[APP]Waterlevel 0.2 (Another waterlevel application!)

Search This thread

Wiebbe

Apr 4, 2007
Well, there are already a couple of applications out there already, but i was playing with the SDK and just trying some stuff out in visual studio so i thought, why dont i just release it?

Its a first release, it does work, has some basic calibration and im trying to make a bit more visually appealing that just some bars ;)

So,

version 0.2:

- Updated graphics of the "Circle" compass/meter. Now actually looks like a compass thingy :p
- Added the ability to actually save the calibration data, and to let you know its doing something and its done.
- Created an CAB Installer to install the addon.
- Made all pictures internal resources.

version 0.1:

shows an Water level for the X and Y Axis, an circle "meter" and an light meter. There arent any big bugs that i know off, but i didnt implement the "maximal" meter bars yet. That means the measure bars can go a bit beyond the container :p

Requirements:

You do need the Compact framework 2.0, it will (unfortunatly) not work without it! But seeing as everyone already has the lightsaber application i guess its not that much of an issue ;)

Other:

If anyone has some suggestions or comments (bad or good..) just let me know..

Source:

I added the source code if anyone is interested. Its not some good code, and the calibration could be alot more detailed, but perhaps it helps someone :p

Oh, and if anyone reflects the application and starts to rant about how my code sucks, i didnt optimize it or plan ahead, i just started to code some :p

Attachments

• Screen03.jpg
    Screen03.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 45,961
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: timoteorex

KukurikU

Nov 23, 2006
Rehovot
1. congrats and keep the good work! it is refreshing to see a newbie that brings something to the forum and don't start with a wining post.
2. i really hope you'll receive only positive feed back (not so common here;) ) and allow me to be the first one to say: no, i don't think yr code sucks:D
3. is the calibration function working?
4. can you explain what "lumens" are doing here. lumens is an international measure unit for light. are u trying to use the internal light sensor to measure the light? this could be a good idea and i'll be very interested.

Radeon123

Apr 27, 2007
Neath
Awesome app, calibration works perfectly and saves the setting ok and that light sensor is a nice addon.

Would love to see this made into a .cab installation and perhaps make this app work with the AppToDate program for easy updates.

Look forward to future updates :)

This is going in my favourite apps :D

Last edited:

KukurikU

Nov 23, 2006
Rehovot
awesome it is! great app.
explain please what is with light measuring pls....only measuring or calibrating the automatic light level also?
thanks!!!:)

Wiebbe

Apr 4, 2007
No, it measures the amount of light the light sensor receives. I will eventually add an cab installer, but seeing as its still in the "works" i am not bothering with it yet :p

The calibration works, its not as awesome as the BubbleLevel one yet. When you press the button let the diamond lay there for 3 seconds, and then it calibrates. I wont update the backlight.

The light sensor only shows the value, it doesnt update the backlight it self. I tried doing that, but i can only turn the backlight on very bright, very dim and off. Not somewhere in between :(

dutch64

Jan 27, 2008
Calibration

Nice app! I like the light sensor also, i finally found out where the light sensor really is:)

It calibrates fine but does it actually saves it somewhere? the moment i close the app and start Teeter, still not calibrated.

So far non of the apps around here were able (for me) to save the calibration. Some people mentioned success though and since I have tried by now all available roms and on none the calibration works, i get this idea that there are several versions of the sensor (hardware) around...

Anyhow, good to see a new app like this and success with it!:)

Wiebbe

Apr 4, 2007
No, the calibration it not saved yet, i will add that soon. The problem with the calibration data is that its reset on reboot. The only tool that i know of comes from a different telephone (Raphael or something) and does save the calibration. But not all roms work with this.

So the calibration from almost all applications will only work on the application itself :(

Kisja

Aug 22, 2005
Wow, thats the best waterlevel prog here around! Nice graphics, but still very simple. And the lights measurment is very nice too!

Very good work! Thanks!

Wiebbe

Apr 4, 2007
I updated te first post with version 0.2. I added some more graphics (lightmeter still had to be done :p) an saving of the calibration data for this app only.

@ KukurikU:

Well, i created a simple icon. I tend to like simple stuff that easily identifies a software app..

KukurikU

Nov 23, 2006
Rehovot
i put my diamond on a real level meter, bring the level meter to 0,0,0 and pressed "calibrate" and now i can use my diamond as a level meter.:)....until next reset..

uniqueboy

Apr 11, 2006
Accuracy is a little off, well a lot off, on vertical measurements, try to get it to read 90 degrees, could this be an issue with the G sensor itself?

KukurikU

Nov 23, 2006
Rehovot
Accuracy is a little off, well a lot off, on vertical measurements, try to get it to read 90 degrees, could this be an issue with the G sensor itself?
hard to tell who is to blame. look at the experiment/calibrate method described in my previous post.
i found my diamond to be "off" by 1.4-2 degrees (am i lucky or what?!) and after calibration 0,0 it stayed this way after playing with it quite a bit.
edit: sorry, my bad, now i get it...you r right, on vertical about 7 degrees off... getting 97-96 degrees.

Wiebbe

Apr 4, 2007
Well, its not that the accuracy is really off. The SDK returns a certain value and its kinda hard to precisely convert it :)

Ill see what i can do, working on a different way to calculate the angle now.

edit:

Its odd, when i place the diamond vertically against a flat surface (whick should be 90 degrees) the build in Angle says 98 (from the raw data) my calculated one says 92. so its hard to decide which one is correct :p

After some more testing, it seems that all other applications have the same "error". Bubblelevel says 97 degrees as well when i place it against an 90 degree angle object. Same goes for SpiritLevel. I made a new way to calculate it which seems to be more "accurate" with the angles. But it still wont be 100%! Well, the number of degrees isnt 100% accurate, the bar it self ofcourse does work properly!

Last edited:

uniqueboy

Apr 11, 2006
Does the output from the G sensor give X,Y,Z or just X,Y ? That coul be a problem when measuring the vertical. If it's just X,Y then maybe when tipped past a certain threshold an error message should be given, or even an audible warning.

Wiebbe

Apr 4, 2007
The SDK in rawdata form gives back the following:

Angle for X
Angle for Y

Tilt value for Y
Tilt value for X
Tilt value for Z

The angle values are really in degrees, the same as SpiritLevel. They output around the same values as i output.

The tilt values are something from 0 till 1000+, you can see these in BubbleLevel as well at the calibration. I used the angles before, but these arent very correct.

Ill see if i can get myself a watermeter and an setting where i create an real 90 degrees setting so i can calculate a bit what the real values should be :p

It could be my house is like 97 degrees sloping, but i doubt that ^^

dont forget that an angle of 97 is possible if you tilt it above the 90 degrees value..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, there are already a couple of applications out there already, but i was playing with the SDK and just trying some stuff out in visual studio so i thought, why dont i just release it?

Its a first release, it does work, has some basic calibration and im trying to make a bit more visually appealing that just some bars ;)

So,

version 0.2:

- Updated graphics of the "Circle" compass/meter. Now actually looks like a compass thingy :p
    - Added the ability to actually save the calibration data, and to let you know its doing something and its done.
    - Created an CAB Installer to install the addon.
    - Made all pictures internal resources.

version 0.1:

shows an Water level for the X and Y Axis, an circle "meter" and an light meter. There arent any big bugs that i know off, but i didnt implement the "maximal" meter bars yet. That means the measure bars can go a bit beyond the container :p

Requirements:

You do need the Compact framework 2.0, it will (unfortunatly) not work without it! But seeing as everyone already has the lightsaber application i guess its not that much of an issue ;)

Other:

If anyone has some suggestions or comments (bad or good..) just let me know..

Source:

I added the source code if anyone is interested. Its not some good code, and the calibration could be alot more detailed, but perhaps it helps someone :p

Oh, and if anyone reflects the application and starts to rant about how my code sucks, i didnt optimize it or plan ahead, i just started to code some :p