[FIX] GPS files ripped from leaked JI2, flashable zip

Search This thread

frankencat

Oct 13, 2009
Tampa Bay, Home of the Rays!
Just thought I would share this in case anybody wants to try it. Someone posted the GPS files from the newly released firmware and I packaged it up in a flashable zip that is attached to this post.

I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly suprised to find that my GPS was working better and my compass actually works. It's not perfect and I make no promises about it's validity or completeness other than that I packaged it up and flashed it on my phone with no problems and it seems to have made a positive difference without having to flash the entire firmware. Give it a try if you are so inclined and let us know if it works for you. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a little I put together to help people install this using ROM Manager/Clockwork Recovery:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEFORE YOU START YOU MUST HAVE...

* Root access.
* ROM Manager from the market with Clockwork Recovery. (If you have another way to flash the .zip file then feel free to use that. This was tested using Clockwork Recovery and I highly recommend using it.)

ONCE YOU ARE ROOTED AND HAVE CLOCKWORK RECOVERY INSTALLED FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS IN ORDER...

1. Save/download the attached file to internal SD card (/sdcard directory in Astro).

2. Open the ROM Manager application and select "Reboot into Recovery"....

- The phone will reboot and you will be in recovery mode. To navigate the recovery menus use Volume +/- to move up and down through the menus and use the Power Button to select.

2a. If you see the green menu with the title "ClockworkMod Recovery" at the top then skip this step. If you see a blue menu select "Reinstall Packages" and press the Power Button. This will bring you to the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.

3. Select "install zip from sdcard" and press the Power Button.

4. Select "choose zip from sdcard" and press the Power Button.

5. Select "Vibrant-JI2-GPS.zip" and press the Power Button.

6. Select "Yes - Install...." and press the Power Button.

You should see the updater being installed. When finished it will say "Installation complete" or "Install from sdcard complete".

7. Select "++++Go Back++++" and press the Power Button.

8. Select "reboot system now" and press the Power Button.

- Your phone will reboot and you should be good to go. The first time you fire up the GPS it may take a few minutes but after that it should lock on pretty fast. I get an average of 7 locks out of 12 satellites in view with an accuracy of <30 feet. It seems to get better the longer it runs but it's plenty good enough for navigation while driving which is what I use the GPS for.

Hope this helps. God bless. :)
-F

ATTENTION: THIS IS NOT FOR 2.2 FROYO ROMS!!! IF YOU FLASH THIS ON 2.2 IT WILL BREAK YOUR GPS AND QUITE POSSIBLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!!

Attachments

• Vibrant-JI2-GPS.zip
    390.7 KB · Views: 6,228
Last edited:

siirial

Jul 7, 2009
San Marcos
Flashes fine. Boots fine. GPS improvements should be similar to those that used the files directly.

Would rather use GPS for a couple days before making an opinion.

Thanks for the zip. I've been lazy and didn't want to dust ODIN off for just the small improvements in the update.

Last edited:

rUsTyRuSs

Jul 27, 2010
Los Angeles
Sorry to go a bit off topic but is it possible to do the same for the battery full notification? The GPS and notification were the most notable changes in the leak imo. Thank you in advance,
Russ

zoid_99

Aug 1, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Play by play action. Just installed it and after 30 seconds I have 0 fix on 2 sats. Now at one min and have 0 fix on 3 sats. Two minutes and 0/3. Compass is also confused... 3 minutes and 0/3. I say it's a failure. 3.5 minutes and 0/4 and still no fix.

Wait! I just got 4/6 and 20 meters accuracy.

This is the first time this phone has ever locked in on more that 2 birds. Accuracy isn't great but this is progress I guess

snowdogging

Aug 21, 2010
This one doesn't fix my gps. Does anyone know of any other gps settings that exist outside of this update? :mad:

zoid_99

Aug 1, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Followup to my "Play by play". Outside I got 6/9 and 20ft error. It seemed to follow me pretty well. After short time testing I'll have to say that this is much improved. Like I said before I have never locked on to more than two sats.

LovellKid

Nov 22, 2009
Spanish Fork, UT
Incredible... I had 4 satellites in view and could maybe get 1 to lock. I instantly got 11 in view, locked onto 9 accuracy was less than 20 feet. Installed without a hitch. Thanks OP.

Lovellkid

sifuquoc

Aug 15, 2010
i finally get satellite locks!!! i did notice that i got better performance if i disabled the "use wireless networks" box...

edit: still not perfect, but i actually get sat locks now...

Last edited:

srqt

Jul 20, 2010
Providence RI
seems to have made an improvement, I will be able to tell better when I am at my office tomorrow as I always have issues getting a lock when I am there

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
If you are using the voodoo fix, you need to mount /data manually from an sdb shell. "mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /data" worked for me. Then apply the zip. This could be scripted in the zip file.

Well.. Looks like they fixed a few things. I've never seen this gps report 7/8 locked. Nice. The local time zone is also properly determined. About 2 min for first fix, ok but not great for a cold start. Time will tell, the old drivers worked to start with and get wacky for me after a few days. A reboot would fix it. If this setup can keep working for a few days without a reboot, I'll be happy.

PaiPiePia

Aug 22, 2010
Sorry to sound like a newb, but how would I apply this? Many mentioned flashing the zip, what would I need to accomplish that? Also, it is possible to just drag and drop the file, follow by a reboot?

musky

Sep 11, 2009
Coupeville, wa.
Awesome!

This works great! It still takes a while to get a lock. About 2 minutes, but I then locked onto 9 out of 11 satellites! Awesome! less than 20 meters accuracy! Google maps showed me 4 meters! Very much improved! My compass is still screwy though! Thank you!