XDANDROID wallpaper | boot Animation contest :)

Search This thread

babijoee

Retired Forum Moderator
Dec 7, 2008
Melbourne
Its time that XDANDROID was properly branded. ;) jk
I'd like to incorporate some creative works from themers and users on xda-developers. And so if you've always wanted to contribute to XDANDROID but didn't have the technical knowledge well nows your chance.
Anyone can participate and i'm hoping to see alot of creative work. I'll be setting up a pole from a weeks time and will let you the user's decide which artworks are best and will be incorporated in the next build.

Here are some details:
Submit your wallpapers | boot animations for XDANDROID here
Requirements

• Wallpaper
  • Must contain the text "XDANDROID" (lowercase accepted)
  • 640x480 dimensions
  • 800x480 dimensions
  • png, jpeg format

• Boot Animation
  • 256x512 dimensions LANDSCAPE
  • Contain text "XDANDROID" (lowercase accepted)
  • Unlimited frames. Though try not too much
  • png format
  • Landscape
  • Provide all frames. Do not merge into one file!

Top 5 wallpapers will be incorporated into next XDANDROID AOSP release and 1 boot animation will be replacing the current Nexus one boot Animation.

Please consider a donation to the XDANDROID project. We work on this on our spare time, even not on our spare times :p and every little bit gives us more inspiration and motivation to continue providing you our friends awww* great builds and support :)

Last edited:

rvdgeer

Mar 10, 2006
Amersfoort
Because of my lack of photoshop skills here's an idea someone might want to try:
The Android droid actualy looks somewhat like a rounded capital A...
If you draw an XD emoticon on it's face, you have an XD Android ;)

babijoee

Retired Forum Moderator
Dec 7, 2008
Melbourne
Comon peeps :rolleyes:
We need some of your help guys.
I hate stock and we need cooler mods from a great community on xda

samizzlah

Jul 31, 2009
ill try to do something cool, but boot animation, what format should it be in? GIF? Flash format? :confused:

babijoee

Retired Forum Moderator
Dec 7, 2008
Melbourne
ill try to do something cool, but boot animation, what format should it be in? GIF? Flash format? :confused:

The resolution is 512x256 and if possible provide each frame in png format. As the boot animation reads each image separately. The maximum amount of frames are 60 but you can do less than that.
Can't wait to see what you guys have to offer :)

You can provide a GIF image too, as i'll just rip it but it would be much easier if you provided the images separate instead of merged into a GIF

ben_duder

Retired News Writer
Oct 15, 2008
Watford
This is probably a stupid question but do the wallpaper sizes you asked for allow for the multiple-home-screen sliding of Android to work? They're the same size as the devices' screens, and I don't know if that means that it would only be big enough to cover one home screen without being stretched, or if Android does something differently with regard to setting wallpapers.

Also, the Hero boot animation is 217 frames long, does this matter?

And finally, I guess the animation should be able to loop (?).

Last edited:

lugiber

Mar 25, 2009
Stockholm
Hmm, hard to do anything on only 60 frames. But here's a first draft at a boot animation. Any suggestions for improvements are most welcome.
I'll probably add another animation tomorrow when I have had time to get some better ideas.
At what fps does the animation play back by the way?
And would it be hard to replace the current bootanimation with a custom one? It would be nice to test the animation before submitting it to you.

Attachments

• boot-animation.zip
    5 MB · Views: 2,716

ben_duder

Retired News Writer
Oct 15, 2008
Watford
That one looks great! If I had to be critical I'd say you could make the text colour more distinct from that of the background, but I love the Android :)

It's much better than anything I would have done... Do you have professional experience in graphics/rendering?

lugiber

Mar 25, 2009
Stockholm
Thanks for the positive reponses guys! I'll make "xdandroid" stick out more and update the animation.
Hehe, i like the idea about the android eating windows. I'll see what i can do. :)
I had some ideas in that direction but I wasn't shure if people would respond well to "windows bashing".

ben_duder

Retired News Writer
Oct 15, 2008
Watford
Here's an XDAndroid wallpaper idea I made - I know that it's pretty basic but I wouldn't mind some feedback :)

Attachments

• xdandroidwvga.jpg
    xdandroidwvga.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 122
  • xdandroid.jpg
    xdandroid.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

TheDeadCPU

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 22, 2009
ಠ_ಠ
Hmm, hard to do anything on only 60 frames. But here's a first draft at a boot animation. Any suggestions for improvements are most welcome.
Nice one! How about making the background black? It's not filling the whole screen, (since that's how Android does it) So I think whatever's on the outside of the animation is black.
Here's an XDAndroid wallpaper idea I made - I know that it's pretty basic but I wouldn't mind some feedback :)
Nice! I like it simple and basic! :D

mkmatis

Jul 18, 2009
Here's my idea of simple boot animation.

Attachments

• boot-anim.jpg
    boot-anim.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 625
  • boot-anim.zip
    493.7 KB · Views: 383

babijoee

Retired Forum Moderator
Dec 7, 2008
Melbourne
Here's my idea of simple boot animation.

I'll probably add another animation tomorrow when I have had time to get some better ideas.
At what fps does the animation play back by the way?
And would it be hard to replace the current bootanimation with a custom one? It would be nice to test the animation before submitting it to you.

haha looks like you both interpreted the requirements wrong or i wrote them wrong :S
I'd like it to be 512 width and 256 in height.

But other than that it looks good. If possible add some android in there doing something humourous :p ( not necessary but would be greatly appreciated :D )

Last edited: