Fire phone firesale?

Search This thread

MGREX

Dec 4, 2011
So apparently the fire phone sales are a bust, what are the chances that amazon will do a firesale? like $200 for it but unlocked and without a plan?

Grizzlax

Sep 9, 2014
Already happened!

So apparently the fire phone sales are a bust, what are the chances that amazon will do a firesale? like $200 for it but unlocked and without a plan?

It's happened! $200 off so now it's actually a great value since you also get the free year of prime

YeeHawGandalf

Nov 26, 2014
The Fire Phone Fire Sale is Here

You can buy a Fire Phone unlocked with a free year of Prime for $200 right now. There is also no limit to the number of free years of Prime that you can redeem. Redemption unfortunately requires you to register the device to the account that you want to receive the free year. I wonder if this will end up being like the HP Touchpad. The hardware is really impressive for such a low price. Get a good Android ROM on there and this would be the best deal around for phone with these specs or similar.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
You can buy a Fire Phone unlocked with a free year of Prime for $200 right now. There is also no limit to the number of free years of Prime that you can redeem. Redemption unfortunately requires you to register the device to the account that you want to receive the free year. I wonder if this will end up being like the HP Touchpad. The hardware is really impressive for such a low price. Get a good Android ROM on there and this would be the best deal around for phone with these specs or similar.

My prime membership was up for renewal on DEC 3rd ...I jumped on this for what would be $99, Use your Discover Card and get 5% cash back (almost covered the Tax). If your planing on renewing your Prime membership soon this is a great deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC0USA6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: iTelegraph

alhadee12

Sep 3, 2013
My prime membership was up for renewal on DEC 3rd ...I jumped on this for what would be $99, Use your Discover Card and get 5% cash back (almost covered the Tax). If your planing on renewing your Prime membership soon this is a great deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC0USA6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I jumped on it as well. I used my Chase card and basically got the phone or Prime for free. I'll take that any day since I was going to renew for school anyway. Now it gives me a chance to try the phone workout losing money.

Nov 27, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Bought unlocked $199 firephone - got Play store without rooting

I have Amazon Prime, which needed to be extended, so instead I bought the unlocked phone with free same day in the Phoenix area yesterday. got my phone last evening (11/26). After unboxing, I didn't want to root it, so I followed the kindle fire forums to install (sideload) google play.
and Voila I have Google services, Play store, Gmail, youtube, maps, drive and Google now launcher -

Without rooting and without any problems - Just follow the steps on the kindle forum or how-to-install-google-play-on-kindle-fire - on epubor site / gizmag
Guide 1: http://www.epubor.com/how-to-install-google-play-on-kindle-fire.html
Guide 2: http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install-google-apps-kindle-fire-hd-hdx/30736/

First and foremost - don't upgrade/downgrade the OS (I got the phone with Fire 3.6.8 - which corresponds to Jellybean)
Make sure the Play store version matches the Kernel version for the Jellybean 4.2.2 - remaining services can be latest I think
Temporarily Disable 2 factor authentication on Google login via browser (where Google asks you your phone etc)

Steps:
1) Enable Non Amazon app installation from Settings -> Applications
2) Install ES2 file explorer or any file viewer from Amazon App store (you can also install some batch APK installer apps)
3) Copy the Apks from the link above (see my attachment)
------ Google Service Framework
------ Google Login Service
------ Google Play Service
------ Google Play Store
(Skip Vending .apk as it has been superseded by play store)

4) Reboot after each apk above - allow Fire OS to acknowledge google login if prompted
5) You should see Google Play properly logged in to your google account - install gmail, youtube, drive, google search etc.
(Optional) If you hate the Amazon Carousel, Install Google Now launcher) - See last screenshot. There is another forum post where you can upgrade the carousel icons on sideloaded apps so that they appear large.

Once you have Googlify or Androidify the Fire phone, it actually runs pretty nice.
Fire Phone shortcuts:
Android Back button -> Swipe anywhere from bottom edge of visible screen
Android Home Button -> Single press main button
Android Task Switch -> Double press main button (I miss the close all apps shortcut here)
Voice Search -> long press main button (I wish this could be made to Google Voice search in 1 step)
Device Search -> Swipe down and use the search icon there
Android Menu -> Swipe from Left edge (in supported apps)

I ran Antutu benchmark and the phone performs pretty decently - compares to 1st gen Moto X, Nexus 5, HTC one M7, Galaxy S4.
For $199 unlocked this is unbeatable for a decent android phone - with 1 year prime.

Attached: ANTUTU benchmark shows this phone better than Galaxy S4 but not as good as S5/HTC
I have AT&T so I will be getting my free upgrade next spring, which I can sell unopened for 600$ keeping this fire phone.

Attachments

• B3dlI3tCUAEa0AB.jpg
    B3dlI3tCUAEa0AB.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 4,144
  • B3dlJOOCYAEVQBV.jpg
    B3dlJOOCYAEVQBV.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 4,101
  • B3dlJTRCcAISD_x.jpg
    B3dlJTRCcAISD_x.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3,952
  • B3bvBeBCcAA5ClC.jpg
    B3bvBeBCcAA5ClC.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 4,114
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Took me 30 minutes to get Google Play no need of rooting

Without the play store it isn't even worth that. Still no bootloader Unlock means this is and always will be DOA.

See my post in the subsection - You only need to sideload google play store, google login framework and match the version of the Fireos to the android kernel version and download the matching play store - 4 apks and one setting change to get Play store. Pretty slick for $199 IMHO.

See my post in the subsection - You only need to sideload google play store, google login framework and match the version of the Fireos to the android kernel version and download the matching play store - 4 apks and one setting change to get Play store. Pretty slick for $199 IMHO.

Please try to download anything from PlayStore. Thank you.
Pretty sure it doesn't works.

cyborgx37

Nov 29, 2014

Obviously that's exactly what they did (how very prescient of you).

That said, with such a severely locked down OS (can't even get Google Maps), I don't think it's worth the price. Maybe if someone figures out how to root it and install Cyanogenmod it'd be a good deal. My Kindle Fire was basically useless until I got a proper Android OS on it. Now it's a very decent tablet.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Yeah but you have an black background...

Framework working well?

Yeah, framework is fine, all apps work except for the labels on Google maps (somehow the hardware rendering on the firephone is incapabale of aggregating the labels of streetnames and city names in google maps)
I am debugging that now ... I have black background if I use Google now launcher that is another issue which I dont care about.

So far the phone seems fine - it is running the early Jelly bean (4.2.2 version kernel) which isnt bad but not great. I will try to get custom bootloader next - didnt have time on long weekend as I was on call for work - AMZN :(

Daegalus

Jul 23, 2010
Sammamish, WA
yulian.kuncheff.com
Yeah, framework is fine, all apps work except for the labels on Google maps (somehow the hardware rendering on the firephone is incapabale of aggregating the labels of streetnames and city names in google maps)
I am debugging that now ... I have black background if I use Google now launcher that is another issue which I dont care about.

So far the phone seems fine - it is running the early Jelly bean (4.2.2 version kernel) which isnt bad but not great. I will try to get custom bootloader next - didnt have time on long weekend as I was on call for work - AMZN :(

I hope you achieve some progress. Bootloader is currently the main thing stopping Fire Phone custom roms and such. Its locked down tight, and we either need to find an exploit for it, or somehow replace it entirely, but that sounds just as difficult to do as exploiting it.

adityagadre

Nov 30, 2014
How to change the Launcher

Hi,

This works great.
Can you please explain me how to change the default launcher?

Thanks

I have Amazon Prime, which needed to be extended, so instead I bought the unlocked phone with free same day in the Phoenix area yesterday. got my phone last evening (11/26). After unboxing, I didn't want to root it, so I followed the kindle fire forums to install (sideload) google play.
and Voila I have Google services, Play store, Gmail, youtube, maps, drive and Google now launcher -
Without rooting and without any problems - Just follow the steps on the kindle forum or how-to-install-google-play-on-kindle-fire - on epubor site

Make sure the Play store version matches the Kernel version for the Jellybean 4.2.2 - remaining services can be latest I think
Steps:

2) Install ES2 file explorer or any file viewer from Amazon App store (you can also install some batch APK installer apps)
------ Google Play Store
5) Reboot after each apk above - allow Fire OS to acknowledge google login if prompted
6) You should see Google Play properly logged in to your google account - install gmail, youtube, drive, google search etc.
Optional) If you hate the Amazon Carousel, Install Google Now launcher) - See last screenshot

Once you have Googlify or Androidify the Fire phone, it actually runs pretty nice.
I ran Antutu benchmark and the phone performs pretty decently - compares to 1st gen Moto X, Nexus 5, HTC one M7, Galaxy S4.
For 199 unlocked this is unbeatable for a decent android phone.

I have AT&T so will be getting my free upgrade next spring, which I can sell unopened for 600$ keeping this fire phone.

RGNDI

Jul 5, 2011
Yauco
www.rgndi.com
Could you upload the apks!?!??!

Without rooting and without any problems - Just follow the steps on the kindle forum or how-to-install-google-play-on-kindle-fire - on epubor site

Steps:

------ Google Play Store
5) Reboot after each apk above - allow Fire OS to acknowledge google login if prompted
6) You should see Google Play properly logged in to your google account - install gmail, youtube, drive, google search etc.
Optional) If you hate the Amazon Carousel, Install Google Now launcher) - See last screenshot

For 199 unlocked this is unbeatable for a decent android phone.

I have AT&T so will be getting my free upgrade next spring, which I can sell unopened for 600$ keeping this fire phone.

Nov 27, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Hi,

This works great.
Can you please explain me how to change the default launcher?

Thanks

Download Google Now (or any other launcher) - Complete installation from app store - Then Press the home button (bottom main button) - you should see complete action using - popup with Fire and new launcher as 2 options.
Then choose new launcher and choose always option. To undo the new launcher - uninstall the custom launcher and the homebutton will automatically revert to default fire launcher

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bought unlocked $199 firephone - got Play store without rooting

Without rooting and without any problems - Just follow the steps on the kindle forum or how-to-install-google-play-on-kindle-fire - on epubor site / gizmag
    Guide 1: http://www.epubor.com/how-to-install-google-play-on-kindle-fire.html
    Guide 2: http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install-google-apps-kindle-fire-hd-hdx/30736/

First and foremost - don't upgrade/downgrade the OS (I got the phone with Fire 3.6.8 - which corresponds to Jellybean)
    Temporarily Disable 2 factor authentication on Google login via browser (where Google asks you your phone etc)

Steps:
    ------ Google Play Store
    (Skip Vending .apk as it has been superseded by play store)

4) Reboot after each apk above - allow Fire OS to acknowledge google login if prompted
    5) You should see Google Play properly logged in to your google account - install gmail, youtube, drive, google search etc.
    (Optional) If you hate the Amazon Carousel, Install Google Now launcher) - See last screenshot. There is another forum post where you can upgrade the carousel icons on sideloaded apps so that they appear large.

Fire Phone shortcuts:
    Android Task Switch -> Double press main button (I miss the close all apps shortcut here)
    Voice Search -> long press main button (I wish this could be made to Google Voice search in 1 step)
    Device Search -> Swipe down and use the search icon there

For $199 unlocked this is unbeatable for a decent android phone - with 1 year prime.

Attached: ANTUTU benchmark shows this phone better than Galaxy S4 but not as good as S5/HTC
    I have AT&T so I will be getting my free upgrade next spring, which I can sell unopened for 600$ keeping this fire phone.
    All of the "3 menu buttons" actually work on this phone... the 'app list' is the button doubleclick, home is the button single click, and the back button is a swipe from the bottom of the screen upwards (I find that it helps to start off the screen, a little above the height where the button is). I'm actually liking this functionality compared to the discrete 3 buttons at the bottom of the screen that I had on my old phone.
    @tigeryang1 here's the link: http://www.epubor.com/how-to-install-google-play-on-kindle-fire.html

Yup

Generic Rant about fire (and other) phone pricing.

Updates :
    For multiple google accounts - simply add them in each individual app - they will show up - I have been able to run 3 emails in gmail, 2 youtube accounts and 2 drive accounts. People have had problems with 2 factor authentication - so try disabling it for some time
    Google Maps: Still broken - As far as I can tell, there are some system fonts missing that are compatible with google maps app or the layer that renders the labels is not being configured correctly on the Amazon maps. I tried all combinations of Google maps after 4.4 (froyo) - all are bad to display the label sprites.

Rants [Excuse my grammar] -

First and foremost, none of the smartphone prices charged in the US and Europe actually reflect the value of the phone - Android has always been a race to the bottom in pricing for matching specs. Apple has always held its value due to Apple's tight control of the hardware-software integration and their powerful lobby and lawyers.

This is a billionaires playfield (all our capitalist economy is...) not for measly techies like us to decide. $199 is the approximate price of the hardware ( that is if you believe what the Chinese manufacturers quote is true). Often times the prices for these are fixed by companies who have monopoly or duo poly to protect their business. - For all we know the hardware could actually be made (raw materials + manufacture labor + assembly labor + testing) in less than US $99. If you look at the breakdown of the components- a majority of the money is not actually to parts and labor but to licensing, patents, standards and compliance.
    OnePlusOne/Google Aria assembly phone etc projects are being touted to fix this - but honestly I have no idea the real value of the phone until it is manufactured from scratch by a separate country that plays by the rules and does - I do know that the carriers are gouging us by charging $600+ . Samsung dominated the android scene in 2012 and 2013 and now has been decimated by cheap Chinese copycats - In the defense of the Chinese companies, Samsung phones are not worth the $600-$700 price they claim - if the material cost is $200 and you copy pasted the software from S3 to S4 to S5 - there is no justification in higher price.
    Apple also manufactures its phones for $200 and sells them for $600+ - "is their software/brand/marketing/support/quality/build/value really worth the rest of the $400?" is a subject that goes beyond the scope of technical discussion . Apple is sitting on piles of cash but refuses to pay its shareholders, employees or manufacture anything in the US. Instead they use litigation and intimidation on anyone that dare copy their design. Which means they are equally gaming the system for their benefit (i.e. the benefits of their elites). Google and Amazon and to some extent Microsoft are also tied in the same game - neither company actually has any correlation to what they charge for the good and services they provide v/s its actual value of those goods and services (the same statement is mostly true for any very large corporation)

Bottom line is that worry about the value/cost you are paying for your happiness in the device/Phone. There is no point in bragging about $900 note4 or $700 iPhone6Plus for 0 down or an unlocked Xiaomi for $250 or unlocked nexus for $400. Amazon quickly realized that nobody is going to pay $600 for a $200 device - What is stupid of Amazon is that they didn't learn from Apple Maps failure and Windows Phone failures. Just like these companies gouge us to maximize the profits of their elites - we have every liberty to not fall for their gimmicks and satisfy our needs by maximizing our value without breaking acceptable ethical laws/rules.

For Amazon (and consumers), the future of the Ecosystem is important - For the North America market at least - Amazon (Kindle + Prime + Fire TV + Instant Video) all running on AWS is a good content alternative to the counter the hegemony of Google and Apple. As newspapers, books, TV and music/entertainment industry (traditional) become obsolete - the tech companies, apps and new content will be replacing the void left by the now obsolete media.
    Both Microsoft and Amazon have aim to be a 3rd alternative to Android and iOS to fill the void. So I would consider this fire phone just a giant experiment by Amazon to get a feel of the public mood with its ecosystem for phones.
    Took me 30 minutes to get Google Play no need of rooting

Without the play store it isn't even worth that. Still no bootloader Unlock means this is and always will be DOA.

http://xdaforums.com/fire-phone/general/guide-make-fireos-looks-feel-normal-t2898921