[Q] I love my g3, but I cant stand the lag. What should I do?

Search This thread

dstenga

Jul 20, 2014
I preordered my at&t lg g3 about a month ago with extremely high hopes, and coming from a jailbroken iPhone 5. Compared to it the UI functionality, battery life, screen resolution, openness of android, subpar camera quality, and many other features made me absolutely swoon over how amazing it was compared to that iPhone garbage. I have one really big problem with it though. Straight out of the box when I revived my lg, I have noticed major ui and app lag. Even after a month, the lag has remained persistent, even after many pointless factory reset and screwing around online to try to find a fix for the lag. I did root this phone, but I know good as well that rooting it did not do anything too the device to affect performance. I just installed some xposed modules such as removing the d delay between taking screenshots, the g3 tweaksbox from the play store (which I highly recommend paying 1.50 for three full version, it's Amazing), and getting rid of ads. The funny thing is, I expected my g3 to perform on par with smartphones with identical specifications, (snapdragon 801, krait 400, 3gb ram, 32gb memory). My brother has a galaxy s5, and I've run many tests between my phone and his, like app performance in games, opening/closing apps, antutu benchmarks, overall ui performance, and his phone basically destroys all off those tests against my phone. WHY?? I do realise that yes, the qhd screen does require more raw performance compared to fhd (I think I read somewhere it was 15%?), but most apps aren't optimised for qhd and put themselves to fhd, so why would a game like fruit ninja run at like 20 fps at fhd on my g3, and 60 fps on the s5, which is also rooted with the same amount of modules? And it's not just arcade fruit ninja either, games like temple run 2 lag when you get to a higher score, apps like tinberman open faster on my jailbroke iPhone 5 then my g3, and sometimes simple arcade games like don't touch the spikes have an occasiaonal stutter when you hit a spike, or just playing in general. I have also seen youtube videos of the g3 vs the s5 with opening apps and app performance, and they perform THE SAME! Plus the Ui didn't lag on YouTube either, my Ui scrolling between app pages (that's the Ui I'm mostly talking about, sometimes I also get lag in the stock browser and messaging app, but that's a different story) dips far below 30 fps, I would be able to tell if it was on YouTube because of the frame rate cap. I'm just fed up with it. I truly do love it though, in my opinion in has the best take on 4.4 kitkat I've seen, and coming from ios I still consider this ROM clean. Now for you, the xda forum what do you think I should do about my problem? I do not want any other phone but the g3. Should I unroot and flash stock Rom back onto my device and take it to at&t? I got this phone through the at&t next plan, so I'm not sure how they deal with warranties. Maybe they would give me a new device if I showed them the problems with it? I am running kitkat 4.4.2 if that helps.

tntgdh

Aug 8, 2012
Do what I did where.
Install the leaked 10j, remove the stock launcher and use nova. Also I you want it to fly do the high temp pro and thermal daemon mitigation mod. Be happy.

tomislav177

Aug 24, 2010
Like tntgdh I also put nova launcher and there is a little trick I use sony z2 live wallpaper from wssabi and set it to 60FPS. Phone is extra smooth. Under transittion effect od home screen i choose none or you can say generic google.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Knucklessg1

Mar 27, 2010
knucklessg1.blogspot.com
You should notice smaller app load times, faster boot ups, and better battery if you switch to ART. However, Xposed currently doesn't support it, so you would have to disable it until Android L came along.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

fullyflaredfred

Dec 24, 2010
Although there are many people out there who swear switching to ART does very little in terms of performance, I think it helps ALOT. Once i switched to ART i noticed the little stutters and little lags go away. My phone feels buttery smooth now. I also use nova launcher which is my launcher of choice, and it also performs buttery. I am very satisfied with its performance. Some may say I am just experiencing a placebo effect, but I think not.

tntgdh

Aug 8, 2012
Although there are many people out there who swear switching to ART does very little in terms of performance, I think it helps ALOT. Once i switched to ART i noticed the little stutters and little lags go away. My phone feels buttery smooth now. I also use nova launcher which is my launcher of choice, and it also performs buttery. I am very satisfied with its performance. Some may say I am just experiencing a placebo effect, but I think not.

Oh yeah it makes a difference for me too. I Decided to try Xposed after I changed to arp, so it reverted to dalvik. What a difference! I instantly noticed. So I ditched Xposed for now until it had support for arp.
One major thing was to install the 10j.
If you want something that will help a lot.. Install the 10j and use arp... Then if you wanna go further install nova and do the thermal mods.

Last edited:

dstenga

Jul 20, 2014
Oh yeah it makes a difference for me too. I Decided to try Xposed after I changed to arp, so it reverted to dalvik. What a difference! I instantly noticed. So I ditched Xposed for now until it had support for arp.
One major thing was to install the 10j. The 60fps are making the difference.

What is this 10j you speak of?

tntgdh

Aug 8, 2012
It's the latest leaked firmware. There is a topic here até the forum about the 10j firmware that has the mega link for it. Since I installed I have a beast in your hands.
Give it a try.

Moostafa29

Aug 19, 2013
Hayward, CA
No. It's for the d855.

Sent from my LG-D851

Okay, thanks! The OP mentioned they had the AT&T version, so I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I'd love to be able to flash firmware and get rid of the lag on this phone, but it seems as though I'm stuff. I've tried every fix mentioned so far in this forum, but nothing's worked.

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Okay, thanks! The OP mentioned they had the AT&T version, so I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I'd love to be able to flash firmware and get rid of the lag on this phone, but it seems as though I'm stuff. I've tried every fix mentioned so far in this forum, but nothing's worked.
Yea same here. I wondered why it was mentioned being that the OP said he/she has an ATT G3.

Sent from my LG-D851