Who will stay with Moto after the Ultra/Maxx/Mini?

Search This thread

bwheelies

Dec 6, 2010
My last two phones have been Motorola. Functionally speaking they are pretty good and my Maxx has been the most solid phone I have owned. There is a fly in the ointment though. The back cover on multiple phones which have been replaced all creak and squeak after a few months of ownership.

For this reason I am sitting tight until the next ultimate handset comes out that can functionally one-up this phone. One that is built solid but light and has the big battery or super efficient tech to go for days like the Maxx does.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Metfanant

Jan 10, 2011
I too have a "creaking" back cover...specifically up by the power button/volume rocker...

That being said...I was always a big Moto fan..and then switched because I HAD to have the Galaxy S3 when it dropped...and that was the WORST cell phone related mistake of my life..

I couldn't wait to dump that thing and get back to Moto...I just hope that they decide to continue the Droid line along with the X line...

I am almost 100% sure that my next phone will be a Motorola...

sent from my Droid Maxx

ws6formula350

Nov 7, 2010
Droid 2, Droid 4, Droid MAXX. They've all been tanks. I had two Droid 4s that both got wet and they both pulled through until months later... Hardware wise and build quality wise I have no complaints.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

335Deezl

Apr 25, 2011
I have had several Motorolas: the droid 1 a855, Droid Razr Maxx, and now the Droid Maxx. I loved the root-ability of the first two, although the Droid Razr Maxx was a beeatch. Now that I'm on the latest droid Maxx, it really sucks that it can't be rooted, at least since that chinese guy got caught, and I'm stuck with a slower-than-it-should-be device, which I cannot customize. I will only stick with Motorola if they don't lock the bootloader on the next one, but I doubt that will happen. Looks like I will get a nexus next.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

doogald

May 27, 2010
It's way too early for me to tell. I'll see what's available at upgrade time and decide then. This phone will be great until then.

2THEXTRM

Feb 1, 2012
Syracuse
I've had over a dozen Moto phones starting with the original brick and almost every flagship phone since then. I've strayed a couple times in the last 20 years and quickly came back.

I'll stay with my flagship Moto Dev's unless Lenovo messes with the built like a tank phones that we have enjoyed. If I can't drop it in a pool or river(true stories), dry it out and use it the next day, I don't want it lol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

pbaldw10

Nov 20, 2011
I just want to get out from under Verizon. That being said the functionality of these phones is awesome. So unless Google uses these new features in the next Nexus i'm jumping to the new Moto X on AT&T or the One from One plus.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Samg381

reggie14

May 29, 2010
I'm not expecting to stick with Motorola, but I'm not necessarily opposed to it. I've been relatively happy with my Maxx- battery life has been far better than any other phone I've had (particularly coming from a Galaxy Nexus), which is really what drove me to the Maxx instead of the HTC One.

It seems like battery life of other phones is improving, taking away the primary distinguishing factor that brought me to Motorola. I haven't been completely happy with the performance of some apps on the Maxx, and the screen resolution could use a bump, so I'm going to prioritize those things a little higher next time around.

I'm really interested in seeing what happens with the Android Silver program. It would be tough for me to move off Verizon. Assuming Verizon participates in Android Silver, that's probably the closest thing Verizon users will get to a Nexus-like experience.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
There is a new phone out every other week....

...from some company or other. So there is no way to tell what will be the best price vs performance choice a year and a half from now when my contract expires again.

I have to say thought that even though I have had root on previous Android Phones (Droid 1 and Droid 3) I don't really miss it on my Max. The biggest reason I wanted it on previous phones was to get rid of all the crap that I never used. But with the Maxx it seems like there is 1. less crap to begin with and 2. A lot of it can be disabled (including a lot of the verizon stuff) using the regular android settings menu. So I'm not particularly missing root on this phone.

On my Droid 1, late in its life I did start messing with custom roms just for fun. Funny thing is that I still have that Droid 1 sitting here on my desk running Cyanogen Mod 7.2 (think its .2 - don't remember for sure). It doesnt have cellular access anymore but it still works around the house as a WiFi only device.

PS: I was not sorry to see the Droid 3 go away. That one never lived up to my hopes for it. I liked the form factor and I do sometimes miss the physical keyboard but the CPU always seemed slow and I almost immediately regretted getting a 3G device rather than holding out a bit longer for a 4G phone.

Last edited:

svzurich

Dec 20, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am very impressed with my Maxx, even today. I don't trust Verizon, and am leery of Lenovo. I want to continue with this company's awesome path that started with Google's purchase, but I am not sure that Lenovo will allow that. I am also disappointed that thanks to Verizon I am still running 4.4.0.

If they release a 64gb Moto whatever with a super battery, and the quality stays the same, I will stick with them barring further course changes for the company strategy.

SupremeOverlord

Oct 30, 2013
Chicago
My last 2 smartphones have been Motorola Droids and I love both of them. Unless in the future they remove the things I love about the phone (NFC, Qi Charging, Awesome Battery) I don't see myself using a different brand.

bwheelies

Dec 6, 2010
When using other phones in the store, they just don't do it for me. I do love the Android experience on this latest phone.

I am ready to leave Verizon because of their scheming ways.

In the store moments ago the sales reps are telling a customer that his only option to get a new phone is to give up unlimited data or buy outright. Did not mention device payment plan. Shysters.

Gtech145

May 18, 2010
Delaware
I think I'll stick with Moto. My next device won't be a Droid though. The successor to the Moto X sounds pretty good.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
How to keep unlimited data...

When using other phones in the store, they just don't do it for me. I do love the Android experience on this latest phone.

I am ready to leave Verizon because of their scheming ways.

In the store moments ago the sales reps are telling a customer that his only option to get a new phone is to give up unlimited data or buy outright. Did not mention device payment plan. Shysters.

...or at least how I did it. Don't get your phone at the Verizon Store. Order it online from Verizon (not from Amazon, wirefly, ect or any other third party - direct from Verizon). Along the way choose the option to "keep my existing plan". It let me keep my unlimited data plan that's been grandfathered for me ever since my first smart phone way back when (was a Samsung i760 Windows Mobile if anyone cares). I chose to "pick up in store" even though I had ordered on line. They guys at the store couldn't believe I still had unlimited data. They said they thought that couldn't be done.

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
I will stay with my Droid Mini. It has the best combination of size, power, apps, and now with it able to utilize the XLTE speeds makes it even better. I am just not that interested in getting a phone that I have to carry in hand vice in my pocket because every phone out now is 5" plus. I swear most newer phones are nearing the size of my Nexus 7 LOL.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
I may jump ship if one came out with either 64Gb or SD card slot.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

The Moto E has an SD card slot and the newer release of the Moto G is getting one too. I don't know if this is an indication that Moto is changing its philosophy with the Lenovo merger (Google doesn't like SD Cards) or just an acknowledgement that these "lesser phones" don't have enough on board storage to be useful without one. The E for example has only 4 GB storage and according to the article I read, has only 2.2 GB left for the user after the OS and system apps are installed.

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
The Moto E has an SD card slot and the newer release of the Moto G is getting one too. I don't know if this is an indication that Moto is changing its philosophy with the Lenovo merger (Google doesn't like SD Cards) or just an acknowledgement that these "lesser phones" don't have enough on board storage to be useful without one. The E for example has only 4 GB storage and according to the article I read, has only 2.2 GB left for the user after the OS and system apps are installed.

I would lean towards the latter and it being a cost saving move.

s_u_n

Nov 6, 2012
Pune
These are Verizon phones

The title lists only the Droid series - Ultra/ Mini and Maxx.
The 'real' Motorola phones are the X, G and E for now.

So, question should be rephrased to "Who will stay with Verizon after the Ultra/Maxx/Mini?"

I am not in the US and using the Droid Maxx. My earlier phone - Motorola Defy - is still working after 3 years and several CM installs.
The hardware is pretty strong on that one and the build quality is good. The phone got wet several times in the rain and there have been no permanent issues due to water.

I cannot say the same for the Droid Maxx. It would be risking too much for me (I paid twice the amount to acquire a Droid Maxx, to what I paid to get a Defy three years ago.)

Hence I have put it into an Otterbox Defender series case to protect the phone since one fall on the floor will kill the phone.

The build quality of Droid Maxx is just like any other phone in the market perhaps.
But there are positives for sure.

1. The LCD has no bleeding, which I feel speaks of good quality.
2. The speaker has good volume and great quality (for music lovers)
3. The battery is awesome. For my limited use, it easily goes to the end of third day for me.

The Otterbox Defender adds a lot of bulk and the inbuilt screen protector reduces the touch sensitivity significantly (especially the virtual buttons).
But since I wish to use the phone for three more years, I think this is the price I have to pay for the beast.

I also bought a used Razr HD Maxx XT926 for my dad last year. The phone is really nice (and the 4.4.2 update is like the icing on the cake).
Luckily I have bootloader unlocked on that one, so I can retain control for a long time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just want to get out from under Verizon. That being said the functionality of these phones is awesome. So unless Google uses these new features in the next Nexus i'm jumping to the new Moto X on AT&T or the One from One plus.

Thing you have to remember is that generally speaking both the carriers and the phone manufacturers don't care if you can root and for the most part don't want you to. Other than phones specifically sold as Developer editions I think we can pretty much expect that rooting is a thing of the past and if you manage to do it, its a matter of luck. dumping a particular manufacturer or carrier isn't going to do any good.

I wonder exactly how many people root their phones. Like a percentage by carrier.

And what their reasons for rooting are.

Mine are to get the data I pay for and improve my device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Well... After DroidMAXX, all the phones I buy / use will be having unlockable BL...
    Well I will stick with moto not out of loyalty but out of likeability. So I saw the specs for the next moto x and it looks good bigger battery more ram and smaller here is the article http://www.mobylak.com/en/news/leak-motorola-moto-x-third-generation

sent from "my kungfu is stronger then yours" XT1080