[APP] WIFI Remote Access: Remote control, SMS and File transfer through a web browser

Search This thread

link8506

Jan 20, 2007
Toulon
www.julien-manici.com
Hi,

Here is a free application I've developed for Windows Mobile 6.x.

http://www.julien-manici.com/windows_mobile_wifi_remote_access/

It's basically a web server (and FTP server) that runs on your device so that you can browse its content from a web browser. No software install computer side.

It works either with :
-a WIFI connection,
-an USB connection (Windows Mobile Device Center or -ActiveSync needs to be installed and Advanced networking functionnality must not have been disabled on the device)

It serves mostly html pages, but for pictures browsing under Internet Explorer 7/8 it will show a .net/WPF/3D based UI that brings support for multiple file upload (any file type, not just pictures)

Now available on the English-US marketplace :

Basic version (free) :
http://marketplace.windowsphone.com/details.aspx?appId=46773904-92eb-498e-8e23-24578de7e9d4
Premium version :
http://marketplace.windowsphone.com/details.aspx?appId=23c7f4c9-9ecc-4b1f-b82b-3cb614d53059

web_interface_english.jpg
xbap_wpf_web_browser_app.jpg

wifi_remote_access_windows_mobile_standard.png
WIFI_remote_access.png
sms.png
remote_control_fr.png

multiple_file_upload_xbap.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: poyensa

link8506

Jan 20, 2007
Toulon
www.julien-manici.com
Is it possible for this to work over 3G? In my area, the 3G connection is ridiculously fast.

That would be indeed good.
I did nothing to prevent incoming request from connected network interfaces.
This means a connection could come from WIFI, usb with advanced networking enabled, or 3G. (note that it always ask you to authorize the incoming connection)

But that will probably not work with 3G, because most mobile network operators don't provide a public IP address, but a private IP address with a NAT routing system. No way to etablish a connection from another computer on the internet. (It can be possible only from another device in the same operator network).

Maybe there are some mobile operator who provide public IP addresses to their customers, in this case, this should work. But I'm not aware of any mobile operator doing that :(

This is also the reason why there haven't been massive ownage of jailbreaked iphones with ssh enabled with alpine root pwd! (until a few weeks ago in a specific mobile operator network)

Anyway I will probably build an azure based service someday (if there is enough demand) to provide some sort of relay to make this feature possible. But I won't be able to provide it for free, since windows azure hosting is not free. I'm thinking to do that to enable SMS sending/reading from a computer anytime, as Exchange 2010 does.

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
a login system would be able to take care of that.. but would require a public server to translate logins from the phone and their 3G IPs to the PC side of it..

Just food for thought ;)

link8506

Jan 20, 2007
Toulon
www.julien-manici.com
a login system would be able to take care of that.. but would require a public server to translate logins from the phone and their 3G IPs to the PC side of it..

Just food for thought ;)

you mean, the phone should connect to the user computer to etablish direct connection over the internet? (since the opposite is not possible)

sure, that is possible but it would need a software running on the user computer and it will not work for people behind a NAT or firewall. They will have to configure their nat/firewall to allow incoming connection to their computer.

So, there's no easy solution :(, except using a server to allow communication between the windows mobile device and the computer, which would cost me money to operate. But I don't like the fact that the users data would transit to my server. It would be a big responsability, security speaking. Thus, I'm still thinking about it.

link8506

Jan 20, 2007
Toulon
www.julien-manici.com

thank you :)

Works great... Do you have a donation link?

the application is free and the final release (available in a few days) will be free too, but the current beta is time bombed, because I was afraid to lose control in case there would be a major bug in the beta : there is no auto update system, and I know some people already put it on rapidshare, that's why I put a time bomb in the beta version.

However I'm thinking to sell it on the marketplace (French and US) for 2$, because this application is a lot of work... but it will still be available for free outside the marketplace.

So, if you like the final release, you will be able to pay for it if you want to support me! ;)

sqlmotoq

Nov 7, 2007
Awesome Application

This works exceptionally well. I tried it out before I left for work this morning and I must say that it is a great application and a wonderful concept. I will definitely leave a donation soon as I can. I see myself using this app quite frequently. Once again great work and thanks for sharing:):rolleyes::cool:

wingmanjd

Feb 23, 2006
Reading, PA
lpiw.servegame.com
That would be indeed good.
I did nothing to prevent incoming request from connected network interfaces.
This means a connection could come from WIFI, usb with advanced networking enabled, or 3G. (note that it always ask you to authorize the incoming connection)

But that will probably not work with 3G, because most mobile network operators don't provide a public IP address, but a private IP address with a NAT routing system. No way to etablish a connection from another computer on the internet. (It can be possible only from another device in the same operator network).

Maybe there are some mobile operator who provide public IP addresses to their customers, in this case, this should work. But I'm not aware of any mobile operator doing that :(

This is also the reason why there haven't been massive ownage of jailbreaked iphones with ssh enabled with alpine root pwd! (until a few weeks ago in a specific mobile operator network)

Anyway I will probably build an azure based service someday (if there is enough demand) to provide some sort of relay to make this feature possible. But I won't be able to provide it for free, since windows azure hosting is not free. I'm thinking to do that to enable SMS sending/reading from a computer anytime, as Exchange 2010 does.

I think you can do this via 3G using openVPN for the windows mobile. I don't see why this wouldn't work.

webguy05

Aug 8, 2008
works great!

Great program! I'm getting an error message that it's not finding some of the files on my storage card, but when I type the directory in manually it works. Maybe it's because my music files are in "My Ringtones" and not "My Music":confused:

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 55

link8506

Jan 20, 2007
Toulon
www.julien-manici.com
I think you can do this via 3G using openVPN for the windows mobile. I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Nice, I didn't think about that!
You could indeed connect via 3G using a VPN solution, if you have a VPN server at home and the appropriate routing configuration (or use the windows VPN creation assistant), it will be the same as if the device is directly connected to the local network, thus it should be reachable.

link8506

Jan 20, 2007
Toulon
www.julien-manici.com
I'm getting a 403 Error Access is forbidden no matter what password I'm using. I even try the preview on the device and still get the error.

I have a Raphael (Fuze) using WiFi

what is your device language?

did you use any special character for the password?

try to go in settings, and choose a new password using only characters from the english alphabet, I think it's an issue with character encoding! I think didn't test enough this part :(

Top Liked Posts