Nexus 9 Android N Preview

Search This thread

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Flashing it right now. Just going to miss root, so u can drop my DPI and restore some apps.

Edit: sweet!! Though you can't fine tune the size, it now has default a way to change screen size/DPI. Now I'm only needing root to restore some apps and data.

Last edited:

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Works pretty well for me so far, except for the fact that kernel support for libusb is gone, which stops my Headunit app from working over USB.

No root yet.

Recovery is replaced with stock recovery after a reboot.

There is more discussion in popular phone threads, like the one for Nexus 6p.

adch

Feb 22, 2007
Flashing it right now. Just going to miss root, so u can drop my DPI and restore some apps.

Edit: sweet!! Though you can't fine tune the size, it now has default a way to change screen size/DPI. Now I'm only needing root to restore some apps and data.

Works pretty well for me so far, except for the fact that kernel support for libusb is gone, which stops my Headunit app from working over USB.

No root yet.

Do we have to be on stock to receive the notification?

greiland

Feb 19, 2011
Minnesota
I opted in for the Android N program. Received the OTA and installed but the install FAILED. Now I can't boot and can't install an image because my bootloader is locked. Am I screwed?

EDIT: It's stuck on the "Google" screen

KRU$H

Jun 16, 2010
I opted in for the Android N program. Received the OTA and installed but the install FAILED. Now I can't boot and can't install an image because my bootloader is locked. Am I screwed?

EDIT: It's stuck on the "Google" screen

Same thing happened to me. The ota failed about 1/4 of the way through. Luckily my bootloader was unlocked. After reinstalling the system image and booting up it failed a second time when installing the ota. I think the ota has some definite issues.

Try the Nexus Root Toolkit to return to stock.

USBhost

Recognized Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
u:r:usbhost:s0
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 12

No root yet.

Well I don't think the kernel if it had libusb stopped supporting it.
Because this is pretty much what changed in it https://github.com/USBhost/FIRE-ICE/commit/b88667be3ca75cdfd67269e25fb43956d78004c9
the defconfig. I ripped the defconfig from the kernel image, and I applied the needed changes to my defconfig.
edit:
if you want the N defconfig here you go https://github.com/USBhost/FIRE-ICE/commit/afdf42bd4af6aa042b9d9997de91d3e60c9ccc7e

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceman66

daremo123

Jan 2, 2009
I also went the OTA route and then got stuck in a Google logo boot loop. Boot loader is locked so I am trying a factory reset. Factory reset just finished as I'm typing this. It took about 40 minutes!!!! Once again seems to be stuck on the Google logo.

Edit--
Was able to get into fastboot and install factory image! Used the Nexus Toolkit to unlock the bootloader and so far things seem to be going smoothly.

Last edited:

Norman_Parks

Oct 27, 2015
I got the OTA and it installed fine 2 bugs I have found are if you're watching YouTube and put it in split screen with hangouts and tap the hangouts screen the video will go black until you tap on the YouTube side and the other bug is that the device decided to randomly put itself in airplane mode but over all I am liking it

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

black7

Oct 30, 2008
OTA fails for me with message stating "Android Beta Program Verification failed..." after the download. I've registered for the BETA program as normal and got the OTA notification. Same install method worked fine on my 6P. As stated above, looks like the OTA for the 9 has some issues...

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Well I don't think the kernel if it had libusb stopped supporting it.
Because this is pretty much what changed in it https://github.com/USBhost/FIRE-ICE/commit/b88667be3ca75cdfd67269e25fb43956d78004c9
the defconfig. I ripped the defconfig from the kernel image, and I applied the needed changes to my defconfig.
edit:
if you want the N defconfig here you go https://github.com/USBhost/FIRE-ICE/commit/afdf42bd4af6aa042b9d9997de91d3e60c9ccc7e

Has somebody released N kernel source ?

I don't think there is any /dev/bus/ directory, never mind /dev/bus/usb/... but I'd feel more positive about that if I had root to verify.

USBhost

Recognized Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 12
Last edited:
Reactions: mikereidis

better33

Jan 24, 2011
Couldn't flash mine, always have "missing system.img" and "unable to allocate -xxxxx bytes"... Didn't have much time, I will try again later. Do I need to come from clean stock to flash it ?

naddie

Jun 19, 2010
Chicago
www.guytechie.com
I registered my Nexus 9 for the beta and got the OTA. But it failed with an ERROR (android on it's back with a !). It then rebooted and gets stuck at the Google logo for hours. My Nexus 9 was completely stock on 6.0.1. I downloaded the factory image, but I cannot unlock the device to flash it. All guides seem to say I need to enable Developer Options and enable USB Debugging, but since I can't boot into Android, I can't go that far. Am I screwed?

USBhost

Recognized Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 12
I registered my Nexus 9 for the beta and got the OTA. But it failed with an ERROR (android on it's back with a !). It then rebooted and gets stuck at the Google logo for hours. My Nexus 9 was completely stock on 6.0.1. I downloaded the factory image, but I cannot unlock the device to flash it. All guides seem to say I need to enable Developer Options and enable USB Debugging, but since I can't boot into Android, I can't go that far. Am I screwed?

sorry to tell you but yep!
you can try talking to Google to see if they can fix it.

naddie

Jun 19, 2010
Chicago
www.guytechie.com
sorry to tell you but yep!
you can try talking to Google to see if they can fix it.

So being straight laced and not rooting actually bricked my tablet? What the hell....

I'm a bit surprised there's no way to flash a factory image when the bootloader is locked. If security is a concern why not sign the factory image? Make it something we can sideload like an OTA update.

Last edited:

dweissinger

Feb 15, 2015
I am in the same boat!!!

So being straight laced and not rooting actually bricked my tablet? What the hell....

I am in the same situation. I figured that the software would be buggy but not actually brick my tablet. If anyone knows of a solution, I hope they post it here!! I would advise against installing this onto a Nexus 9 if anyone reading this is considering this firmware!!!

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Couldn't flash mine, always have "missing system.img" and "unable to allocate -xxxxx bytes"... Didn't have much time, I will try again later. Do I need to come from clean stock to flash it ?
No, just wipe everything except internal. You have to extract the last image.sksmsksjssksm whatever zip. Then just fastboot flash each file individually.

kalinskym

Dec 15, 2012
Will I be able to recover if the Android N preview fails on my Nexus 9 by unlocking the bootloader and enabling USB debugging beforehand then install Android N preview?

naddie

Jun 19, 2010
Chicago
www.guytechie.com
Will I be able to recover if the Android N preview fails on my Nexus 9 by unlocking the bootloader and enabling USB debugging beforehand then install Android N preview?

In short, yes. You're basically leaving yourself a backdoor to flash a factory image should the Android N preview OTA takes a dump on you.

As my professor said to us in the laboratory: Do as I say, not as I do. :(

To be fair, I was hoping to do a no-wipe upgrade so I could experience Android N with all my stuff intact. I knew it was beta, but come on!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts