[CLOSED][APP][XPOSED][6.0+] XPrivacyLua - Android privacy manager [UNSUPPORTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B
Can one app interact with another even with "Get Applications" hook is enabled? For example, many apps have embedded YouTube links. Does that mean that they are leaking account info and more by fetching data from standalone YouTube app?
The get applications restriction prevent apps from getting information about other apps running on your device.

Please see here for more information:
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/PackageManager

Fif_

Jun 5, 2013
Google Nexus 10
Google Nexus 4
The get applications restriction prevent apps from getting information about other apps running on your device.

Please see here for more information:
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/PackageManager
The repo also contains more PackageManager hooks as well.
While the built-in stock "Get Applications" hooks will prevent a restricted app from getting the list of installed and running apps and services, the repository hooks also prevent a restricted app from querying about or invoking specific apps. Search for "Get.Applications" or "PackageManager" in the repo.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
After having endured so many ungrateful, demanding and rude people, this 1 star rating is the final drop:

"Gegenüber der alten XPrivacy ein riesiger Scheissdreck"
(English: "Compared to the old XPrivacy a huge ****")

The interest and support for this project is minimal anyway.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
After having endured so many ungrateful, demanding and rude people, this 1 star rating is the final drop:

Reactions: 123_win

Whaaaattt ... that's a troll kid with low IQ ... just ignore that kind of people.... I can't live without xprivacyLUA.... don't make them win... For XprivacyLUA you need to know the basic of android spyware aka abusing privacy... for that you need to read a lot... and to understand you need IQ < 100 :laugh:..
please don't stop the great work... keep it up... all the best
Good luck.

So members of mensa (or people with an IQ >= 100) cannot understand it...

But I agree the rest ;)
Looool you get the hidden message good :highfive: finaly Im laughing ... it was loong time ago last time I lool.... damn hospitals, but at least nurses are hot loool...

I also forget to say thanks to @Fif_ for his great work on modules...
Long live XPRIVACYLUA ... power to the people! Brains over the trollsss lool

Last edited:
Reactions: Klaus N. and Fif_

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Whaaaattt ... that's a troll kid with low IQ ...
It is not about just that one review. It is about too many ungrateful, demanding and rude people.

I am not sure how I am going to proceed yet, but I am considering to completely stop answering questions (not only here) about XPrivacyLua and to limit updates to fix critical bugs only. Fortunately, XPrivacyLua has proven to be quite robust and such an update has never been necessary.

Edit: in addition: XPrivacyLua is flexible enough with custom hook definitions to fix most problems.

Last edited:

beeshyams

Dec 29, 2014
Bangalore
It is not about just that one review. It is about too many ungrateful, demanding and rude people.

I am not sure how I am going to proceed yet, but I am considering to completely stop answering questions (not only here) about XPrivacyLua and to limit updates to fix critical bugs only. Fortunately, XPrivacyLua has proven to be quite robust and such an update has never been necessary.

Edit: in addition: XPrivacyLua is flexible enough with custom hook definitions to fix most problems.

A big thanks to you and @Fif_ ( for custom hook support).

It must be frustrating but there is a small lot who will swear by this. Incidentally, postponed upgrading to Android 10 only because of this mod

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member

XPL is a fantastic, I'd even say, perfect product due to the mentioned flexibility, and I wish I don't have to miss it. But that's certainly your very own and private choice, Marcel. However, just let me and all of your other followers who appreciate how YOU defend OUR privacy know if and how we can support you in the defence against above mentioned people. Marcel, you and your products are highly recognised; not only here on XDA but also promoted on other platforms e.g. (and I assume as a Dutch boy you talk German very well) by one of in my personal views highly recognised promoters of privacy in Germany, Mike Kuketz (https://www.kuketz-blog.de/fairemail-datenschutzfreundlicher-e-mail-client-mit-tollem-interface/).
Marcel, I watch you for many years now and I'm impressed by the patience you've always shown. Maybe it's time to change attitude and to use the tools XDA provides to keep YOUR thread(s) on-topic and clean. It's your thread and in turn your ultimate decision.
And my suggestion to anybody else who likes Marcel's product and the way he mediates his threads is, please just don't reply to any post (or anybody) that isn't really suitable here for whatever reason. I don't mean you're supposed to ignore it but simply report the post via the report function to raise the moderators' team attention. Let this team to deal with it!
Due to my very personal requirements but even more for the benefit of XDA and its great community, I'd appreciate if this project continues to be supported and the thread to remain vivid.
Thanks very much for listening - and your future support!

Namnodorel

Oct 26, 2015

Well, that's unfortunate but understandable :/ For what it's worth, I (and many others) are very grateful for the work and support you've done here.

But if you don't mind, I'd like to hear about it if you start any other public project! Next to using XPL, I'm also definetely a fan of how you work in general, and would like to give any new project of yours a try! ^^

Namnodorel

Oct 26, 2015
Did you already try FairEmail ?
I have, and in fact I gave quite a bit of feedback on that in the early days ;P
I've just switched to ProtonMail now, which doesn't support any of the usual mail formats. For that reason, although FairEmail looks neat, I just personally don't have much use for it right now.

Reactions: M66B

Klaus N.

Oct 14, 2012
Nuremberg
Hi Marcel,
I just want to say thank you for your awesome work in the whole, but also especially the many many hours you've invested into this brilliant project :cowboy:
Even though I'd fully understand you to drop it after that disrespectful comments, I'd highly appreciate a prosecution of XPL - at least in a bug-fix (if neccessary).

Again: Thank you - Bedanken - Danke!!!

Also many thanks to @Fif_ for your great support!!!

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
I completely understand the frustration, Marcel. I would like to thank you for the years of hard work keeping our privacy. I have always used some kind of Privacy app, even back in the Pdroid days. It is a shame you get more negative comments over time. Whatever you choose, I wish you godspeed and endless gratitude for your near thankless work.

Light_Wing

Is there a way to filter apps with the get.applications restriction? In xPrivacy there was a way to choose for each app which apps it can see, for example app 'A' would be restricted from seeing 'B' & 'C' but would be able to see app 'D'...

I couldn't find a way to do it, and I didn't find anything related while searching around here (my searching skills might not be the best as I'm new to XDA)

What I want: get a list/filter for which apps can be seen, and not just restrict all or nothing...

tbv2005

Aug 3, 2011
OnePlus 10 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Is there a way to filter apps with the get.applications restriction? In xPrivacy there was a way to choose for each app which apps it can see, for example app 'A' would be restricted from seeing 'B' & 'C' but would be able to see app 'D'...

I couldn't find a way to do it, and I didn't find anything related while searching around here (my searching skills might not be the best as I'm new to XDA)

What I want: get a list/filter for which apps can be seen, and not just restrict all or nothing...
Not possible with the "stock" restrictions. Either you would need to write your own one or you just use sudohide xposed module....

Sent from my OnePlus7Pro using XDA Labs

stepcount

Oct 13, 2019
You are giving up this easily?

Dear Marcel,

Let me tell you my situation first. And this goes to any dev looking for some morale boost and positive vibes.

I am from 3rd world country. I have a mobile worth 50 bucks since 3 years. I am from a place where there is no GDPR. Only capitalism. The rich gets richer and you know how it ends for the poorest of all. I live in remote village and study in a school there everyday by cylcing about 10 kms. Needless to say, I can't afford this app. And yet one of my friends helped me with a donated version as I do not own a payment card yet. I am 15.

Do you really want to know what this kind of struggle looks like? I have slept on the floor with no foods in my stomach for days when the harvest is bad. I have been to nights with no power too often now that it has become a routine. I have been gone out to fetch drinking water from a well in extreme heat. And I am happy like nothing happened. What you are facing right now is nothing compared to so many millions face on a daily basis and it is more torturing and full of abuses.

Should I stop as well? Life never gives up on you easily. Any app is as real as life can be. People underestimate how they affect them but this kind of approach shines more light in the darkness.

I feel pride every day that I am moving forward by the openness of what Android has provided to me. Yes, it collects data like no other but this app limits that to a limit and makes me even more interested in other projects.

Shout out to all developers for making such Anti-Android apps.

I urge you to think bigger and always move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XPrivacyLua

banner_play_store.png

Really simple to use privacy manager for Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later (successor of XPrivacy).

Revoking Android permissions from apps often let apps crash or malfunction. XPrivacyLua solves this by feeding apps fake data instead of real data.

Features:

• Simple to use
    • Manage any user or system app
    • Extensible
    • Multi-user support
    • Free and open source

See here for all details, including installation instructions and download link.

Please read the frequently asked questions before asking a question.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of XPrivacyLua. Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to XPrivacyLua and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread, but anything not related to privacy is not allowed.

If XPrivacyLua doesn't work and/or when "module not running or updated" is shown, this is almost always caused by an Xposed problem.

Discussions about purchases are not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XPrivacyLua is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

Custom hook definitions will always be part of XPrivacyLua, but there will be community support only. This means that I won't respond to questions about defining custom hooks anymore. See this thread for the reasons.

If you value your privacy, please consider to support this project with a donation or by purchasing pro features.

XPrivacyLua is not a permission manager, but a privacy manager. XPrivacyLua doesn't block things and doesn't revoke permissions, but does replace real data by fake data. This means you can grant Android permissions to an app and still let XPrivacyLua prevent the app from seeing privacy sensitive data. Revoking permissions can result in an app refusing to work and/or to crash. However, replacing real by fake data generally doesn't let an app crash.

Currently restrictions are quite crude because they mostly replace real data by no data. For example restricting the contacts app from getting contacts will result in an empty contact list. In the near future it might be made possible to select the data an app may see, for example just one group of contacts.

About feature requests and bug reports:

The goal is to have a tool that can properly protect the privacy of many in the near future. However, it isn't paid work, so I do whatever I like whenever I like it.

You can request features in this XDA forum. I will read them, but I will not respond to them and they might or might not be implemented. If I know for sure something will not be implemented, I will let you know.

You can report any problem you have here. There will be no issue tracker on GitHub.

For now I have decided to not implement restrictions that are useful to prevent tracking only. There are simply too many data items that can be used for tracking and it would take too much time to develop restrictions for all these data items.

The basic idea is to restrict only things that 'define' you, so which contacts you have, where you are, which apps you use, etc.

Maybe we can widen the definition of things that the core of XPL covers to "What defines you, and what can be used to spie on you"? This would include camera/audio, but not tracking.

XPrivacyLua is pretty feature complete and will be maintained and supported and when there is a need new hook definitions will be added to better protect your privacy. For the rest this FAQ applies:

https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/blob/master/FAQ.md#FAQ4

As said before, development will also depend on Xposed development, which is just minimal unfortunately.

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.

XPrivacyLua is supported with Xposed only. There is no support for VirtualXposed and TaiChi.
    I have just released beta version 0.5 in the Xposed repository.

The XPrivacyLua framework and user interface seems to be stable enough to call this a beta release.

Besides several bug fixes and improvements two new restrictions were added:
    • Read account name, which mostly holds your e-mail address and will be replace by 'privacy@private.com' when restricted
    • Read clipboard, which will be replaced by the text 'Private' when restricted

Furthermore the ability to restrict Android system (be careful!) and to restrict system apps was added. It is possible to restrict all of these individually (XPrivacy could not do that).

Be sure to take a look at the help page in the app again (use the ?-icon), since there were some useful hints added.

If you appreciate what I am building here, please let me know by means of an XDA thanks and/or a donation, so that I don't get the feeling 'What am I doing this for?'.
    I have just released alpha version 0.12 in the Xposed repository.

This version has been redesigned for Android Oreo compatibility. The user interface and the restrictions work properly for me, but be aware that a lot has been changed on the inside ("it is bigger on the inside", lol), also for earlier Android versions. There is one thing I know of that needs improving and that is that the user interface might be updated too often with a lot of restrictions, which might cause delays and hangs. I will look into this tomorrow.

This change was necessary, but it was a lot of work, so XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    I have just released beta version 0.25 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:

With this release XPrivacyLua restriction's can be compared with XPrivacy's. There are now over 100 restriction definitions!

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    @CHEF-KOCH You have been given enough time to respond here. Now I just think it is pretty cowardly to write critical about XPrivacyLua, but not to tell what can actually be improved, especially because you were invited to do so.

I still like to hear how XPrivacyLua can be improved, but I don't want to hear what is wrong with XPrivacyLua. You'll need to keep the scope of XPrivacyLua in mind (in short: privacy, not security), see the opening post and previous discussions about this for more information.

Also, if you really know better, I like to see an original work from your hands to prove that. Actions speak louder than words.

As it is now, you are discouraging one of the few people in the world who really did something substantial to improve privacy on Android. And don't go talking about VPNs, TOR, etc because your private information, like your contacts, will still leak.

I also think you are pretty ungrateful for what I did so far.

To others: if you see someone reference one of his blogs, please reference this comment in response.

Edit: if you agree with this, please add an XDA thanks to this comment, so it will show up in the right column as a reference for others.