Samsung Galaxy i5500 (Europa) Wifi

Search This thread

kirsty83

Nov 6, 2010
Hi

Firstly hello, I'm new Here. Nice to meet you all.

I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy i5500 (Europa) and I'm having some really annoying problems with the WIFI. The device connects okay initially but then after a little while it loses the connection and then refuses to connect again. The only way to re-connect the phone to the WIFI network is to turn the router off and then on again.

I don't have this problem with any other devices in the house only this one. I previously had a T-Mobile Pulse mini and that had the very same problem too so I'm wondering if this is a problem with Android rather than the handset itself? It seems weird that two completely different phones have the same issue?

I have scoured the forums and other sites online but I can't find a solution that works? Some have said to update android to version 2.2 but when I try to update via Kies it says "No update available".

Firstly is there anyway to actually update to the new version yet? And if so is this likely to fix the problem? Sorry for so many questions but your help is greatly appreciated.

ubayd

Nov 27, 2010
re: wifi fix! :)

Hi,

I bought the Samsung Galaxy Europa I5500, an Android phone, yesterday, and I basically wasted £10 of credit on PAYG (Pay-As-You-Go) before I realised and solved the problem.

The first problem with Android is wifi power management. This drops your connections and it's not a terribly smart thing for Android to do. The solution is to turn off power management.

What I did was install the following apps, and it worked.. I'm not sure which one of them in particular fixed it to be honest:

Wi-fi Keep Alive
Wifi Fixer
Wifi OnOff
Wifi Reassociate
WifiPowerSavingOff
Wifi ReEnabler

To those on PAYG, make sure to download APNdroid, add it as a widget to the desktop and click it so it turns red. For those who got an update and can't see APNdroid any more, just reinstall it. The wifi connection will still work with APNdroid running.

Android constantly connects to the internet, so if you're not a monthly contract with a higher threshold before data costs much, it's best to either get on one or download APNdroid to stop apps connecting to the net through GPRS/EDGE/3G. Wifi will continue to work.

My wifi has been working on-demand ever since, and I just tap a widget on the desktop to turn it off to save battery. It's a beautiful phone and definitely worth the £90 handset cost + £10 topup.. (haha). Otherwise Android is perfect, bar the occasional sluggishness (the Nokia XpressMusic/5230 was worse, in my experience!) because at least on Android you know that it's just busy because the CPU is slow, and you don't have to force-quit most apps unlike on Nokia firmware. (I liked the Nokia 9300 but that was years ago). It was a waste of £10 for me BUT

I hope this helps everyone! :)

Last edited:

Boyzdad

Jan 23, 2008
Hi,

To those on PAYG, make sure to download APNdroid, add it as a widget to the desktop and click it so it turns red. For those who got an update and can't see APNdroid any more, just reinstall it. The wifi connection will still work with APNdroid running.

Android constantly connects to the internet, so if you're not a monthly contract with a higher threshold before data costs much, it's best to either get on one or download APNdroid to stop apps connecting to the net through GPRS/EDGE/3G. Wifi will continue to work.

Thanks for the tip :) (APNdroid) I have updated mine to OS TO 2.2 and it works very nicely ;)

I have found with this phone though if you press hold the power button, a menu comes up, the 1st option is "Mobile Network" if you tap this you can disable the GPRS, this works great, but does not confirm this as a display like APNdroid (unless you press and hold the power button again to confirm).

I hope this makes sense!

The other bonus with the mobile network disable or APNdroid is that ad supported games etc will not show ads :)

Thanks again :)

ensell96

Feb 28, 2011
HELP!!

hi im new here and need to find out how to post a problem if some one could hel that wud be great thanks! :cool:

X301

May 27, 2011
I have upgraded to the froyo and even previous with eclair and get no such problems.... Im on PAYG o2 sim with CPW sim free phone.

Oujee

Jun 5, 2011
Mansoura
Hi,

I bought the Samsung Galaxy Europa I5500, an Android phone, yesterday, and I basically wasted £10 of credit on PAYG (Pay-As-You-Go) before I realised and solved the problem.

The first problem with Android is wifi power management. This drops your connections and it's not a terribly smart thing for Android to do. The solution is to turn off power management.

What I did was install the following apps, and it worked.. I'm not sure which one of them in particular fixed it to be honest:

Wi-fi Keep Alive
Wifi Fixer
Wifi OnOff
Wifi Reassociate
WifiPowerSavingOff
Wifi ReEnabler

My wifi has been working on-demand ever since, and I just tap a widget on the desktop to turn it off to save battery. It's a beautiful phone and definitely worth the £90 handset cost + £10 topup.. (haha). Otherwise Android is perfect, bar the occasional sluggishness (the Nokia XpressMusic/5230 was worse, in my experience!) because at least on Android you know that it's just busy because the CPU is slow, and you don't have to force-quit most apps unlike on Nokia firmware. (I liked the Nokia 9300 but that was years ago). It was a waste of £10 for me BUT

none of these worked for my galaxy mini i installed Wi-fi Keep Alive, Wifi Fixer, Wifi OnOff, Wifi Reassociate, WifiPowerSavingOff, Wifi ReEnabler none of them worked also wifipowersavingoff gave me an error that it can't find system/wifi/wlan_cu file to turn off the power saving for wifi, please need someone to tell me how to fix this problem for mini.

Oujee

Jun 5, 2011
Mansoura
hey guys i do used these programs to try to force my wifi not to sleep but when i got disconnected from the know network i am connected to i found that i were able to connect to another router so how come it is on sleep or there is something wrong with my galaxy mini and same time i am able to connecto to another router that makes the problem is with the router not with the mobile so any ideas to fix a NetGear router?