OneNote / Live - Awesome feature, barely documented?

Search This thread

Talys

Nov 19, 2010
Vancouver
I've been using WP7 for about 5-6 days now. It's been an interesting combination of "How can that be missing?" and "Holy crap, that's cool!". By far, I think the most awesome and unique features are the cloud-related ones, like auto upload photos to SkyDrive and Zune.

And then I discovered the uber-coolness of OneNote.

As with many things on WP7, the documentation is scarce, burried, or both. But, did you know that you can have tabbed OneNote Notebook on WP7? Did you know that it can be perfectly synced to the free Web version and to the Office 2010 version of your PC?

Did you know that you can even have multiple notebooks?

If not, here's how:

1. Go to office.live.com on your PC, and make sure that you have a OneNote file created. If you've used OneNote from your PC, there should be a Personal (Web) file. If not, create it.

2. If you have OneNote on your PC, you can open it from office.live.com; just hover over the file, and click Open in OneNote. OneNote will save a book tab on the left side (in rotated print).

3. On your phone, set OneNote sync on (from Settings / Applications / Office / OneNote). Make sure to set Internet to default to mobile version (important!) and navigate to office.live.com in the Browser.

4. Go to the folder you have the OneNote Notebook, and tap it to open it. This automatically adds the Notebook to your OneNote on the phone, and opens it in OneNote. The tabs will all sync.

Presto -- you now have a Cloud based OneNote Notebook synced to your phone! You can see all your tabs, and all your pages; if you make changes, it all gets synced on the cloud automatically, and you can see it all on your Office 2010 version of OneNote, too!

You can even color your tabs. Just set the colors on your PC or Web, and they'll sync on the phone.

Want a second or third notebook? Just create a new one on Office Live, then go there on the phone and add it.

Also: if you tap and hold a notebook section (tab) you have the ability to set that as the default for new pages.

Neat, huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: havox22 and Rouz.

wheresmybeaver

Jul 24, 2008
Great tip! Just tried it on my HD7 and it works great!

I'm wondering; is there any way to password protect individual pages or tabs? If so, this would be the ideal way to store my passwords and bank details. As of now, there's no eWallet or SPB Wallet for WP7 and I'm missing that functionality :-(

NB I suppose I could set a pin for the phone in general, for basic protection, but still if I give my phone to someone to make a call or whatever they could still open my notes...

Talys

Nov 19, 2010
Vancouver
The password protection issue is part of my "huh, how did they miss THAT (scratches head)?". It also bugs me that once you put a credit card into Zune marketplace, anyone can make purchases without password approval too -- what's up with that?

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
Cell phones are normally a "singler user" device unlike computers (although even those are now single-user more often than not). If you want to password protect your notes, just put a pin on your lockscreen that will in effect password protect your whole phone.

Talys

Nov 19, 2010
Vancouver
The problem that I have with locking the phone is twofold: first, I don't like how long it takes to go from locked to home screen (too many taps). Second, I generally don't need to lock my phone - the problem is, if I let someone else play with my phone (for example, a kid, in a restaurant to keep them quiet!), I don't want to worry about them buying something on Marketplace

It's not a deal killer for me, and I use my phone totally non-password protected ATM.

vHatch

Aug 19, 2009
if I let someone else play with my phone (for example, a kid, in a restaurant to keep them quiet!), I don't want to worry about them buying something on Marketplace

You will give some random kid in a restaurant a $500 device to play with and possibly drop or run off with but then you worry about the 5% chance they will accidently purchase a $5 app?

rruffman

Oct 31, 2007
I've been using WP7 for about 5-6 days now. It's been an interesting combination of "How can that be missing?" and "Holy crap, that's cool!". By far, I think the most awesome and unique features are the cloud-related ones, like auto upload photos to SkyDrive and Zune.

As with many things on WP7, the documentation is scarce, burried, or both. But, did you know that you can have tabbed OneNote Notebook on WP7? Did you know that it can be perfectly synced to the free Web version and to the Office 2010 version of your PC?

If not, here's how:

1. Go to office.live.com on your PC, and make sure that you have a OneNote file created. If you've used OneNote from your PC, there should be a Personal (Web) file. If not, create it.

2. If you have OneNote on your PC, you can open it from office.live.com; just hover over the file, and click Open in OneNote. OneNote will save a book tab on the left side (in rotated print).

3. On your phone, set OneNote sync on (from Settings / Applications / Office / OneNote). Make sure to set Internet to default to mobile version (important!) and navigate to office.live.com in the Browser.

4. Go to the folder you have the OneNote Notebook, and tap it to open it. This automatically adds the Notebook to your OneNote on the phone, and opens it in OneNote. The tabs will all sync.

Presto -- you now have a Cloud based OneNote Notebook synced to your phone! You can see all your tabs, and all your pages; if you make changes, it all gets synced on the cloud automatically, and you can see it all on your Office 2010 version of OneNote, too!

You can even color your tabs. Just set the colors on your PC or Web, and they'll sync on the phone.

Want a second or third notebook? Just create a new one on Office Live, then go there on the phone and add it.

Also: if you tap and hold a notebook section (tab) you have the ability to set that as the default for new pages.

Neat, huh?

there is an easier way to get the books synced to your phone and anyone else who you want to have the same onenote books.

1 go to onenote on you pc.
2 click file new
3 in store notebook on select web
4 enter the name of book
5 web location select skydrive and make sure you are logged in to win live
6 if you want a different folder than the default folder (My Doccuments) click new share folder
7 click create folder
8 it will then ask you if you want to email the link to someone
9 click this selection and email it to your phone or anyone else you want to share this book with even other pcs.
10 on your phone in the email you get select the 1st option ("open this book in onenote)
your done.

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
This has been known forever. You can even Sync OneNote on Windows Mobile 6.5 to Desktop OneNote. They started advertising this before the OS was released, back when they gave away office mobile 2010 for WM6.5 users to let them know what was coming in their next mobile OS/Office version.

hboos

Jul 19, 2009
The annoying thing about Onenote on WP7 is that:

1. it doesnt support equations
2. it doesnt display symbols that aren't in the WP7 keyboard but are present on the PC
3. you can't enlarge a diagram in an existing notebook to view it full size

renders it almost useless to me...
or i need to reformat all my lecture notes! :'(

paulrockliffe

Sep 2, 2004
I've set this up, but am having a few problems:

I have four notebooks on my computer, all are set to sync with Sky Drive. I've opened One Note on my device and told it to sync to Sky Drive. It has added a 5th Note (Personal (web)) to my Sky Drive, which has taken the tabs from one of my Note Books and they now sync to the phone. But it is ignoring the other Notebooks completely.

What do I need to do to get all my Notebooks to Sync?

hboos

Jul 19, 2009
I've set this up, but am having a few problems:

I have four notebooks on my computer, all are set to sync with Sky Drive. I've opened One Note on my device and told it to sync to Sky Drive. It has added a 5th Note (Personal (web)) to my Sky Drive, which has taken the tabs from one of my Note Books and they now sync to the phone. But it is ignoring the other Notebooks completely.

What do I need to do to get all my Notebooks to Sync?

Hey dude, there was another thread which answered this question in more depth

But to summarise it for you:

1. make sure you have your phone browser settings to view mobile version
2. go to office.live.com on your phone
3. click on the icon to open the notebooks you want to snyc
4. repeat with any others you want to sync
5. SORTED!!!

The trick is to go to the mobile version of skydrive..,. why it doesn't work when you use the desktop version, i have no idea but at least it works...

eternalemb

May 3, 2010
Pasadena, CA
You guys got me curious and now I'm hooked on OneNote! How could I have never used this before! I have Office 2010 Professional and never used it till now. Sweet!

buffalosolja42

Aug 19, 2007
Gainesville
Ok driving me nuts

I have a quick question I was able to successfully sync the one notes with my focus and my work pc, is there a way I can connect my home desktop to these shared notes? I have been trying desperately to get this done, and for the life of me can't get it working. And I though that opening the file in one note on the pc would do it but my browser some reason doesn't support that..?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If not, here's how:

Neat, huh?
    interesting find.
    Now we just have to wait for the barrage of people who think the cloud is evil.... ;)