Galaxy Mega 6.3 Sprint Version : SPH-L600 Stock firmwares with root: Flashable Zips

Search This thread

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
I do not own this phone.

This thread will provide custom recovery ( CWM/TWRP ) flashable zip files of the stock frmware without knox software. This way you need not upgrade using OTA and hence will be able to move between stock and custom firmware if need to.

If you use OTA to upgrade to the latest firmware, your bootloader will be upgraded to facilitate knox. Once updated there is no going back. The roms in this thread will help you overcome this issue.

The only prerequisite is that you are not already running a knox enabled bootloader. You can find this out by going into download mode and checking if knox entries are shown in bootloader screen.

You will have the following advantages.

• Bootloader is not touched, hence any compatible rom can be flashed, including custom roms
  • Only Samsung knox files are removed
  • Root & Busybox
  • Stock kernel
  • Deodexed
  • Zipaligned

Procedure
  • Download the Odin version of Philz recovery or my custom twrp recovery and flash.
  • Reboot to recovery first else custom recovery will be replaced by stock recovery.
  • Flash the ROM zip file
  • Reboot and Njoy...
As an additional step, you can flash the modem that comes with the ROM. The procedure to flash the modem is given below.
  • Use Odin v3.04
  • Untick Autoreboot
  • Flash modem
  • Reboot once again into Download Mode using (Vol Down plus Home button combi)
  • Flash Modem once more
  • Once done,unplug then reboot device manually.
  • If this doesn't work, try repeating the flash process again while rebooting manually and with auto-reboot option turned off.

Downloads

All files can be downloaded from my Mega folder. Choose the mega link and select SPH-L600 STOCK FIRMWARE folder. MD5 hash values are available in a separate file inside the folder.

Credits
@dsixda for creating android kitchen which makes it so easy to create a stock rom in zip format. I modified the kitchen to make it compatible with the Mega...

@MikeyMike for testing the build....

Last edited:

MikeyLee

Jul 20, 2010
Phoenix
Happened to me first time around after I had flashed the modem. I wasnt able to get the rom to flash in stock recovery. Once I flashed Philz recovery then the deodex rom all was good to go

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

DWAYN3

Feb 6, 2006
Happened to me first time around after I had flashed the modem. I wasnt able to get the rom to flash in stock recovery. Once I flashed Philz recovery then the deodex rom all was good to go

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

can you give me the link , or point me in the direction I should be to find that?

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

I'm using TWRP btw

MikeyLee

Jul 20, 2010
Phoenix
can you give me the link , or point me in the direction I should be to find that?

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

I'm using TWRP btw

The download links are here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588661
Use the one named Galaxy Mega i9205 (meliusltexx) for Sprint I used the Odin Tar file and it worked perfectly. From there I flashed the Deodex ROM

Reactions: seanroot

crcook60

Oct 30, 2011
Guangzhou, Guangdong China
The download links are here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588661
Use the one named Galaxy Mega i9205 (meliusltexx) for Sprint I used the Odin Tar file and it worked perfectly. From there I flashed the Deodex ROM
Did this last night all went well. Grabbed the Philz and then flashed the stock rom, but didn't flash the modem.
@Silesh.Nair Thanks so much for the work and resources. Are the roms in your Mega folder compatible with this device? So very grateful that some development is finally occurring for the Sprint variant.
Carl

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
Most of them work, but you need to make a few changes to get data/lte working....

Sent from my GT_I9205 using Tapatalk

crcook60

Oct 30, 2011
Thanks @crcook60. U know the reason... :)

You're welcome, of course.
c

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

https://db.tt/OPdM7Ghs switch from wcdma to CDMA. LTE works but no phone calls or texts out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium

Interesting. Kind of need to do outbound calls and texts. Ha!
c

Reactions: zay2046

crcook60

Oct 30, 2011
You're welcome, of course.
c

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Interesting. Kind of need to do outbound calls and texts. Ha!
c
Well now that I'm over being a wise guy, I think what I'm reading is that with this apk you can do outbound calls and texts, just not on LTE. Is that correct? And is the phone apk rom specific? Like so many others, I'm guessing, I'm really itching to ditch the Sprint stock rom. But wait... just this second for the umpteenth time my phone is telling me that I have left the network with roaming turned off (sitting in my living room, smack dab in the middle of an LTE coverage area.) This is killing me!! Haha!!
Carl

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
You shouldn't have this problem on a stock ROM. I suggest you flash the modem that came with the ROM. Its available as a separate Odin flashable tar file.

crcook60

Oct 30, 2011
You shouldn't have this problem on a stock ROM. I suggest you flash the modem that came with the ROM. Its available as a separate Odin flashable tar file.

Yeah that's what I think. I downloaded it the other day so I'll do that this morning. As an aside, I really need to dig in and learn how to do this (cook/build,) but I'm a school teacher with almost no time to devote to my own education in this regard. I have been looking around at some of the guides but there is some much information that I'm not really sure where to start (suggestions?). I tend to be a bit obsessive/compulsive when it comes to technology, so much so that my friends and family often start to wonder "what happened to me." I imagine others can relate. On spring break this week; time to play.
Thank you.
Carl

Reactions: Silesh.Nair

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
You'll learn with time. Let me know if you need any help. It feels gud teaching a teacher, lol!!!

crcook60

Oct 30, 2011
You'll learn with time. Let me know if you need any help. It feels gud teaching a teacher, lol!!!

Very funny, Mr.Nair. And I'm an English teacher to boot! I would relish having someone with experience to mentor me. Just to show you how much teachers look forward to their breaks(read mental exhaustion,) I discovered today that after flashing a custom recovery and rooting this little Sprint demon the other day, I had NOT flashed the firmware you uploaded. Can't believe I didn't do that. This came to light after I flashed the CM ROM for I9205 (I know, NOT recommended, but I did it for kicks.) Your CM build installed beautifully, and I was able to connect to WiFi, but of course I didn't have a cell data connection. I flashed the L600 modem in Odin a couple times on top of CM and applied various settings using the phone apk moosiemooses linked and eventually did get a mobile data connection, but I couldn't make it persistent. I wound up restoring the nandroid I made the other day; this is when I discovered that I hadn't flashed the firmware version in your Mega folder. So I did that after lunch today, flashed the modem twice and after a bit of fiddling all seems to be working well. I'm fairly new to this carrier and the network seems a bit finicky, but that's just my opinion. I spent most of the day doing this, and I think I learned something in the process, just not clear about what that is exactly.<g>
Thanks.
Carl

Reactions: Silesh.Nair

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do not own this phone.

This thread will provide custom recovery ( CWM/TWRP ) flashable zip files of the stock frmware without knox software. This way you need not upgrade using OTA and hence will be able to move between stock and custom firmware if need to.

If you use OTA to upgrade to the latest firmware, your bootloader will be upgraded to facilitate knox. Once updated there is no going back. The roms in this thread will help you overcome this issue.

The only prerequisite is that you are not already running a knox enabled bootloader. You can find this out by going into download mode and checking if knox entries are shown in bootloader screen.

You will have the following advantages.

• Bootloader is not touched, hence any compatible rom can be flashed, including custom roms
    • Only Samsung knox files are removed
    • Root & Busybox
    • Stock kernel
    • Deodexed
    • Zipaligned

Procedure
    • Download the Odin version of Philz recovery or my custom twrp recovery and flash.
    • Reboot to recovery first else custom recovery will be replaced by stock recovery.
    • Flash the ROM zip file
    • Reboot and Njoy...
    As an additional step, you can flash the modem that comes with the ROM. The procedure to flash the modem is given below.
    • Use Odin v3.04
    • Untick Autoreboot
    • Flash modem
    • Reboot once again into Download Mode using (Vol Down plus Home button combi)
    • Flash Modem once more
    • Once done,unplug then reboot device manually.
    • If this doesn't work, try repeating the flash process again while rebooting manually and with auto-reboot option turned off.

Downloads

All files can be downloaded from my Mega folder. Choose the mega link and select SPH-L600 STOCK FIRMWARE folder. MD5 hash values are available in a separate file inside the folder.

Credits
    @dsixda for creating android kitchen which makes it so easy to create a stock rom in zip format. I modified the kitchen to make it compatible with the Mega...

@MikeyMike for testing the build....
    It is an all I want is to root :(

Sent from my SPH-L600 using xda app-developers app

Odin back to stock MK1. You can get it here http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SPH-L600

Flash Philz recovery http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588661 (Use the ODIN flashable) (meliusltexx)

Root via this method using Kingo http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2527473

Use Root checker to verify you are rooted. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck

Once you are rooted then flash this ROM and you should be good to go. I used this method and I have zero issues.
    Working on it. Short of time....

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

Confirmed everything works great. Battery is great and have not had any issues at all.
    Thanks! But now one last question I read somewhere that the update enabled the phone to use sprint faster LTE bands is that true? Because normal LTE is slow where I live and LTE spark is where its at

Sent from my SPH-L600 using xda app-developers app

I couldn't get the Kingo root to work. I think those who were successful did so before the current firmware. I'm going to redo this as I returned to "squeaky clean" today so that I could take my phone in to be checked for hardware issues(there were none,) but there ARE major issues with the network in my area, West Palm. The tech said, support is recommending users leave phone on CDMA--really!?!?!

Correct me if I am mistaken, but if you flash the Philz recovery in Odin, then select reboot system, it asks you if you want to root the device, and and you just say yes. Voila, you have root. Verify with any root checker app. I will do this again shortly and verify that is the way it worked.
    Carl

Edit/Update:
    OK, this is about as straightforward as it gets: Download Philz Touch( it is linked several places here.) Put phone in download mode( home+power+volume down.) Open Odin, connect phone to PC. Odin should recognize phone in the com section in upper left corner. Select the PDA tab on the right and browse to the recovery you downloaded earlier. In the lower left Odin will give info about the recovery file( if it says MD5 is invalid, your download is likely corrupt, re-download it.) If the file is valid, simply hit the start button and Odin will flash the recovery. Odin will auto-reboot the system. Turn phone off. Boot into recovery(home+power+volume up,) to verify that Philz is in fact installed. One the recovery loads, hit restart system, and the recovery will offer to root the device. Select yes. Restart system. Verify root with root checker.