[SKN] Customizing the Windows Taskbar [UPDATE-26/10/2008]

Search This thread

FInixNOver

Nov 18, 2005
As my [SKN] FInixNOver VGA Battery/Network Icons thread as become cluttered with unusable information, and it went out of the thread's range, I've decided to get it closed and create a new one with more useful information.

So now, instead of just the battery and network icons, we can discuss about all the icons on the taskbar, in a thread that was created with that purpose.

It will be divided by sections. Each section will correspond to the icons changed by each dll and/or mui file. So this means I'll have to update this, and for that I'll need your help. How? Simple! By sending me a PM when:

• you have found a different dll/mui - name of the dll and which icons does it change in the taskbar;
  • you have made a contribution - small description, which section does it belong to and the link to the post.
NOTE:
This is not an application; it’s just aesthetics, so no extra memory will be consumed.
Whether your device is running an official ROM or a cooked ROM, it may not work until you install the sdkcerts.cab. This cab will only set your device to accept the digital signature used to sign phcanOverbmp.dll and the other modified dll’s, so the device can be able to display the icons.
Do this at your own risk! I cannot be held responsible if you brick your device. I'm just supplying information from my own and others experience.

Installing:

(using phcanOverbmp.dll as an example)
Download the cab and/or zip file you wish to use.
If you’re using the cab, just copy it to your device and run it; if you’re using the zip, you have to copy the phcanOverbmp.dll to Windows folder in your device (using a file explorer like Total Commander or Resco explorer), and import FInix VGA Battery and Network Icons.reg with a registry editor in your device (if you don't have one, you can use Dotfred taskmanager with registry editor included); in both cases you’ll have to perform a soft reset to apply the changes.
To replace a file which has already been replaced before, you'll need to follow the steps 1 and 2 of the uninstalling process (for some files you may not need to soft reset the device).

Uninstalling:

(using phcanOverbmp.dll as an example)
If you have installed from the zip, there’s a few steps you’ll have to follow to get the old icons back.

1. Go to Windows folder on your device and rename phcanOverbmp.dll to phcanOverbmp.dll.bak and soft reset the device.
  2. Now you can delete the phcanOverbmp.dll.bak that is no longer being used by the device.
  3. To finalize the uninstall process and have the old battery icon back, you have to edit the following reg entry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\security\ResOver\Bitmaps]
"BatteryIconLevels"=dword:65 (hexadecimal) or 101 (decimal) -> dword:15 (hexadecimal) or 21 (decimal)

NOTE:
You can follow the steps 1 and 2 to remove any dll/mui you have customized.
To perform file operations such as renaming and/or deleting, you must use a more powerful file explorer than the built in one. You should use something like Total Commander or Resco Explorer.
There's no need to backup the files you're going to edit! Why? Because you'll be replacing ROM files, and theses files are not really replaced.
The best way to explain it is that, they will remain "hidden" under the new file. Once you delete your edited file, the original ROM file will be "unhidden". So, to have the original file, just delete your edited one.

How to make your own set of Battery Icons:

You'll need some programs, and of course, the dll.

How to do it?

• First, remove the digital signature from the dll you’re going to edit, because the icons you’ll be replacing later can have different color depths and that will leave you with an unusable dll (meaning that you’ll not be able to re-sign it).
    • To unsign a file, all you have to do is drag the dll/mui file over the unsigner.exe and release it. A command window will open and close. You will know if the file has been unsigned by checking its size (it will be smaller). Also remember that the file can't be as read only or the tool will not be able to unsign it.
  • Then, using the resource editor extract the icons, you wish to edit, from the dll.
  • With the icon creator application, or by searching the web, make/get your icons.
  • After this, use the resource editor once again to replace the now edited icons inside the dll.
  • To finish, re-sign the dll using the Multiple File Signer tool.
That's it!

Before we start, here's the link to the first post on my old thread, where you can get some of the contributions already made. (I've updated the first post there)
I'll be separating them into the right sections in this thread, so, I you're one of the contributers, you can help me by checking your links in that post, and sending me a PM with the description for each link.
Thanks to you all!! And enjoy!!

Attachments

• sdkcerts.cab
    4.6 KB · Views: 25,513
Last edited:

FInixNOver

Nov 18, 2005
phcanOverbmp.dll and HTCVolumeControl.dll

phcanOverbmp.dll

Icons you can change in this dll
phcanoverbmpdlliconmx0.png

In this file you can find the battery, network, signal strength, activesync, Wi-Fi and sound(as long as you're not using the HTCVolumeControl) icons.

Important:
In order to see all of the icons included in this file, the dialer skin must be enabled.

Contributions from the users:

Battery icons White from 100% to 30% and color from 30% to 1% by mccune.

Percentage Battery icons by tyler08.

3G, H, battery, charging, activesync, wifi, etc by omniwolf.

Battery Icons by shareloader.

battery icons, headset icons by Ghostrider.

Battery Simple version, Battery Simple V2 by Netsnoop.

Battery icons - cab here by Teppic24.

Battery and other icons - cab here by carloshdez.

gold theme Battery & some icons mods by ch99_lee.

Full taskbar makeover by kooled.

Battery and other icons by shonan70.

HTCVolumeControl.dll

htcvolumecontroldlleo1.png

In this file you can find the sound icons.

VolumeControl icons by omniwolf.

VolumeControl icons by Ghostrider.

VolumeControl icons by soterisk.

VolumeControl icons by afterburn.

© Copyright. Copyright in the pages, screens, text, files and images appearing in this thread is owned by originating owner(s) or others as indicated. The information and materials contained in the thread may not be distributed, licensed, modified, published, reposted, reproduced, reused, sold, transmitted, used to create a derivative work or otherwise used for public or commercial purposes without express written permission of the originating owner(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

FInixNOver

Nov 18, 2005
shellres.192.dll / shellres.192.dll.0409.mui and LargeTitleBar.dll

shellres.192.dll / shellres.192.dll.0409.mui

Icons you can change in this dll/mui
shellres192dlltotalxg9.png

In this file you can find the start logo icon, along with some others that will not be discussed here.
If you're not using the dialer skin, you can also find the network, signal strength, activesync, Wi-Fi and sound(as long as you're not using the HTCVolumeControl) icons.

syncing progress and signal strength by omniwolf.

Full taskbar makeover by kooled.

Battery and other icons by shonan70.

LargeTitleBar.dll

largetitlebardllyi9.png

In this file you can find the some of the mainly used icons.

Important:
I haven't tested it myself but, in order to see all of the icons included in this file you probably must have the Large TitleBar enabled.

Last edited:

FInixNOver

Nov 18, 2005
MMSRes_480x640.Dll and notify.dll / notify.dll.0409.mui

MMSRes_480x640.Dll

mmsres480x640dlliconzi2.png

In this file you can find the MMS status icons.

notify.dll / notify.dll.0409.mui (I still haven't tested this one but someone reported that the device will crash)

Check here

Icons you can change in this dll/mui
notifydlliq8.png

In this file you can change the icon for the notifications.

Last edited:

FInixNOver

Nov 18, 2005
outres.192.dll and tapres.192.dll

outres.192.dll

outres192dllcm4.png

In this file you can find the received Email and SMS icons.

tapres.192.dll

tapres192dlldf0.png

In this file you can find the voicemail and notification by SMS icons, along with a few other icons.

Last edited:

darklord69

Jun 30, 2007
Hong Kong
Would it be an idea to post unmodified phcanOverbmp.dll, shellres.192.dll and htcvolumecontrol.dll files?

Would be useful for people who mess things up without taking a backup, and also useful for those (like me) who can't copy shellres.192.dll from their Windows folder cos it's a hidden system file.

The 1st rule: never change the file unless you have keep a backup of it safely.

You should use something like "ROM Extractor" to copy the hidden system file out. It's free and safe to do so.

I can tell you different version of phcanoverbmp.dll, shellres.192.dll & htcvolumecontrol.dll may not work on different version of ROM (I have tried and proved). So, one should backup his only system files before modifying those files. In case something went wrong and can't start your deveice, just hard reset it and those files will be restored automatically.

Last edited:

FInixNOver

Nov 18, 2005
I prefer seeing the memory status just like the battery in the task bar. Currently I use the top bar of SBSH iLauncher to have a memory meter displays on the task bar.

This thread is meant for tweaking all the icons in the taskbar, not just the battery.

Would it be an idea to post unmodified phcanOverbmp.dll, shellres.192.dll and htcvolumecontrol.dll files?

Would be useful for people who mess things up without taking a backup, and also useful for those (like me) who can't copy shellres.192.dll from their Windows folder cos it's a hidden system file.

Here's your answer
...erm... you don't REALLY have to backup ROM based files. If you delete the file you "overwritten" them with, automagically, the ROM based surfaces. Didn't you know?

But I guess I can put the "untouched" files for those of you that can't extract them from the ROM (the files from an official ROM also work, so this would be another reason for not having to post them ;))

No screenshots because this is not specific. This topic, is not about something I made, is to help everyone in tweaking the taskbar, and unless you don't know what the taskbar is, I guess there's no need for screenshots at this point.

I want to use my old Battery Icons (org. HTC) but i can't uninstall your Icons because the file phcanOverbmp.dll can't rename to phcanOverbmp.dll.bak!
I don't understand the Programm Unsigner / what i must to do with it ?

Can any one help me?

To perform file operations such as renaming and/or deleting, you must use a more powerful file explorer than the built in one. You should use something like Total Commander or Resco Explorer.
To unsign a file, all you have to do is drag the dll/mui file over the unsigner.exe and release it. A command window will open and close. You will know if the file has been unsigned by checking its size (it will be smaller). Also remember that the file can't be as read only or the tool will not be able to unsign it.

First post has been updated with these informations.

omniwolf

Jan 13, 2005
sydney
sms and new mail icons

Here's my latest. i found the new mail notification and sms notification file, i've put some colours in :)
the left one is SMS, the right one is new mail notification.

attachment.php

same install procedure as always.

FInixNOver: for your install procedure, you might want to add that if total commander doesn't allow you to overwrite the file in the windows folder, you should try renaming the file in the windows folder first.

Attachments

• new-mail2.jpg
    new-mail2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 28,492
  • outres.192.zip
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,674

shonan70

May 2, 2007
i had done an sms icon hope u guys like it;)

Attachments

• outres.192.zip
    108.4 KB · Views: 583
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 3,666

FInixNOver

Nov 18, 2005
Originally Posted by lmr2003
Hi all,

Sorry in advance if this issue is solve for others but I'm facing a strange probleme.

I can change all the icons, it works fine but for the volume I can't and I don't know why

I have the icon and the when I enter my pin code it desapear and i have then the standard one.

Is there someone who can help me ?

-----------------------------

Problem solved ! Thanks
No way to have it working, i have the same issue. Also i've installed the sdkcerts & the two cabs from Kooled

Bandit13 has already answered your question.

The volume icons (speaker,silent and vibrate) are located in htcvolumecontrol.dll

Sebastien

Edit : oups, your problem is solved !

even if ive unsigned the dll file i cant replace the icons with another one with different color depth...(ie 8bit to 32bit).
someone can help me please?

If you're using PE Explorer, it will not allow you to replace icons with ones that have different color depths.
To achieve that you must use either Restorator or ResHack.

and

and

i had done an sms icon hope u guys like it

I'll add it to the correct section at the initial posts when I get to that dll. Thanks for the contribution.

First of all thanks for this thread I spent hours browsing the last one... this is SO much nicer :) Anyway I hope this is not the totally wrong thread for this but has anyone managed to change the icon for the taskmanager? I know this is not related to the actual windows icons but it IS a part of the taskbar ... Then at least we'd have all icons done
I am no coder so I sadly don't know but perhaps someone can help out here?

Thanks!

The task manager icon, is actually a bmp.
This is the list of files for the task manager
Code:
closeallbutton.bmp
close_all.png
close_all_16.png
close_all_32.png
close_all_64.png
close_all_disable.png
close_all_disable_16.png
close_all_disable_32.png
close_all_disable_64.png
down_disable_16.bmp
down_disable_32.bmp
down_disable_64.bmp
down_enable_16.bmp
down_enable_32.bmp
down_enable_64.bmp
exitbutton.bmp
Exit_Button_Down.png
Exit_Button_Down_16.png
Exit_Button_Down_32.png
Exit_Button_Down_64.png
Exit_Button_Up.png
Exit_Button_Up_16.png
Exit_Button_Up_32.png
Exit_Button_Up_64.png
memory.png
memorybutton.bmp
memory_16.png
memory_32.png
memory_64.png
optionsbutton.bmp
quickmenudown.bmp
quickmenuicon.bmp
quickmenuup.bmp
redexitbutton.bmp
settings.png
settings_16.png
settings_32.png
settings_64.png
TaskManager.cpl
TaskManager.cpl.0816.mui
TaskManager.htm
TaskManager.lnk
TaskManagerApp.exe
TaskManagerApp.exe.0816.mui
TaskManagerLite.exe
TaskManagerLite.exe.0816.mui
taskmgrCustRes.dll
taskservice.dll
TmAppLauncher.exe
uncheckable.bmp
up_disable_16.bmp
up_disable_32.bmp
up_disable_64.bmp
up_enable_16.bmp
up_enable_32.bmp
up_enable_64.bmp
X-Button.htm
X-Button.lnk
I think the one you want is quickmenuicon.bmp.

shonan70

May 2, 2007
ok another one from me this time with an email notification as well too bad i do not have a email account setup so will not be able to show the result but i will be glad if someone can post the screenshot anyway u guys njoy

Attachments

• email.png
    email.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 20,094
  • Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,257
  • outres.192.zip
    108.4 KB · Views: 213

massi959

Dec 12, 2005
Of course.
In the attachment you can find all the files I have used : phcanOverbmp.dll, HTCVolumeControl.dll, outres.192.dll, shellres.192.dll.0410.mui (you must rename this file from 0410 to 04xx according with the localisation of your ROM).

Attachments

• Full_Topbar.zip
    528.3 KB · Views: 2,566
Last edited:

vphk

Jun 19, 2008
Of course.
In the attachment you can find all the files I have used : phcanOverbmp.dll, HTCVolumeControl.dll, outres.192.dll, shellres.192.dll.0410.mui (you must rename this file from 0410 to 04xx according with the localisation of your ROM).

Thank you very much, now is my homescreen more nicer ! :)

Attachments

• Screen02.jpg
    Screen02.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,935

massi959

Dec 12, 2005
The Radio signal is into shellres.192.dll.0410.mui.

Have you renamed this file from 0410 to your localisation?

vphk

Jun 19, 2008
Renamed to 0409 and installed through a CAB, battery readings are wrong, shows 13% instead of 70something

For battery problem - you have to edit registry and change value 21 to 101 in in HKLM\Security\... it is in the first post.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\security\ResOver\Bitmaps]
"BatteryIconLevels"=dword:101 (decimal)

Has anybody idea, where is stored icon for missed call ? I want to change it too.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you edited file shellres96.dll.0409.mui by using PE Explorer hence you can see animated wait cursors like picture under this and you can change it by animated wait cursors which you wishs isn't it