[Q] S4 keeps rebooting

Search This thread

The Chaser

Jul 26, 2013
Hello all,

I have a S4 in my hands.
Now the history of the Phone is as follows:

Customer tried to take out the sim card by force. And broke the metal plate.
Yesterday I replaced the microsim/sim slot. Testing the full Phone and ready to go.

Today I go back to the end customer for the same device.
It keeps rebooting after the samsung galaxy S4 white screen. And keeps going.

This is what I tried:
Updating to newest rom - no luck
Plugigng in into pc by cable - keeps rebooting with only showing the battery icon.
Try to go in recovery mode - not possible
Going into download mode - works
The little smash trick of YouTube (smash to table gently with side of power button down) - don't work

Any suggestions?

broodplank1337

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
So you are the employee that fixes phones and don't know what to do with a bootloop, but do know how to replace a simslot? I am somewhat confused..

A bootloop always has some cause.. check init.d script or so.

Code:
adb wait-for-device
adb shell chmod 000 /system/etc/init.d/*

at least get an adb connection and logcat,

Code:
adb wait-for-device
adb logcat -C

else you cannot say anything about the problem since you don't know the cause. (if debugging is disabled unpack boot.img and make changes in ram disk for enabling debugging/adb, then repack and reflash)

If download mode works just flash a custom recovery first, make a nandroid backup (make sure you secure the files whenever possible, since there is the nasty symlink "/data/media/" which is actually just /sdard. so if you wipe data manually it the nandroid backup will be gone), then try to do factory reset, if it doesn't work still, just reflash stock rom with odin + factory reset.

oh and for the record, the simslot being broken is not the cause of the bootloop, just that you know.

Last edited:

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Hi,

When you say "updating to newest ROM" do you mean that you flashed stock ROM again via Odin? If not, then that's my suggestion for you, but first I'd try factory resetting it via stock recovery.

~Lord

The Chaser

Jul 26, 2013
Thank you for Your kind reply.
Yes indeed, I fix a lot, but I have and know my limits. . I've tried a lot to pass the boot loop.
But if it's not possible to fix it for me. Than its better to ask.

I will try a custom rom. And keep you informed. Thank you.

The Chaser

Jul 26, 2013
Installing a rom with odin din't help. I got na Green PASS but bootloop keeps running.
Installing CWM did not help allso, it give me a PASS, but I can't enter recovery.

So, how do I get acces to init.d ?

iJo09

Aug 1, 2011
If recovery mode doesn't work and the device keeps rebooting, try to flash stock ROM with Odin and put the .PIT file after checking 'Re-Partition'

iJo09

Aug 1, 2011
Retry with the same procedure a couple of times... if this doesn't solve problems, then it's an hardware fault