ChromeCast Ultra doesn't work on my TV

Search This thread

villegente

Jun 12, 2016
Hi,

I have buy a chromecast ultra at the airport yesterday. I have try to connect it to my TV without success.
At the first boot, I have a black screen on my TV and my android phone with google home apps saying that their is an update for my Chromecast ultra.

Now, if I make a factory reset or press the reset button I get this :

- On the TV, I can see a blue screen with Chromecast Ultra and a yellow circle. After a few seconds, the chromecast seems reboot, the screen become black and the LED on the chromecast is blinking in white.
- I can configure the chromecast using google home apps or the chrome extension. After the configuration, the screen on the TV is always black and the LED on the chromecast ultra is white and fix.

You can see all of this on the video below :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9YcqL1nFiDaXzBBOWRGR3A2clk

I have only one HDMI port on the TV and I don't know the manufacturer. Devices like SOny PS3 work on my TV using HDMI. I have disconnect and reconnect all but it doesn't change anything.

Google say that some old TV are not compatible with their device. Can you help me to solve the problem ?

Thanks for your help.

villegente

Jun 12, 2016
My TV isn't 4k. It's an old TV.
I have buy the Ultra version because the store only have this version.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Is your TV a 4K TV, the ultra is for 4K TVs?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes it may be meant for 4K TVs but it should still display on lower resolutions as well.

My suggestion is to bring the unit back to where you bought it and let them test it on one of their monitors and see if they get screen.

It is very possible you just got a lemon unit.

villegente

Jun 12, 2016
I can't bring back the unit. I have buy it in an airport during holiday.
I test it on the new TV of a friend, I get a picture. I hope that the device can work on old TV or on TV that is not smart.

Is there a solution to make the ChromeCast Ultra compatible with my old TV ? Is there a configuration file that I can edit or an adaptator that I can put between the ChromeCast and my TV ?

Thanks,

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I can't bring back the unit. I have buy it in an airport during holiday.
I test it on the new TV of a friend, I get a picture. I hope that the device can work on old TV or on TV that is not smart.

Is there a solution to make the ChromeCast Ultra compatible with my old TV ? Is there a configuration file that I can edit or an adaptator that I can put between the ChromeCast and my TV ?

Thanks,

The age of the TV doesn't matter...If it has an HDMI input then it should display in whatever resolution the TV supports.
Since it works on other TVs the only thing left is that the Input to the TV is bad.
Is there another input you can try it on?

mav3rick478

Dec 26, 2010
Bad news, your TV is too old since it works on your friends TV.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
No. I have only 1 HDMI port on the TV. The other input is SCART.

So this is a French TV? (which could explain your problem.)
What Airport did you buy this Chromecast?

I'm going to bet that you have a SECAM TV but the CCast may only supports NTSC or PAL.
If you bought this in the US it is possible it won't support a SECAM TV but the UK version might since PAL and SECAM are very similar.

It's a combination of things working against you here...Yes the TV is a bit old and not very forgiving in what signals it will accept. coupled with the fact that France, and the Former Soviet countries were the only ones who used the SECAM standard where most of Europe uses PAL and the rest of the world uses NTSC.

The cheapest solution is probably to buy a new TV as there is no guarantee that any CCast will work with that one.
You could probably buy a PAL adapter and convert the signal but that is likely to cost as much as a new TV will.

villegente

Jun 12, 2016
Thanks for your answer.
I don't know if my TV is Secam or Pal. I only use it with my Sony PS3.
I have buy the ChromeCast in Australia.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Thanks for your answer.
I don't know if my TV is Secam or Pal. I only use it with my Sony PS3.
I have buy the ChromeCast in Australia.

If it has SCART it is probably only SECAM....
The Aussie CCast is definitely PAL compatible.

I'm guessing your TV was one of the tweener models many people got stuck with in the time where SD was being phased out and Digital standards were not yet set.

tinbo

Oct 27, 2007
paris
Hello,

I have the same issue here and it seems that the chromecast is outputting at 1080p when ur TVs are only going up to 480p

:(

Not nice to mention this risk on google side