TWRP 3.2.3-1 for Pixel Devices

Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
TLDR: It's here and it may eat your data, and you will lose SuperSU root if currently installed. READ the install instructions carefully!

Pixel XL

Pixel

DO NOT RESTORE DATA FROM alpha builds of TWRP using RC1. You will probably lose all data including internal storage. If you need to restore a data backup from an alpha build, reinstall the alpha and restore using the alpha and make a new backup using RC1.

Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

File Based Encryption (FBE) can be a bit tricky. If a restore doesn't work correctly, it can trigger an automatic wipe of your data. Sometimes TWRP will fail to prompt you to enter your password or otherwise fail to set up decrypt properly. If this happens, reboot TWRP. It seems to be some kind of timing issue and I haven't had time to track it down yet.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted with SuperSU, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, grab the very latest SuperSU released on 2015-11-15 or later and install SuperSU.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

NOTE about 3.2.1-0: This version will decrypt Android 8.1, however the new image is built in Android 8.1 and may not be compatible with SuperSU and/or Magisk until they update their stuff. I have not tested. Good luck.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set

Last edited:

BlackHoleSlam

Nov 25, 2010
Houston
Awesome. I might have to wait a bit to install but glad to see the Pixel getting twrp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I just installed the IMG w/out issue.
I can't find the zip in TWRP file manager to flash though.
Everything looks encrypted. :confused:

EDIT: It went through on the 4th try of flashing the IMG, now I can see my /sdcard and install the zip.
But somehow this killed my OS.
Just flashed the flash-all.bat after removing -w so it doesn't wipe.
Now I'll try TWRP install again.

EDIT 2: Okay, after restoring to stock, the TWRP install went fine.
Maybe it didn't like my elementalx kernel or the existing root. The OP did mention something about root conflicts, I guess it may prevent TWRP installs too? But now I have OS *and* TWRP.

And I'm getting "Unspecified Error" when trying to copy my EFS backup from /sdcard/twrp/backup to my local computer. I am able to copy other non-TWRP files though.

Does a full backup on Pixel include System Image and Vendor Image? I don't recall seeing these on other devices.
Or do I just back up boot, system and data like usual?

***Hey ya'll, don't forget to back up EFS at least once and copy it to your computers!

Last edited:

beepFTW

Feb 23, 2011
Would the flashable SuperSU v2.78 SR3 zip work?

Looked it up and because of conflicting init binaries between TWRP and the current root method, it just wouldn't work.

Last edited:

jcadduono

Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2014
Thunder Bay
adduono.com
While we're still on or near the first page of the thread, I'd like to clarify the whole EFS backup thing.

It's completely unnecessary. You don't need to do it. But the option is there (so no one asks where it went!) ;)

Both the modemst1 and modemst2 partitions are merely a caching area for your modem firmware. They do not contain sensitive data like IMEI, or anything important. You can wipe them and they will be regenerated from scratch! Have no fear, your IMEI cannot be destroyed through means of bad flashes!

The issue with these partitions however is that should they ever become corrupt, the modem firmware will panic and fail to load - this is why you see your IMEI missing in such a case. The modem firmware simply refused to load due to encountering corrupt data. By clearing your modemst partitions (writing zeros to them), your modem firmware would happily load and regenerate the partitions, bringing back full call support & a visible IMEI.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay, I have TWRP + OS working fine after restoring to stock (getting rid of kernel + root).
Now to just wait for custom ROM's to drop. Thanks guys.

The ability to restore EFS was pretty important on some older phones.

Reactions: zaksimmermon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TLDR: It's here and it may eat your data, and you will lose SuperSU root if currently installed. READ the install instructions carefully!

Pixel XL

Pixel

DO NOT RESTORE DATA FROM alpha builds of TWRP using RC1. You will probably lose all data including internal storage. If you need to restore a data backup from an alpha build, reinstall the alpha and restore using the alpha and make a new backup using RC1.

Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

File Based Encryption (FBE) can be a bit tricky. If a restore doesn't work correctly, it can trigger an automatic wipe of your data. Sometimes TWRP will fail to prompt you to enter your password or otherwise fail to set up decrypt properly. If this happens, reboot TWRP. It seems to be some kind of timing issue and I haven't had time to track it down yet.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted with SuperSU, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, grab the very latest SuperSU released on 2015-11-15 or later and install SuperSU.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

NOTE about 3.2.1-0: This version will decrypt Android 8.1, however the new image is built in Android 8.1 and may not be compatible with SuperSU and/or Magisk until they update their stuff. I have not tested. Good luck.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
    3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
    3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set
    How to install SuperSU SR5 on TWRP RC1: In TWRP tap on Advanced -> File Manager and scroll to and select the fstab.marlin or fstab.sailfish file and then delete it.
    How to install SuperSU SR5 on TWRP RC1: In TWRP tap on Advanced -> File Manager and scroll to and select the fstab.marlin or fstab.sailfish file and then delete it.
    SuperSU v2.79-SR1 was just released.

It works for me on my Pixel XL running 7.1 with TWRP RC1, but I have not updated my device to 7.1.1 yet. I suggest you try again and let me know.

Note that I don't really follow this thread, so either specifically mention me ( @Chainfire ) or post your results in the SuperSU BETA thread ( http://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133 ).