Returning to Stock

Search This thread

Rotellian

Oct 1, 2008
Ive had enough of running buggy, battery hungry roms and would like to return my Nexus S to stock. The last time I was on stock was 2.3.6 I believe. If I flash via CWM to the official 4.0.3 in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1445570 will I then be able receive OTA updates, ie to 4.1.2? (obviously Ill be rooted again, but im not fussed)

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Ive had enough of running buggy, battery hungry roms and would like to return my Nexus S to stock. The last time I was on stock was 2.3.6 I believe. If I flash via CWM to the official 4.0.3 in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1445570 will I then be able receive OTA updates, ie to 4.1.2? (obviously Ill be rooted again, but im not fussed)

Flash the stock images from Google and 4.1.2 instead.
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#sojujzo54k

Read the instructions, you need to use fastboot for these.

aladin6

Mar 7, 2009
Redmi Note 10 Pro

Buggy? Battery hungry :confused:? You were in what ROM? All custom ROMs at almost 100% bugs free(especially CM10 and CM10/AOKP based). Weird ...

Rotellian

Oct 1, 2008
Dont have the time to setup the computer for Fastboot, couldnt get it working with Win7 last time out either.

Rotellian

Oct 1, 2008
Buggy? Battery hungry :confused:? You were in what ROM? All custom ROMs at almost 100% bugs free(especially CM10 and CM10/AOKP based). Weird ...

Tried all sorts, Oxygen, NSCollab, early ICS roms (awful), others i cant remember. Best combo i had was stock 2.3.6/7 with a Kernel i think. I found that invariably they become less stable the longer you have them installed. Of course if you change rom a lot you'll never notice.

Last edited:

madd0g

May 8, 2010
I'm with you, running stock 4.1.2 since it came out, only with custom kernel for BLN, highbigmem and voodoo sound and don't regret it a bit. A lot of free time and no need to update all the time;P

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Dont have the time to setup the computer for Fastboot, couldnt get it working with Win7 last time out either.

How did you root and unlock your phone then? Only way to do it needs an actual working connection with fasboot/adb. Even the 1 click crap uses that. :p

I guess nothing stops you from flashing 4.0.3 then going the upgrade route, but I don't see that as a very efficient nor a clean way to do it. :)

aladin6

Mar 7, 2009
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I'm with you, running stock 4.1.2 since it came out, only with custom kernel for BLN, highbigmem and voodoo sound and don't regret it a bit. A lot of free time and no need to update all the time;P

OMG, how can you stay with ONE ROM more than one week :D. No seriously, there is 2 ROMs that they're perfectly stable and full of features: CM10 and ParanaoidAndroid. I no longer look to other ROMs. And ParanoidAndroid is in my device more than 2 weeks :D

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
OMG, how can you stay with ONE ROM more than one week :D. No seriously, there is 2 ROMs that they're perfectly stable and full of features: CM10 and ParanaoidAndroid. I no longer look to other ROMs. And ParanoidAndroid is in my device more than 2 weeks :D

It would be hard to call CM10 something related to stable (same for any CM10 base ROM). Even they don't call it that. That's why the nightly tag is for. ;)

Reactions: donnieace

Rotellian

Oct 1, 2008
How did you root and unlock your phone then? Only way to do it needs an actual working connection with fasboot/adb. Even the 1 click crap uses that. :p

I guess nothing stops you from flashing 4.0.3 then going the upgrade route, but I don't see that as a very efficient nor a clean way to do it. :)

Managed to get ADB working on my old XP laptop, which i no longer have! :p Just tried to install it, and again the driver problem rears its ugly head. Just wont recognise the inf file! Like I said, dont really have the time, guess ill just have to flash to 4.0.3 and wait for the OTA :( Dont have the time to muck about trying to get the drivers working. Might give it one last bash with the SDK

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Other than "stable" "nightly" "RC" WORDS, CM10 is completely STABLE(at 99%). And i know what "stable" word means. Source: own experience ;).

You'll see a lot of people still have complaints regarding functions that get broken with each version, only to come back working after the next one. It's silly to assume CM team doesn't know **** about development and simply tag "nightly", "RC" and "stable" for the sake of it. Please don't bring up made up stability percentages into the lot.

You can glance at the nightly changelogs yourself to see NPEs getting corrected in relatively core apps nearly every week. Not just for crespo too, but regarding CM10 as a whole.

I'll give you that though, on a day to day basis, the rom is very usable. But good luck getting a 1000 hours uptime without the thing becoming sluggish.

Reactions: flloppyn

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Managed to get ADB working on my old XP laptop, which i no longer have! :p Just tried to install it, and again the driver problem rears its ugly head. Just wont recognise the inf file! Like I said, dont really have the time, guess ill just have to flash to 4.0.3 and wait for the OTA :( Dont have the time to muck about trying to get the drivers working. Might give it one last bash with the SDK

Just get the PDAnet Android drivers.

unnamed.aj.

Oct 15, 2012
lol

lol, really you want to go back to stock?
wats buggy now?
stable roms of ics,gb came in... :)

sergiu_s

Jan 21, 2012

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Was just going to do that, but think ive got it working now. Im guessing a full install from google's image will result in a compeltely stock phone including bootloader?
If you use all commands from the flash-all.sh script, yes. No need to flash the bootloader and radio if you already have the latest version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It would be hard to call CM10 something related to stable (same for any CM10 base ROM). Even they don't call it that. That's why the nightly tag is for. ;)
    Other than "stable" "nightly" "RC" WORDS, CM10 is completely STABLE(at 99%). And i know what "stable" word means. Source: own experience ;).

You'll see a lot of people still have complaints regarding functions that get broken with each version, only to come back working after the next one. It's silly to assume CM team doesn't know **** about development and simply tag "nightly", "RC" and "stable" for the sake of it. Please don't bring up made up stability percentages into the lot.

You can glance at the nightly changelogs yourself to see NPEs getting corrected in relatively core apps nearly every week. Not just for crespo too, but regarding CM10 as a whole.

I'll give you that though, on a day to day basis, the rom is very usable. But good luck getting a 1000 hours uptime without the thing becoming sluggish.
    For me I found the best combo and its CM10 + marmite kernel, no reboots, no lags, everything works fine, I've flashed a lot of roms and now i'm tired flashing roms and updates. Next time I will flash a rom it will be the CM10 M3 + marmite kernel and stay with it till M4.

Was thinking about going back to stock, too, but custom roms has features that makes the life easier, like profiles, skip tracks with volume buttons, move cursor with the volume buttons etc.