S-View Flip Kit Kat 4.4.2 Problem

Search This thread

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Hi All,

This might be a bit off topic but it maybe of a help, as I've been reading all posts here.
I have one of those non-original cases and I have the 3G version I'm on 4.3. I did everything possible to test it including re-flashing hard rest (sometimes 2 times per day) even without downloading any app or allowing market to update.
Result: S-View works flawlessly for an hour or so, then starts to hang.
Final observation and this may help you: If the device is connected to the charger...it never hags or act weirdly.
Of course I can't keep it connect to the mains in order for S-View to work, but this is my final conclusion.

If possible, can you help me confirm my findings.

if you do a re-flash, and have the phone setup, try to disable the data and wifi, and see how long the s view function works, or if it affect the phone in anyway without data or wifi.

ahegazi

Apr 15, 2005
Cairo
OnePlus 7
If possible, can you help me confirm my findings.

if you do a re-flash, and have the phone setup, try to disable the data and wifi, and see how long the s view function works, or if it affect the phone in anyway without data or wifi.

I will do that, but during the weekend and let you know. The problem is that during weekdays I need to use the phone.

Reactions: kms108

RockstarMx

Jan 22, 2014
Hi All,

This might be a bit off topic but it maybe of a help, as I've been reading all posts here.
I have one of those non-original cases and I have the 3G version I'm on 4.3. I did everything possible to test it including re-flashing hard rest (sometimes 2 times per day) even without downloading any app or allowing market to update.
Result: S-View works flawlessly for an hour or so, then starts to hang.
Final observation and this may help you: If the device is connected to the charger...it never hags or act weirdly.
Of course I can't keep it connect to the mains in order for S-View to work, but this is my final conclusion.

Hi, I have the same problem here but I own a Spigen Slim Armor S-View, It works flawlessly for arround 10 minutes or so, then it doesnt work at all, I have to remove the case for a while and the when I put it back, works again for a while but not much time... I have the N900W8 version on 4.3.

Hi, I have the same problem here but I own a Spigen Slim Armor S-View, It works flawlessly for arround 10 minutes or so, then it doesnt work at all, I have to remove the case for a while and the when I put it back, works again for a while but not much time... I have the N900W8 version on 4.3.

Issue not present on mine. S-View works for days without hang and without needing to remove from case. Only thing is that after a reboot, S-View stops categorically, And will start working (again flawlessly) only after removing and putting it back into case...
I have note3 N9005 running on android 4.3, with Spigen Slim Armor View case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

slow_one

Dec 11, 2011
Issue not present on mine. S-View works for days without hang and without needing to remove from case. Only thing is that after a reboot, S-View stops categorically, And will start working (again flawlessly) only after removing and putting it back into case...
I have note3 N9005 running on android 4.3, with Spigen Slim Armor View case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Same Here I have the Spigen Slim Armor View on a SM-N900P and on TW 4.3 Custom or Stock it works as long as I do not restart the phone, If restart then i have to reset the cover by uninstall a re installing it. On KK 4.4.2 it does not work at all. On a side note on 480 DPI it works perfect but on 320 DPI is awkward, still loking for a DPI fix on 320.

MohammadAG

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
I

OK, had a dig through the code, I'm off to bed, however....

The code that does the check is in Keyguard.apk (/system/priv-app)

it's in the SssdkVendorCheck.smali

Code:
# Force check to return right vendor - The_Ape
    const-string v1, "Samsung"
    const-string v2, "Samsung"

invoke-virtual {v1, v2}, Ljava/lang/String;->compareToIgnoreCase(Ljava/lang/String;)I

move-result v1

if-eqz v1, :cond_2

.line 27
#    sget-object v1, Lcom/samsung/android/sdk/SsdkVendorCheck;->strManufacturer:Ljava/lang/String;

# Force check to return right vendor - The_Ape
    const-string v1, "Samsung"

const-string v2, "Samsung"

invoke-virtual {v1, v2}, Ljava/lang/String;->compareToIgnoreCase(Ljava/lang/String;)I

move-result v1

I've popped the #'s in to rem out the line, and forced the compare to 'work'

I've only had a couple of seconds to test, and there seems to be something else somewhere, I'll have a further dig when I get back up, but if anyone wants to run with it there's a starting point.

That checks if the current device, not the cover, is manufactured by Samsung, I'm guessing this is to make porting S-View functionality to other devices slightly harder, although anyone can patch that method.

In any case, it's not related to S-View not working on KitKat.
(I don't have the Spigen cover yet, so no idea what's happening yet).

ICoverManager might be worth looking into, if you can find it.
Ninja Edit: it's in com.android.server.cover, part of services.jar (duh)

Edit 2: it's reading values from /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/, might be worth posting values from original cover and Spigen one.

Edit 3: I may have figured this out, Xposed module coming in a bit to confirm.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Okay, here's a module for anyone with Xposed to test, please report success/failure http://dl-count.xposed.info/modules/com.mohammadag.sviewverificationbypasser_v1_f5d48a.apk

I haven't tested this, worst case scenario is that nothing happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: CVonV
Yap. When the screen on, i closed the cover nothing happen. But when cover is closed and i push power button, the the power menu in sview appeared.
Cover closed screen off, open cover screen on.
Its a good try though. Maybe a little more adjustment it will work. :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: CVonV

schtutz

Sep 9, 2007
Bucharest
Yap. When the screen on, i closed the cover nothing happen. But when cover is closed and i push power button, the the power menu in sview appeared.
Cover closed screen off, open cover screen on.
Its a good try though. Maybe a little more adjustment it will work. :thumbup:

Same here.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007

Would there be any chance the operation of the s view is linked to samsungs server, so any non oem will be locked out.

From information that I have gathered from samsung insider, this is the case, but I cannot confirm this, this is why I asked if people can do testing of the s view function with wifi and data off for a period of time and see if it's affected.

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Would there be any chance the operation of the s view is linked to samsungs server, so any non oem will be locked out.

From information that I have gathered from samsung insider, this is the case, but I cannot confirm this, this is why I asked if people can do testing of the s view function with wifi and data off for a period of time and see if it's affected.

No, again, the values are read from sysfs, /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/

Cover color: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_color
Cover height: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_height
Cover width: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_width
Cover type: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_id
Cover verification: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_verify_mac <-- this is probably causing the issues.

Can someone post the value of /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_id ? Preferably one of each type (Spigen/counterfeit and original)

No, again, the values are read from sysfs, /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/

Cover color: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_color
Cover height: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_height
Cover width: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_width
Cover type: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_id
Cover verification: /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_verify_mac <-- this is probably causing the issues.

Can someone post the value of /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_id ? Preferably one of each type (Spigen/counterfeit and original)

How to do that? I am not a programmer but want to help :what:

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
How to do that? I am not a programmer but want to help :what:

Get a terminal emulator (here's one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en) or use adb shell, and type cat /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_id
If you get permission denied, type su, hit enter, and try again

In any case, I found the values:
0 = standard flip cover
1 = S-View cover
2 = No cover
3 = S-View cover with Qi charging

cat the file, I'm guessing the output will be 2.

Last edited:
Get a terminal emulator (here's one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en) or use adb shell, and type cat /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_id
If you get permission denied, type su, hit enter, and try again

In any case, I found the values:
0 = standard flip cover
1 = S-View cover
2 = No cover
3 = S-View cover with Qi charging

cat the file, I'm guessing the output will be 2.

Yap the output is 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope, after a whole bunch of 'feeding' it various values, I think I need to get an official case to see what actually gets sent over to the device. I've ordered one from Amazon, so we shall see. If I can effectively copy the values that are read from an official case then should not be a problem.

I shall be back on the 'case' when I get my new case :)
    Hello every one !

I have one solution to S-View Flip. Today i have buy one official cover and proceded a chip swap to Official & Spigen Slim Armor View.
    Nice it work ! but the solution is expensive, buy the spigen SAV + Official Cover, the operation is not without risk. Rest one problem, the Home buton not work.

The home button is not only blocked from SView, it's blocked completely with the screen off, the event watcher is not registered for it.

I've been digging through all this code, and oh my word have they gone to town, and although our 'unofficial' stuff has stopped I don't think that was the primary reason for Samsung to do this, it seems they have registered a whole bunch of other identifiers, so that other official 'devices' whether they be cases or whatever can be identified uniquely.

The 4.3 way of doing things was :

Check for chip - if exists is it's vendor name Samsung - If so turn on S-View

in the 4.4.2 world :

Check for chip - if exists is it's vendor name Samsung - If so What's the Device ID - If it's 0x1 then S-View on if it's 0x2 then it's FlipView case (no S-View, just turn screen off, and turn on again when opened)

The problem we have, the chips our devices use Doesn't have an ID, Just the Vendor name.

What we need to do is force the detection code to identify the chip as an S-View no matter what.

I'll have another look later, only had a couple hours today.

Just so you know the status.
    Wow, the more I dig the more horrified and impressed I am!

There's code in here to detect what colour the case is that you are using, and then it can set the background to match, there's code for different size 'openings' in the case, and for no opening at all....

I might need to get hold of an 'official' device so I can see what these things are being set too!

For now though, I'll try hack around it ;)
    It say this
    _a235@hlte:/ $ su
    root@hlte:/ # echo 1 > /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_id
    tmp-mksh: can't create /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/w1_master_check_id: Permission denied

Okay, here's another APK, can you try that? http://dl-count.xposed.info/modules/com.mohammadag.sviewverificationbypasser_v3_be39c1.apk

Reboot after you see the "modules list updated toast"
    Heh, so I didn't waste 85$ (in a way)

Here's a support thread for the module since it works :)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49664676