in a zip that was useful in some situations for panicking users.

Updates
    8/9/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (4.0.1.5) released 8/8/2011.
    8/30/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.0.1) released less than an hour ago. Added mirror.
    8/31/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.0.8)
    9/1/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.1.0)
    9/5/2011: Added latest official stable for mecha (5.0.2.1)
    2/1/2012: Added touch based CWR released this morning (5.8.0.2) *NOTE: Have not personally tested.

If any of these cause problems please let me know immediately.

Latest Official=5.0.2.1
    jcase modded=4.0.0.5

Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?9zt68cegl6qa3

MD5:
    66750618ecfba292c0b0e42c50c2c3ee - (CWR3.1.0.2)PG05IMG.zip
    1f390edad7e87310fe80b3264a57b14b - (CWR4.0.0.5)PG05IMG.zip
    6aac529cedcd2b22afac7391a4cb7efb - (CWR4.0.1.5)PG05IMG.zip
    bf25b2601441b9fffb7d68954c4ff3b5 - (CWR5.0.0.1)PG05IMG.zip
    dfe1ddf0c574977ee2c1828735ef2dc0 - (CWR5.0.0.8)PG05IMG.zip
    8474c8d607177b0144eec624dea687b7 - (CWR5.0.1.0)PG05IMG.zip
    c4c1d9c5e553fd7b151352551b931369 - (CWR5.0.2.1)PG05IMG.zip
    58557e1e355c795d748c2e6c66251f0a - (CWR5.8.0.2)PG05IMG.zip
    I added the new Touch-based version of ClockworkMod Recovery (5.8.0.2) that Koush released this morning to the OP. I threw it together so I have not tested it at all. Hopefully it works fine.
    Post a link to it and I'll make one when I get home. That way I can test again. Hopefully the modded one you speak of is fully stable and functional.

View attachment (CWR4.0.0.5)PG05IMG.zip

View attachment 661641
    In your case it would probably be easier to just use flash_image from terminal on the phone (i.e. flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img) assuming your current rom has it (if not just search and download it) or you have RM installed. The main case I saw this being useful was if you didn't have or want to use ADB and your ROM was unusable (e.g. bootlooping). I may add Jcase's modded recovery to the OP as well since it seems useful/wanted by some.
    There's a modded 4.0.0.5 CWM Recovery out there?? Where can I find the post for this ?