[MOD]data2ext for CM7

Search This thread

daniel60104

Jul 28, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey guys!

Just thought this would be handy for anybody with higher-class SD cards.

Keep in mind that I did NOT create the data2ext script, and BlaY0 from Legend forum was the one who came up with it in his roms, so kudos to him for making it :)

NOTE: a2ext and data2ext, choose ONE. You cannot run them together.

What is data2ext?
Similar to a2ext, where data/app were stored inside your ext partition of the SD card, data2ext stores the whole /data inside your ext partition.

What does that mean?
That means your internal storage will barely be used, and because nowadays higher-class SD cards runs faster than your internal memory, your phone will be able to crank out some insane benchmarks.

Requirements?
1. A good sd card with ext2/ext3 partition. suggested with at least 512MB of it (but not over 2GB, otherwise trouble will arise)
2. For now I think this will only work on the CM7 nightlies. I'll make one for CM6 if it is ever needed.

Instructions?
1. Flash it
2. Make your ext2 block size 4kb (done so by doing adb shell mke2fs -m0 -b4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2)
3. Go to your terminal emulator/adb shell to type data2ext --enable
4. Reboot
5. Wait some time. Files will be copied over, so the reboot will be slow.
6. Go check your storage and see how much you got :p

Since I was unable to run quadrant from cm7, here's the bench results done w/ 3rdsense:
2eobdiq.png
992npz.png

I bare no responsibility for your phone breaking if you do decide to do this and something went wrong!

Enjoy.

Attachments

• data2ext_for_CM.zip
    152.4 KB · Views: 2,591
Last edited:

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Ha, nice. I was waiting for something like this. Now I have a new ROM, new kernel, and new extension to play with. Gonna be a fun night. Thanks ^_^

Linnel

Jul 30, 2010
o_O I must say, this was the thing I was waiting for the first time I rooted my phone so long ago.

I thank you good sir, assuming this works

JDV28

Aug 1, 2010
Chicago
You type it? you open terminal emulator and type it in?

haha alright didnt know if it would be same command. Im very tired, dont laugh :)

didnt work in terminal emu. "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 is apparently in use by the system, will not make a filesystem here!"

also: just confirming that a wipe from recov wont mess with the data on our SD's right?

Last edited:

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
No it won't wipe SD data, you could try just a normal reboot, make sure nothing's using it. You could also go into recovery and enable data2ext from adb.

JDV28

Aug 1, 2010
Chicago
No it won't wipe SD data, you could try just a normal reboot, make sure nothing's using it. You could also go into recovery and enable data2ext from adb.

thanks but that doesnt help me. that error prevents me from doing anything with this. also, i said i dont want to set up adb. never use it and dont have time now.
also, obviously its being used by having a2sd?

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Yes a2sd is the reason, disable it, enable data2ext and you'll still have a2sd since apps are stored in /data, which will be on your sdcard.

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Should just be a2sd --disable or a2ext --disable, whichever you're using

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Then you're going to have to reflash your rom to disable a2sd

Reactions: JDV28

JDV28

Aug 1, 2010
Chicago

alright, thanks for all of your help with this

edit: it worked

edit2: nevermind, didnt work. the data2ext part worked, but when i rebooted and flash dtapps2sd, wouldnt go past splash... no data2ext for me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys!

Just thought this would be handy for anybody with higher-class SD cards.

Keep in mind that I did NOT create the data2ext script, and BlaY0 from Legend forum was the one who came up with it in his roms, so kudos to him for making it :)

NOTE: a2ext and data2ext, choose ONE. You cannot run them together.

What is data2ext?
    Similar to a2ext, where data/app were stored inside your ext partition of the SD card, data2ext stores the whole /data inside your ext partition.

What does that mean?
    That means your internal storage will barely be used, and because nowadays higher-class SD cards runs faster than your internal memory, your phone will be able to crank out some insane benchmarks.

Requirements?
    1. A good sd card with ext2/ext3 partition. suggested with at least 512MB of it (but not over 2GB, otherwise trouble will arise)
    2. For now I think this will only work on the CM7 nightlies. I'll make one for CM6 if it is ever needed.

Instructions?
    1. Flash it
    2. Make your ext2 block size 4kb (done so by doing adb shell mke2fs -m0 -b4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2)
    3. Go to your terminal emulator/adb shell to type data2ext --enable
    4. Reboot
    5. Wait some time. Files will be copied over, so the reboot will be slow.
    6. Go check your storage and see how much you got :p

Since I was unable to run quadrant from cm7, here's the bench results done w/ 3rdsense:
    2eobdiq.png
    992npz.png

I bare no responsibility for your phone breaking if you do decide to do this and something went wrong!

Enjoy.
    You type it? you open terminal emulator and type it in?

Can I do this without moving my apps to internal storage? I have about 40 megs left, I don't think all of my apps will fit. I'm about to flash the latest nightly#9, so can I just flash it over my app2ext addon and flash this data2ext one instead without moving apps? And can you please give the same instructions but for terminal emu not adb. My adb is screwed gives me (not found and /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 is apparently in use by the system; will not make a filesystem here!)errors all the time, and in terminal those commands didn't work.

I solved this problem by first typing
    Code:
    adb shell umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    then
    Code:
    adb shell mke2fs -m0 -b4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    from personal experience using both "data2ext" and "Apps2sd" with the stock Sd card. You might be better off with the Apps2sd. The "Data2ext" had lag and random force closes. That is just my personal experience though.