[Q] ES File Explorer set-up

Search This thread

breakshift

Jan 29, 2011
I've installed ES File Explorer on my Prime under the impression it will let me browse my shared files and folders on my laptop. So I go to the 'LAN Shares' page in ES and run a scan. My laptop shows up, but when I click on it I get the error 'Login failure. Try new user name/password?' Thing is, I don't have a password on my laptop... so how do I get around this?

Also, on Windows 7 how do I make sure I'm properly set-up for file sharing?

danam

May 18, 2010
I think you just right click on c or your doc folder and you see sharing options. ES is working great for me. I do believe you have to make the computer open to the world, so remember to stop sharing if it is a laptop you take away from home.

PuroKaibil

Sep 17, 2010
when on the main ES explorer screen...

1. swipe your finger to the left..
2. add a "server" in this case your PC IP address with user/passwd if needed
3. if any shares are available on your PC they will get listed right away...

hope it helps.

breakshift

Jan 29, 2011
when on the main ES explorer screen...

1. swipe your finger to the left..
2. add a "server" in this case your PC IP address with user/passwd if needed
3. if any shares are available on your PC they will get listed right away...

hope it helps.

Yes I've done that, but my problem is that I don't have a username or password on my laptop but ES keeps asking for it!

traxxus

Feb 26, 2010
Create a user on the laptop called share with the password share or something.
Then give the diesired folder access-rights to this user.

done

breakshift

Jan 29, 2011
Create a user on the laptop called share with the password share or something.
Then give the diesired folder access-rights to this user.

done

Well yes but I'd rather not have to put a password in everytime I boot windows. There must be a way to get this working without having to set up a user account in windows...?

BUYMECAR

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think you understand. Your username is literally your user name. It's your user account. If you don't have a password for your user account, you still need to enter the "login name" for your user account whether it be the default "Administrator" or "User" and leave the password field empty.

My user name in Windows is buymecar. My login password is ilovexda. You get where I'm going with this?

PuroKaibil

Sep 17, 2010
make sure you turn off password protection for shares in...

but you can always set a password, and set window to auto login buy running "control userpasswords2"
Right.... and make sure that "Anonymous" has rights to access the shares. That will be under your Local Policy settings if you want to go that deep.

breakshift

Jan 29, 2011
Okay got it working, thanks for the help guys. The problem was that all my media is on an external hard drive. In case anyone else has this problem and stumbles upon this thread, here's what I did:

1. Right clicked the external hdd and went to sharing tab. At the bottom it said that I had password protection on, so I followed the instructions there to disable it.

2. The 'Share' button in the sharing tab was greyed out so I had to go into advanced sharing and check 'Share this folder'.

3. I then went into the security tab of the properties pane and gave my user account all permissions. My user account is the only account and therefore has admin rights, so I don't know why I had to do this.

4. I then created a new username called 'everyone', and gave it all permissions.

5. Clicked okay and close, and I could then access it via ES on my prime.

The reason I didn't mention the hdd in the OP is because at that point I couldn't access the laptop at all. Once I did the above everything worked. I think having password protection on was preventing me from getting into my laptop at all, as I don't have any passwords in windows.

Thanks for the help! I now have access to all my media on my prime. Good times.

EDIT. Turns out the username 'everyone' doesn't need all permissions. I didn't like the idea of 'everyone' having full control over my hdd so I changed the permissions to just allow reading and writing, no modifying etc. Still works.

Last edited:

breakshift

Jan 29, 2011
What kind of data transfer rates are normal for transfer between two wireless devices? Wireless G that is. Both devices are very close to the router. I should be able to stream 720p video comfortably right? But it doesn't seem to keep up.

Is there a way of testing this speed?

nattylite

Apr 1, 2011
College Station
streaming 720p on prime tablet over wifi G

Okay got it working, thanks for the help guys. The problem was that all my media is on an external hard drive. In case anyone else has this problem and stumbles upon this thread, here's what I did:

Glad you figured it out. I just saw this and was just about to walk you through it

What kind of data transfer rates are normal for transfer between two wireless devices? Wireless G that is. Both devices are very close to the router. I should be able to stream 720p video comfortably right? But it doesn't seem to keep up.

There is currently no tablet app that I know of that test speed (wifi analyzers scan wifi signal strength) but speedtest app can test you internet connection. For local speed, you can transfer a big file and look at the transfer rate. Ideally, the between 1-2 meters away for the router is the best.

"When testing throughput do it ~1 meter from the AP and test between a wireless client and a wired client. Doing it far away/behind walls/downstairs/etc will have reduced rates and is a different problem to solve. Being extremely close can lower performance by overloading the receiver" -dd-wrt.com

Wireless G is 54 Mbits/s but real world test is ~22 Mbits/s down and ~2.5 Mbit/s....720p streams at 2.5 Mbit/s (for VC-1 and lower formats) up to 5Mbit/s (for H.264 and better quality formats) so it depends on a lot of things. Short answer yes. BUT if you source is on wifi too rather than LAN then there is a high chance that it won't be smooth. Also depending on whether you are the only one connected, the router brand, how good your source is, etc. 720p on 802.11g is hit and miss (mostly miss) so consider a wireless N 300M/bits router

All this can be found on google (feel free to correct me) and please click THANKS if this helped you. :D

Reactions: breakshift

breakshift

Jan 29, 2011
That makes a lot of sense. The file I've been using is a high quality .mkv file, so that's probably the issue.

robtheslob

Feb 7, 2009
google is great, here are some good resources for a beginner:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-windows-7-with-the-shared-folder-wizard/3180
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/7412-guest-account-turn-off.html

If you do use a password ES has problems with non alphanumeric characters sometimes.

ES gives access to network shares by buffering the files via an internal webserver, this means it significantly reduces performance. If you want to watch HD mkv's I would recommend using CifsManager:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1442928&highlight=cifsmanager
I use it with MX player or Dice and have no issues watching 1080 mkv movies over wireless g if I'm not too far from the access point.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

As a note "not to far" is roughly upto about 35 feet for G or 50 for N for me with 1080.
Even if you move to wireless N, ES file explorer will not perform as well as CifsManager with HD videos.

opentoe

Dec 5, 2011
Never share your OS drive. Just share a folder(s) that are on your OS drive. Give anonymous access to these particular folders, so when any client that looks for shared folders they will see these folders there. Shouldn't have to input any log in information at all.

whitcarter

May 16, 2012
breakshift, I am trying also to access my external hdd on my Prime. I followed your steps, but still cannot determine the correct username and password combination. What did you end up using?

breakshift

Jan 29, 2011
Well since I did what I described in that post, it all works. Are you able to connect to the computer at all? Or is it just when you try to go into the HDD it refuses you?

ES doesn't ask for a username or password at all for me anymore. Does it prompt you for that info? If so, do you have a password set up on your user account on your computer?

cloud1111

Jul 29, 2011
When I try to watch videos using es file explorer on mg galaxy s2, sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesn't. If I restart my desktop pc, it will work for about half an hour then fail to login again.

This is what I'm always getting, https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B90aBBkpJZ8tS3NINU9fbDBDUzA/edit would appreciate it someone can help.

• I'm using windows 7 pro 64bit
  • Everyone else in my family can stream the shared files with their windows laptop.
  • After restarting my computer(the pc with the shared files), my brother and I can stream for about 30 minutes, then I have to restart my pc again.

I have a password on my pc, but even when I put it in the edit server options it still doesn't work. I'm thinking it may be a firewall or router setting?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Right clicked the external hdd and went to sharing tab. At the bottom it said that I had password protection on, so I followed the instructions there to disable it.

2. The 'Share' button in the sharing tab was greyed out so I had to go into advanced sharing and check 'Share this folder'.

3. I then went into the security tab of the properties pane and gave my user account all permissions. My user account is the only account and therefore has admin rights, so I don't know why I had to do this.

4. I then created a new username called 'everyone', and gave it all permissions.

5. Clicked okay and close, and I could then access it via ES on my prime.

The reason I didn't mention the hdd in the OP is because at that point I couldn't access the laptop at all. Once I did the above everything worked. I think having password protection on was preventing me from getting into my laptop at all, as I don't have any passwords in windows.

Thanks for the help! I now have access to all my media on my prime. Good times.

EDIT. Turns out the username 'everyone' doesn't need all permissions. I didn't like the idea of 'everyone' having full control over my hdd so I changed the permissions to just allow reading and writing, no modifying etc. Still works.
    streaming 720p on prime tablet over wifi G

Glad you figured it out. I just saw this and was just about to walk you through it

There is currently no tablet app that I know of that test speed (wifi analyzers scan wifi signal strength) but speedtest app can test you internet connection. For local speed, you can transfer a big file and look at the transfer rate. Ideally, the between 1-2 meters away for the router is the best.

"When testing throughput do it ~1 meter from the AP and test between a wireless client and a wired client. Doing it far away/behind walls/downstairs/etc will have reduced rates and is a different problem to solve. Being extremely close can lower performance by overloading the receiver" -dd-wrt.com

Wireless G is 54 Mbits/s but real world test is ~22 Mbits/s down and ~2.5 Mbit/s....720p streams at 2.5 Mbit/s (for VC-1 and lower formats) up to 5Mbit/s (for H.264 and better quality formats) so it depends on a lot of things. Short answer yes. BUT if you source is on wifi too rather than LAN then there is a high chance that it won't be smooth. Also depending on whether you are the only one connected, the router brand, how good your source is, etc. 720p on 802.11g is hit and miss (mostly miss) so consider a wireless N 300M/bits router

All this can be found on google (feel free to correct me) and please click THANKS if this helped you. :D