[Q] New Phone Time

Search This thread

mben1287

Mar 9, 2011
Hey so I have received an upgrade for a free 4G LTE phone from Verizon. I wanted to take any suggestions as to getting a Galaxy Nexus or a Droid Razr Maxx(for battery life). I root my phones so stock software is not an issue for me. I would also like to wait for the galaxy SIII but seeing as I am low on money might just have to take the free phone. Thanks for the suggestions also any other phone ideas would be welcome must be 4g LTE though.

P.S. will donate my Dinc to a developer when I get a new phone. Seeing as the developers have been great to me with AMAZING rom support.

bukithd

Jun 26, 2011
Virginia
Hey so I have received an upgrade for a free 4G LTE phone from Verizon. I wanted to take any suggestions as to getting a Galaxy Nexus or a Droid Razr Maxx(for battery life). I root my phones so stock software is not an issue for me. I would also like to wait for the galaxy SIII but seeing as I am low on money might just have to take the free phone. Thanks for the suggestions also any other phone ideas would be welcome must be 4g LTE though.

P.S. will donate my Dinc to a developer when I get a new phone. Seeing as the developers have been great to me with AMAZING rom support.

Go with the rezound its only $50 bucks I believe to upgrade to

KrisPeezy

Feb 14, 2011
So.Cal
Rezound also has great devs that used to have the Inc.

I'm waiting for the Dinc 4g and it's S4 processor :) rumored to be released next week..

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
I love Galaxy Nexus and it has great devs from multiple phones so you get such a variety and a huge ROM community.

Razr Maxx may be a while before true root is obtained as Motorola loves to lockdown their bootloaders.

I'm waiting for the Incredible 4G, but if you're strapped for cash then the Rezound should serve you well. Keep in mind, Verizon will be instituting an extra $30 charge to upgrade (regardless of the price of the phone) starting on 4/22 so you better act quick if you want the Rezound for $50. That said, if you can scrounge up the dough, the Incredible 4G will be a much nicer phone (as long as you're OK with the screen size).

I just replaced my Incredible with one of the $50 Rezounds and I'm loving it. The Devs are kicking out some awesome ROMs for it.

The Incredible 4G doesn't seem like it would be a massive upgrade from the Rezound. From everything I could find on expected specs:

Dual Core 1.5ghz S3 -> Dual Core 1.2ghz S4
16gb internal storage -> 8gb
720p 1280x720 screen -> qHD 960x540 screen
GB w/ Sense 3.5 -> ICS w/ Sense 4.0 (of course, the stock ROM is only relevant for the first 20 minutes or so of ownership ;))

I can't comment on the performance difference between the two chips, but after spending a week or so with the Rezound's 720p screen, I'm not too excited about giving it up. Am I missing something here?

Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but I like having 4 soft buttons too. I use all four frequently.

Last edited:

mben1287

Mar 9, 2011
Wound up going with the droid razr maxx. Since i use so mich data they said any 4g phone free. I just had to pay $20 upgrade fee. Must say almost a day in n its a pretty slick phone havent had a chance to check out roms, just rooted ot last night n now im working all day.

I just replaced my Incredible with one of the $50 Rezounds and I'm loving it. The Devs are kicking out some awesome ROMs for it.

The Incredible 4G doesn't seem like it would be a massive upgrade from the Rezound. From everything I could find on expected specs:

Dual Core 1.5ghz S3 -> Dual Core 1.2ghz S4
16gb internal storage -> 8gb
720p 1280x720 screen -> qHD 960x540 screen
GB w/ Sense 3.5 -> ICS w/ Sense 4.0 (of course, the stock ROM is only relevant for the first 20 minutes or so of ownership ;))

I can't comment on the performance difference between the two chips, but after spending a week or so with the Rezound's 720p screen, I'm not too excited about giving it up. Am I missing something here?

Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but I like having 4 soft buttons too. I use all four frequently.

I have to disagree... the Inc 4G is a massive upgrade over the Rezound (again, unless the 4" screen is a non starter).

• The difference performance-wise from the S3 to the S4 should be like night and day.
  • The S4 will also greatly improve battery life, so it's a double plus.
  • The camera on the Incredible 4G should be amazing. Initial reports from the people who have supplied the leaked photos suggest that it will likely have the same caliber camera as on the One X/S series.
  • In addition to the performance, features, and battery gains, it will also be thinner and lighter than the Rezound (which IMHO is a bit brick-ish)
  • The Inc 4G also has NFC and Bluetooth 4.0. These may not be important for someone today, but they may be good to have if you plan on keeping your phone for the full 2 year contract (as I imagine most people do)
  • I think the ICS/Sense 4 without having to root is a big plus too. It may not be as important for folks here on xda, but as far as recommending phones to others goes... that is big. Even here on XDA, I imagine I'm probably not the only person who waits for the warranty to expire before messing around with rooting and such.

Yes, the Rezound does have bigger internal storage, but microSD cards are super cheap so it's not really a factor. Most phones that support microSD (the Incr 4G does too) support up to 32GB on the card, so you can get up to 40GB on the Inc 4G. Sure, that means you can get 48 with the Rezound, but I'm guessing only a small percentage of people fall into the 40GB isn't enough, but 48GB is camp.

Really, the only reason why anyone should get the Rezound is for the screen or the price. Price is the only reason I even mentioned it in the first place (because the OP wanted to save some money). FWIW though, rumors on the price of the Inc 4G put it perhaps at $150, which even after Verizon's new $30 upgrade charge would be less than the original Inc cost.

Not trying to hate on the Rezound... it's a great phone. I'm just taking issue with the "doesn't seem like it would be a massive upgrade " part of the comment. As long as you're OK with the 4" screen (which a lot of people are, and a lot of people have been begging for) then the Rezound doesn't even compare.

EDIT: I'm with you on the 4 buttons though. I don't really care about menu that much, since most devs are starting to get with the program and include the menu option on screen (via action bar overflow, or some other method). The loss of the search button, though, is devastating. It essentially killed Google Voice Actions for me. I would've rather seen on-screen buttons than the cap buttons. That way, devs could add my search button back in for me.

Last edited:

mben1287

Mar 9, 2011
Yes the Rezound was on my list of possibilites... I wanted to wait and see the Galaxy SIII if Verizon gets it and the Inc 4G, but the issue was the voucher I got didn't have an expiration date and I didn't want it to expire and wind up having to pay full price for a phone. So since Verizon loved me eating up all their 3G data they gave me a $300 dollar Razr Maxx FO FREE!

I have to disagree... the Inc 4G is a massive upgrade over the Rezound (again, unless the 4" screen is a non starter).

• The difference performance-wise from the S3 to the S4 should be like night and day.
  • The S4 will also greatly improve battery life, so it's a double plus.
  • The camera on the Incredible 4G should be amazing. Initial reports from the people who have supplied the leaked photos suggest that it will likely have the same caliber camera as on the One X/S series.
  • In addition to the performance, features, and battery gains, it will also be thinner and lighter than the Rezound (which IMHO is a bit brick-ish)
  • The Inc 4G also has NFC and Bluetooth 4.0. These may not be important for someone today, but they may be good to have if you plan on keeping your phone for the full 2 year contract (as I imagine most people do)
  • I think the ICS/Sense 4 without having to root is a big plus too. It may not be as important for folks here on xda, but as far as recommending phones to others goes... that is big. Even here on XDA, I imagine I'm probably not the only person who waits for the warranty to expire before messing around with rooting and such.

Yes, the Rezound does have bigger internal storage, but microSD cards are super cheap so it's not really a factor. Most phones that support microSD (the Incr 4G does too) support up to 32GB on the card, so you can get up to 40GB on the Inc 4G. Sure, that means you can get 48 with the Rezound, but I'm guessing only a small percentage of people fall into the 40GB isn't enough, but 48GB is camp.

Really, the only reason why anyone should get the Rezound is for the screen or the price. Price is the only reason I even mentioned it in the first place (because the OP wanted to save some money). FWIW though, rumors on the price of the Inc 4G put it perhaps at $150, which even after Verizon's new $30 upgrade charge would be less than the original Inc cost.

Not trying to hate on the Rezound... it's a great phone. I'm just taking issue with the "doesn't seem like it would be a massive upgrade " part of the comment. As long as you're OK with the 4" screen (which a lot of people are, and a lot of people have been begging for) then the Rezound doesn't even compare.

EDIT: I'm with you on the 4 buttons though. I don't really care about menu that much, since most devs are starting to get with the program and include the menu option on screen (via action bar overflow, or some other method). The loss of the search button, though, is devastating. It essentially killed Google Voice Actions for me. I would've rather seen on-screen buttons than the cap buttons. That way, devs could add my search button back in for me.

My previous post and the line you quoted wasn't intending to diminish the Incredible 4G, more to ask what I was missing. A lot of the items you listed like performance gains, battery life, size and feel are hard to get a feel for "how much" from reading the quick previews on Engadget and the like, especially given my perspective of feeling the Rezound is so much faster with such a nicer screen compared to the original Incredible I just replaced.

I mostly questioned how much of an upgrade it would be when I read about the screen resolution, being one of the things that impresses me most about the Rezound. There is obviously more to the story.

Thank you for the insight.

My previous post and the line you quoted wasn't intending to diminish the Incredible 4G, more to ask what I was missing. A lot of the items you listed like performance gains, battery life, size and feel are hard to get a feel for "how much" from reading the quick previews on Engadget and the like, especially given my perspective of feeling the Rezound is so much faster with such a nicer screen compared to the original Incredible I just replaced.

I mostly questioned how much of an upgrade it would be when I read about the screen resolution, being one of the things that impresses me most about the Rezound. There is obviously more to the story.

Thank you for the insight.

Yea, coming from the original Incredible even the S3 in the Rezound is pretty mind-blowing. The S4 should give a little bit of future-proofing though, which is good when you're locked into a two year contract.

Yes the Rezound was on my list of possibilites... I wanted to wait and see the Galaxy SIII if Verizon gets it and the Inc 4G, but the issue was the voucher I got didn't have an expiration date and I didn't want it to expire and wind up having to pay full price for a phone. So since Verizon loved me eating up all their 3G data they gave me a $300 dollar Razr Maxx FO FREE!

FO FREE is definitely a good price :D

Last edited: