[Q] GT-I9305: Problems After CF Root on 4.3

Search This thread

Helmanfrow

Jan 14, 2014
Hey, folks.

First-time listener, first-time caller.

My Galaxy SIII GT-I9305 originates from Hong Kong.
When I bought it (used, on Kijiji) it was running 4.1.2
When 4.3 finally became available for this model a couple of weeks ago I bit the bullet and installed it using Kies.
I knew 4.3 had issues but I went ahead anyway because I live dangerously, dontcha know.

Today I decided I wanted root so, instead of taking my time and reading the sage advice of kind people like you I jumped right in with ODIN and Chainfire using Instructions I found on these forums and elsewhere.

The rooting procedure seemed to go off without a hitch. Then the phone booted up. Then this started happening:
attachment.php

Selecting "Update" brings me to this:
attachment.php

And anything I do that requires root gives me this:
attachment.php

I tried re-rooting using a different version of ODIN to no avail.

Posters in other threads suggested re-installing SuperSU.
I tried executing superuser.apk using ES File Explorer and got this:
attachment.php

Incidentally, in Download Mode I can see that I've triggerd the Knox Void Warranty Flag, not that I have a warranty.

At this point I just want to get my phone to work as it did with stock 4.3.

What's my quickest route there?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-14-19-28-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-14-19-28-38.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 3,636
  • Screenshot_2014-01-14-21-05-57.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-14-21-05-57.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,511
  • Screenshot_2014-01-14-22-39-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-14-22-39-40.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,527
  • Screenshot_2014-01-14-23-14-33.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-14-23-14-33.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 3,406
Last edited:
Reactions: Mustafa_180

Helmanfrow

Jan 14, 2014
I don't think the root operation was successful; the Root Checker apps I downloaded hang when I check. I tried launching Titanium Backup and it hangs, too, at "Asking for root rights".

In fact, any time I launch any app that needs root I get the Security Information warning as in my first screenshot.

I don't know how to upgrade SuperSU.
The Play Store says it's already installed, and I see no way to uninstall it.

Fails in recovery format system cache data and sdcard.
Sorry, the meaning of this statement is unclear to me.

Boot to download mode flash stock rom via Odin.
Are you suggesting this as a last resort?

I downloaded what looks like the right firmware from sammobile.com. Is that a reliable source?

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Helmanfrow

Jan 14, 2014
Custom recovery.
Mounts ans storage
Format = wipes all data .

I don't have a custom recovery installed. Should I install one? TWRP?
Mounts and storage? What do you mean by that?
Format? As in I should boot into recovery and choose "wipe data/factory reset"? Can't I do that from stock recovery?

Is this something I have to do before I flash the stock firmware? After?

I'm really confused.

p.s. as it turns out the download from sammobile's host, terrafile, has failed six or seven times now. Are there any mirrors?

elektronchika

Sep 27, 2012
Rooting is not working withe. The same problem as post 1 has. What is going on with these phones...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

PhilCapron

Dec 26, 2011
Root problem

I too had root problems-rooting OK and then losing it on a restart.This is a GT-I9305 LTE,XXUEMLl5 EE UK firmware and Cf Auto root downloaded from Chainfire's site.I did find 2 versions of the Autoroot file slightly different sizes but both work (up to a point-read on).
So,initially installed 4.3 firmware with PC Odin and Autorooted with same setup.Here's the first catch.As stated by Chainfire,the phone should reboot into stock recovery.If it doesn't you need to do this "manually" and then just reboot-see Chainfire thread.2nd catch.I read somewhere that "Fix permissions" could upset the rooting process,so I wouldn't do that whilst in stock recovery at this stage.
You now should have a rooted firmware but my problem was that if I restarted I would lose the root
My solution was to use Mobile Odin Pro.I know it costs but it did work for me and that make's it worth every penny.Read on.
Whilst you've still got root install the firmware again with MO Pro.This installs root and SuperSu using Everoot.Reinstalling the Supersu or upgrading will possibly tell you that your SU Binary needs updating.When I tried "Normal" it didn't work.At the moment you don't have custom recovery installed,so using MO Pro again install TWRP using their "Open recovery tar" and try updating SU by selecting TWRP/CWM.When script has installed reboot and no more prompt to update binary.I didn't try CWM.Read somewhere it might not work.TWRP does.
Now I have a rooted phone with stock 4.3 on it.Root survives a restart and much use removing all the bloatware that Samsung provide for us.
But that's another story.
I hope this post helps those with root problems.Going through the stages above,working,not working,took a long time but I do now have a rock solid fast 4.3 phone.
Anyone fancy a KitKat?
P.S.Just booted the phone into TWRP and tried fixing permissions.Thankfully still have root but it had a think about it!

Helmanfrow

Jan 14, 2014
Good news:
I managed to update SuperSU— not through Play store but using the superuser.apk file from Chainfire's 1.89 update. It's funny because the version already installed was 1.89.*
I extracted the apk from the package, put it on my external SD card and launched the file using ES File Explorer.
What's also interesting is that I had to try this several times before it worked. Somewhere along the way I also wiped the phone's cache in (stock) recovery mode, although I can't, this morning, recall whether I did that immediately prior to the successful update, although it was definitely some time prior.

*I guess it's not unlike in Windows, when, say, a NIC stops working suddenly, usually a quick driver reinstallation does the trick.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, folks.

First-time listener, first-time caller.

My Galaxy SIII GT-I9305 originates from Hong Kong.
    When I bought it (used, on Kijiji) it was running 4.1.2
    When 4.3 finally became available for this model a couple of weeks ago I bit the bullet and installed it using Kies.
    I knew 4.3 had issues but I went ahead anyway because I live dangerously, dontcha know.

Today I decided I wanted root so, instead of taking my time and reading the sage advice of kind people like you I jumped right in with ODIN and Chainfire using Instructions I found on these forums and elsewhere.

The rooting procedure seemed to go off without a hitch. Then the phone booted up. Then this started happening:
    attachment.php

Selecting "Update" brings me to this:
    attachment.php

And anything I do that requires root gives me this:
    attachment.php

I tried re-rooting using a different version of ODIN to no avail.

Posters in other threads suggested re-installing SuperSU.
    I tried executing superuser.apk using ES File Explorer and got this:
    attachment.php

Incidentally, in Download Mode I can see that I've triggerd the Knox Void Warranty Flag, not that I have a warranty.

At this point I just want to get my phone to work as it did with stock 4.3.

What's my quickest route there?