DVD rip file types...

Search This thread

simcarloc

Aug 26, 2008
I'm trying out dvdfab at the moment and was wandering if someone could provide me with a brief summary of the best types of file to convert the DVD to - pros and cons.

Also, why is coreplayer usually recommended over WMP to play movies on the Diamond?

Thanks in advance,

S.

R

rhedgehog

coreplayer:More formats supported, depending on the version, better acceleration support.

it's all down to personal preference really.
I tend to rip my dvds to 640*x resolution so that it is as full screen as possible, but due to the small screen, i keep the bit rate down as you really can't notice the difference most of the time. however, on my athena, i ended up increasing the video bit rate a little due to the big screen!

i tend to aim for around 750kbps bitrate for video using either divx or xvid, and 128kbps mp3 for the audio. tends to give a file size of around 512MB which allows 7 or 8 on the 4GB storage, depending on the exact file size, which is different every time.....

others may have other preferences of course....there's bound to be other threads about this in practically every forum here, so have a good look around, try a few people suggestions and pick your favourite.
Some people will go for quality every time and end up with higher file sizes, some people like me will happily sacrifice a little quality (which is barely noticeable if done right) and go for having more films available!

hyellow

Oct 27, 2006
I usualy encode movies at 320x240 with a bitrate around 700kbs, usig xvid or divx and 128kbs sound. It gives great quality, even though the resolution is only 320x240, but it will stretch automaticaly and you'll hardly notice any loss of quality because the size of the screen is not too big. it's like you would play a regular divx movie (576x????) on your desktop monitor at a much higher resolution. You won't see much loss of quality. And @ 320x240, the file size will be around 300 to 400 mb.

Neo XL

Feb 24, 2006
Kassel
OPPO Reno 10x Zoom
I usualy encode movies at 320x240 with a bitrate around 700kbs, usig xvid or divx and 128kbs sound. It gives great quality, even though the resolution is only 320x240, but it will stretch automaticaly and you'll hardly notice any loss of quality because the size of the screen is not too big. it's like you would play a regular divx movie (576x????) on your desktop monitor at a much higher resolution. You won't see much loss of quality. And @ 320x240, the file size will be around 300 to 400 mb.

I think, it´s a big difference between the resolutions. Yes, a movie 640-480 takes much space, but it´s so sharp, that it makes much more fun. I ripped some concerts to my diamond, and one of them in 320*240...it looks not really great.

simcarloc

Aug 26, 2008
Thank you all for your replies. Like you say, i'll have to play around with settings myself, but its nice to have a starting point through other's experiences.

I'm guessing that watching an average dvd movie will totally drain the battery? lol...

kaush

Feb 25, 2008
Spb Mobile DVD

Is great for converting most types of video.
Very simple to use - plus a great feature is that if the movie is in wide screen format, ie - 16:9 , you can crop it and stretch it while restraining the proportions so none of the screen space is wasted.
You can adjust the quality , and you can preview the final quality of the video before you convert it , you can finalise the file size according to the quality you want.
I tried the rest , and stuck with this. :)

Use core player , you can play anything with it , even FLV files which you can download/rip off youtube.
You can use the new free version of real player for that ;)

Ripping movies to 640*480 does offer greater qauality,but its takes too much space, since we are stuck with a 4Gigs, 320*240 is more than adequate.
IT doesnt make much of a difference, converted video anyway has lossy quality. :cool: