[FIX] Google Camera HDR+ on Nougat ROMs

Search This thread

refi64

Nov 25, 2013
refi64.com
I am not responsible for exploding devices!! Nothing should go wrong, as this doesn't touch anything super-sensitive, but just in case...

Tested on Pure Nexus w/ Pure Nexus dynamic gapps. This should also work with Open GApps. (And I guess Fake Nexus, though I think the camera works well out-of-the-box on that one...?)

On (most?) current Nexus 5 Nougat ROMs, attempting to take a photo via Google Camera with HDR+ will just take a regular photo. (The included stock camera doesn't even have an HDR+ option!) The "fix" is to downgrade to an older version (2.8) of Google Camera.

Problem is, that's kind of annoying. In addition, the Play Store will keep trying to update it to the newest version unless you re-sign. Not good!

So I made a flashable zip! Just pop it onto your SD card, flash in TWRP, and the proper Google Camera will be installed, signed with a custom key to prevent the Play Store from updating it.

Enjoy! ;)

NOTE: This does not fix the video recording issues, only the HDR+ not working. You still need to use stock camera for videos.

Changelog
  • 11/30/2016 - Fix an extraction failure when the path to the zip has spaces, and fix the progress bar.
  • 11/29/2016 - Fix stupid zip signing mistake.
  • 11/28/2016 - Initial version.

Attachments

• n5_nougat_gcam_fix.zip
    13.6 MB · Views: 15,670
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2013
Yeah it's not actually a fix for the non working hdr+, it's just another workaround. But great for the people who need it! I just wouldn't call it fix for Google camera on nougar.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

amarendar94

Jun 28, 2011
Error : unable to extract zip (on TWRP 3.0.2)

Tried to install on aosp 7.1 ROM...and I want to add one more thing that Im not able to find google camera in play store on this ROM.

Thanks for the apk in the zip...I was able to install it manually.

Last edited:

refi64

Nov 25, 2013
refi64.com
Error : unable to extract zip (on TWRP 3.0.2)

Tried to install on aosp 7.1 ROM...and I want to add one more thing that Im not able to find google camera in play store on this ROM.

Thanks for the apk in the zip...I was able to install it manually.

Sorry about that! I just updated the zip file again. I had made a mistake with regards to the way it was signed.

It should work now. If it doesn't, could you hit Copy Log inside the Advanced section of TWRP and then upload
Code:
/sdcard/recovery.log
here?

Mairo

Feb 28, 2013
I uninstalled v4 . then flashed 3.2 and unchecked google camera automatic update from playstore ( right up corner) . why to downgrade to v2.8 if v3.2 also work?

refi64

Nov 25, 2013
refi64.com
I uninstalled v4 . then flashed 3.2 and unchecked google camera automatic update from playstore ( right up corner) . why to downgrade to v2.8 if v3.2 also work?

Huh...on my device, 3.2 HDR+ still didn't work.

Also, for me, I already have auto-update off, but I usually just like to click "UPDATE ALL" without the camera updating, too.

amarendar94

Jun 28, 2011
Sorry about that! I just updated the zip file again. I had made a mistake with regards to the way it was signed.

It should work now. If it doesn't, could you hit Copy Log inside the Advanced section of TWRP and then upload here?

I think u should test the zip on your phone b4 posting here..

Anyways here is the log u asked for

Attachments

• recovery.log
    22 KB · Views: 53

Mairo

Feb 28, 2013
Huh...on my device, 3.2 HDR+ still didn't work.

Also, for me, I already have auto-update off, but I usually just like to click "UPDATE ALL" without the camera updating, too.

Ok. I noticed now that video don' t work . green flicker if i look after recording. But hdr works great.
Anyway video have been always crap in our device, so i don´t use it.

Last edited:

colida

Jul 22, 2006
Does not work on my Nexus 5 ABCrom_nexus_hammerhead-7.0-20161129.zip
As soon as I enable HDR+, the app force closes.
Could it be a conflict with the already installed camera?

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi. Google Camera 3.2 HDR is working, but the video is shaking. 4.2 doesn't even support HDR on Nexus 5. GC 2.7.008 (or 2.7.010, but cannot install it for some reason) is the best option to go with.
    So if anybody can re-sign to not update, or fix 2.7.010, that would be nice.
    Thanks!

Video seems fine here with 3.2, which is also the last version the Play Store served to the N5.

Since the OP seems MIA, here's my deflated libs version of gcam3 re-signed to not update, at least until Open GApps and I figure out if there's a better way to limit this and build it in. :good:

https://basketbuild.com/filedl/devs?dev=osm0sis&dl=osm0sis/osmods/n5_nougat_gcam3_fix-signed.zip

Edit: BasketBuild seems to have died again, and it's too large for xda because of the deflated libs.. :rolleyes:

Luckily someone has it mirrored here: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545580039
    I am not responsible for exploding devices!! Nothing should go wrong, as this doesn't touch anything super-sensitive, but just in case...

Tested on Pure Nexus w/ Pure Nexus dynamic gapps. This should also work with Open GApps. (And I guess Fake Nexus, though I think the camera works well out-of-the-box on that one...?)

On (most?) current Nexus 5 Nougat ROMs, attempting to take a photo via Google Camera with HDR+ will just take a regular photo. (The included stock camera doesn't even have an HDR+ option!) The "fix" is to downgrade to an older version (2.8) of Google Camera.

Problem is, that's kind of annoying. In addition, the Play Store will keep trying to update it to the newest version unless you re-sign. Not good!

So I made a flashable zip! Just pop it onto your SD card, flash in TWRP, and the proper Google Camera will be installed, signed with a custom key to prevent the Play Store from updating it.

Enjoy! ;)

NOTE: This does not fix the video recording issues, only the HDR+ not working. You still need to use stock camera for videos.

Changelog
    • 11/30/2016 - Fix an extraction failure when the path to the zip has spaces, and fix the progress bar.
    • 11/29/2016 - Fix stupid zip signing mistake.
    • 11/28/2016 - Initial version.
    I resigned 3.2.045 apk so it's not showing in play store.
    It can be installed without flashing in twrp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzjPCTvT_zbxTnVMSW1fVi1wWm8/
    This is the resigned 3.2.045 apk from @kicksilver but with the modern (round app icon) for those who are interested !
    Link : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817906626617958303
    All credit to @kicksilver
    The link to basketbuild seems to be down. Any other mirrors?

Working fine now.

If the OP @refi64 wants to rehost my updated zip in the OP attachments with the others, he can go ahead and add to the changelog with credit to @gobonja for the re-signed gcam3 APK, and myself for deflating/storing and zipaligning the libs for proper Nougat system partition installation/execution of the APK. :)