[APP][2.2+] Impel - easily and automatically do things

Search This thread

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
peterevans9, thanks for the suggestion. We will certainly look into this, although I'm unsure of the timing for adding such a feature. Right now we have some fixes we would like to get into a new release that would help stability, but we can look at what it would take to add icon support.

For our future reference and research: How are you imagining this feature would work? Would you somehow provide your own image? Would the icon from the selected app be used automatically? Some other method would provide the icon?

Thanks for the input!

peterevans9

Apr 26, 2007
Use the App icon I suppose, this is how it is at moment.

Launching play store, fb, browser, Dock mode. The app icons would be a nice touch.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349820916987.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349820916987.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 429
Reactions: mstroud

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
peterevans9, thanks for the feedback. We are just beginning to work through all of the customization UI work on our other app, Recast, so I think we will probably wait until we have it figured out and stable there before including it into Impel. In any case, your suggestion is noted and we have it on our watch list now.

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
After a bit of a delay, we posted Impel 1.1.2 today for Google Play customers. Here are the highlights:

• New: Time repeating tasks - can now create events that occur every X hours and Y minutes
  • New: Some devices can now stop apps without root permission
  • Fixed cases where Android 4.x devices couldn't obtain Plus upgrade (big fix!)
  • Fixed cases where some devices experienced corrupt Impel task database (big fix!)
  • Fixed cases where app could hang if network or data service available

It is rolling out across the Play Store servers now. Amazon update will come later. Let us know how it works for you.

Sigvic

Dec 29, 2012
After a bit of a delay, we posted Impel 1.1.2 today for Google Play customers. Here are the highlights:

• New: Time repeating tasks - can now create events that occur every X hours and Y minutes
  • New: Some devices can now stop apps without root permission
  • Fixed cases where Android 4.x devices couldn't obtain Plus upgrade (big fix!)
  • Fixed cases where some devices experienced corrupt Impel task database (big fix!)
  • Fixed cases where app could hang if network or data service available

It is rolling out across the Play Store servers now. Amazon update will come later. Let us know how it works for you.

I've installed the new version today and the plus version is now correctly recognized on Nexus 4 and 7. As for memory usage it still seems a bit high, at 36mb on my N7 with 5 tasks on, and 71mb on my N4 with 9 tasks on. There are 7 and 14 mb taken up by the play store for the N7 and N4 respectively.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I'd like to make a couple requests that would much improve this app for me. First of all, I'd love to have the notion of setting a time range as a condition, to set for example a condition like "WiFi disabled AND time between 0800 and 0830".

Secondly, it would be nice to be able to set AND/OR relations between conditions, unless I'm mistaken it's currently only possible to use AND.

Finally, I was hoping to set a task to deactivate the screen lock when I connect to my home WiFi, but neither the "WiFi connected" condition nor the "disable screen lock" function works on my devices. Is this a 4.2 issue?

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
Sigvic, thanks for the feedback.

I have Impel running on two devices with me, a Galaxy Nexus (4.1.1) and a Nexus 10 (4.2.1) and the memory usage varies greatly by both device and OS version. On the Nexus 10, Impel uses only 4.3 MB when the UI is not in use or shown. On the Galaxy Nexus, Impel is using 28 MB while the UI is in the foreground. As soon as Impel is pushed into the background its memory usage will drop.

Time range conditions are already supported: Look at the "Only If" or "Restrictions" section of your task while editing it.

We don't have plans to support OR due to the large amount of negative feedback given during Impel's beta period. It was too difficult for the majority of folks to figure out and it led Impel to trigger when people didn't expect it to. I can ask again, but I don't see this as a near-term option.

Yes, the screen lock feature has been DOA since Android 4.0. Google has removed things they deem security risks, and disabling the lock screen was high on the list, evidently. I'm not aware of any way using published APIs to get around this limitation. WiFi triggers, however, do work fine.

winsettr

Oct 26, 2010
I just updated my Gnex to 4.2.1 (CM10.1M1) and Impel no longer deactivates wifi for me. I have tried my usual time trigger and tried a widget trigger without success. Interestingly, Impel has no problem turning wifi back on... Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
winsettr, thanks for letting us know. WiFi issues aren't something we've had reported as an issue before. We'll look into this and post back what we find out.

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
OK, we can reproduce the issue on our own Galaxy Nexus running CM 10.1, so we will look into it. Thanks for letting us know.

One odd thing, however: on the Nexus 10 with the same CM 10.1, 4.2.1 OS, the WiFi on/off features do work. Something odd is happening with the GalNexus, evidently.

Last edited:

winsettr

Oct 26, 2010
Interesting, looks like it might have been reverted in the nightlies. Thanks for the update.

winsettr

Oct 26, 2010
This issue was fixed for me by switching to the latest Lean Kernel. Thanks for the help!

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
Thanks for the update. We also just found that Google eliminated 3rd party APIs for toggling airplane mode, so this impacts Impel as well. Thanks for the non-notice, Google!

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
Özgürce, evidently Google has changed something in the Play Store recently with regards to currencies, pricing, or available markets. We have flagged Turkey as supported, so once Google pushes that change out to all its servers you should be able to get it. Sorry about that.

Reactions: Ozgurce

Lavie

Sep 25, 2009
Enable / Desable GPS on Galaxy S3 4G

Hello,

Impel+ version is installed on my Galaxy S3 4G (GT-I9305) with Android 4.1.2.

It seems that the task "enable GPS" doesn't work on Galaxy S3 4G when the event "bluetooth connected to my car" occurs.
Same for "disable GPS" when "bluetooth disconnected from my car"

Could you please check ?
thank you

mstroud

Jan 3, 2012
Sunnyvale
Lavie, since Android 4.0, Google no longer supports non-system apps having the ability to turn GPS on or off. This was something that Google gave no warning about and there is no way for us to re-enable the feature. This change impacted all task and widget apps, so there aren't any apps that support this function any longer that we are aware of.

Top Liked Posts