Trying to reset before warranty claim

Search This thread

xThaNaturalx

Mar 6, 2011
East Lansing, MI
Hey guys,

Kind of an interesting question here. I've had my GS3 since summer and it's been running great. I was on a custom ROM with root (done without tripping binary), so it still says Samsung official and 0 flashes on the download screen, but it does say "custom" on the system status. Anyway, I hadn't done anything with flashing in several months. But the other day my phone just shut off and wouldn't turn back on. When I try, it vibrates, goes to the samsung splash screen, then shuts back down. Doesn't matter what I do, it won't get further than this. Can't boot into recovery or download mode with the button combos either. Won't read it on the computer or anything either. So I went out today and made a jig, thinking this would help. Well, it kind of did. It boots it into download for about five seconds, then shuts back off. So it's not enough time for me to get it to the computer and flash the stock ROM through Odin. I was thinking about trying to send it in to Samsung for warranty claim, because I had seen that people had luck with this when this was happening to a lot of GS3s in December. On several forums people said that Samsung was doing it no questions asked, regardless of root because they knew it was a hardware problem. So my question was just whether anyone here had any experience with it/Samsung? Or whether you guys thought I would be smarter to try and do it with AT&T? Anyway, thanks a lot for your time and input.

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Style (Pure)
Moto X4
Hey guys,

Kind of an interesting question here. I've had my GS3 since summer and it's been running great. I was on a custom ROM with root (done without tripping binary), so it still says Samsung official and 0 flashes on the download screen, but it does say "custom" on the system status. Anyway, I hadn't done anything with flashing in several months. But the other day my phone just shut off and wouldn't turn back on. When I try, it vibrates, goes to the samsung splash screen, then shuts back down. Doesn't matter what I do, it won't get further than this. Can't boot into recovery or download mode with the button combos either. Won't read it on the computer or anything either. So I went out today and made a jig, thinking this would help. Well, it kind of did. It boots it into download for about five seconds, then shuts back off. So it's not enough time for me to get it to the computer and flash the stock ROM through Odin. I was thinking about trying to send it in to Samsung for warranty claim, because I had seen that people had luck with this when this was happening to a lot of GS3s in December. On several forums people said that Samsung was doing it no questions asked, regardless of root because they knew it was a hardware problem. So my question was just whether anyone here had any experience with it/Samsung? Or whether you guys thought I would be smarter to try and do it with AT&T? Anyway, thanks a lot for your time and input.

Did you get a new battery? Worth a try. AT&T might get you one on the spot to try at a corporate store. Otherwise I doubt AT&T will be able to tell if you rooted if you can't boot up.

Michael3214

Dec 21, 2009
Did you get a new battery? Worth a try. AT&T might get you one on the spot to try at a corporate store. Otherwise I doubt AT&T will be able to tell if you rooted if you can't boot up.

Absolutely true, but if its not the battery the atat rep will point you to an atat service center for assistance and its a safe bet that they have a few more tools at their disposal to troubleshoot the phone. If they somehow see any system modification, you are capital F****d. Do you have the wireless insurance with atat? I just dealt with this except I dropped the phone, shattered the screen and it would only power on for 10 mins at a time and then reboot. I paid my $$$ deductable and sent the broken phone to the insurance provider and yes the system still showed as being "modified" when I sent it to them.

Sent from my Atat S3 that now thinks its a Galaxy Nexus........

mhjl007

Feb 18, 2013
San Francisco
I would send your s3 to Samsung if it still under warranty. I sent over my bricked s3 and they fixed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app