Google Maps Issue

Search This thread

marzlol

Apr 6, 2018
Edinburgh
Just thought i would make a threat to address the google maps being laggy / unresponsive.

It can usually be fixed by changing the display to HD+ mode if this was bugging anyone like it was myself.

Reactions: hitpl

hitpl

Apr 1, 2018
Reading
Just thought i would make a threat to address the google maps being laggy / unresponsive.

It can usually be fixed by changing the display to HD+ mode if this was bugging anyone like it was myself.

Thanks, that did help but not ideal. We can't not enjoy the FD+ just because it will slow down Google Maps. Come on Google, sort it out!! :)

mrabcx

Feb 18, 2011
I guess Google blames it on Huawei, and Huawei blames it on Google. The fact remains that these problems were also reported on the Mate 10, 6 months ago and no progress has been made.

nnila

Oct 14, 2010
Good to see it's not just me.
It's laggy as hell for me. Far slower than it was on my LG G4 that I just moved from. So slow and jumpy!

Jan 28, 2014
Same issue here, hopefully either Huawei or Google will fix the issue over next week or so. (I can use the workaround till then but it is mildly annoying)

Highspeed123

May 27, 2013
Swindon
Sony Xperia 1 III
Strange how some people have this issue and others not. Maybe it's region dependent? I have a UK P20 Pro (Three network - dual sim) and I have been using it for navigation for a few days now with no issues. It is pretty much running the same as it did on my Galaxy S8+.

Not noticed lag anywhere so far! Scrolling is better than it was on any of my previous Samsung devices.

My only issue is the stock icons and launcher. It looks too outdated. I'll stick Nova on it soon when I have the time to set it all up.

hitpl

Apr 1, 2018
Reading
Strange how some people have this issue and others not. Maybe it's region dependent? I have a UK P20 Pro (Three network - dual sim) and I have been using it for navigation for a few days now with no issues. It is pretty much running the same as it did on my Galaxy S8+.

Not noticed lag anywhere so far! Scrolling is better than it was on any of my previous Samsung devices.

My only issue is the stock icons and launcher. It looks too outdated. I'll stick Nova on it soon when I have the time to set it all up.

I have the same phone (P20 Pro Dual SIM from Three), though as per one of the previous comments, mine is a CLT-L29 as opposed to CLT-L09. Could that be the reason?

Highspeed123

May 27, 2013
Swindon
Sony Xperia 1 III
I have the same phone (P20 Pro Dual SIM from Three), though as per one of the previous comments, mine is a CLT-L29 as opposed to CLT-L09. Could that be the reason?

What exactly is the issue? Is it terrible lag? I want to understand how bad the situation is and when it happens to see if I can reproduce it.

I have the same model as you, so I find it very strange. Are you using a third party launcher or have you done anything else to your device since you set it up?

Attachments

• PicsArt_04-09-08.58.42.jpg
    PicsArt_04-09-08.58.42.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 641

ch1lko

Jul 21, 2009
Sofia
What exactly is the issue? Is it terrible lag? I want to understand how bad the situation is and when it happens to see if I can reproduce it.

I have the same model as you, so I find it very strange. Are you using a third party launcher or have you done anything else to your device since you set it up?

You can see the glitch here.

daz_2000

May 26, 2011
London
I find this strange also as I have never seen it. In fact maps has been super fast for me. I am dual SIM from three UK. CLT-L29 model

hitpl

Apr 1, 2018
Reading
It is strange. I have tried to uninstall updates and install it again and they didn't seem to work.

The slowness is in the lag when you try to move the map or even when clicking around or when searching.

With FD+ switched off, it seems to work absolutely fine. Just like it did on my Nexus 6P :)

Hopefully, it will be fixed soon, so for now I am just going to live with HD+ setting :(

Lolpoppa

Aug 1, 2012
Northampton
It's poor if it's been a known issue for 6 months. I'm on EE in the UK (see attached) and I feel cheated if I have to change the screen resolution for a mainstream, hugely popular app to work as it should.

It's made me nearly as unhappy as when I discovered that only one of my P20 Pro's speakers were working.

That's not normal, right?! ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180410-181327.jpg
    Screenshot_20180410-181327.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 378

jaju123

Jul 27, 2010
What software build are you guys on? I am on 8.1.0.103 and I have the maps issue. I saw that an online reviewer at android authority was using software 8.1.0.106 and said they were on "beta" software... lol. Am I on alpha then?

Can anyone confirm if maps works on 8.1.0.106?

Lolpoppa

Aug 1, 2012
Northampton
What software build are you guys on? I am on 8.1.0.103 and I have the maps issue. I saw that an online reviewer at android authority was using software 8.1.0.106 and said they were on "beta" software... lol. Am I on alpha then?

Can anyone confirm if maps works on 8.1.0.106?

See attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180410-184042.jpg
    Screenshot_20180410-184042.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 364

lp77

Mar 27, 2016
Looks like maybe the dual sim works (maybe the firmware version)
I'm on 103 on L 09 (UK single sim) and it took me ages to work out why maps wasn't working.

hitpl

Apr 1, 2018
Reading
Hmm, this is even weirder! I am on dual SIM and my firmware version is only 8.1.0.102, which doesn't match with anyone of the versions you are talking above.

I miss my stock android on Nexus already :'(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure about others but after playing around with the resolution, theme and setting. I found out that 'darken interface colour' option in battery setting causes the issue.

After i disable back that option, i found out google maps works fine in any resolution hd or fhd. However, i hope huawei fix that bug cause i love my oled screen to be black.

Yup. Changing to a light display works too. Thanks.

2 scenarios google maps work for me are:
    -dark theme and preinstalled google maps
    -light theme with latest google maps.
    I confirm changing to light fixed google maps. On CLT L29 ver 106
    i can confirm .107 fixed the issue for good