[GUIDE] CWRecovery flashable working Root SperUser for stock ICS 4.0.3

Search This thread

anirudh.pullela

Jan 23, 2011
Ames, Iowa
1. Place the superuser.zip file attached at the end of the post on your sd card.
2. Flash recovery in bootloader with "fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img". I recommend CWM 5.0.2.3 found in this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=988686&highlight=recovery
3. Go to recovery, in "mounts and storage" select "mount system" and then flash su-install.zip (EDIT : Mounting system not necessary, the script does it automatically while flashing the zip, but just in case)
4. Fix Permissions and reboot system.
5. Use any root explorer (i recommend ROM Toolbox, free in market) and go to /etc and either rename "installrecovery.sh" to "installrecovery.sh.old" or just delete it (its not needed).
6. There it is - Rooted ICS with a recovery that sticks.

EDIT -- IF, by any chance, after following the above steps, you find that you're stuck without a recovery (android exclamation screen), just flash a recovery via fastboot and you'll be fine. This time the recovery WILL stick. I think its something to do with the su-install.zip. I dont know for sure because I found it off the internet, its not mine.

Also, I did the superuser market update and I DID NOT lose root. I have an I9020T. So others with the same can safely update, imo.

Thanks to ab.grafix for being a part of the team.

IMPORTANT -- The su-install.zip posted previously is NOT mine. I didnt know who made it but just found out. All credit to dzo binary and Chamb'. I just made a guide coz it worked for me and I thought it might help others too. :)

Tested on I9020T and I9023

Don't forget to click on that thanks button if this helped. :)

UPDATE -- Superuser was updated by ChainsDD to support ICS 4.0.3. Thank you ChainsDD! Updated zip is now attached.

Attachments

• Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
    625.2 KB · Views: 18,026
Last edited:

boykioy

Dec 15, 2010
athens
So now that we have root we need a overclocked kernel...

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

zipredictive

Old cwm? Wich version? Is it possible to flash the latest one with rom manager?
So I am on ICS alpha13.
I9023
- wipe everything and Flash Android 2.3.6/GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader via clockworkmod
- Reboot in stock recovery and flash stock ICS
- Boot in ICS enable debug mode
- Run the bat follow instruction?

Is it ok?
Thanks

Last edited:

AndroidUser00110001

Aug 16, 2011
NYC
Thanks, it worked and nothing was wiped since I was already unlocked. With apps that require root you no longer get asked for root permission nor do they show in app list in superuser but it seems to have root for now :)

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
For the guys using linux (like me :D) , just download the archive in the first post , retrieve from there 2 files: root.zip and recovery.img and use them with your current ADB setup.

HOW-TO:

Prerequisites: you have installed Android SDK, fastboot and you have set-up correctly the udev (ubuntu).

1. Place the above mentioned 2 files in the working directory
2. reboot in bootloader mode (vol-up + power)
3. connect USB cable
4. run "./fastboot-linux-i386 flash recovery recovery.img"
5. reboot bootloader
6. reboot recovery
7. mounts and storage -> usb mass storage
8. copy root.zip in the phone storage
9. go back -> install zip from sd card -> root.zip

DONE !

I just tested and is working fine.

If there are newbies out there trying to understand the nonsense I wrote, try following the rooting guide for Gingerbread and just use the 2 files I mentioned in this post instead of the ones in the archive for gingerbread.

adam900710

Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for your effort.

But I'm curious about the flashable zip file.
What's the difference of the zip file between the orignal superuser ?

And did the recovery do some magic which CWM can't do?

After reading the script , I just see the zip is important ,maybe the recovery is doing some magic too.

I'll just flash the zip and see what happen.

sakisds

Apr 10, 2010
Athens
For the guys using linux (like me :D) , just download the archive in the first post , retrieve from there 2 files: root.zip and recovery.img and use them with your current ADB setup.

HOW-TO:

Prerequisites: you have installed Android SDK, fastboot and you have set-up correctly the udev (ubuntu).

1. Place the above mentioned 2 files in the working directory
2. reboot in bootloader mode (vol-up + power)
3. connect USB cable
4. run "./fastboot-linux-i386 flash recovery recovery.img"
5. reboot bootloader
6. reboot recovery
7. mounts and storage -> usb mass storage
8. copy root.zip in the phone storage
9. go back -> install zip from sd card -> root.zip

DONE !

I just tested and is working fine.

If there are newbies out there trying to understand the nonsense I wrote, try following the rooting guide for Gingerbread and just use the 2 files I mentioned in this post instead of the ones in the archive for gingerbread.

In fact, you can use any recovery image you want, including the latest clockwork for example. I used TWRP to do this and it worked just fine. On linux, just flashed root.zip.

Reactions: ro_explorer

GallStones

Jun 10, 2010
I've done it, thanks a lot. I've also replaced the recovery.img file with the last cmw and all went well.

Now the rom doesn't show the root permission request toast but it works however.

I'd ask if its possible to manually update the superuser.apk or its better to mantain this one?

igor.tonky

Nov 9, 2009
Dnepropetrovsk
thanks, working here on 9023. warning for other users - do not update superuser from the app itself, or it'll stop working. at least it did for me, when i updated it to 3.0.3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Place the superuser.zip file attached at the end of the post on your sd card.
    2. Flash recovery in bootloader with "fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img". I recommend CWM 5.0.2.3 found in this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=988686&highlight=recovery
    3. Go to recovery, in "mounts and storage" select "mount system" and then flash su-install.zip (EDIT : Mounting system not necessary, the script does it automatically while flashing the zip, but just in case)
    4. Fix Permissions and reboot system.
    5. Use any root explorer (i recommend ROM Toolbox, free in market) and go to /etc and either rename "installrecovery.sh" to "installrecovery.sh.old" or just delete it (its not needed).
    6. There it is - Rooted ICS with a recovery that sticks.

EDIT -- IF, by any chance, after following the above steps, you find that you're stuck without a recovery (android exclamation screen), just flash a recovery via fastboot and you'll be fine. This time the recovery WILL stick. I think its something to do with the su-install.zip. I dont know for sure because I found it off the internet, its not mine.

Also, I did the superuser market update and I DID NOT lose root. I have an I9020T. So others with the same can safely update, imo.

Thanks to ab.grafix for being a part of the team.

IMPORTANT -- The su-install.zip posted previously is NOT mine. I didnt know who made it but just found out. All credit to dzo binary and Chamb'. I just made a guide coz it worked for me and I thought it might help others too. :)

Tested on I9020T and I9023

Don't forget to click on that thanks button if this helped. :)

UPDATE -- Superuser was updated by ChainsDD to support ICS 4.0.3. Thank you ChainsDD! Updated zip is now attached.
    Working su binary for official ICS OTA

If you lost your ability to su (the binary only, not the app) with the ICS OTA, flash this in recovery. That is all. Superuser.apk appears to not request permission still, although any apps that were previously allowed *should* continue to be allowed.

working su for official ICS

su binary courtesy of cyanogenmod.
    Attached is a working su binary (that sends the intent to the superuser app correctly), this isn't an installable zip, I'll leave that to somebody else to do.

source is here:

https://github.com/dzo/su-binary

OMG, thank you SOOOO much. Superuser app finally works!

EDIT: Here's the original Superuser-3.0.7 recovery-flashable ZIP file with dzo's 'su' binary replacing ChainsDD's broken one. I re-signed the ZIP file and flashed it and it seems to work. The Superuser app prompts for Allow/Deny access and apps requiring root access seem to work well.
    Attached is a working su binary (that sends the intent to the superuser app correctly), this isn't an installable zip, I'll leave that to somebody else to do.

source is here:

https://github.com/dzo/su-binary
    [INFO] Working root for ICS 4.0.3

Credits to Chamb'.

Flash via CWM and you're done. :D

Tested working for ICS 4.0.3 I9020T.

Enjoy!

Source: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20394635&postcount=4