Help rooting cricket s7 g930az

Search This thread

Jay351

May 19, 2015
I've looked everywhere and haven't found anything on rooting for the 930az. Found an xda rep that said his root or the root he got if from was for all s7 . Followed the instructions step by step till I reached flashing ,then my phone got stuck in a bootloop .luckily I found a post on the inputs of Oden to return to stock but I'm still persistent on finding a root for it please help!!!

POWerSUrgeSW3

Jan 14, 2011
Phoenix
I've looked everywhere and haven't found anything on rooting for the 930az. Found an xda rep that said his root or the root he got if from was for all s7 . Followed the instructions step by step till I reached flashing ,then my phone got stuck in a bootloop .luckily I found a post on the inputs of Oden to return to stock but I'm still persistent on finding a root for it please help!!!
When you say flashing, fhalsing what exactly got you the bootloop? Was it flashing the engineering Boot.img through Odin or the fix S7 zip through Flashfire... Or something else?

I don't have a Cricket branded S7, but always offering to help you research.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jay351

May 19, 2015
When you say flashing, fhalsing what exactly got you the bootloop? Was it flashing the engineering Boot.img through Odin or the fix S7 zip through Flashfire... Or something else?

I don't have a Cricket branded S7, but always offering to help you research.

Thanks for the help it was https://youtu.be/KawiIZ4bAV8
As soon as I got to the boot.img and downloaded it to my phone that when it started.

POWerSUrgeSW3

Jan 14, 2011
Phoenix
As soon as I got to the boot.img and downloaded it to my phone that when it started.

Only a few things I can think to ask:

1) You are using the Odin version by PrinceComsy... not the original version of Odin?

2) When you download the engineering boot image, you're downloading it for your phone model (S7 for S7, S7 Edge for the S7 Edge)? Maybe you accidentally downloaded the wrong one?

3) When uploading the boot image through Odin, the boot image TAR file is in the AP slot of Odin?

4) Last thing I can think is easy, is the boot image is still a TAR file correct? Its not a ZIP or any other file extension?

Have you tried downloading the image again? I invite you to check out a thread I'm part of if you want another location to download the S7 engineering boot image, that thread located here and the boot image file can be downloaded directly from here

Reactions: Jay351

Jay351

May 19, 2015

1) You are using the Odin version by PrinceComsy... not the original version of Odin?
Yes and I tried the original also

2) When you download the engineering boot image, you're downloading it for your phone model (S7 for S7, S7 Edge for the S7 Edge)? Maybe you accidentally downloaded the wrong one?
Correct s7 for s7

3) When uploading the boot image through Odin, the boot image TAR file is in the AP slot of Odin?
Yes

4) Last thing I can think is easy, is the boot image is still a TAR file correct? Its not a ZIP or any other file extension?
I made sure it was still a tar file.

Thanks for your help I'll check it out

POWerSUrgeSW3

Jan 14, 2011
Phoenix

Yes and I tried the original also

Correct s7 for s7

Yes

I made sure it was still a tar file.

Thanks for your help I'll check it out

You're welcome, just trying to figure it out. Though I see this is a common thing, so I wonder what is different with the Cricket version?

And you're rooting the Nougat version of the phone? This seems to be a topic floating around with no one explaining it. I've tried looking to see if maybe the processor might be somehow a "reduced" version of the 820 compared to the others... but everything makes it look like it should work.

Only other thing I would say is go back through all the steps, and make sure you're not accidentally skipping one. I did that a bunch of times when I first started off. I ended up printing off instructions and making note edits. Took me a few different sets of instructions until I found a formula that worked for my G930P

Jay351

May 19, 2015
You're welcome, just trying to figure it out. Though I see this is a common thing, so I wonder what is different with the Cricket version?

And you're rooting the Nougat version of the phone? This seems to be a topic floating around with no one explaining it. I've tried looking to see if maybe the processor might be somehow a "reduced" version of the 820 compared to the others... but everything makes it look like it should work.

Only other thing I would say is go back through all the steps, and make sure you're not accidentally skipping one. I did that a bunch of times when I first started off. I ended up printing off instructions and making note edits. Took me a few different sets of instructions until I found a formula that worked for my G930P

I'm sorry no we haven't received the update yet I'm still on 6.0.1. Do you mean like mixing up the steps and finding which worked with your phone?

POWerSUrgeSW3

Jan 14, 2011
Phoenix
I'm sorry no we haven't received the update yet I'm still on 6.0.1. Do you mean like mixing up the steps and finding which worked with your phone?

Oh I'll have to go back and do some rereading then, because I thought I saw some websites saying that phone was already on Nougat. If you're still on MM this should be easier I would think... hmmm

For me, it took me about 4 or 5 different threads of talking about how they rooted their Sprint S7 phone, for me to find the right instructions for myself to root my phone. But I know along the way I would miss a step, then my phone wouldn't boot or bootloop like yours. That's why I went back and printed out instructions and checked off to make sure I didn't skip anything. After awhile I could wrap my head around it.

Just saying we are all human, so it's easy to skip a step. Though it doesn't seem like you're the only one having this problem. But if all the branded US phones are pretty much rooted one way or another, I don't see why yours would be any different.

Jay351

May 19, 2015
Oh I'll have to go back and do some rereading then, because I thought I saw some websites saying that phone was already on Nougat. If you're still on MM this should be easier I would think... hmmm

For me, it took me about 4 or 5 different threads of talking about how they rooted their Sprint S7 phone, for me to find the right instructions for myself to root my phone. But I know along the way I would miss a step, then my phone wouldn't boot or bootloop like yours. That's why I went back and printed out instructions and checked off to make sure I didn't skip anything. After awhile I could wrap my head around it.

Just saying we are all human, so it's easy to skip a step. Though it doesn't seem like you're the only one having this problem. But if all the branded US phones are pretty much rooted one way or another, I don't see why yours would be any different.

Your probably right I'll try those steps again and see if anything changes. The only model I see that's close to g930az would be the at&t which is g930a. I know I got lucky with the last attempt to try with it in soft brick. I just don't want to try to many and it be completely screwed. Because on cricket you have to buy all of you phones up front well at least I had to with mine. I'll try it again and let you know if it worked or I have a paper weight haha. Thanks again

POWerSUrgeSW3

Jan 14, 2011
Phoenix
Your probably right I'll try those steps again and see if anything changes. The only model I see that's close to g930az would be the at&t which is g930a. I know I got lucky with the last attempt to try with it in soft brick. I just don't want to try to many and it be completely screwed. Because on cricket you have to buy all of you phones up front well at least I had to with mine. I'll try it again and let you know if it worked or I have a paper weight haha. Thanks again
With following the steps you are and what you have happening, you should be OK with being able Odin back to factory firmware.

Yeah Cricket is kind of the double edge sword, you have to buy the phone up front, but they have CHEAP prices for good service. I had them when I first moved to Arizona and would have kept them, if I didn't travel so much.

Report back if anything changes.

leonardo879

Mar 24, 2017
hey can you help get my s7 g930az back to stock. i also happen to be stuck in a bootloop and i've searched everywhere and nothing

POWerSUrgeSW3

Jan 14, 2011
Phoenix
hey can you help get my s7 g930az back to stock. i also happen to be stuck in a bootloop and i've searched everywhere and nothing
Do you have the stock firmware and Odin? Flash that will get you back to stock and functional. Does take awhile to flash the full imagine, but can pretty much fix any software brick issues.

leonardo879

Mar 24, 2017
Do you have the stock firmware and Odin? Flash that will get you back to stock and functional. Does take awhile to flash the full imagine, but can pretty much fix any software brick issues.

Yes i have the stock firmware and Odin but it always fails. is there any other way to fix it? i tried smart switch and it stops at 69% and it says error so idk what else to try.

leonardo879

Mar 24, 2017
By default the phones are locked so someone can't steal your phone and Reimage it. If you boot your phone up after trying to flash do you get an FPR or some sort of error like that?

No it doesn't. The phone is just stuck in a boot loop after i tried installing a .tar file in Odin that i got from a youtube video showing how to root it but it doesn't work so now i'm stuck on he boot loop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Have you tried downloading the image again? I invite you to check out a thread I'm part of if you want another location to download the S7 engineering boot image, that thread located here and the boot image file can be downloaded directly from here
    How to Root Galaxy S7 Cricket G930AZ 7.0 Nougat

Hi All -
    For all those wondering how to root the Galaxy S7 for Cricket on Nougat, I just successfully did it last night. I had rooted prior on Marshmallow 6.0.1 with the method in the OP but after a year I had terrible battery and performance issues so wanted to start fresh. I just spent all night last night wiping, flashing and restoring my phone so don't have too much time to write in detail but here is the gist of what I did to successfully achieve upgrade to Nougat 7.0 and root without tripping Knox (after some trial and error)

1. First I backed up my phone with both Titanium Backup and Samsung Smartswitch (just in case). Also don't forget to manually copy your DCIM picture folder and also your whatsapp backup folder to your SD card
    2. Next I used ODIN and the files found here to return to stock 6.0.1. https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s7/how-to/factory-odin-files-sm-g930az-t3569831. **THIS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE YOUR PHONE**
    3. Next I wanted to upgrade to the newest firmware to see if I would have better performance and battery, and feel like after doing all this work at least I updated my phone. This can be done either via OTA or Samsung Smartswitch. I would recommend Smartswitch because it goes to the newest in one download whereas the OTA updates go sequentially. (However if you don't want the newest and want to stop at an update somewhere in between then you need to use OTA.
    4. Now I successfully have a stock official Cricket Galaxy S7 running 7.0 Nougat with version G930AZUS4BRA1 (Security patch Jan 1, 2018)
    5. Next I followed the instructions in this post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75668699&postcount=2573 you may have to reference the original post in that thread to figure some things out. (Note: I know this key part isn't very detailed but why reinvent the wheel. Basically all I had to do was flash those Eng Root files with PrinceComsy Odin and then run the root.bat from command prompt on my PC (I think I had the ADB thing set up from last year) in the order he instructs and it worked, for any q's and issues it is best to reference that thread)
    6. Done! Rooted Cricket Galaxy S7 without tripping Knox. Samsung Pay won't work, but Root Access is achieved.
    7. Restore all of your apps and appdata that you backed up
    Thank you to all those on here that helped guide me on this overnight journey!:cool: