Game streaming to other Android devices or PCs with Moonlight and GeForce Experience

Search This thread

PSNick

Jun 5, 2013
Hello,

My apologies if this has been answered before, and it probably has, but I didn't manage to find information about it. Is it possible to stream a game to a tablet, and at the same time play something different on the pc?
Can we do that by default, or perhaps with a VM?

Thank you.

d_xd

Aug 18, 2017
Hi everyone, I have two questions
1) Is it possible in moonlight to open Steam big picture automatically when we start the moonlight android app? if not, i think it could be a great feature.
2) I have an issue with "no man's sky" that only the sound is streamed but the video doesn't apear on the device (black screen). Already tried to add on steam but it does the same. Is the gog version
Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

My apologies if this has been answered before, and it probably has, but I didn't manage to find information about it. Is it possible to stream a game to a tablet, and at the same time play something different on the pc?
Can we do that by default, or perhaps with a VM?

Thank you.
I believe not. when you stream to your device the game appears in fluuscreen on your pc. you you alt tab and open another, this game that you open on your pc will apear on the device.
You can try with the VM, it's a good idea. If it works you need a good computer to handle to games and one of them on a VM.

Best Regards

Last edited:

the_mentor

Jul 11, 2010
1) Is it possible in moonlight to open Steam big picture automatically when we start the moonlight android app? if not, i think it could be a great feature.
2) I have an issue with "no man's sky" that only the sound is streamed but the video doesn't apear on the device (black screen). Already tried to add on steam but it does the same. Is the gog version
Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance

I believe not. when you stream to your device the game appears in fluuscreen on your pc. you you alt tab and open another, this game that you open on your pc will apear on the device.
You can try with the VM, it's a good idea. If it works you need a good computer to handle to games and one of them on a VM.

Best Regards
Usually games don't work well in VMs because of the GPU requirements.
You can setup GPU pass through to the VM but it usually requires a 2nd dedicated GPU.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Edit: nevermind, I think I misunderstood what you are asking... You basically want moonlight to automatically load you into Steam Big Picture when you first open the Moonlight app. I don't think this is possible currently. You would have to first click on your PC in Moonlight, and then click on Steam in the games list to get to Steam Big Picture.

Last edited:

d_xd

Aug 18, 2017
Edit: nevermind, I think I misunderstood what you are asking... You basically want moonlight to automatically load you into Steam Big Picture when you first open the Moonlight app. I don't think this is possible currently. You would have to first click on your PC in Moonlight, and then click on Steam in the games list to get to Steam Big Picture.
That would be the perfect scenario, but i if i have two or more computers to stream the best scenerio would be, going to steam automatically when i choose a computer.
I'ts very difficult going automatically to steam big picture without choosing a computer because of the way that moonlight works, but i believe the second scenario is not too difficult. or maybe add an option on the setting to go to steam big picture.

Best regards

tom047

Mar 30, 2011
Unbelievable product. Hats off to the developers. I've only got this working in the last week or two after building a new HTPC with a ****ty 1050 but for emulated games and a controller it's amazing.

I have a few questions:
1) When a host is added by domain name and I am on the internal network, is the stream sent over LAN/WLAN or over the internet? I kinda feel like maybe @cgutman was eluding to this sort of thing in his earlier answer but I wasn't 100% clear.
2) Is there much ongoing development happening for the iOS/Android app etc? The iOS app has noticeably different branding/layout to the Chrome extension, for example. Would be great to get a refresh and maybe even an extra couple of gestures/3D-touch shortcuts (eg to close an open app). I'm a software engineer, no iOS experience per se but would be happy to chuck some spare time at it if devs don't have any plans to....
3) I haven't tested this as thoroughly as I should but anecdotally, after I wake my computer from sleep (using wake on wireless LAN) the client will always indicate that the host is offline. If I manually remove and re-add the host it immediately appears as online. Anything I'm doing wrong or is this something known about?

Honestly the app is amazing and I'm so impressed. My TV has awful input lag but I can actually play my games using Moonlight and my laptop/iPhone hahaha - it's the most bizarro, 21st-century setup I could possibly imagine.

Unbelievable product. Hats off to the developers. I've only got this working in the last week or two after building a new HTPC with a ****ty 1050 but for emulated games and a controller it's amazing.

I have a few questions:
1) When a host is added by domain name and I am on the internal network, is the stream sent over LAN/WLAN or over the internet? I kinda feel like maybe @cgutman was eluding to this sort of thing in his earlier answer but I wasn't 100% clear.
2) Is there much ongoing development happening for the iOS/Android app etc? The iOS app has noticeably different branding/layout to the Chrome extension, for example. Would be great to get a refresh and maybe even an extra couple of gestures/3D-touch shortcuts (eg to close an open app). I'm a software engineer, no iOS experience per se but would be happy to chuck some spare time at it if devs don't have any plans to....
3) I haven't tested this as thoroughly as I should but anecdotally, after I wake my computer from sleep (using wake on wireless LAN) the client will always indicate that the host is offline. If I manually remove and re-add the host it immediately appears as online. Anything I'm doing wrong or is this something known about?

Honestly the app is amazing and I'm so impressed. My TV has awful input lag but I can actually play my games using Moonlight and my laptop/iPhone hahaha - it's the most bizarro, 21st-century setup I could possibly imagine.

I can't speak to the iPhone app, but the Android app is updated very regularly! Also, as far as I know, cgutman is the only developer of this app, and to make it, he had to completely reverse engineer the stock Nvidia gamestream stuff because there was no open source code or API's to use in development of this app or any like it! Pretty impressive to say the least!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

Last edited:
Reactions: gk1984

cgutman

Aug 14, 2010

I have a few questions:

1. When a host is reachable over local and remote IP addresses, Moonlight will give preference to the local IP address to stream through the LAN. However, even though you may be "local", there could be reasons that Moonlight may still pick the remote IP address (if GFE is reporting a strange/incorrect local IP address, firewall issues, etc.). Even if Moonlight picks the external IP address, most routers have a feature called NAT loopback which handles accesses to the external IP address of the router from the LAN internally without sending anything outside the router.

2. The Android app is more active than the iOS one at the moment. That's mainly down to the fact that I'm more experienced with Android than iOS and my daily drivers being Android devices. The Android framework is also a little more friendly toward some of the stuff Moonlight does too (like implementing a USB driver in app for Xbox controllers or supporting native mouse/keyboard input/capture). I think the big goal people on GitHub have in mind for iOS now is to get official support for Apple TV now that Apple has added the key APIs we use to their list of supported tvOS APIs. There's an older PR that needs some help to merge cleanly into master. I'm also planning to bring the Android/Chrome icon to iOS in the next update to unify that aspect of things. Any help you want to provide would be appreciated.

3. I don't think that specifically is a known issue, though I have noticed some weirdness with online/offline state tracking on the iOS app sometimes where it won't update state without force-closing the app.

Reactions: jeebspawnshop

nk33

Jun 24, 2009
I am now using IPVanish VPN on my pc. I have noticed, however, that even though i can still continue using all other services forwarded to this pc, Moonlight fails on the handshake when my vpn is active. if i turn it off Moonlight works...

Is there any way round this? Dont see why i cant connect using my real ip address while the vpn is active...?

davartens

Apr 12, 2014
Hy guys,
Im currently selling an Amlogic s805 Android tv Box that worked with a pretty bad Latency on Moonlight @ 1080p60 (Moonlight works great on my Qualcomm 820 phone with an ethernet and 5ghz wifi lan, so its not a networking lag problem).
Im looking to buy a new Tv Box to fullfill my Kodi and Gamestreaming needs, what box do you recommend??

I looked for and Nvidia Shield Tv that seems to be the best one to use with Moonlight or official Nvidia Gamestream (correct me if im wrong), but it looks that its not lower than 160-200u$s on the market.
Is there any box cheaper than that, but with a similar performance on Moonlight than the Shield TV????

Thank you!!

Last edited:

mr_blanket

Apr 26, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
www.theslanket.com
Overwatch doesn't seem to be working for me....

I'm running Windows 10 on the host and macOS public beta on the laptop. As soon as I launch from the laptop, it just goes to a black screen and I hear the overwatch logging in sounds in the background.

I just checked and I am confirmed to be running the latest nVidia drivers on the host.

Thanks!

nk33

Jun 24, 2009
Overwatch doesn't seem to be working for me....

I'm running Windows 10 on the host and macOS public beta on the laptop. As soon as I launch from the laptop, it just goes to a black screen and I hear the overwatch logging in sounds in the background.

I just checked and I am confirmed to be running the latest nVidia drivers on the host.

Thanks!

Try changing the resolution on the host. It happened to me on a couple of gamrd and this fixed it for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using XDA Free mobile app

Dentifreak

Sep 2, 2017
Moonlight and ipad air 2

Hi,
I'm trying to have a good gameplay experience with IOS moonlight client on ipad air 2. My problem is, every 5-10 seconds, for half a second, it becomes choppy with artifacts (with sound problem too) then it gets OK again.

I have this behaviour from 0.5 Mbps to 50 Mbps. As I said, it last half a second but it's not very fun playing with that every 5-10 seconds. Playing with the Chrome app on my macbook seems OK. I tried Splashtop on my ipad and it seems OK too...

Any idea ? My gfx card is a GTX 1080. It's connected to a 5ghz wireless network (I'm sitting like 2 meters away). I even tried to change the channel. No effect. Considering that it's doing this even at 0.5 Mbps, I suppose it's not a bandwidth problem. I really hope I can get this working so I can play anywhere in my house on my ipad.

thanks

eliott94260

Aug 20, 2010
It's perhaps the solution :without monitor connected i have certain game with mouse control and nvidia share doesn't work without monitor, both technologies use same protocol

k4rmatic

Sep 27, 2016
hi, love what you're doing, got to say that first, its amazing. ive set up moonlight to stream over the internet by port forwarding but is this possible with 2 or more PCs streaming over the internet? i mean i dont know how it would work. would i port forward 2 different IPs? but then they would both come from 1 public IP. or would i specify a specific port for each PC? i am very confused and would greatly appreciate any help. please and thank you in advance.

jesusporkynov

Feb 28, 2017
Stuck

Guys, I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask or it was already solved somewhere else, but my Theater just shows the main logo, nothing else, just me in a room with stars, the app logo in front of me. Can somebody help me?

badogski29

May 6, 2016
Moonlight on ios, runs really well except for a weird bug for the game Hitman:absolution. So when i play this game, it would constantly shoot the gun(as if a mouse is stuck on left clicking). I use my xbox 360 controller to play this game and its connected straight to the host. I already renamed both rxinput files on both program files folder. Now im guessing maybe this is happening because the game has a launcher.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please don't ask for Moonlight help on Nvidia's forums! It's not their responsibility to support this app. Ask on this forum, another non-Nvidia forum, by email, etc

What happened to Limelight?/Why did you change your name?
    On April 21, 2015, we received a Cease and Desist letter from Limelight Networks, Inc. They also do streaming services and were concerned about confusion between this project and their company trademarks. To comply with the terms of their C&D, we've decided to rename our project to Moonlight.

Quick Links
    Main website: https://moonlight-stream.org
    Help: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-docs/wiki/Setup-Guide
    Discord: https://moonlight-stream.org/discord
    PC GitHub project: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt
    iOS GitHub project: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-ios
    Android GitHub project: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-android
    Android GitHub releases page (APKs): https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-android/releases
    Embedded port (for Raspberry Pi and other embedded devices): https://github.com/irtimmer/limelight-embedded
    GearVR port (for GearVR devices): http://sideloadvr.com/detail.php?id=14

iOS version
    The iOS port of Moonlight is now on the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moonlight-game-streaming/id1000551566

Windows, Mac, and Linux port
    PC port binaries: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/releases
    PC port source: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt

Moonlight for Chrome OS
    Download the latest version from the Chrome Web Store.

General Streaming Latency Information
    The latency of streaming is dependent on the device you're streaming to and the network you're streaming over. Different devices have different H.264 hardware decoding latency. After streaming, a toast will show up with latency numbers. It will show the total client latency and the portion of the total client latency spent waiting for the hardware decoder. Note that the total client latency does NOT include network latency, so the real latency is higher than the number you see. The total client latency is a measure of the time that the first packet in a frame is received to the time that the frame is released for rendering on screen.

Anecdotal Hardware Decoder Latency Numbers
    These are some latency numbers (from memory) I've seen on my test devices as of Moonlight Android 4.0.1. I'll try to keep updating this as I test.

Tier 1 devices:
    Tegra 4 - Nvidia Shield - 5 ms - 1080p60 supported
    Intel Atom/Bay Trail/Moorefield - Nexus Player - 8 ms - 1080p60 supported (may need a USB OTG Ethernet adapter for consistent performance)
    Razer Forge TV - 10 ms - 1080p60 supported - H.265 supported
    Tegra X1 - SHIELD Android TV - 10 ms - 4K60 supported - H.265 supported in hardware but needs changes in Moonlight to work well
    Tegra K1 - Nexus 9 - 15 ms - 1080p60 supported
    Tegra 3 - OUYA and Nexus 7 (2012) - 17 ms - 1080p60 supported

Tier 2 devices:
    Broadcom VideoCore IV - Fire TV Stick - 20 ms - 720p60/1080p30 supported
    Exynos 7420 - Galaxy S6 - 20 ms - 1080p60/4K30 supported - H.265 supported
    Snapdragon S4 Pro (rebranded 600) - Nexus 7 (2013) - 20 ms - 720p60/1080p30 supported
    Snapdragon 801 - HTC One M8 GPE - 20 ms - 1080p60 supported
    Snapdragon 800 - Nexus 5 - 20 ms - 1080p60 supported
    Snapdragon 600 - Fire TV (2014) - 30 ms - 720p60/1080p30 supported

Tier 3 devices:
    MediaTek devices - Fire TV (2015) - 55 ms - 1080p60 supported - H.265 supported

Adding games/apps that aren't automatically found
    You can stream any almost any game or app by adding the EXE file to GFE manually (if it's not found by the automatic app scan). Open GeForce Experience, click the Preferences tab, click GameStream on the sidebar, then click the add (+) button on the right. Browse to the app or file you want to add and click OK. You can rename the app using the edit button on the right (near the add button).

Using Moonlight as a remote desktop solution
    You can stream the entire Windows desktop via Moonlight. Follow step 2 from this guide

Streaming over the Internet
    Install the Moonlight Internet Streaming Helper on your host gaming PC to enable streaming over the Internet. If your router supports UPnP, you won't need to make any manual changes.

If the above tool isn't able to enable Internet streaming automatically or your router doesn't support it, forward these ports manually:
    TCP 47984, 47989, 48010
    UDP 47998, 47999, 48000, 48010

General requirements for current APK:
    SoC capable of decoding H.264 High Profile in hardware (Snapdragon, Exynos, Tegra 3 or higher, Rockchip, and more)
    Android 4.1 or higher
    GeForce Experience with a GTX 600/700/800/900 GPU or GTX 600M/700M/800M (GT-series not supported)
    Xbox, PS3 (with SixAxis app), Moga (B/HID mode), Shield, or Ouya controller (other controllers may work too in HID mode)
    Mid to high-end wireless router (preferably dual-band 802.11n or better)
    Good wireless connection to your Android device

Troubleshooting tips:
    1. Make sure GeForce Experience is open, up-to-date, and that you've scanned for games.

2. Make sure your device is on the same network as your computer for initial pairing.

3. Try disabling any firewall software running on your machine.

4. Try rebooting your machine. Sometimes the streaming software gets into a messed up state where it won't work normally until the machine is rebooted.

5. Make sure your Android device has a strong wireless connection (and your PC too, if it's connected wirelessly).

6. For Internet streaming, make sure to install Moonlight Internet Streaming Helper on your host gaming PC, then run the Moonlight Internet Streaming Tester that it installs to troubleshoot further.

7. To check if GFE is working properly, try navigating to the following URLs on your GFE PC:
    http://127.0.0.1:47989/serverinfo?uniqueid=1234
    https://127.0.0.1:47984/serverinfo?uniqueid=1234

For those with latency issues, please see this post.

Device-related issues
    Depending on the wireless chipset on your phone/tablet, you may have a bad streaming experience if Bluetooth is active while streaming. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this. If you experience significant connection degradation with a Bluetooth controller connected, you could try connecting the controller to your PC (see the section above), a USB Ethernet adapter, or controller that connects directly to your Android device (assuming your Android device supports USB OTG)

Older Changes:

Update 12 - March 13, 2014:
    Significant video quality improvements. Lower video latency. New UI that makes it easier to choose the best streaming settings. Transient messages are displayed while streaming if network or device problems are detected.

Update 11:
    Tegra hardware decoding latency bug is fixed. Hardware decoding is now used by default on Tegra and Rockchip devices. Performance is vastly improved on Tegra devices (1080p60 decodes in real-time, even on Tegra 3). The parser bug causing additional artifacts and image corruption is (finally) fixed.

Update 10:
    Added options to force either hardware or software decoding. Reduce audio decoding CPU usage. Fix image quality and performance regressions from update 9.

Update 9:
    Reduced CPU usage of video decoding. Added options to choose target resolution (720p or 1080p) and FPS (30 or 60).

Update 8:
    Added a checkbox to choose image quality vs performance (only for CPU decoding). Optimize CPU decoding further. The frame rate is now playable on the Ouya with its Tegra 3..

Update 7:
    Connectivity issues should be resolved now. Update to the latest APK if you were experiencing connection failures with the last couple of releases.

Update 6:
    There's now GUI feedback when connecting. The whitelist for hardware decoding (that only included Qualcomm decoders) has now been replaced with a blacklist (currently containing TI and Nvidia decoders). The Exynos decoder in Exynos 5 Octa has been confirmed to work.

Update 5:
    The app will now request a new reference frame if packet loss occurs on the video stream. This means that the stream will recover from blockiness and artifacting that occur when video packets get lost. CPU decoding for non-Snapdragon devices is a bit better. Fixed back button on Shield.

Update 4:
    Added multithreaded CPU H264 decoding support for non-Snapdragon devices with ffmpeg. Both landscape orientations now work. This grows the APK significantly so don't be alarmed when this download is larger than previous builds.

Tegra 4 is now very smooth in the games I've tested. Tegra 3 works significantly better than before, but still not perfect (and won't likely ever be as smooth as Snapdragon or Tegra 4).

For Qualcomm devices, a dual-core SoC (even as old as Cortex-A8 stuff) is sufficient due to the hardware decoder. For other devices, CPU decoding will now be used. These devices will need more CPU horsepower (a quad-core Tegra 3 is almost enough).

Look forward to keyboard support and a better GUI coming in the next several days.

Update 3:
    Frame pacing improvements for Snapdragon and Tegra devices, although Tegra still has more latency than Snapdragon devices. If you have issues with blockiness or discoloration in the video stream, make sure that you have a good wireless connection. Moonlight doesn't currently deal with packet loss as well as the Shield streaming app.

Update 2:
    PS3, Xbox, Shield, and Moga Pro controllers are working with the latest APK.

Update:
    Audio is now working. Video is working pretty well on Snapdragon devices (with some lag on Tegra devices). I've attached the current APK here for those that want to test. Due to the framework we're using for video decoding, this app requires Android 4.1 or higher. This is still in alpha so expect bugs.

Original post:
    Here is a demo of a WIP app that uses the same Shield streaming technology to stream to any Android device. Controller and mouse input works. Keyboard input isn't implemented yet. Video support works (minus some artifacts at rare points and minor frame pacing issues). Audio doesn't work yet (not sure what format it is).

We've had success with very low H264 decoding latency on Snapdragon S4 Pro/600 devices (like the 2013 Nexus 7 and HTC One), but the Tegra 3/4 decoder has a high latency per frame (~1 second) that makes streaming more laggy on devices like the Ouya, 2012 Nexus 7, and even the Shield itself.

The next big step to a release-ready app is audio support (and the obligatory code cleanup). I'd be happy to respond to any questions about the way the app or the GFE streaming protocol works. If there's significant interest in this, I'll try to put more time into finishing it ASAP.

Demo video (a bit old now):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOti83qZRU

Downloads:
    I'd recommend downloading the app from the Play Store. Updates are automatically applied through the Play Store when they are released. Crash reports also get to us automatically if you use the Play Store version and click the Report button if Moonlight crashes.

Google Play Link

Sometimes APKs are more convenient for sideloading and other things, so they will continue to be posted.

You can find the latest APKs on the GitHub page here: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-android/releases
    Moonlight Chrome Test Build (Alpha 1)

Since there seems to be some interest in this Moonlight port for Chrome, I've decided to put a binary up for testing. Please report your thoughts on it.

Working:
    - Pairing and streaming
    - Hardware accelerated video decoding up to 1080p60
    - Game controllers (currently limited to those for which Chrome has a built-in mapping, like Xbox and DualShock controllers)
    - Keyboard and mouse input (with the caveat of Esc kicking the app out of full screen)

Not working:
    - No feedback when starting a stream - just be patient and wait for the video stream
    - mDNS auto-discovery of PCs
    - (Very) Non-final UI
    - A few settings are missing
    - Error handling needs work
    - Controller detection can be wonky at times (try fully exiting and restarting Chrome)

To install, drag the CRX file into the Extensions (Menu -> More Tools -> Extensions) page of Chrome.

To launch, use Chrome App Launcher, the Extensions page, or just search for Moonlight on your PC and you should see it installed like a normal program.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml92xvot25yn23x/moonlight-chrome.crx?dl=0
    Good News about Qualcomm Decoder Latency

I found by luck that the SDP attributes on the new GFE beta 2.4.0.9 allow the client to adjust video slicing parameters. I've released a new build that enables slicing on GFE 2.4 to reduce latency of Qualcomm devices (hopefully back to 2.1.3 levels). It will also improve the latency on the Fire TV as it's also a Qualcomm device.

The build is rolling out on Play Store, waiting for review on Amazon store, and up on GitHub now.

Remember, you MUST have GFE beta updates turned on and be running GFE 2.4.0.9 or higher with Limelight v3.1.4.

You can enable beta updates for GFE on the Preferences tab in the General pane.
    Another GFE 2.1 status update: success!

I've figured out secure pairing and encrypted input (required for GFE 2.1) and implemented them in Limelight-common. There's just a bit more work to do for platform-specific support (certificate and private key generation and storage) on Android and PC. My PoC code was able to stream from a GFE 2.1 box over the Internet to a custom version of Limelight-PC.

I'm off for some much needed rest (4:54 AM here), but we're on the home stretch. Expect a release for Android and PC in the next day or so.

Update: It's done! Limelight Android version 2.3 is rolling out on the Play Store, waiting for approval on the Ouya store, and posted https://github.com/limelight-stream/limelight-android/releases. Limelight PC is released too https://github.com/limelight-stream/limelight-pc/releases
    Moonlight Chrome Test Build (Alpha 2)

Changes from Alpha 1:
    - Fixed Esc key kicking the app out of full-screen (press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Q to quit)
    - Fixed sometimes requiring a restart of Chrome for gamepad detection to work
    - Added mDNS auto-discovery of PCs

Working:
    - Pairing and streaming
    - Hardware accelerated video decoding up to 1080p60
    - Game controllers (currently limited to those for which Chrome has a built-in mapping, like Xbox and DualShock controllers)
    - Keyboard and mouse input
    - mDNS auto-discovery of PCs

Not working:
    - No feedback when starting a stream - just be patient and wait for the video stream
    - (Very) Non-final UI
    - A few settings are missing
    - Error handling needs work

To install, drag the CRX file into the Extensions (Menu -> More Tools -> Extensions) page of Chrome.

To launch, use Chrome App Launcher, the Extensions page, or just search for Moonlight on your PC and you should see it installed like a normal program.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19391088/moonlight-chrome-alpha2.crx