[RECOVERY][dlx] TWRP 3.0.0-0 touch recovery [2016-02-06]

Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

CHANGELOG for 3.0.0-0:

-Completely new theme - Much more modern and much nicer looking (by z31s1g)
-True Terminal Emulator - Includes arrow keys, tab and tab completion, etc. (by _that)
-Language translation - It won’t be perfect and especially some languages that require large font files like Chinese & Japanese won’t be availble on most devices. Also some languages may only be partially translated at this time. Feel free to submit more translations to OmniROM’s Gerrit. (mostly by Dees_Troy)
-Flashing of sparse images - On select devices you will be able to flash some parts of factory images via the TWRP GUI (by HashBang173)
-Adopted storage support for select devices - TWRP can now decrypt adopted storage partitions from Marshmallow
-Reworked graphics to bring us more up to date with AOSP - includes support for adf and drm graphics (by Dees_Troy)
-SuperSU prompt will no longer display if a Marshmallow ROM is installed
-Update exfat, exfat fuse, dosfstools (by mdmower)
-Update AOSP base to 6.0
-A huge laundry list of other minor fixes and tweaks

WARNING: This is our first release in a long time. We have a lot of new and somewhat aggressive changes in this new release. The changes to the graphics back-end may cause some devices to not boot up properly or have other display-related issues. If you are not in a position to reflash an older build of TWRP, then wait until you are or at least wait until others have tried the new version for your specific device. You don’t want to end up with a non-working recovery and have to wait several hours or days to get to a computer to be able to fix it.

Notes for themers: In addition to the udpated theme, we have introduced a theme version variable to the TWRP theme system. If the theme version does not match the version that TWRP expects, TWRP will reject the custom theme and load its stock theme. This change will ensure that people who update TWRP without updating their theme will still have a workable recovery. We have removed libjpeg support. The stock theme was only using a jpeg image for the splash / curtain. This change means that any custom themes will no longer be able to use jpeg images. It also means that tools used to repack recovery images with a different curtain / splash will need to be updated to use the new method.

Version number notes: For a while we’ve been using a 4 digit version number and reserved the 4th digit for device-specific updates. For instance, we find and fix a device-specific issue like decryption of data on Nexus 5, we would release that as a 2.8.7.1. After a while, some people would start asking where 2.8.7.1 was for other devices. So, going forward we have decided to change the numbering scheme to 3.0.0-2, etc. Our hope is that this version numbering scheme will more clearly identify that the 4th digit does not indicate a version change for the code base.

We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by 3 people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!

CHANGELOG for 2.8.7.0:

-Initial ground work for software drawn keyboard (_that)
-Fix handling of wiping internal storage on datamedia devices (xuefer)
-Allow DataManager to set and read values from the system properties (xuefer)
-Fix crash when taking screenshots on arm64 devices (xuefer)
-Fix error message after an ORS script completes (Dees_Troy)
-Fix crashes / error when creating encrypted backups (_that, Dees_Troy)
-Add system read only option – more details below (Dees_Troy)
-Add resize2fs and GUI option to run resize2fs (Dees_Troy)
-Fix crash loop caused by empty lines in AOSP recovery command file (_that)
-Prevent duplicate page overlays such as multiple lock screens (mdmower)

Note: As always, be sure your custom theme is up to date (or remove your custom theme) before updating TWRP.

System read only option: Devices that ship with 5.0 and higher as their initial OS are using block level OTA updates. With this style of OTA update, the update script checks to see if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. Further, the script also usually runs an SHA sum of the entire system partition to detect if any changes have been made. If any changes have been made, the OTA update will refuse to install. Since not all OEMs and devices have factory images available, we have created a new feature in TWRP that detects if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. If not, you will be prompted asking if you want TWRP to mount system as read/write. If you choose not to allow TWRP to mount as read/write, TWRP won’t prompt to install SuperSU and TWRP won’t try to patch the stock ROM to prevent TWRP from being replaced by stock recovery. The goal of this option is to hopefully allow the user to make a raw system image backup that they can use to get back to a state where they can take OTA updates again.

resize2fs feature: On some devices like the Nexus 6, the factory images include a userdata image that is the proper size only for the 32GB units. If you flash the factory image to a 64GB Nexus 6, the data partition will appear as if it only has the free space of a 32GB device. Using the resize2fs option, TWRP can resize your data partition to take up the full space available. The resize2fs may also be useful to resize system partitions on devices where custom ROM system images don’t take up the full partition space. Lastly, resize2fs may be useful in some cases to reserve the proper space at the end of a data partition for a full disk encryption key, should your partition be formatted incorrectly for some reason.

This new version also marks our first set of full builds using our new jenkins build server. You can track the progress of builds at https://jenkins.twrp.me and we have taken additional steps to make it easier for device maintainers to step up and submit patches to our gerrit server at https://gerrit.twrp.me to help us keep devices up to date and working.

DOWNLOAD:
Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed
1) Download the latest version from our website on your device
2) Reboot to TWRP
3) Hit Install and tap the "Images..." button in the lower right
4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
OR:
You can find more information and download links on our NEW website! NOTE that the 2.8.6.0 version is ONLY available on our new site and is not available on our other, older mirrors!

BUGS:
If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Last edited:

jonah1234

May 29, 2012
Thanks to Dr_Drache for testing for me!

Team Win Recovery Project 2.3, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.3.2.0:
-Fixes / enhancements to handle the multiple user setup introduced by Android 4.2 (see notes)
-Fixed a bug with deleting a backup with a space in the name
-Added highlights on keyboard key presses

CHANGELOG for 2.3.1.0:
-Unmount system after boot to prevent some status 7 symlink failed errors on zip install
-USB Mass Storage code improvements
-Better handling of mounting storage during boot for some devices
-Fixed a problem with sizes of images (boot & recovery) after resetting defaults
-Fixed size errors during backup for some devices on recovery, etc.
-Fixed a problem with restoring backups when multiple archives were present

CHANGELOG for 2.3.0.0:
-Rebased onto AOSP Jelly Bean source code
-Rewrote backup, restore, wipe, and mount code in C++ classes for easier maintenance going forward
NOTE: backups from prior versions of TWRP are still compatible with 2.3
-ADB sideload functionality from AOSP is included in 2.3, see this link for more info
-Re-wrote fix permissions entirely in C++ and runs in a few seconds instead of a few minutes (thanks to bigbiff)
-Improvements to zip finding in OpenRecoveryScript (should be a lot fewer GooManager automation issues)
-Faster boot times
-Added charging indicator while in recovery (only updates once every 60 seconds)

While this update may not bring a host of new must-have features, this update is a significant re-write of much of the core TWRP code. AOSP Jelly Bean recovery source moved to mostly C++ code and now all of the "TWRP" code is fully rewritten into C++ as well. Now that we've laid this groundwork, we're in a much better position to pull in future AOSP recovery updates as well as implementing more great new features.

Since TWRP 2.3 is based on AOSP jelly bean sources, TWRP now uses recovery API 3 instead of 2. Some zips may no longer work if the developer is using an out-of-date update-binary. This API change should not be a problem on newer devices, but older devices will probably encounter several zips that need to be updated. If needed, you can try using this update-binary that was compiled with current sources. It goes in your zip file in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

DOWNLOAD:
The fastest and easiest way to install TWRP is to use the GooManager app:
Play Store Link
Direct Download
1) Install GooManager from the Play Store
2) Open GooManager and provide root permissions
3) Hit Menu (or the button with the 3 dots on your screen) and then Install OpenRecovery
OR:
You can find more information and download links on our website!

BUGS:
If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 30 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Sweet thanks.

Sent from my CM9 HTC Thunderbolt from Tapatalk 2.4

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
Note, I forgot to have Dr_Drache test off-mode charging. Can someone install this, turn the device completely off, then plug it into a charger. The charge light should come on, maybe blink once or twice, but after about 2 minutes, the charge light should stay on without blinking anymore. Please let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: WEM97

vinylfreak89

May 6, 2010
Note, I forgot to have Dr_Drache test off-mode charging. Can someone install this, turn the device completely off, then plug it into a charger. The charge light should come on, maybe blink once or twice, but after about 2 minutes, the charge light should stay on without blinking anymore. Please let me know!

Off mode charging is fine

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

iOSh8er

Dec 30, 2010
Hephzibah
I've ran into some trouble with mine. I have created three backups, each with slight differences to system, trying some things out on the ROM. The lase edit was the build.prop. It wouldn't boot so I went to Recovery to restore one of my backups. When it is a good 10 seconds into restoring system, the progress bar stops turning and it reboots. Each time I try this it seems to stop at a slightly different point into the system restore. Most of the time it wont go far enough to allow boot, just the splash screen and then it automatically boots into TWRP.

All of that is ok, and I could get around it, but now my phone is dead! Any suggestions?

*Edit* Got it guys. I was able to use the USB charger from my TPrime and it charged in TWRP. After it charged a bit I was able to fastboot flash TWRP again and restore one of the backups. I'm not sure how it became corrupted, but its all good now!

Last edited:

jonah1234

May 29, 2012
I don't have a DNA or any other 1080 * 1920 device that uses a portrait layout (no rotation in recovery). I am unable to do the upscale myself. There's a theme guide on our website if someone wants to to do it.

Alright I will give that a try later today.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
For some reason I can't make backups anymore. It gets about a quarter way, then reboots. I tried cwm..and same issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Deuces

Jun 4, 2009
Houston
it has rebooted on me during a backup as well. i tried again and was successful, but there definitely seems to be a bug somewhere

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest
Hello,

Definitely a bug, seems that after the first successful backup unit will no longer get past the system file.

UPDATE, your backups will complete if you do not change the name. Leave it as the date or default name If this does not work for you the only other thing I have done since it was rebooting was to install/update busybox. This may also work for those who are restoring backups and getting the reboot...did you change the file name? Whatever I am sure it is just a temp bug that will be fixed soon as well as the layout.

Cheers

Last edited:

Deuces

Jun 4, 2009
Houston
Hello,

Definitely a bug, seems that after the first successful backup unit will no longer get past the system file.

UPDATE, your backups will complete if you do not change the name. Leave it as the date or default name If this does not work for you the only other thing I have done since it was rebooting was to install/update busybox. This may also work for those who are restoring backups and getting the reboot...did you change the file name? Whatever I am sure it is just a temp bug that will be fixed soon as well as the layout.

Cheers

I have backups failing when not changing the name as well. Bug happens either way.

After several attempts I am eventually able to get a good backup, but it fails more often than it completes.

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest
I have backups failing when not changing the name as well. Bug happens either way.

After several attempts I am eventually able to get a good backup, but it fails more often than it completes.

Interesting, obviously this needs a bit of work. I have not tried to make another one, I have been spending time modding the factory shipped rom. There are so many features hidden by Verizon. Also there is something running in the background that eats our batteries. Hard to start cranking on a rom without a reliable recovery. I sent a note over on the TWRP website, hopefully someone will have some ideas. On the size issue has anyone tried using a TWRP skin from one of the 1080p tablets?

Cheers

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest
Have you looked into using one of the 1080p tablet themes? I plan on doing that tonight.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest

Hello,

Actually a big NO on that...this recovery isn't even recognizing the THEME folder? It seems this has a few bugs to iron out. I looked at pulling the resource the other day and building a new one but I can't seem to find a reliable git for the DNA? If anyone knows of one please let me know and I will pull the files late tonight. I am not a DEV by all means but have been building for multiple devices for over two years and have a smoking build machine. I am not comfortable working on any roms until we have a solid recovery. Don't get me wrong, this does backup after a few tries but what I am worried about is a fail when trying to restore. I have read where Clockwork it the same way, seems to have something to do with the partitions?

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

CHANGELOG for 3.0.0-0:

-Completely new theme - Much more modern and much nicer looking (by z31s1g)
    -True Terminal Emulator - Includes arrow keys, tab and tab completion, etc. (by _that)
    -Language translation - It won’t be perfect and especially some languages that require large font files like Chinese & Japanese won’t be availble on most devices. Also some languages may only be partially translated at this time. Feel free to submit more translations to OmniROM’s Gerrit. (mostly by Dees_Troy)
    -Flashing of sparse images - On select devices you will be able to flash some parts of factory images via the TWRP GUI (by HashBang173)
    -Adopted storage support for select devices - TWRP can now decrypt adopted storage partitions from Marshmallow
    -Reworked graphics to bring us more up to date with AOSP - includes support for adf and drm graphics (by Dees_Troy)
    -SuperSU prompt will no longer display if a Marshmallow ROM is installed
    -Update exfat, exfat fuse, dosfstools (by mdmower)
    -Update AOSP base to 6.0
    -A huge laundry list of other minor fixes and tweaks

WARNING: This is our first release in a long time. We have a lot of new and somewhat aggressive changes in this new release. The changes to the graphics back-end may cause some devices to not boot up properly or have other display-related issues. If you are not in a position to reflash an older build of TWRP, then wait until you are or at least wait until others have tried the new version for your specific device. You don’t want to end up with a non-working recovery and have to wait several hours or days to get to a computer to be able to fix it.

Notes for themers: In addition to the udpated theme, we have introduced a theme version variable to the TWRP theme system. If the theme version does not match the version that TWRP expects, TWRP will reject the custom theme and load its stock theme. This change will ensure that people who update TWRP without updating their theme will still have a workable recovery. We have removed libjpeg support. The stock theme was only using a jpeg image for the splash / curtain. This change means that any custom themes will no longer be able to use jpeg images. It also means that tools used to repack recovery images with a different curtain / splash will need to be updated to use the new method.

Version number notes: For a while we’ve been using a 4 digit version number and reserved the 4th digit for device-specific updates. For instance, we find and fix a device-specific issue like decryption of data on Nexus 5, we would release that as a 2.8.7.1. After a while, some people would start asking where 2.8.7.1 was for other devices. So, going forward we have decided to change the numbering scheme to 3.0.0-2, etc. Our hope is that this version numbering scheme will more clearly identify that the 4th digit does not indicate a version change for the code base.

We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by 3 people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!

CHANGELOG for 2.8.7.0:

-Initial ground work for software drawn keyboard (_that)
    -Fix handling of wiping internal storage on datamedia devices (xuefer)
    -Allow DataManager to set and read values from the system properties (xuefer)
    -Fix crash when taking screenshots on arm64 devices (xuefer)
    -Fix error message after an ORS script completes (Dees_Troy)
    -Fix crashes / error when creating encrypted backups (_that, Dees_Troy)
    -Add system read only option – more details below (Dees_Troy)
    -Add resize2fs and GUI option to run resize2fs (Dees_Troy)
    -Fix crash loop caused by empty lines in AOSP recovery command file (_that)
    -Prevent duplicate page overlays such as multiple lock screens (mdmower)

Note: As always, be sure your custom theme is up to date (or remove your custom theme) before updating TWRP.

System read only option: Devices that ship with 5.0 and higher as their initial OS are using block level OTA updates. With this style of OTA update, the update script checks to see if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. Further, the script also usually runs an SHA sum of the entire system partition to detect if any changes have been made. If any changes have been made, the OTA update will refuse to install. Since not all OEMs and devices have factory images available, we have created a new feature in TWRP that detects if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. If not, you will be prompted asking if you want TWRP to mount system as read/write. If you choose not to allow TWRP to mount as read/write, TWRP won’t prompt to install SuperSU and TWRP won’t try to patch the stock ROM to prevent TWRP from being replaced by stock recovery. The goal of this option is to hopefully allow the user to make a raw system image backup that they can use to get back to a state where they can take OTA updates again.

resize2fs feature: On some devices like the Nexus 6, the factory images include a userdata image that is the proper size only for the 32GB units. If you flash the factory image to a 64GB Nexus 6, the data partition will appear as if it only has the free space of a 32GB device. Using the resize2fs option, TWRP can resize your data partition to take up the full space available. The resize2fs may also be useful to resize system partitions on devices where custom ROM system images don’t take up the full partition space. Lastly, resize2fs may be useful in some cases to reserve the proper space at the end of a data partition for a full disk encryption key, should your partition be formatted incorrectly for some reason.

This new version also marks our first set of full builds using our new jenkins build server. You can track the progress of builds at https://jenkins.twrp.me and we have taken additional steps to make it easier for device maintainers to step up and submit patches to our gerrit server at https://gerrit.twrp.me to help us keep devices up to date and working.

DOWNLOAD:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed
    1) Download the latest version from our website on your device
    2) Reboot to TWRP
    3) Hit Install and tap the "Images..." button in the lower right
    4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our NEW website! NOTE that the 2.8.6.0 version is ONLY available on our new site and is not available on our other, older mirrors!

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.4.4.0 touch recovery [2013-03-12]
    Okay, here it is. This is built with the current cm11 kernel. I fixed the small font problem everything flashes, backs up, and restores fine.

TWRP 2.7 Beta
    [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.5.0.0 touch recovery [2013-04-09]
    Twrp resized!!!

Well I messed around and finally sat down and re-sized everything for the DNA :)

Looky here!! All the touches/buttons work. Just need to size up a few images and viola!!

uploadfromtaptalk1356053306567.jpguploadfromtaptalk1356053323813.jpguploadfromtaptalk1356053350341.jpguploadfromtaptalk1356053360741.jpguploadfromtaptalk1356053372781.jpg

Sent from my -HTC ReZound-