[DEV][THE S-OFF CAMPAIGN] We need electrical engineers & experts in JTAG, OpenOCD!

Search This thread

no.human.being

Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, HBOOT runs "on the metal" (no operating system beneath). Now as far as I understand there are two possible scenarios and we don't know for sure which one is implemented.

1. HBOOT sends "unlock" commands directly to the memory controller before booting the kernel. If this was the case, we'd have to modify the kernel to send more "unlock" commands after it has been booted.

2. HBOOT tells the Radio what to unlock via RPC and only Radio can talk to the memory controller. If this was the case, we may not only need to find a way of RPCing the Radio from within Android, but also a way of making it believe that we are HBOOT.

Case 1 is the "good case" and it's the case for e. g. the HTC Vision, where the NAND lock has already been broken, so I hope it's the case for the WFS as well.

Case 2 is much much worse, since the Radio could actually make use of cryptography to ensure that the HBOOT is authentic before fulfilling its requests. I think we'd be pretty much doomed if that was the case and there probably wouldn't be a way of breaking security other than xtc-clip or faking the signature of a patched HBOOT (which is infeasible when implemented correctly and private keys not leaked) or directly programmiing the chip via JTAG. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Antagonist42
W

Wolf Pup

****. I don't like Case 2. How does XTC do it. Directly changing the byte or by patching HBOOT? Come on! If XTC can do it, so can we! Can someone please summarize what is happening at the moment.
I've lost track. And should the OP update the OP?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
Nothing Phone 2
even case2 is not unbreakable. the keys needed must be stored somewhere.

to come back to the clip: it does no magic. it mimics a probably leaked htc service sim and flashs the diagnostics tool. that does s-off. once s-off you can write supercid.

the most important thing is the sim emulator.

Reactions: no.human.being

einstein.frat

Mar 7, 2012
There is a possiblity that dopounutbear wire method works on ws, open the ws you will see contacts, let dopounutbear do its thing and its s off like the xtc clip style.

Antagonist42

Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Directly programming which chip? the MMU or mARM via Jtag?

Qualcomm make specific use of protecting access to areas mARM stores security so Jtag can only access 'indirectly' via authentic software or have the keys/signature (forcing use of Jtag blows remaining Q-Fuses making finding the original Q-Fuse sequences even harder), aARM you can use Jtag on but even then to get in that way to mARM you still need the keys/signature to get into mARM's protected areas (if I remember rightly more specifically a 64kB section in IMEM's 256kB area in mARM) which mARM sets up during PBL and then has no direct access to it.

This is where I think using Official updates that we could alter may at least offer the best way in without crippling or destroying security, which to a certain extent helps protect the whole phone from being exposed to being hacked from outside sources other than the user (if you made use of the NFC and you have a rogue app that copies data and transmits it, essentially we'd have exposed our bank details for them :confused:)

einstein.frat

Mar 7, 2012
You need an ARM rompatcher, patch Hboot to S-off set to autorun on boot also custom keyboard so you could write to Data also System and other partitions except hboot where rompatcher running you can only use it when its booted to android.

Can write files to rom, with su, can flash roms, can flash kernels, cant and no flash splashscreen, and cant and no make custom partitions.

Download

Last edited:

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
Nothing Phone 2
There is a possiblity that dopounutbear wire method works on ws, open the ws you will see contacts, let dopounutbear do its thing and its s off like the xtc clip style.

JuopunutBear will probably not work. The so called wire-trick seems to work only on eMMC based devices which have a special qualcomm download mode. The WFS has no pins to connect to. it has several "holes" where a wire would fit in, but no contact pins. I don't think this will ever come to mtd devices.

Well again I have a xtc clip in Scotland if anyone is willing to provide a phone we can do the dumps and see :cool:

sent from my android powered beast!

We should come back to it later, when we succeeded writing to the radio area and our hboot exploit does not work out.

You need an ARM rompatcher, patch Hboot to S-off set to autorun on boot also custom keyboard so you could write to Data also System and other partitions except hboot where rompatcher running you can only use it when its booted to android.

Can write files to rom, with su, can flash roms, can flash kernels, cant and no flash splashscreen, and cant and no make custom partitions.

Download

I don't think the rompatcher will help us flashing a hboot ;-)

Antagonist42

Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
The problem we have is the section 'Block Lock Feature' (p42 of the NAND chip), essentially we can write to NAND with updates, the AMSS or Radio data is write protected on NAND (and I think n.h.b. may have read same things that say the S-OFF is in the Radio or mARM system data as I have) even at boot time whilst the APPS/kernel aARM is not write protected so we can freely install things to a certain degree, if we could find out what, where and how the NAND is 'inverting' the Block Lock we can write in whatever we wanted and possibly simply 'turn' S-ON to S-OFF.

Seeing as you have to register with HTC to get the hboot updated (which I stripped it out and is hboot_1.10.0000.img) so as you can install roms etc there must be a difference between that and original hboot's that maybe 'pull's down' the lock enabled NAND on boot to make it writable seeing as there isn't an update for the AMSS/Radio of the system...... going to find a few hboot's to compare them and see what's what >:)

This is what we may need to know how to get at the S-ON/OFF as to how to turn the NAND's Block Lock on and off.

Last edited:

no.human.being

Oct 29, 2011
even case2 is not unbreakable. the keys needed must be stored somewhere.

If the Radio does really intercept all NAND access, it's quite easy to make it unbreakable.

Radio (pseudo-)code:

Code:
#define FALSE 0
#define TRUE -1

char memory_controller_read_nand(int);
void memory_controller_write_nand(int, char);

int is_kernel_running;

__remote_callable char nand_read(int address)
{
   return memory_controller_read_nand(address);
}

__remote_callable void nand_write(int address, char data)
{

if ((!is_kernel_running) | (!memory_controller_check_locked_flag(address))
      memory_controller_write_nand(address, data);

}

__remote_callable void booting_kernel()
{
   is_kernel_running = TRUE;
}

int main() /* This is the entry point to the Radio firmware, mARM begins executing here after powering up */
{
   is_kernel_running = FALSE;

while (true)
      sleep(5);

}

HBOOT (pseudo-)code:

Code:
extern "C" __remote_callable void booting_kernel(); // This is an RPC handle to the method in the Radio

void load_kernel();

int main()
{

if (flash_ruu) /* If we need to flash an RUU */
      run_ruu_flash_process(); /* Actually flash the RUU */
   else /* Otherwise */
   {
      booting_kernel(); /* Radio knows that at this point HBOOT is no longer running and will refuse all access to Radio area to aARM */
      load_kernel(); /* This actually loads and executes the kernel */
   }

}

Now let's assume aARM doesn't have direct NAND access, so all our kernel can do after it has been loaded by HBOOT is do a remote-call to the "nand_write(...)" method in the Radio to request it to write. Since the Radio knows that a kernel has been loaded, it will no longer pass write commands to pages that are flagged as "locked" to the NAND. Of course it will also intercept the calls for changing these flags. Now you tell me how to break the security even in this "easy" example (which doesn't even make use of cryptography). You can't alter the "booting_kernel()" function in the Radio and also not the call to it in the HBOOT, since both lie within the protected area. ;-)

to come back to the clip: it does no magic. it mimics a probably leaked htc service sim and flashs the diagnostics tool. that does s-off. once s-off you can write supercid.

And the diagnostics tool is original HTC software and therefore signed.

the most important thing is the sim emulator.

Right. The software will check for the service SIM and a SIM card is actually a small microprocessor that will usually talk a cryptographic protocol to authenticate. It will encrypt or decrypt data that is passed through it with keys stored in its internal storage. The keys themselves will not be revealed in this process and the data stream to be encrypted can be randomly generated each time by the diagnostics tool, so eavesdropping on an xtc-clip won't help.

Directly programming which chip? the MMU or mARM via Jtag?

The NAND. :D

Well, indirectly. With JTAG, you can drive all output pins of a chip in real-time. Manufacturers use this feature to perform what they call "boundary scans". It's basically a facility for testing whether the conductive paths on the PCBs are ok. We take whatever processor the NAND is connected to and use JTAG to drive that one's I/O pins in the right manner to talk the protocol that is used for NAND access (which is probably SPI).

Qualcomm make specific use of protecting access to areas mARM stores security so Jtag can only access 'indirectly' via authentic software or have the keys/signature (forcing use of Jtag blows remaining Q-Fuses making finding the original Q-Fuse sequences even harder)

Lol, they certainly won't block JTAG access. It's too important for repair. Say someone steals a manufacturer's signature keys (e. g. a former employee smuggles them out), then releases a "firmware update" that will always completely lock the NAND, no matter what. If they disabled JTAG access, even HTC's engineers wouldn't have a way of getting a different firmware onto the phone after such an incident. Same scenario if HTC releases an update that just doesn't boot and locks up the mARM. Thousands of "dead" phones with controllers that are fully functional, but have "bad firmware" on them and disabled JTAG access. Hehe! No, you never disable such a thing. :D

Also, why should they lock it up so much? Ok, you mentioned NFC. This may actually be a security-relevant thing to justify such a protection. However apart from NFC (which our phone doesn't support afaik), it's just protecting intellectual property. You protect intellectual property by preventing your competitors from looking at it (since they could build a similar device and slap your firmware on), not from modifying it (they won't buy your hardware, slap their firmware on and sell it again :D ). So if every NAND access actually had to go through mARM and aARM could not directly talk to NAND, they certainly would filter the reading requests as well on the NAND pages that aARM doesn't have to read (the HBOOT area it has to read, but not the other Radio stuff). The only thing that write-protecting is useful for is preventing accidental (bricking) or intentional (malware) modifications to the firmware. And since your virus-app that you downloaded from Android Market certainly won't have JTAG access, why would you disable the JTAG port? ;-)

Also remember that the mARM runs this Pistachio microkernel (which is basically just a scheduler) instead of a full-featured kernel like Linux. It does so because a complex operating-system kernel will usually do all sorts of stuff, e. g. processing interrupts, that could make it impossible to guarantee timing constraints that might be important to the network. Do you really think that they will "occupy" this processor with forwarding NAND requests for the aARM? (Remember that the NAND interface is quite wideband so there's gonna be a lot of traffic from the aARM.)

You see it all doesn't really add up. We're probably wrong with our assumption that mARM has NAND access and aARM does not. And at least on the HTC Vision it has already been verified that aARM has direct and exclusive NAND access, while mARM has to RPC the Android kernel running on the aARM for every page access. So it's actually the other way round. Android can intercept Radio's NAND access, which also makes sense from an architectural point of view, since the mARM is a sort of co-processor to the aARM and co-processors usually don't have direct memory access, while the main processor, the aARM, has.

The problem we have is the section 'Block Lock Feature' (p42 of the NAND chip), essentially we can write to NAND with updates, the AMSS or Radio data is write protected on NAND (and I think n.h.b. may have read same things that say the S-OFF is in the Radio or mARM system data as I have) even at boot time whilst the APPS/kernel aARM is not write protected so we can freely install things to a certain degree, if we could find out what, where and how the NAND is 'inverting' the Block Lock we can write in whatever we wanted and possibly simply 'turn' S-ON to S-OFF.

The blocks can be unlocked simply by passing an "unlock" command to the NAND. If we can directly talk to the NAND and mARM is not somehow "intercepting" our communication (and then blocking these "unlock" commands), we will "just" have to implement a facility into the kernel's mtd driver to pass "unlock" commands to the NAND chip, just as it now passes ordinary "read" and "write" commands to the NAND chip. So as long as our aARM has direct I/O to NAND, it's definitely possible to overcome (even though it requires us to really customize that driver and remember we don't have a kernel dev here ;-) ). If mARM can intercept our I/O, well, then they can achieve some goddamn security level. See top of my post.

Last edited:

Antagonist42

Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Now let's assume aARM doesn't have direct NAND access, so all our kernel can do after it has been loaded by HBOOT is do a remote-call to the "nand_write(...)" method in the Radio to request it to write. Since the Radio knows that a kernel has been loaded, it will no longer pass write commands to pages that are flagged as "locked" to the NAND. Of course it will also intercept the calls for changing these flags. Now you tell me how to break the security even in this "easy" example (which doesn't even make use of cryptography). You can't alter the "booting_kernel()" function in the Radio and also not the call to it in the HBOOT, since both lie within the protected area. ;-)

Ok ;) ... mARM boots up, loads up boot loaders etc, sets up secure area in Imem etc and then sits in the background running the AMSS and spends the majority of it's time on EBI2 (slow Bus) running the peripherals (and NAND resides on EBI2) whilst aARM is running the apps, system, passing everything back and forth mainly on EBI1 (fast Bus) with access to some (if not all) peripherals, DDR Memory etc, the AXI bus is the crossover between both EBI1 and EBI2, anything that tries to access something on the EBI2 Bus is more than likely to be 'Quizzed' as to whether it has legitimate access (secure signature or Q-Fuse key) to alter the system or files, either a/mARM can pass a signature/key through to IMEM to attempt to pass, if true then the operation commences, false and nothing happens as neither ARM can directly 'read' the secure IMEM only pass a file in - result out, that's how I'm seeing how the mARM has the control over aARM as to writting to NAND and turning off the Block Lock or Tight Lock as NAND resides on EBI2 and access is through AXI bus and mARM (you knock on NANDS door and mARM barks his head off :D).

How to get around it? ......One thing you have to do seems to be 'Have Your Phone Turned On' (either with an EUU/RUU or the HTC Unlock) before you update, essentially android up and running and not booting up from power off, if android is up and running you could literally run a signed program to instruct a reboot with NAND Locks off or it's written into SMEM then stored and implemented on reboot (as the system info to re-use on a warm boot and does this if you reboot normally), so what if you were to turn off the BT Server and Sync Server Starter before you reboot? As I see it if you were to turn something off like this, put maybe the same thing into data that is reloaded from SMEM when you boot into fastboot you then have mARM maybe not communicating CELL side wise and a Sync Server that isn't Synced to say AXI Bus, then your system is on, you're running fastboot and any read/write/erase to NAND isn't signature/key checked (as these are placed into IMEM around PBL Loading) by mARM as it's been 'turned off'.

Lol, they certainly won't block JTAG access. It's too important for repair. Say someone steals a manufacturer's signature keys (e. g. a former employee smuggles them out), then releases a "firmware update" that will always completely lock the NAND, no matter what. If they disabled JTAG access, even HTC's engineers wouldn't have a way of getting a different firmware onto the phone after such an incident. Same scenario if HTC releases an update that just doesn't boot and locks up the mARM. Thousands of "dead" phones with controllers that are fully functional, but have "bad firmware" on them and disabled JTAG access. Hehe! No, you never disable such a thing.

I think they do, not the whole chip but only what they don't want you to get at because of the very same reason if somebody 'stole' the keys......

Code:
[B]3.6.8.1 Modem subsystem security[/B]
The modem subsystem is protected from all outside masters by the unidirectional modem bridge.
In addition, there are non-trusted masters inside the modem subsystem:
1. ARM9 when running in user mode
2. Modem data mover channels controlled by ARM9 in user mode
The level of trust granted to the user-mode ARM9 and data mover masters is sufficient to access all modem components except the secure mode control (SMC) register map. Protection of the SMC is ensured by checking the HPROT[1] bit. This bit is set during accesses produced by the mARM while in supervisory mode and during accesses produced by DM channels in security domain 0. mARM software must ensure that the DM security domain 0 is only accessible to mARM in supervisory mode. No access to the SMC is allowed in user mode.

[B]3.6.8.2 Q-fuses[/B]
The MSM7227 IC includes on-chip non-volatile (NV) one-time programmable memory to store device configurations, hardware key values, boot ROM patch information, and memory redundancy information. These NV bits are electronic fuses called Q-fuses.
[B]Security-related NV content[/B]
Four Q-fuse chains are used for security-related applications; if compromised (modified and/or observed) they may cause a security breach:
[B]1. PRI_HW_KEY (128 bits + FEC)[/B] – contains the primary hardware key value that can be programmed after packaging. Once this chain is programmed its contents must be protected from observation or modification, so a CONFIG chain fuse is provided to [COLOR="Red"]disable JTAG access[/COLOR] to it. Secure software may read its value by accessing the SMC memory map.
[B]2. SEC_HW_KEY (128 bits + FEC)[/B] – contains the secondary hardware key value; all the [U][B]PRI_HW_KEY comments (#1 above)[/B][/U] apply to this chain as well.
[B]3. BOOT_ROOM_PATCH (2256 bits)[/B] – contains boot ROM patch information that is programmed and tested before packaging. Once this chain is programmed its contents must be protected from observation or modification, so a CONFIG chain fuse is provided to [COLOR="Red"]disable JTAG access to it[/COLOR]. There is no direct software access, but secure software may indirectly access its content by reading the boot ROM content.
[B]4. CONFIG (143 bits + FEC)[/B] – contains miscellaneous configuration information that can be programmed after packaging. Additional programming by handset designers (or their production staff) is allowed, if they weren’t already blown by Qualcomm. A fuse value of [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]1[/COLOR] means it has been blown.

As for NFC I'd guess if you have the MSM7227, a NAND/OneNAND, PM7540, RT6280/6285, Bluetooth, WiFi and all the rest then it's capable, they put it on my phone and my Base Motherboard of the phone is the HTC ChaCha so the ChaCha is capable if HTC put it on (or maybe they want to string out the phones a while longer 'til you upgrade :rolleyes:)

Also remember that the mARM runs this Pistachio microkernel (which is basically just a scheduler) instead of a full-featured kernel like Linux. It does so because a complex operating-system kernel will usually do all sorts of stuff, e. g. processing interrupts, that could make it impossible to guarantee timing constraints that might be important to the network. Do you really think that they will "occupy" this processor with forwarding NAND requests for the aARM? (Remember that the NAND interface is quite wideband so there's gonna be a lot of traffic from the aARM.)

No I think you have the NAND memory mixed up with the DDR RAM, NAND Resides solely on the EBI2 (SPB Slow Peripheral Bus), DDR Memory on EBI1 (FPB Fast Peripheral Bus), aARM is probably using NAND at boot via the AXI Bus

Code:
[B]3.3.2 Peripheral buses[/B]
The fast and slow peripheral buses (Figure 3-7) enable bus masters to connect with several peripheral devices and lower-bandwidth memories inside the MSM7227 IC and beyond, thereby offloading the buses to the high-speed EBI1. Five bus masters are supported: 1) the modem subsystem, 2) the applications processor subsystem, 3) the applications data mover, 4) the aDSP, and 5) the MDP.

We're probably wrong with our assumption that mARM has NAND access and aARM does not. And at least on the HTC Vision it has already been verified that aARM has direct and exclusive NAND access, while mARM has to RPC the Android kernel running on the aARM for every page access.

Why make the assumption that only ONE has access? don't forget that there are two Data Buses, two Data Movers, separate and joint RAM in MSM chip and two kernels running, one as a high level OS the other closer to machine code, it is quite viable they could both have access but only either one at a time or as the MSM chip is (and if the NAND is) capable as RISC operations.

The blocks can be unlocked simply by passing an "unlock" command to the NAND. If we can directly talk to the NAND and mARM is not somehow "intercepting" our communication (and then blocking these "unlock" commands), we will "just" have to implement a facility into the kernel's mtd driver to pass "unlock" commands to the NAND chip, just as it now passes ordinary "read" and "write" commands to the NAND chip. So as long as our aARM has direct I/O to NAND, it's definitely possible to overcome

If you know where the locked upper and lower partitions are (around what we have access to at the moment which is mainly in the visible system we can alter) we could simply dump all info surely? alter the partitions maybe? Get the phone to 'unlock' the 'Block Lock' then all data outside what we can map already should be mappable (if not already held in the radio area we cannot access), as any space as with oob is read around to the next readable location, the (lets say 2 seperate partitions - as we use the 1 in between them now) 2 partitions would simply be read and the oob section (our in use now partition) would be skipped until the next readable location. There is no block on reading and writing except for what is within the given partition on NAND and what is held as 'protected' as with AMSS you may need keys/signed software (as with EUU/RUU).

Now I just hope I make as much sense as you do ;)

alc027

Nov 22, 2011
Yes. In the beginning of the misc partition there are some values referring to usb and stuff. they are VERY important. Screwing these values will make the device not accepting usb connections anymore (within android, of course. bootloader will still work with usb) and also makes the system not recognizing the external storage. on a locked device without misc backup you are probably doomed then :D

True? I'm fairly sure this has happened to me is the reason.

The device bootloops before before passing to the kernel UNLESS charging power is supplied to it, then it boots fine.

It understands that it is connected via USB by neither UMS nor ADB will work. Recovery cannot see the sdcard.

I'm fairly sure that it's a USB brick. Would it be possible to flash somebody else's misc.img if they gave me one?

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
Nothing Phone 2
The device bootloops before before passing to the kernel UNLESS charging power is supplied to it, then it boots fine.
Strong indication for misc brick

It understands that it is connected via USB by neither UMS nor ADB will work. Recovery cannot see the sdcard.
Right. Also indicator of misc usb brick

I'm fairly sure that it's a USB brick. Would it be possible to flash somebody else's misc.img if they gave me one?

Yes. Depending on which device CID you have. I can only give you the misc.img of HTC_EU Devices.

However, if you are able got get a misc.img according to your country you can fix your misc brick. this is what I've done: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23175308&highlight=enableqxdm#post23175308

So, basically all you need is a working misc.img for your phone. if you have it I can tell you how to exactly unbrick. because this is a bit tricky depending on several things

alc027

Nov 22, 2011
So, basically all you need is a working misc.img for your phone. if you have it I can tell you how to exactly unbrick. because this is a bit tricky depending on several things

!!Yes please!!. I've been trying to get this thing working for 3 weeks. The only place it can do any good is in my car as a music player. I feel like an iPhone user stuck with tethered jailbreak.

If you gave me your misc.img would I be able to hex edit my CID (or super CID it) before flashing?

Thanks again

EDIT: I also did enableqxdm but not having a valid misc to flash I remained USB bricked

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts