Search This thread
Feb 23, 2013
This is my first thread as a user, I have been a lurker for very long time. I have decent understanding of flashing roms on HTC one X and HP touchpad, everything learned from XDA. But I have been facing this weird issue on Unlocked Rogers Galaxy note 2.

My galaxy note 2 was all stock and few days ago when I picked it up while it was charging, phone was hanging on main screen. I simply turned off and since then its stuck in bootloop. I am only getting samsung logo screen. So far everything I have tried, it hasnt resolved the issue.

I have flashed rogers stock 4.1.2 rom from samsung-updates using ODIN, but still its stuck in bootloop. I have tried multiple recoveries Stock, Clockwork and TWRP, phone mostly reboots when I try to do a factory reset. even when I am able to complete factory reset, nothing changes. All recoveries give me errors in line of unable to mount /cache and unable to mount /data.

Right now I have flashed TWRP and it shows unable to mount /cache, and it reboots when I try to do a factory reset.

These are the exact errors
E: unable to mount "cache"
E: can't mount '/cache/recovery/command'
E: can't open '/cache/recovery/command'
E: can't mount '/cache/recovery/log'
E: can't open '/cache/recovery/log'
E: can't mount '/cache/recovery/last_log'
E: can't open '/cache/recovery/last_log'
E: can't mount '/cache/recover/last_install'
E: can't open '/cache/recover/last_install'
Please help.

If nothing else works, can anyone show me a way to hard brick? So I can send in for warranty, coz download mode shows the binary counter?

Thanks

Last edited:

pterry30

Dec 10, 2010
Plattsville
Hi, sounds like you either have a corrupted partition on your phone or a hardware issue. I have had lots of bootloops in the past and was always been able to fix it with flashing stock software with odin. You probily going to send it in for warranrt repair.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using XDA Premium HD app

Feb 23, 2013
Hi, sounds like you either have a corrupted partition on your phone or a hardware issue. I have had lots of bootloops in the past and was always been able to fix it with flashing stock software with odin. You probily going to send it in for warranrt repair.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using XDA Premium HD app

Is there any fix for corrupted partition on note 2? I have seen threads regarding s3 but not note2.

Also if I flash Mr robinsons rom from here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2004650
it should reset the flash counter to 0, So I can send it in for repair.

pterry30

Dec 10, 2010
Plattsville
I believe to fix a bad partition you need the pit file. I think it is in the stock firmware. I have never had a issue where I could not do a factory wipe/reset. You need triangle away app from the play to reset counter. You need to be on stock software, stock recovery, stock kernel but be rooted to use triangle away

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Your issue is most likely hardware related because you were on stock software when you started having problems and you had not flashed any others software and you flashed stock software through odin and did not fix your problems

Reactions: Froid

twanskys204

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 5, 2012
winnipeg
I'd say try flashing a new kernel, and doing a factory reset
Edit...I re read op, and I think pit file also...
Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

Last edited:

cdshepherd

May 16, 2011
If that doesn't work I would definitely try flashing the pit file with the stock firmware in Odin.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 23, 2013
If that doesn't work I would definitely try flashing the pit file with the stock firmware in Odin.

sorry for the late reply, had to leave country for few weeks. So I tried to flash stock rom (redownloaded 4.1.1 from samfirmware) again through ODIN, and its still stuck in bootloop. when I boot into stock recovery after flashing stock rom, I get "E:failed to verify whole file signature, E:signature verification failed."

Feb 23, 2013
Are you putting it in the pit slot in odin?

yes, here's a screenshot.
30ayszl.jpg

cloudraker

Dec 2, 2011
Lafayette, In
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I know you are having bootloop issues and im not an expert by any means. However, should repartition be checked? I know typically under odin you never want that box checked but maybe in this instance you do.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: twanskys204
Feb 23, 2013
I know you are having bootloop issues and im not an expert by any means. However, should repartition be checked? I know typically under odin you never want that box checked but maybe in this instance you do.

well I am trying to repartition it by using pit file, as I think the errors in CWM are indicating that partition is messed up.

riassan

Jan 6, 2008
Pennsylvania
Ok so you have boot loops check it out,

here is list of what to grab odin version here
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33854395&postcount=2

follow those direction just insert your stock instead of cf auto root tar md5
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done

go to next post and grab cf auto root for i317m, IF your going to attempt to reboot

grab zip fro stock build http://www.hotfile.com/dl/180165074/47da708/I317MVLALJ2_I317MOYAALJ2_RWC.zip.html
and un zip with 7zip
place in odin pda slot as the directions from chainfire's post, remove sd if installed and continue.
when finished let reboot and it will hang on boot ani. pull battery, go into stock recovery and format cache and factory reset, then reboot.
you should be good to go at that point. if not pm me. ;)

Feb 23, 2013
Ok so you have boot loops check it out,

here is list of what to grab odin version here
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33854395&postcount=2

follow those direction just insert your stock instead of cf auto root tar md5
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done

go to next post and grab cf auto root for i317m, IF your going to attempt to reboot

grab zip fro stock build http://www.hotfile.com/dl/180165074/47da708/I317MVLALJ2_I317MOYAALJ2_RWC.zip.html
and un zip with 7zip
place in odin pda slot as the directions from chainfire's post, remove sd if installed and continue.
when finished let reboot and it will hang on boot ani. pull battery, go into stock recovery and format cache and factory reset, then reboot.
you should be good to go at that point. if not pm me. ;)

Here's what I did, downloaded stock rom I317MVLALJ2_I317MOYAALJ2_RWC
downloaded ODIN 1.85 from chainfire's post
put stock rom into PDA tab, reset time and auto reboot checked
- start flash, it Passed.

then downloaded CF auto root for I317M
- put the phone in download mode again
- put CF auto root to PDA tab, reset time and auto reboot checked
- it passed too

now I cannot get to recovery
- battery out Volume UP+power +Home
- "samsung galxy note II" logo keeps coming back

one thing I remember from before when device was on complete stock, it use to show "Samsung" logo in Bold not "Samsung Galaxy Note II"

any ideas?

Feb 23, 2013
Here's what I did, downloaded stock rom I317MVLALJ2_I317MOYAALJ2_RWC
downloaded ODIN 1.85 from chainfire's post
put stock rom into PDA tab, reset time and auto reboot checked
- start flash, it Passed.

then downloaded CF auto root for I317M
- put the phone in download mode again
- put CF auto root to PDA tab, reset time and auto reboot checked
- it passed too

now I cannot get to recovery
- battery out Volume UP+power +Home
- "samsung galxy note II" logo keeps coming back

one thing I remember from before when device was on complete stock, it use to show "Samsung" logo in Bold not "Samsung Galaxy Note II"

any ideas?

Anyone............

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I believe to fix a bad partition you need the pit file. I think it is in the stock firmware. I have never had a issue where I could not do a factory wipe/reset. You need triangle away app from the play to reset counter. You need to be on stock software, stock recovery, stock kernel but be rooted to use triangle away

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Your issue is most likely hardware related because you were on stock software when you started having problems and you had not flashed any others software and you flashed stock software through odin and did not fix your problems

I'd say try flashing a new kernel, and doing a factory reset
    Edit...I re read op, and I think pit file also...
    Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

Format sd card then install latest stock rom with pit file ..it wil help u